PDA

View Full Version : No airflow to radiator...........

robndeb
12-01-2008, 08:21 PM
----------

David M
12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
You could put vents in the sides and duct air in.

robndeb
12-01-2008, 09:32 PM
----------

Gene
12-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Not yet. Going to with the R82.

busasandrail
12-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Are you having cooling problems?

Do you have any pics posted of your setup?

yoshi
12-02-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't recommend putting it in the wing, even a small rollover can destroy a radiator that would have otherwise prob. driven the rail away.

I mount mine in the back, about a 15 degree angle with a sucker fan, protected by the chassis....

Gene
12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Good point on the rollover. The current mount has the radiator oriented to blow boiling coolant in my direction. At the least it will get mounted to blow elsewhere.

The cooler would be independently mounted from the wing and protected during a rollover. Ideally it would blend in to the wing aesthetically.

standfast
12-02-2008, 03:03 PM
How big is that radiator Yoshi? I am wondering how big of rad I should put on my race car. I have one here that is a Civic radiator and one much bigger but will still fit on the car. Does your rad mounted like that keep it cool under constant heavy use?

robndeb
12-02-2008, 03:29 PM
--------

yoshi
12-02-2008, 03:49 PM
How big is that radiator Yoshi? I am wondering how big of rad I should put on my race car. I have one here that is a Civic radiator and one much bigger but will still fit on the car. Does your rad mounted like that keep it cool under constant heavy use?

24x14x2". It has a highflow fan with shroud and i've never had any cooling issues..

455bird
12-02-2008, 06:44 PM
My radiator use to sit in the same place and I was over heating all the time so I moved it to the side and I was still over heating. Then I found that my separator plate in my radiator was broke got that fixed and no more overheating. I did put in some scoops donít know it helped or not but I did that a long time ago. If you need some better pictures let me know.

robndeb
12-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Then I found that my separator plate in my radiator was broke got that fixed and no more overheating.

------

nutz4sand
12-02-2008, 08:59 PM
http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/cooling/9416-radiator.html#post146482

Check that link out Rob.

You can see in the pictures of 455bird radiator. Then Busasandrail shows a picture of his radiator. You can see the little weld line around the middle of the right side tank. That holds the separator in place.

Scince both coolant in and out are on the same side there needs to be a separator in the middle to make the coolant flow through the radiator.

455's buggy would get hot cause the little separator was missing or damaged and not forcing the coolant through the tubes. It was going in the top and flowing out the bottom with little to no cooling.

robndeb
12-02-2008, 09:09 PM
------

Dunepilot
12-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Might look into the following:

Look into fans with more CFM (cubic feet per minute). Check the SPAL USA website. SPAL USA - The Industry Leader in High-Performance Automotive Parts and Accessories (http://www.spalusa.com). They have a terrific site, lots of technical information and on-line shopping.

Change the fan switch. The thermister which turns on the fans. If they are coming on at 200F with shut-off at 180/185F, they may not be able to keep up. Try one which comes on at a lower temp.

Check the fins. Sand can plug them and/or the fins might be damaged.

Coolant concentration. Is it biased towards water or anti-freeze? For me, 50/50 mix works best when I ride at Glamis.

robndeb
12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
------

nutz4sand
12-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Check out the wiring on your rail Rob. Are the fans routed from the battery thru switchs on your panel/dash then all the way back to the fans?

Making that circuit activate a relay (If it already is not wired up that way) gives more power to the fans and the same goes for lights. A high quality relay should not use much juice to hold the circuit on.

There are companys that make harnesses for cars (Painless wiring is one)
Thats plug in (for common automaker cars). Then instead of power going from the battery all the way into the dash and bck out to the headlights it goes right from the battery thru the relay. The headlights are much better after these are installed. The extra power would help fans too.

If you are not getting great power to the fans you have and put better fans in if they try to draw more juice they may seem weak too.

robndeb
12-03-2008, 06:24 PM
--------

nutz4sand
12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
A relay to be most effective should be in inline from the battery in as short as possible rotute to what it feeds with proper sized wire.

The relay wires can run anywhere to the switches with little effect.

robndeb
12-04-2008, 07:12 PM
---------