PDA

View Full Version : R&P questions

voodoochikin04
09-13-2008, 08:49 PM
so i have this power rack and pinion. it turns effortlessly even though its not hooked to a pump. i just plugged the input and output fluid holes and called it good. my question is am i gonna ruin it running it like that?

K-fab
09-14-2008, 10:57 AM
The only thing I can think of is where is the fluid going? Is it a hydraulic ram style or a rotary style? If it's a ram, then the fluid has to be displaced - so tie the two ports together so the fluid can move back and forth between the two chambers.

Other than that, I can't see why it would hurt anything. The power side just helps out with the mechanical (what you're using) side.

I really know nothing about a power steering setup other than the one I've been working on getting installed on the 10Dez, so my info's probably fairly useless. :(

nutz4sand
09-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree with K-fab. Connect the ports so it can "breath" between the two sides. It may move fine now and may forever. But it there is any fluid in it and it gets taken to one side in a off camber hill or something it could inhibit or potentially lock the steering if the fluid gets trapped in a pocket (This as K-Fab stated depends on the design). Thats not good trying to avoid a tree or rock (or person!).

Heck once the ports are conndected I WOULD make sure it has a tiny bit of fluid in it to keep it lubed.

voodoochikin04
09-14-2008, 12:49 PM
it doesnt have a ram style assit on it.. the two lines go into the part where the pinion shaft is. then two lines come from there and go to the rack housing. i emptied the fluid and put a few ounces of 90 wt gear oil in it for lube... seems to work great.. i left all the lines attatched except the the input and output from the pump. i guess time will tell.. i put updated pics of my buggy with the rack on it, in my build thread. thanks for the info guys.. -Matt