PDA

View Full Version : Wow, long weekend.

yummi
06-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I know I am going to get booted from the mini-buggy site with this post. [smilie=whistle.gif]

It is part crash and burn, so, here goes…

I have wanted to get out of quads for a bit. So, I have been looking for a buggy. Really looking hard at the bussa buggies, that’s what brought me to this site. Found a few. Some really nice ones in fact. Considered new, thought, pondered, concluded that buying a buggy is worse than dating. Redhead, blonde, fat, thin, oh the choices…..

But, after really thinking about my personal driving style and being honest with myself, I wanted something with a broader torque curve. I found a buggy. 2.0 Subaru with turbo, beam car made by Sand Limo. Little light on the lights, but that is an easy fix. Not fond of the green, but beggars can’t be choosers. I still have two bikes, because they are fast and I like them, but, I trimmed the fleet from four to two.

So, we went out this last weekend for a night ride and shake down cruise. Surprisingly, it was pleasant at Glamis even when we got there. I mean, yeah, high 90’s but once the sun set, it was really nice weather. [smilie=sweat.gif] We were the only monkeys there. Miles and miles of open sand. No full moon, no drunks, no stupid people to watch out for. [smilie=rockout3.gi: Just three cars in the middle of nowhere.

The car ran just fine, but after running about 40 minutes, stopping for a break, it would not re-fire. That happened twice with no real reason as to why it ultimately re-fired. Cranks just fine, seems no issue on the fuel pump – must be an ignition issue. My guess is it is an ecu issue. No real potential heat issues. The car was a VW before the Subaru, so, the wiring to the ecu is less than ideal. It is all inline fuses, etc. That is a relatively easy fix and I knew it going in. I am not 100% certain that is the issue though. It has an EMS stinger. The programming is good. Works great with the tranny, etc. So, it looks like the ecu is off to “Out-Front” for some bench testing. I think there is a short or fault there that is intermittent – does not seem to be related to the rats nest that is the current wiring system. (An intermittent problem; the most fun, best kind of problem to have. :) ) It does not hick-up or cough once it fires. It does not die, sputter, miss, etc while driving. It simply will not re-fire once ran, if shut down. If it does re-fire, it stays lit. I would think it is not an engine overheating issue as the water stays between 180 and 210 depending on speed, etc. So the upshot? Needs some electrical issues sorted, but that was the purpose of the ride. I now have a few months to get it sorted. Beyond the apparent ecu issue, the car does not have a blow off valve. Because turbos are not cheap - I am going to be installing a blow off valve after the intercooler.

Pretty fast little car and it is a kick in the pants when the turbo comes on. I limited myself to about 60mph on the gps speedometer down “sand highway” as it was dark and I could not see that well. I figure it has more in it, likely max out around 75mph, which is fast enough on my “pucker meter” for off road. It tracks well, stays straight and true, and absorbs most of the bumps as good as can be expected. Had a couple of folks with a long history of various cars, both “A” arm and beam cars, drive it for me as well for their feedback. The consensus? It handles well, and is as “dialed in” in the suspension as the car will allow. Travel is good and it does not want to swap ends, etc. But for the ecu issue, the guy had it right. Overall, I am pleased with the purchase. I think it will be a good first buggy.

The real story? And the reason this is a crash and burn post?

Well, two big cars came with me to run. The “Matrix” and a car that is derisively referred to as “The Brown Trout.” One ended up barrel rolling about 6+ (I lost count, but I know it was at least six) times coming down a hill as it got sideways on the slope. (Patton Valley Hill if any of you know where that is) Soft landing, nobody was hurt. (Well, there is talk of a possible broken rib for the driver.[smilie=ext_doc.gif]) Very long night to drag that car out of the dunes. Go back, get the Dodge, and ride back into the dunes with my truck. Almost get bit by sidewinder. Put a few caps in the snake’s ass. Better half decides she will no longer pee in a bush after the snake event. (Don’t ask the resolution of that) Drag the car out. In the process, get the Dodge stuck two, three, four too many times in very soft sand. (Our kingdom for a Rhino in lieu of a Dodge 3500 at that very moment.) Left the sand around 4:00 am on Sunday morning for a four hour drive back to Phoenix.

What was supposed to be a 14 hour “bonsai run” [smilie=ninja.gif]to shake a car down turned into 22 hours, no sleep Saturday night. The “Matrix” had 58k in damage. (Yes, it is insured.) It will rise again, likely without the metro sexual pictures on the side.
[smilie=rockout3.gi:

K-fab
06-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Nothing like a good adventure!

Good to hear everyone came out well.

amergin
06-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I know I am going to get booted from the mini-buggy site with this post. [smilie=whistle.gif]

What was supposed to be a 14 hour “bonsai run” [smilie=ninja.gif]to shake a car down turned into 22 hours, no sleep Saturday night. The “Matrix” had 58k in damage. (Yes, it is insured.) It will rise again, likely without the metro sexual pictures on the side.
[smilie=rockout3.gi:

I bet that picture is what really caused the crash. Either that or throwing a dead sidewinder in the drivers lap while jumping into Patton's is not a good idea.

Glad to hear no one, other then the bags under your eyes, was seriously hurt.

K-fab
06-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I just noticed Yummi's avatar. I like it!!!

yummi
06-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I just noticed Yummi's avatar. I like it!!!

Thanks!

zunooo
06-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Nice story. Sounds like several of my trips to the dunes. Ah, the memories![smilie=alright.gif]