PDA

View Full Version : ProtoDie ProtoLite 600 Sand dunes Video

ProtoDie
11-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Well after a few years, I finally put together some sand dunes video action.
We went to Silver Lake a few weeks back and shot some pics and some video. We had some great dunes perfect for jumping.

We had a problem with the video camera operator though.
(my Dad did not know how to run the zoom, or the on off button:confused:)
So we got good pictures of lots of air, but very little usable video.

Which gave us a good excuse to go back the following week:D

The dunes had changed and we did not find a good "air" dune / jump again, which was a bummer.

Any how, here is a link to the sand video
just click on the Sand Demo tab, and it may take a few minutes to load.

Protolite mini buggy ,design, Fabrication,Racing Michigan (http://www.protodie.com/protolite_racing.html)

TutTech
11-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Wow that was so cool. Nice.
The jumping was good and it all just looked like a blast.
Looks like it had just rained maybe too?

Man your cars just scoot and those are 600! wow very cool.

[smilie=thumbs_up.g:[smilie=thumbs_up.g:

ProtoDie
11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks Tut
Ya ,I have been real pleased with the GSXR 600's performance.

I hope to design and build a 2 seater in the next year. Then I may put a bigger motor in that, but for our single seaters the 600 seems just fine,,,,,and cheaper too.

TutTech
11-07-2008, 02:05 PM
I just watched it again and I noticed at the top of one of the dunes you turn and sort of come over a lip at the same time, in the shot before you actually come up enough for you paddles to rpm up and throw a little dirt well on this run you sort of are turning more and your inner tire comes off the ground and your outer wheel almost does too. Man almost pulled a small wheelie out of it. Around the 2:45 second point. Plus the little jump behind the tree at like 4 minutes. Cool little action shots.
Was that wide open when you took off from the wet area across the valley floor?
It was all good and thanks for sharing makes me want to go play.

It really runs great and sounds awesome. Very strong and to see both cars run is cool.
I really want to get more into this type of buggy but my experience etc. and the racing local to me
is bigger stuff shoot my car is the mini on the track. :o

Well looks like you had a blast I look forward to seeing your 2 seater.
Oh question what size paddles and tires/rims are you running and do you like them?
Seems like maybe you could go a little bigger back paddle as you seemed to have the power
for it but heck I am only watching a video so what do I know.
;):D

ProtoDie
11-07-2008, 02:14 PM
We are running a GBC sand shark paddle 20x11x10 on Douglas red label 10 x 8 rims

The smaller tire helps us maintain the same gear ratio we normally run .

I have been pleased with how they perform. It is a directional paddle to help with turning.

Some of the video is when I am running shredder nobbies on the rear. They also worked good, but do not hook up quite as well as paddles.

With the paddles, I was spinning the tire on the rim a little on the flat wet hard pack sand,,,,,,,,,,when I dumped the clutch at 9000 rpms:D

The cars are very stable, and I am not afraid to crank the wheel hard when haulin arss,,,,,,,yup,,,fun

plkracer
11-07-2008, 02:39 PM
The gsxr's have pretty good power. In my vid, the last runs on the road were under full power. I was in 6th when I was coming toward my cousin, but the wheels started to spin and the back end got loose so I let off. Out in the dirt I only opened it up once, and that was when I locked up the wheels trying to slow down for the turn. That was in second gear, starting about 4000 rpm.

Proto, what size is your rear sprocket?

ProtoDie
11-07-2008, 02:47 PM
12 in the front & 54 in the rear, with 20" tires

Gearing seems pretty good for what we do. If I ever go to larger tires, I would want to increase the sprocket size too.

plkracer
11-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Your pretty low then. I'm set up with a 13-60 and 25-27 inch tires. What is your top speed?

ProtoDie
11-07-2008, 03:02 PM
On paper, it calculates out to just under 130 mph.

I have had it 94 mph in mid 4th it was still pulling good,,,but ran out of road.

So I am guessing the calculations could be close, but I will have to see for myself:)

I just added a in car video to the website.
Nothing too crazy, but it is what we had.

just click on the sand in car video

Protolite mini buggy ,design, Fabrication,Racing Michigan (http://www.protodie.com/protolite_racing.html)

plkracer
11-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Oh wow, it must be the internal gearing differences between the 750/600, or just the rpm they turn, but I'm calculated to go about 105 with the 25's. My cousin had it up to about 90, and he said the rpm's were past 10,000 in 6th.

ProtoDie
11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
The 600's redline at 15-16000 rpms. What does the 750 redline at?

Bugpac
11-07-2008, 04:45 PM
The 600's redline at 15-16000 rpms. What does the 750 redline at?

Really, the minisprint guys are pushing 15300 with a majic box... Hard as hell on them tho, i was thinking gixxers were like 13400 redline. Maybe i am wrong...

Bugpac
11-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Wow i guess the yrs really vary in rpm...

http://www.hyperracing.com/docs/Engine%20Specs.pdf

plkracer
11-07-2008, 04:54 PM
01-03 is 13,700.

RickS.
11-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Damn this dial up, some of these videos just never load up!

rowycoracing
11-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Very nice Proto!

Xcalibur
11-07-2008, 11:17 PM
nice pics from the dune bro...... too bad they closed for the year or we'd meet ya out there ... blake, dave, and I have been pluggin' away at our 2 seaters.... hope to have em done by april fools for opening weekend !!!! ... thanks for the shop tour and inspiration this summer too man !

yummi
11-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Nice quality vids. Sounds great.

ProtoDie
11-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks Guys,
Rick, sorry about the dial up. They are large files & take a couple of minutes to load on my computer with hi speed internet.
Hope you can get them to work.

Blake, you guys are welcome out to the shop any time. Hope you guys get yours done thru the winter.

Xcalibur
11-08-2008, 10:29 PM
still hangin there on wednesdays ?

ProtoDie
11-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Sometimes tuesday, sometimes Wednesday. Just give me a call, or email before you swing out

bigden82
12-22-2008, 01:10 PM
I just found out about you guys when looking on ebay. That is a great looking machine and looks like alot of fun. I love off road and am thrilled to see more guys working to make off road racing a sport for the regular guy. Are these going to production? Great work guys. I would love to come check one out sometime.

ProtoDie
12-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Thank you very much.
My shop is always open to anyone who wants to come check one out.

We have full production capabilties of these,,,just need the people to put in the driver seats:)

I will be starting to build the next generation of these in the next couple of weeks, and then the goal is to offer plans to the home builder.
If that does not get more people to the track,,,,,,,,then I do not know what will.

bigden82
12-23-2008, 05:36 AM
I would love to run our rides together sometime. Here is a few pics of mine. It is a trophykart elite with a KX250f motor. They are the same idea of getting the regular guy into offroad style racing. These type of machines can be a huge hit here. It is just getting them started. Safety is the key for me at 32yrs old. I have to go to work the next day and owning machines like these that is never a problem. Home build plans are an awsome idea because people can build them with there kids and at there own pace. That should get more people involved for sure.

ProtoDie
12-23-2008, 05:44 AM
I have checked them out before , they look fun.

What kind of specs are the trophy carts?

Weight
HP
Width
Wheelbase
travel
Rollcage material

bigden82
12-23-2008, 06:00 AM
They are a ball. But not near as fast as yours. Mine does about 75-80MPH
35-38hp (5 speed)
weight about 450lbs
width 55"
Wheelbase 70" Just went out and measured (COLD)
Travel 15" front 18" rear
Chromoly Cage
About 10' long bumper to bumper

I think we are close in size.

Xcalibur
12-26-2008, 09:11 AM
hey jody, this i seen the rail on ebay and craiglist, you doin' a 2 seater now or what :D
we need to swing by again soon and do the wed. beerathon !!!

ProtoDie
12-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Still going to build a single seat racer to replace it.
But,,,,,,,I am also working on a 2 seat design right now too.

Sure, you guys should definitley swing out again.

daaboots
12-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Great videos. Very fast machine!