PDA

View Full Version : new build Kaw 340 wiring help needed big time

my1500.net
08-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Hello all, I have been lurking for some time & have started a buggy build which is almost finished but have run into a problem.

I am using a Kawasaki 340 twin with a CVT in my buggy but have become stuck on the wiring for the lighting coil & regulator. I have a 1 wire regulator & 3 wires coming out of the coil 2 yellow ones & 1 brown one. The way I have it hooked up now is very wrong & I will see tomorrow if I fried the coil or not.

I need to know how to wire this thing up to charge the battery as I have an elec starter, I was going to take it on it's maiden voyage this weekend but now it is not looking so good.

Here is what I have been building:
New buggy build!!! (http://www.buggynews.com/topic14222.html)

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

whiplash
08-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Sorry I can't help but that is a great build looks cool! I hope it works out for you. Will it fire at all at this point? If so get it running and use a multi meter to determine what wire is charging? Maybe that will work?

beeze455
08-22-2008, 01:41 PM
What kind of sled did this come from? Invader perhaps? Got the year?

Could you draw what you have done so far?

I assume you have two wires that leave the magneto/engine go into the CDI and into the coil and into the spark plugs.

I assume the other group of wires would be lights and ignition and stuff.

my1500.net
08-22-2008, 06:58 PM
This is what I have to follow as all of the other diagrams I can find are either CDI or have a multi wire regulator. I believe that I fried it although I did hook it up like the diagram shows, but I may be reading it wrong. The red is what I hooked up.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jameschartman/my%20wiring.jpg

my1500.net
08-22-2008, 07:03 PM
If that picture is too big I will make it smaller.

I now have all of the other wiring, brake lines & everything else done & it is ready for a test drive except for the charging circuit.

jumpin jellybean
08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
you must have fried it:( as from the diagram you have it hooked up right:D

my1500.net
08-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I have found the problem! The lighting coil puts out AC voltage so I need a rectifier/regulator to convert to DC to charge the battery to run the starter & not just a regulator. It was hooked up correctly if I was just going to run some lights but you can't run AC current to a -ground 12V system.

jumpin jellybean
08-25-2008, 06:12 PM
sweet glad you found problem[smilie=ecstatic.gi: