PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Seat!

Kawabuggy
10-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Like the title says-I need a seat. I'm on a budget. Can anyone recommend a decent seat that would work with a 5 point harness?

Next question-has anyone here ever built a spring equipped base for their seat to make their own suspension seat? I have been playing with this idea & wondered if anyone else has done it.

Odyknuck
10-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Latest rage makes a decent Supension seat for around $150.00. They are about the smallest of the ones avalable and would work well in a Buggy.

punkur67
10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Suspension seats are not on springs. You are suspended from the seat frame not sittiing on it like a spring seat.

Kawabuggy
10-30-2008, 04:32 PM
I see. What would it hurt though if you had something to guide the seat to keep it from moving off center, or spinning, and then putting springs under the seat? I was questioning not so much HOW suspension seats are made, more so I just wanted to know if it is something that anyone else has attempted.

Bugpac
10-30-2008, 05:36 PM
springs would compress and loosen the seat belts etc, basically a suspension seat has a cloth like fabric drawn taunt across the outer perimeter tubes, so your not on a hard surface, it flexis some, but no were near what a spring seat would...

Islander
10-30-2008, 08:59 PM
They were working on a suspended seat for monster trucks. They were mounting the seat on two upright bars in the cage, internal springs and harness' mounted to the sliding frame. Not really useful in a buggy for size restraints IMO, but it has been worked on.

nutz4sand
10-31-2008, 12:52 AM
I used to think about that. Mount the seat and seatbelt to a mini frame and mount that on tiny suspension arms for an extra bit of travel. Neat idea and do-able but worth it? The added weight and cost may be better put into more of the normal suspension. If the seat itself had to or could move it would need shocks/springs at least as good as at the wheels to keep the seat from getting more out of hand that the main chassis. Sure the seat is less weight but the shocks would likely be smaller than the wheel ones and would have to be decent.

Even if you had the seatbelts and seat attached to a common mini suspended frame you could/might have a hard time pressing on a brake pedal or the like. The seat may lift when you need down pressure to stop. So you would literally have to have ALL the controls mounted to a common mini inner suspended cage I would think for the controls to be where you adjusted them to. Gets back to complication and weight penalty.

You might get aways with a few inches if you had Honda Pilot like controls (all hand) or built a sled motor unit and used the sleds handlebars for complete control like the sled did. Heck the steering shaft could be made with quality U-joints and float with you.

It all comes back to the added weight tradeoff. Spending a bit extra on a better quality seat would seem to be a better way but not saying that it cannot or should not be thought about and tried somewhere.

Islander
10-31-2008, 05:04 AM
I think that the main purpose of having the floating seat in the trucks was more of to keep the driver from major back injury when landing those 10,000lbs trucks from the jumps when they hit 20-30' in the air, with a flat landing. Not to say that buggies don't hit the same kind of air, but most of us will never do it.

I think that if I was to do it, I would have the seat springs much stiffer than the wheel suspension, and it would only move to save your tailbone on a bottom-out. But again, probably to much weight and complexity for most mini buggies, IMHO

nutz4sand
10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
If you used steel springs then if a different weight person got in it it might be an issue. If you put pivots on the front seat mounts and mounted the back on little airbags then you could crank the air in them up easy to give support yet still have give for HARD hits and be able to push the pedals. The back is when hard hits "hit" you.

Semi-tractors seats use air ride to make millions of miles easier on the back. Yet they can still manhandle a heavy clutch and brake pedal. These whole seats move up and down. If I was gonna have a go at this I would look at just how they make it work first. They are also a good place to find the little airbags. Jsut a thought

You will also need a good bit taller cage than a non floating seat for head clearance. It might ruin the look you were going for but at a good potential tradeoff if you could make it work.

Islander
10-31-2008, 10:09 AM
The suspension system on a truck's seat is almost a foot tall, but you could probably design your own linkage to make it work in a much smaller area, and I do like the airbag idea.

nutz4sand
10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Yah I was think that its a pretty tall system as well to accomodate drivers of all heights lol. I figured most would look at it but go for more like three inches or so. More than that and the buggy cage is gonna start getting big.

Kawabuggy
10-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Nutz4sand hit on something that I like.. If the front of the seat was hinged, you could then put something simple like rubber bumpers under the rear most points of the seat that would give at least a little if/when the buggy bottoms out. I don't necessarily want a "floater" for a seat, just something to protect my back in the event I bottom it out. With rubber bushings, I think I could find some that would crush at least 1 full inch under a hard hit, and that may be all it takes to save a spinal injury. Heck, even a set of valve springs in the back that would support my full weight, and yet give under an increased load may work. If the right springs are used, it may work out well, keeping the distance traveled between compressed and released under 2" shouldn't affect seat belt tension.

An added benefit of having the seat hinged in the front would be that you could lift the seat to have easier access to the motor, as long as the seat has enough clearance before it hits the steering wheel.

I like it! I'll figure something out to see if I can make it work.

nutz4sand
10-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Technically the seatbelt holds you mostly when you are thrown against it. So the seat would be up at its highest point in most frontal or going over mishaps. When you are being compressed downward the only strap in a setbelt that would be doing much is the anti-submarine strap (thru the legs). And thats if you land on the nose off a big jump or other "whoops"!

I would question how well this front hinge rear spring would really work in the most common jolt I see off road and thats when you hit something with the front end and the front gets kicked upward. The hinge would transmit most of this force to the seat still it seems. It might be of good benefit to figure a way for the common jolt and the seats movement to be opposite somehow so the seat gives when you hit a big bump with the front or land hard. I will mess with a few sketches and see if I cannot spawn a way to do it. I am not sure just a hinge at one end will do it well. It would work in one plane. Straight down. So it would help. But could a better way be found thats not much harder that allow the whole seat to move??

Islander
10-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Two words, lawn tractor!!

tinman
10-31-2008, 09:17 PM
I made my seat from 3/4 allum pipe. The wove a fabric from 1in strapping. Super light, & the frame acts as a spring.