PDA

View Full Version : FL400R Drive Shaft Removal

166duncan
08-22-2008, 02:11 PM
can anyone sugest the best way to remove the drive shafts on my honda pilot, they seem to be stuck. i need them off to replace the cv boots

odypilots
08-22-2008, 02:42 PM
There are different ways to get them out that can be found on

http://www.pilot-odyssey.com

But the boots can be changed without pulling the stub from the trans. You just take the big clamp off the inner boot and push it back. Wipe the grease out of the way and remove the snap ring. Then you can slide the inner cv apart. Watch out because the balls can fall out of the race.

nutz4sand
08-22-2008, 04:24 PM
If the shafts will not pop out its likely that mud (or rust) has built up behind the little clips that hold them in. Tip the machine on its side and spray your favorite soaking/penetrating oil in. Leave it on its side and after a few days flip it to the other side. Then repeat. I have even heard of people taking the machine to a pressure washer and spraying in there with high pressure for a good while. This will help clean out mud it the machine was a mud bogger. Once you are done spraying and get them out dry it out and or soak it with wd-40 to prevent potential rust

The real trick is to be able to pop the cv with some force. Here is how I had to do mine. This has worked for many people (Except Jay on this board. hes got the winner of stubborn)

Pilot-Odyssey.com - Main Topic - Easy pilot CV shaft removal (http://www.pilot-odyssey.com/8525687400459A41/0/053fefa78a9b653f05256ea80065e024!OpenDocument)

Follow that link thru and there are even pics. Make sure you have someone hold the shaft or something (thick styrofoam) on the floor so when it does pop out it does not damage the shaft when it hits the floor.

Bugpac
08-22-2008, 04:49 PM
There are different ways to get them out that can be found on

http://www.pilot-odyssey.com

But the boots can be changed without pulling the stub from the trans. You just take the big clamp off the inner boot and push it back. Wipe the grease out of the way and remove the snap ring. Then you can slide the inner cv apart. Watch out because the balls can fall out of the race.

Id try this way first....

nutz4sand
08-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Id try this way first....

I would not and heres why. IF they are stuck they will only get worse over time. Unless you just fixing it to sell it.

If you plan on keeping it get them out now. Clean the living snot out of it and use antiseize and or grease and regrease each season.

The longer you wait the worse it will be. But thats why I would get them out now. Just my opinion on it. Bill

jumpin jellybean
08-22-2008, 06:33 PM
good advice bill it will only get worse guy brought in a 79 f150 and he said wanted oil change he couldn't get the drain plug out so he was just using a siphon and tube to suck out oil for who know's how long but half mooned a 7/8 snap on wrench[smilie=banghead.gi:[smilie=evilmad.gif][smilie=lmao.gif] get it out and clean it up

Bugpac
08-22-2008, 06:36 PM
chances are you will never need to take them out anyway, And in 3 yrs when you do decide to, they will be just as damn tight as they are now....

Hoodlum
08-23-2008, 12:44 AM
If you are at the last resort and a slide hammer won't get them out, drill a 3/8 hole in the center of one of the stubs...Drill all the way through, being careful to stay centered and straight in the axle stub...Once you are through,stick a 1/4 " steel rod in there and knock the other side out with a hammer...Then take a 3/4 rod and knock out the side with the hole in it....I have done a couple of very stubborn ones like this, and it works well...Haven't had any problems with the stub being weakened enough to cause problems either...
Hoodlum

166duncan
08-24-2008, 01:53 AM
love your pics / idea, i am intending keeping the pilot so i need to get them out

LEE1969GB
08-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Hi there, nice to see some one else from this side of the pond (even if you are from scotland LOL) Why do you need to get them out? Run them until they start to slip then they will come out easily, I have a spare gearbox, is yours broken?

LEE1969GB
08-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Sorry it looks like I and a few others thought you ment getting the inner cv's out of the gearbox (which is a problem on pilots) As someone said there is a wire ring on the inside edge of the inner cv, just get a small screwdriver under it and pull it out. subaru impreza boots look about the same size>

166duncan
08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
nutz4sand, got both drive shafts out in fifteen minutes using the clamps and chains. thank you for the Photos / idea.

Regards Paul

nutz4sand
08-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Your very welcome and glad to hear it. If there is any damage to the spring clips on the inner splines replace them. There are two sizes and it usually ard to tell which so order both (they are cheap) Clean it well and use either antisieze or grease. I prefer grease and if you pop them apart once a year and clean and regrease they will always come right out. Bill

plkracer
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
We use jeep cj5's to haul hop trailers around, and use the same technique to pull the rear axles out. The 5 lb slide hammer didn't prove too helpful, abut some big 1/2 chain and a few good whacks popped the axle out, with some serious force. Luckily we haven't had to do this for a couple years now since we switched to yukon 1 piece axles. Cheap aftermarket axles are not worth the price and hassle.

Jay1823
08-26-2008, 08:52 PM
nutz4sand, got both drive shafts out in fifteen minutes using the clamps and chains. thank you for the Photos / idea.

Regards Paul

Wish mine came out that easy, would have saved me from doing alot of swearing and throwing of hammers.

166duncan
08-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Jay, i had no hammers left to throw, if nutz4sand had not sent me the photos i would have set the pilot on fire.

166duncan
08-27-2008, 01:31 AM
LEE1969GB, There is nothing wrong with staying in scotland. PLENTY OF RAIN. Do you know of anyone who has a spare CASE,L REDUCTION part no, 21201HE0670 I need this for my 1989 FL400R HONDA PILOT