PDA

View Full Version : Cheap banjo coupler

tooltime
06-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I had a chance to use a trick I came up with today. I needed to connect two brake lines that had banjo fittings on each end. I used a flange bolt and an acorn nut. You have to grind a flat on the bolt to allow the fluid to flow. You also must use crush washers on each side of the banjo fittings. This can be used to make one long line out of two short lines or go from one line to two lines. I used this to split the brake lines on the front of my 4 wheeler. I used it today to make a long line for my son's micro buggy. Tim

plkracer
06-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Good tip. This is how a lot of engines are set up for the oil passages. On the 110 ATC that I had the oil flowed up one of the holes that the studs went in. The studs were smaller in diameter in the middle, and on the end was an acorn nut and a copper washer.

bdkw1
06-09-2008, 11:43 AM
If you go scrounging at a bike junk yard, they usually have a bolt box. A lot of street bikes have long banjo bolts on the master cylinders for dual front lines. These will work the same and have really good flow.

tooltime
06-09-2008, 06:40 PM
I have plenty of those bolts. The problem is I live in a rural area. I can't get a metric acorn nut in town. I have run out of connector blocks. I know it is [ Ozark American Engineering] but it works. Tim

bdkw1
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Ah..... I'm not to sure I would trust an acorn nut to that kind of pressure. The ends on them aren't real thick or attached to well.

tooltime
06-10-2008, 09:11 PM
It has held up for the last 3 years on my CR500 engined Blaster. With that motor, I do use the brakes hard in the woods. Tim