PDA

View Full Version : Quickshift Shifters

ghettosled
12-02-2008, 01:54 AM
i browsed through the search feature and looked at some old posts but is anyone using the electronic servo shifters? like the translogic or dynojet ones?

Ideally i would like to use both the morse cable method and clutch for regular driving and cruising, but have the ability to hold the throttle wide open and bang gears with the push of a button for drag races.

From the looks of it, nobody likes them for offroad applications due to wheel spin or wheel hop which makes the RPM vary too much.

I would think if you don't have the RPM shift point pre set, and you have the ability to control when it shifts, there would be no downside.

Any current thoughts, all the stuff i read was over a year old.

BMX1253
12-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Here (http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/projects-progress/9526-back-powdercoat-woooohooo.html)
There was a post about it a month or 2 back, I dont know how it panned out, just remembered that he had one. He might be able to help you out.

greasemnky
12-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Why even use the clutch?? I just slap shift my buggy once its rolling, and it works great. I really only drive it like that in sand, on trails its basiclly just always 2nd gear. But there's not much need for a fancy air shifter set up.

plkracer
12-02-2008, 12:08 PM
If you have a lot of wheelspin, the interrupt shifters do not kill the engine long enough to stop the wheels from spinning, so the shift will not be complete.

enemy
12-02-2008, 02:00 PM
If you have a lot of wheelspin, the interrupt shifters do not kill the engine long enough to stop the wheels from spinning, so the shift will not be complete.

Plkracer is right. I messed around with a PC interupt system quite a bit, but could not get it to work in all situations. In the sand I could do full throttle shift for 2nd and most of the time 3rd, but not the rest of the gears. Then, depending on the condition of the sand throughout the day, it would change on me as far as the interupt time and adjustment on the shift shaft sensor. BUT, on the pavement I could hit everygear without ever lifting the throttle. (pretty friggin sweet to have the front end lift on ya from a gear change!!:D) So, it has everything to do with wheel spin getting it to work, and, IMO, not worth the time. I do believe Masterfabr has had some quality time spent with an electric shift system but,if I remember right, didn't like it for it took all the "feel" out of driving the car. I can agree with that... Maybe he could chime in here and give us some more insight..

I want ME to be slamming through the gears, not a button. But to each their own!:p