PDA

View Full Version : 2 piece drive sprocket success?

Pingu
10-22-2008, 11:05 AM
just wondering if anyone has successfully used any 2 piece sprockets, we were thinking about giving it a try for easy gearing changes but were worried about durability. thanks!

nutz4sand
10-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I have seen two piece sprockets live in minibuggies behind big street bike motors. You NEED a solid mount and true alignment and you should have no problems with a good one.

Gene
10-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I made a backing plate for mine that was two pieces and offset from the sprocket. If I was running a sprocket today I would continue with that backing plate because it stops the sprocket from wiggling.

dragracer
10-22-2008, 10:02 PM
good idea admin if you sanwiched the sproket it would have utmost stability for tracking issues!

umbaja2009
12-28-2008, 11:54 PM
We ran two piece sprockets two years ago and had no problems with them. I am not entirely sure why we ran the 2 piece, but i know we had a tough time with the chain lining up where the two halfs met.

yoshi
12-29-2008, 07:43 AM
been running them for 4 years, never had any problems...

Gene
12-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Yoshi,
Would you please show a picture of the backside of that sprocket (NWDUners car?) so we can see how much of the sprocket surface is mated to the carrier flange?

My original Sick car had a split sprocket that was carried on the outboard side of the sprocket by the inner side of the CV. So the CV bolts had to pass though teh CV then carry the sprocket. In my case I put a backing plate that was larger diameter than the CV between the sprocket and carrier to distribute load.

Also the picture you posted has a tensioning setup different than the cam type mentioned in many threads. You indicated yo had a new design. Is this it or is this first generation. Are you ready to spill the beans on the new one if this is old?

XRH348
12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
nice shade of blue, whats its name, apart from BLUE

yoshi
12-29-2008, 09:15 PM
nice shade of blue, whats its name, apart from BLUE
just a candy blue I picked out at the local powdercoater, didn't look at the name, just pointed at the sample plate they had and called it good....

Yoshi,
Would you please show a picture of the backside of that sprocket (NWDUners car?) so we can see how much of the sprocket surface is mated to the carrier flange?

My original Sick car had a split sprocket that was carried on the outboard side of the sprocket by the inner side of the CV. So the CV bolts had to pass though teh CV then carry the sprocket. In my case I put a backing plate that was larger diameter than the CV between the sprocket and carrier to distribute load.

Also the picture you posted has a tensioning setup different than the cam type mentioned in many threads. You indicated yo had a new design. Is this it or is this first generation. Are you ready to spill the beans on the new one if this is old?
The sprocket's separate from the cv, you can replace the sprocket without removing any of the cv bolts.

No, this is not the new design, I am currently prototyping my own micro stubs, once it's completed, i'll figure out how to use one of the micro stubs in a new carrier, but it will prob. be a while before it's done. After it's complete, i'll start offering the sprocket drive as my base model and take a few grand off my rail getting it back under 30k.....

atomicjoe23
06-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I know this thread is a little old, but just a heads up if this is for actual SAE Mini Baja competition. . .

. . .you CANNOT change the gearing during the competition!!! Part of the technical inspection requires you to write your final drive gearing (for CVT) down on the inspection sheet and sign it. . .if you place in the top 10 SAE will impound the vehicle IMMEDIATELY following the race and if the gearing is other than what is written down on the drivetrain inspection sheet you WILL be disqualified!!! NO exceptions. . .

. . .this was a big deal for us because we were running a manual transmission and because of that we had to list the gearing for each gear. . .if we were off in any gear we would be disqualified. . .

. . .so your gearing has to be a best case compromise, we wanted to be able to change gearing as well and showed up with 3 different axle sprockets so that we could. . .unfortunately this isn't mentioned anywhere in the rules and it isn't something you find out until you are going through tech inspection. . .you may not even find it out then. . .our inspector was pretty cool and gave us the heads up. . .

. . .just don't want you to get DQ'd for something that isn't necessarily your fault. . .