Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GSXR 1000 Go Kart
    A bit of background, I managed to pick up a really cheap GSXR1000 engine and need something to put it in. I have been throwing around a lot of ideas, but I already have a big headache of an offroad buggy, and don't want another huge project.

I came across this trolling through youtube the other day. Seems like it might be the way to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dZmroqr8yI&spfreload=10

Its basically a big go kart with a big engine. Looks like it has front suspension but a rigid back with a live axle. Hmmm, bit of a handful to drive but would be lots of fun. Its the sort of rear end that can be upgraded later on too.

I have checked into it and there is a class I could race it in here in oz with minimal fuss. Mainly hillclimb type events. I think if I'm not going full on suspension, and a crazy drivetrain in the back it should work out quite a cheap build too.

Any thoughts on any aspect of this? Design, cost, etc. If its going to end up more than a 4-6 month build, I will probably just start a new buggy, haha

2. Collapse Details
    Re: GSXR 1000 Go Kart
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Dude that makes the hair on back uf ma neck stand up . there a frickin thrill Go carts have always been a sore spot fer me LOL . I guess ya gota know me to understand that .
    Go for it explesh if ya got a track to run on , not the hiways
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

3. Collapse Details
    your gsxr has enough power to support a street legal car. Just saying..
    www.exocars.net - go carts if you don't have track close and handy.. it'd be a fun project but then what?

4. Collapse Details
    Yea save the motor for something else. Its way to much motor for a cart. I wonder if that 600 can even pull the same g's as a 125 shifter cart. Sure it would have a higher top speed but I think the over motored go carts slip out of the sweet spot with power to weight. I mean those tires are bigger but the contact patch is only slightly bigger than shifterkart tires. Shifterkarts with the low weight and simplistic design utilize those four contact patches so well.

Buy a used 125shifterkart, take it to whatever track you plan on running that thing (because you NEED a track like jers said) and if you come home wanting more out of it then .. well maybe. I promise a 125shifterkart will beat your ass, open your eyes and send you home whooped. Its not the same as a "little" 125cc dirtbike.
    This is getting to long soo.. yea.. save the motor for a full size buggy/car.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BorntoBraaap View Post
    Yea save the motor for something else. Its way to much motor for a cart. I wonder if that 600 can even pull the same g's as a 125 shifter cart. Sure it would have a higher top speed but I think the over motored go carts slip out of the sweet spot with power to weight. I mean those tires are bigger but the contact patch is only slightly bigger than shifterkart tires. Shifterkarts with the low weight and simplistic design utilize those four contact patches so well.

Buy a used 125shifterkart, take it to whatever track you plan on running that thing (because you NEED a track like jers said) and if you come home wanting more out of it then .. well maybe. I promise a 125shifterkart will beat your ass, open your eyes and send you home whooped. Its not the same as a "little" 125cc dirtbike.
    This is getting to long soo.. yea.. save the motor for a full size buggy/car.
    I got a chance a couple of years ago to drive one of my friends racing karts, as payment for helping him build his kart trailer. I'm not sure what class it was, but it was a mid range kart, not a shifter.

That was a holy sh!t moment. Your ass is so close to the ground I got out after the first few laps, and I literally thought I'd soiled myself (I hadn't). Took a day for my sphincter to recover to full sensation. I took a corner a bit to fast and spun out... I then took it way too fast, and it held the lines so easily. I agree, a shifter kart would be a wild ride.

Also, I have done a bit more digging, and came up with some info:
    They are called Formula Pacific Karts. The company is new and trying to set them up as a racing class.

http://www.facebook.com/formulapacificoz?fref=ts

An article:
    Formula Pacific: A New Series Emerges

Also found this... Looks like it handles pretty damn well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54C8i9acRaY&spfreload=10

To me there needs to be a much sturdier cage on that thing to make it even close to safe at those speeds, and I'm not really sure how a live axle would handle at those speeds.

I don't have a track nearby, but my father has a property with a BIG track about 20 mins drive away. They have track days there that I would be able to drive in. I visit him quite regularly and he is only an hour and a half away so quite close... I could imagine a lot more time spent at his on weekends, hahaha.

EDIT:
    I sent them a message about specs, and got this as a reply:

HP = 136,
    Wheelbase = 1800mm,
    Track(rear) = 1145mm,
    Track(front) = 1205mm,
    Dry Weight = 255Kg,
    Tye size = 18" hosiers on 10" rims (from 2 different sources.

In all honesty, I would have thought 255kg dry weight was quite a lot. for an oversized go kart. Must have a lot more structure to it than I originally thought.

EDIT (again):
    A build thread on these from another forum:
    KSR Race Car the fastest car per dollar available? - ADVrider

6. Collapse Details
    I just found this thread. I have largely given up on this idea, but I have to say, this is one awesome little car. looks like its a 'go kart' style build. Chain drive to solid rear axle, but with some suspension travel. Its only using rubber sleeves as shocks/springs . Front double A arms. Looks like a kart on steroids, with some simple benefits of big car racing

eFormulaCarNews.com :: View topic - KBS Mk7 F600 Conversion Build Log

http://www.cnysubies.com/forum/viewt...=4632&start=90

7. Collapse Details
    soo sick

8. Collapse Details
    I'd say find a rear diff out of a subaru or s2000 turn the engine sideways. And build an awesome street car. I love these things.

exocars.net is a decent forum to get some more ideas.

9. Collapse Details
    Diffs are heavy and give you weight problems in something like this... I agree though. The benefits will outweigh the disadvantage. Hate to think how taking a corner at 100mph with a locked rear would be...

10. Collapse Details
    Its not like you think. Solid rear axle only misbehaves at slow speed. The inside tire scrubs faster. When your at speed the frame flex's and most of the weight is on the outside tire. You dont notice..but... like you said above in this thread if your not attacking the corner it will push harder and when you get on it and come in hot and stay on the gas it will be on rails. You said you spun but it was over driving fighting the push then snapped loose.
    All just an opinion of mine though. One thing in racing there's no lack of theories.
    Im shutin up now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast