PDA

View Full Version : need brake line fitting installation help

stress
11-22-2008, 08:44 PM
I need to shorten some of my steel braided brake lines. I got Earl's Speed-Seal brake line fittings. I cut the line and installed the Earl's fitting and the line leaked after wards, so I am doing some thing wrong. I looked on line for a web site that shows how to install Earl's fitting, but I can not find anything. Does anybody know of a web site that gives the installation steps for Earl's Speed-Seal brake line fitting on to steel braided lines?

plkracer
11-22-2008, 09:00 PM
I need to shorten some of my steel braided brake lines. I got Earl's Speed-Seal brake line fittings. I cut the line and installed the Earl's fitting and the line leaked after wards, so I am doing some thing wrong. I looked on line for a web site that shows how to install Earl's fitting, but I can not find anything. Does anybody know of a web site that gives the installation steps for Earl's Speed-Seal brake line fitting on to steel braided lines?

I thought you had to use the hose with the special end on them to use the speed seal fittings? I'd call them up to be sure. At summit they have hoses that say speed seal, and they have a little collar on the end, not a typical fitting.

K-fab
11-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Cut the hose to length.

Wrap the hose w/electrical tape - 3-4 turns worth as tightly as you can and then cut it with a cut off wheel or a set of bolt cutters.

Make sure you get the cut as square to the hose as possible. An angled cut can cause issues.

Slide the "nut" over the end of the hose and down out of the way 3-4". Remove the tape.

Sort of spread the steel braid outward - like a flower opens exposing the Teflon tube.

Install the brass olive on the end of the Teflon tube. It will fit like a cap. Make sure you push it down until it seats against the end of the Teflon tube.

Push the end of the line into the hose - the little tit will fit through the brass olive. Make sure it's snug up against the olive.

Slide the nut upwards and start spinning it on. A dab of lube on the threads of the end will help this a lot.

Snug the nut up until nice and tight. You can torque these down fairly tight w/o damage, but don't get all gorilla fisted with it.

That should do it.

Two main points - cut the end square and make sure there are no steel wires under the nut when you push it on the end of the Teflon tube.

If you can do this w/o sticking at least one of those little, sharp bastard steel wires into your finger, you are a Steel Braided Line God. Be warned them suckers HURT.

stress
11-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Kfab should I trim the steel braid back to the edge where the teflon and olive meet or let it set on top of olive? The tube I did that leaked I trimed the steel braid back to the edge where the teflon and olive meet.

K-fab
11-23-2008, 06:32 PM
I always cut straight through and I don't trim anything.