PDA

View Full Version : My ST3 Winter Project

Diesel62
12-07-2008, 11:13 AM
This is what ive been working on, I think it looks good.
I will be using a Honda 929 to power this thing. Just tacked welded so far. Almost to time to buy some shocks. Maybe Santa will leave them under the tree for me.

rowycoracing
12-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Nice!

Island Buggy
12-07-2008, 02:49 PM
I have steel coming tommorow to start a ST3 myself. Are you following the plans exactly or making some changes. Any tips on what you've done so far?

Diesel62
12-07-2008, 08:59 PM
For the Frame yes I followed the Plans. I will be changing the size of the tubing on the front end control arms.
Also will I will be using automotive type CV axles rather then follow there plans.
As far as tips, measure 3 make that 4 times then cut. measure more and weld :)and take your time.
Cutting tack welds sucks. Oh and order your plate kits well before you need them. I had mine cut by a buddy who has a waterjet so they turned out very nice.
Bushings for these. I found that a toyota truck leaf spring bushing with a teflon trailer insert in the bushing fits a 9/16 bolt nicely. plans call for 1/2 and i figured 1 size bigger for the control arm bolt couldnt hurt.

ttginc
12-08-2008, 12:24 AM
I too am working on an ST3 right now. I am using 930 CVs and 19.25 inch axles instead of the u-joints. I also am using 1.25 OD .109 tubing for the frame instead of the 1" black pipe the plans call for. I have a CB750 engine I am pulling out of my old mini buggy for power. I was a little disappointed with the ST3 plans as they left out some dimensions and didn't even include a bill of materials. How much steel did you use for the frame. I already bought 260 feet of tubing and I think that should be enough for the fram and chassis. I modified the suspension a great deal to move the pivot points closer to the center of the chassis for an arm length of about 20 inches. I am also going to put some miata rotors on the front wheels for more breaking as I intend to ride mostly on desert/trails with it. How much room do you have for the engine? The plans for the engine box are somewhat smaller that my older buggy but I don't want to extend the frame past 10 feet. Are you going to mount the engine on top of the rear carrier? I am going to do that but need to get an offset sprocket in order to do so with the CB750F engine. Good luck on your build. There aren't many ST3 builders on here so keep posting. As soon as I finish finals I should be able to put the frame together after christmas break.:)

Diesel62
12-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Wow 260 ft of tubing, I had 200 ft and i have about 40 ft left.
Yup the Plans leave a lot to be desired,a lot of it is very unclear and a few dimimensons just arent there. I worked around those problems. a few less hairs now. But with common sense and a good eyeball on the tape measure the frame came out fine.

I made the backend of mine 6 inchs longer so I can mount the 929 above and ahead of the drive plates. I wanted to keep center of gravity as low as possable, So the omissions in the plans didnt matter as a bit of it was my own design anyways. time will tell if it works or not.

Island Buggy
12-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Take lots of pics of your drivetrain, they'll be very helpful. My bosses brother owns a lazer cutter so I'm going to try that route. As far as bushings and that goes I think I'll turn those at work on the CNC lathe.

Keep us updated for sure, doesn't seem like many ST3's are being built.

Diesel62
12-12-2008, 10:04 PM
I think the rear is still the same as in the plans. been a few days and i cant remember what it is exactully. would have to measure it again to confirm.

Front Control arms for those interested.

wyattboche
01-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Hello,
I'm going to start the ST3 project here shortly.I'm going to make mine four wheel drive as I live in the colder climate.Kind of going with the UTV style and look.Going to be putting a Honda 500 Rubicon motor and drivetrain in with the option of having two and 4wheel drive. Would like to keep the overall width under 4 foot to keep it legal for wis state trails.Only thing I haven't fiqured out is how I'm going to run the front hubs.

Island Buggy
01-03-2009, 06:27 AM
As far as the hubs go, look at getting a set of rubicon knuckles off ebay and modifying your suspension to fit.

I have a pair of ST3's in progress but getting yours under four feet will be tough. The buggy frame itself is 48 inches wide. I wouldn't think you would be able to get much suspension travel without moving all your mounting points farther inside the buggy.

wyattboche
01-06-2009, 04:57 PM
The polaris RZR is 50 inches wide and thats the max. Neighbor has one and there's not much to the a-arms.How is the saeting? Like is there enough room side by side with another person sitting next to you?

Island Buggy
01-06-2009, 07:46 PM
The polaris RZR is 50 inches wide and thats the max. Neighbor has one and there's not much to the a-arms.How is the saeting? Like is there enough room side by side with another person sitting next to you?

There is plenty of room side by side. Or seems to be, I've just started bending tube and tacking it together. Not sure how you will pull off the 50 inch width. You'd have to sacrifice alot of travel to pull it off.

wyattboche
01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Have any pics of your progress?

wyattboche
01-25-2009, 09:18 PM
How much tubing is needed to build the ST3? Just the chassis not including the a-arms.

Diesel62
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Make your cut as what the plans state. If you have your plate work cut already(which you should before going any further). I highly recommend that you have all your plate work cutout before you even think about building the frame. you will find that the plate work also help Greatly when tryin to figure out placement/FItment of your frame.

I bought 200 ft of tubing, and I have about 20 ft left. Most of that will go when i build the rear control arms.

DO you have the cad file for the plates? if not pm me. I had to ask for that separately From badlands, it wasnt included with the online plans.

Feel free to Start your own build thread and let us know how it turns out.

wyattboche
01-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Make your cut as what the plans state. If you have your plate work cut already(which you should before going any further). I highly recommend that you have all your plate work cutout before you even think about building the frame. you will find that the plate work also help Greatly when tryin to figure out placement/FItment of your frame.

I bought 200 ft of tubing, and I have about 20 ft left. Most of that will go when i build the rear control arms.

DO you have the cad file for the plates? if not pm me. I had to ask for that separately From badlands, it wasnt included with the online plans.

Feel free to Start your own build thread and let us know how it turns out.

Not a problem. Thanks for the info.

Diesel62
01-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Spec for those who were asking.

ST3 Two Seater Specifications:
Wheelbase = 90" Wheel Track = 66"
Wheel Travel = up to 14"
Overall Length = 120"
Suspension = Independent Double A-arm (front & rear)
Steering = Rack & Pinion
Seating = 2 Bucket Seats
Braking = Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Weight = 700-800 lbs
Engine (recommended) = 600cc or larger Motorcycle engine

PrairieSlider
02-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Gentlemen, My brother and I are both building ST3s. They are coming along rather well. I have seen a lot of postings about the bushings. I got my from Kartek Off Road - Where Off-Road is On! (http://www.Kartek.com). They have exactly the size that is needed for the build. Incidently I see that a lot of people are using the Subie rearend with shaft drive engines. We are both using shaft drive engines. For the differentials we are using Eagle Talon LSDs (got mine on Ebay). They fit really well.

nutnbolt2002
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
PrairieS, what size of tube did you use for your bushings?

PrairieSlider
02-19-2009, 09:49 PM
They are Kartek P/N AFB-125 bushings (Urethane) with a 0.5" id and 1.070" od for 1" black pipe. Pretty standard. The phone number for Kartek is 951-737-2999

Diesel62
02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
A few pics of the progress so far.

FactoryPhil
02-23-2009, 08:10 PM
looking good:D

Wheels
02-23-2009, 09:32 PM
nice...

tydra
02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
hey man, your build looks good, i've always liked the badlands look (i'm building a modified ST2). the only thing that worries me is your rear suspension design. it looks like the same as the ST2. i never ended up building that design because everything i read said that they don`t hold up. i give it even less of a chance with the weight of two riders on it. are you adding extra bracing to it.

Diesel62
02-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Yes i will be adding more bracing to the rear, I got this far and have read everywhere as well about how weak the rear is if built to plans. So im currently looking for a honda manual transaxle to drive the rear. Then i will build around it.

Diesel62
02-28-2009, 09:35 PM
A little more progress this weekend. Front wheels and spindles mounted, tie rods and steering rack mounted. I managed to find a 88 Honda Accord manual transaxle with clutch disk and both axles. so thats also getting mocked up for my rear drive. Thanks goes to (Arrowhead) another builder on this site for his kewl idea. I will be building my rear arms to suit the shorter axle from the Accord for ease of Parts availabilty as well as using the front bearings and axle hub for my rears, for the same reason. why reinvent the wheel when you can just get them from the parts store.

TWR11
03-01-2009, 12:00 PM
A little more progress this weekend. Front wheels and spindles mounted, tie rods and steering rack mounted. I managed to find a 88 Honda Accord manual transaxle with clutch disk and both axles. so thats also getting mocked up for my rear drive. Thanks goes to (Arrowhead) another builder on this site for his kewl idea. I will be building my rear arms to suit the shorter axle from the Accord for ease of Parts availabilty as well as using the front bearings and axle hub for my rears, for the same reason. why reinvent the wheel when you can just get them from the parts store.

Wow it looks really good, this site is great for ideas, the technology has come a long way in the last five years since i built my buggy. looks like i might have to do some up grades.

TWR11
03-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I just got done reading all of Arrowheads posts, and now i would like to try the honda tranny as well. im glad that u didnt use the badland buggy gear box design it is very weak and for the last five years since i have built the buggy i have been replacing the shaft and bearings every winter, infact im in the middle of doing that right now. if i didnt have a ton of work to do on my bikes or seals to replace on my quad i would like to atempt this honda tranny this winter, but ill leave it for next winter. i was wondering where in alberta u live because if u lived close enuf maybe we could put our heads together on this.

sodman
03-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Hello westerners from an easterner
Having just finished my badlands sabertooth buggy, it seems funny to me that if this drive line from badlands is so pron to problems why has Bruce not redesigned it there are a far amount of these buggies being built ? No one seems to be happy with the design I know I wasn't less than 100 miles on it keyways stripped and keys bent out of shape (this with only 500 cc quad motor and CVT).
Keeps us other builders posted on Arrowheads design installeed into the badlands frame I've read his posts as well sounds like a good design
Good luck the build Sodman

Gene
03-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Good question Sodman. Continuous improvement is a virtue.

skmergen
03-02-2009, 04:18 AM
Great work.
I am also building a ST3 and I am at the stage of engine and drivetrain installation.
If you want my works are here Buggy Ýmalatý (http://www.gezenbilir.com/index.php?topic=24145.40)

Your solutions are very good examples for me.

Diesel62
03-14-2009, 11:00 PM
A little more weekend progress. Transaxle mounted. seats mounted. floor plates mounted.
time to start on the chain and input shaft drive.

ttginc
03-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Hey Diesel62, your build is looking good. What year transaxle did you use and what kind of axles are you going to use on the trans? I really like the idea of using a Honda trans as a secondary gearbox. Unfortunately I am too far into the current project to switch up ideas. I'd like the info for future reference. I did read Arrowheads thread, good info in there too. Also, are you going to run Fox Airs on your suspension?
Keep up the work, its looking nice. :)

Jeremy

Diesel62
03-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Transaxle is from 88 Honda Accord its a 5 speed, diff is welded. I have the cv axles (2 short side ones) and complete knuckles form both sides. I am going to build trailing arms to suit these axles. Using Fox 2.0 Airs for shocks. 4 inch one for the front, 16 inch on the rear.

ttginc
03-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Cool. I am going to use swingarm on my ST3 as well. Are they going to be a true trailing arm (static camber) or a semi-trailing (induced camber and toe through travel)? With the 4 inch fox airs in front, what kind of motion ratio are you using on the front arms? I am sure that you'll want more than 8 inches with just a 2:1 ratio, correct?

lonewolf79
03-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Hello! Do you have some pics of your front hub? I´m building a ST3 too! But i havent come so far, i´ve just cut all the tubes.

/John

Diesel62
04-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Couple shots of the front hubs.

Diesel62
04-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Engine and trans mounted. Input shaft and mount, chain and tensioner mounted. and playing with a bit of paint for color ideas.
Happy Easter everyone.

Gene
04-11-2009, 08:55 PM
That's a nice, clear shot of the Honda tranny connected to the engine along with the double pillow blocks to stabilize the tranny input shaft.

Thanks for the post. Keep it going!

Diesel62
04-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Few more shots of the tranny drive from different angles. Input shaft will be cut to proper length after i get a keyway cut into it.

Stomper
04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Very nice progress on your build. Thats a sharp looking buggy. I like the idea of the honda trans axle. Makes alot of sence, and not to bad on the ole pocket book either. How much angle do you think you will get out of the stock honda axle and cv's.
What type of tube does the st3 call for. I have the plans for the st2 and it calls for 1" pipe size with a .100 wall. Does the st3 call for this also.
By the way I'm gald to see some racks on your wall also, looks like you had some luck in the past. I also enjoy the thrill of a good hunt

Diesel62
04-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Yes the ST3 use's the same tubing as the ST2, there both a lot like each other ececpt for the the width, pretty much the same buggy just wider. Although I added 8 inchs to the rear to make room for the transaxle.

sodman
04-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey Diesel
The Honda tranny is looking good seems to fit in alright. What are putting in for rear suspension are you going with badlands design or your own ?
Just wondering where the output axels go is that going to put the cv to far back to work with an arm design ?
Can't learn if you don't ask questions.
Nice job on the build so far "Very nice work "
Sodman

Diesel62
04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Im going to try to design my own rear trailing arms. the Ones in the Badlands plans wont work with the mods ive done. This pic will hopefully help to show what i hope to end up with.

Gene
04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Good start. I would carry the shock mount in double shear and also add some bracing to the wheel bearing housing. Know what I mean?

tydra
04-19-2009, 01:36 PM
just to add a little clarity, the st2 call 1" pipe sized TUBE. pipe is measure by it's inside diameter, tube by it's outside. i used .120 wall, the tube measures 1.315" OD, for all the main tubing on my build. if i had to do it again though, id probably adjust the plans and use 1.5"x.095 that way the die for my bender would be a little more universal.

The Kar Audio Guy
04-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Few more shots of the tranny drive from different angles. Input shaft will be cut to proper length after i get a keyway cut into it.

I would look a bit closer to ArrowHeads post on the Honda tranny... he placed his pillow baers on either side of the drive sprocket... I'm wondering if yours on the outside will take up enough of the side load on the input shaft???

build looks great...

Diesel62
04-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah i know he did have his brgs on either side of the sprocket. I cant with my setup beacuse of how my input shaft is built. the shaft is 1.5 inch diameter so im hoping it will work.

b.c.bugger
04-19-2009, 05:46 PM
I would look a bit closer to ArrowHeads post on the Honda tranny... he placed his pillow baers on either side of the drive sprocket... I'm wondering if yours on the outside will take up enough of the side load on the input shaft???

build looks great...
exaxctly what I was thinking

arrowhead
04-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Sorry Diesel but you are about to start snapping off input shafts I canned three of them before I got it solved...
I just logged 950 sand miles at Glamis on the same chain but it's due for a new one now for the Oregon summer
Dale

TWR11
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Sorry Diesel but you are about to start snapping off input shafts I canned three of them before I got it solved...
I just logged 950 sand miles at Glamis on the same chain but it's due for a new one now for the Oregon summer
Dale

Dale i think if you were to move the engine over to the drivers side 2" or so it might fix the problem so you can fit the pillow block between the tranny and the sprocket.

Stomper
05-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Deisel62,
Just wondering how your project is comming along. I have been following it but have'nt seen any new posts lately. Please fill us in. Are you driving that beast yet.

Diesel62
07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Havnt done a thing on it since this spring, I had some medical issues come up and havnt been able to work in a very long long time so the toys had to get put on hold. Hopefully later this summer i can get back at it.

wyattboche
11-03-2009, 05:27 PM
diesel62 did you get the bushings yet? Any progress?

Diesel62
11-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah i got the bushings a while ago. sent you a pm when i got them. Sadly no project is on hold for a while yet. Not sure when i will be able to get back on it, hopefully soon.

wyattboche
11-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Just hopeing that you had the bushings installed and had some updates. Thats all.

Stomper
11-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Havnt done a thing on it since this spring, I had some medical issues come up and havnt been able to work in a very long long time so the toys had to get put on hold. Hopefully later this summer i can get back at it.

I hope everything is alright, and look forward to more on your build.

jumpin jellybean
11-08-2009, 06:20 PM
[smilie=alright.gif]sorry to hear about medical issues thats always a bummer. great work so far hope you get better soon hate to have man down for too long:D

ttginc
01-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Deisel62,
Any progress?