PDA

View Full Version : Joyner Trooper

Mopartist
06-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I didn't see a topic for Joyner vehicles; so I figured I'd start one. I recently bought an 08 Trooper 2. 1100 cc 4WD with a 5 speed. So far; I'm havin a blast with it; but I'm feelin like i should have researched it a bit more before purchasing. Seems there are alot of "other" mini buggy's available that are probably a better car that this one. My in-laws have a Rhino and a RZR, and I've spent some time with their vehicles. Over all; the problem so far with the Trooper is it's weight. This sucker is really heavy; and you don't get the sense it will be a good "flyer". It's not quite broken in yet; but I'll keep posting as I push it's limits down the road.

guy48065
06-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I've been hearing the same weight complaint from other owners. Heavy isn't too bad if it means rugged but unfortunately I've also been reading of things breaking. Joyner quality is better than most china-produced buggies and JoynerUSA is there for real english-speaking support.

One good thing I've heard: Despite being overweight it's still pretty fast and gets way better mpg than a Rhino or Rzr.

wildcatkit52
06-05-2008, 05:36 PM
I have looked into the Joyner stuff a bit. It looks like the 1600 with a turbo could be fun enough in one of their buggies. I wouldn't mind it in the 4WD trooper to run around with UTV's...

I am waiting to try out the 09 Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 that may be coming out. The side by sides are fun, but for the money I would rather have something a little more sporty and rugged.

Nobody ever seems to have the "perfect" toy. I guess that is why people build their own!

Mopartist
06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I recently added some upgrades to my Trooper. Flares on the front; skid plate. Moved the headlights in. Added windshield; snorkle, and muffler. And got a bikini top installed today.

K-fab
06-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Please tell me you're not wearing the bikini top... [smilie=non_banana1:

yoshi
06-06-2008, 07:28 AM
It's not quite broken in yet; but I'll keep posting as I push it's limits down the road.

Don't worry, you'll break it soon enough, I mean break it in soon enough.......lol

Mopartist
06-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Don't worry, you'll break it soon enough, I mean break it in soon enough.......lol

THATS what I'm afraid of! I'm seeing alot of bad references to Joyner vehicles these days. OMG; I think I may have made a huge error!

wildcatkit52
06-07-2008, 07:55 PM
THATS what I'm afraid of! I'm seeing alot of bad references to Joyner vehicles these days. OMG; I think I may have made a huge error!

You should be fine. You did find this site so when the time comes to rebuild things you will get plenty of help!

masterfabr
06-07-2008, 11:57 PM
UH huh.

Rev Chew Toy
06-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Moparist,

What did you build your fender flares out of? I have been toying with the idea of using Pacers "HD Flexy Flare" Kit and making my own out of them.

By the way, I wouldnt call the trooper a mistake just yet. Since I bought mine I have had very little trouble... just cant keep people from gawking at it...lol.

Doing some mod's myself, going to fab a dry box for the Computer and one for the fuse box, installed a "farm jack" on the back deck, installed a rearview and am buying an air compressor to perm. mount under the front deck.

WARHORSE
06-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi, I'm new here. I had a Honda Oddesey for a short while which was fun

Thinking of getting a new buggy & the Joyners look good

what are the pros & cons of the different buggies ?

Thanks

Gene
06-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Welcome to MBN!

Take your time and learn as much as possible from owners before spending money on any mini - Chinese or American. Definitely drive it off road before buying!

Decide what you want it to do then focus on vehicles able to do that. A UTV might be a very good choice if you need a trail rig. If you want 4wd then don't exclude the Rhino/RZR vehicles even if they do cost a bit more.

If you want to haul azz in the sand - and seeing that you spend time in FL and CT that seems doubtful - look at a sand car! Good luck!

Rev Chew Toy
08-06-2008, 08:04 AM
YouTube - Joyner Trooper T2 Mudd'n (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noEqVDRXFJM)

Check it out. My wife and I in Pike Co. Kentucky. The riding is out of hand .

JoynerAnything
11-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Nice Video!! I dont quite a bit of that fun stuff in my day! Also I accidently stumbled across a strictly Joyner Forum last night. It must be brand new becasue it only had like 3 users and like 2 posts. I registered anyway because that might be the source for Trooper info

Heres the link:
JoynerForum.com :: Index (http://www.JoynerForum.com)

Check it out

mudryder_68
05-13-2009, 10:19 PM
hey moparist i like the looks of you trooper , looks good

greasemnky
05-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Your trooper is fine. Most people who bash the joyner stuff, have never actually owned one. If you know where the parts come from (mostly mistu/nissan) their fairly easy to source. joynerform.com will have a lot of info for you. There are only a few guys on it, but one of them is a joyner dealer, and will get you any manual part number etc you could ever need.

Their actually a few guys on there who are running modified joyners out west in a couple race series, and pretty successful. Also a bunch of guys taking the 250/650 frames and swaping in raptor and sled motors.

I'm actually stuffing a M/C engine in my Sand Spider. Fox 2.0's, better seats. AND I have less then 5K into the whole package! Yes, I did go through and reinforce the frame, installed cross bracing in the roof, etc. And yes, a 30 grand ecotec buggy IS better. But for the price, you won't find anything as capiable. And couldn't build it from scratch for the same price.

As with anything, certian years are better then others etc. And I wouldn't go jumping it 50 ft off a bluff. But for a good weekend trail machine, their great. And I'm working on getting mine road legal.

For my 2 cents, buy an old (pre 2005 I think) 650 Sand spider (same chasis as the newer 800's). Yank the crappy motor, throw in a sled or bike motor, and you'll have a nice capiable buggy for not a lot of money.

KYBUGGY
05-27-2009, 10:14 PM
All my friends have RZRs and Rhinos. I just bought a 2008 Trooper. So far I am very happy with my purchase. Its going to depend on well it holds up. So far, I can go places that they would only dream of.

K-fab
05-28-2009, 06:23 AM
Welcome to the site KY.

Somerset, KY - is that down near the area they used to call London? 909, exit 49? Man that was some killer riding before the Damn Greenies got their panties in a wad...

I'm impressed that you can go farther than a RZR or Rhino - they're very capable vehicles.

cb1000rider
07-22-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm considering a Joyner Trooper over a Yamaha Rhino (or Similiar RZR Polaris). TX is getting more strict about SMV registration and the Trooper seems to hit straight street legal (with a windshield, horn, and DOT tires)...

I have concerns about the "china" end of the manufacturing - particular with motor support.. Parts, etc...

How rugged is this thing? How easy is it to break? It has a timing belt... And it's off brand, so probably DIY repair.

What did you guys pay for yours?

chuckorlando
07-22-2009, 08:21 PM
So far as I know Joyner Is an American company thats manufactured in china. All design and quality control is American. Plenty of guys on buugynews got Joyners and swear by them. In fact you really cant even get away with bashing them over there. I've only heard 2 bad stories on Joyner. One guy blew a tranny and Joyner took their time replacing it. They did replace it. The other is a guy who got one from a bad dealer who wont give him support. He's from across the pond though

Gene
07-22-2009, 10:43 PM
There is a hilarious story at Glamis Dunes about a Joyner. The focus is quality of construction, craftsmanship, etc. The stroy is told in soap opera form. It is a must read.

I'll try to find it . . .

trooper4x4
08-20-2009, 09:02 AM
We ride and also sell the Joyner vehicles. We ride the Trooper 1100. We have yet to have any problems with this vehicle. We have to do very little to it. We have added King Shocks, Team Joyner power steering kit, a adjustable computer to it and 30" tires. It's a great machine all around. We can smoke the RZR S with this. Check us out at Motorcycle Parts`Street Bike Parts`Motorcycle Helmets`Street Bike Apparel`Gear`Street Bike Performance Parts`Apparel`McCoy Motorsports`ToBeFast (http://www.tobefast.com)

trailhawk
09-10-2009, 08:06 AM
I have a few days ago ordered a new trooper, I have been hearing some pros and cons on the machine .what made my decision was when i looked at them i was very impressed on how they were built . i 'am having a turbo charger installed on mine thought the power was a little weak , Guess i am judging it against my 1000 xtz arctic cat prowler which is pretty snappy..I think the trooper would be better on the trails then the cat..

greasemnky
09-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Cost vs What you get, Joyners are excellent little machines. Especially for the 90+% of guys here that will never have their buggys out doing 100 at glamis. I've been driving the crap out of my SandSpider for a little more then a year now. Jumped it, buried it in a small river, hit a tree with it. And I can't kill the damn thing! I've actually got a much larger engine waiting to get swapped in, and I thought I could kill the little 3cyl by now.

I picked this thing up for 2K! Its under powered, and the seat belts do SUCK. Swapped in some nice 5 points, and have a new motor sitting in the garage for it. I'm also going to Fox 2.0's. Although the factory shocks aren't that bad. So for 5K, I'll have a nice 2 seater that will handle dunes just fine (we have very small dunes) be a blast on trails and in mud, and will cost me less then 1/2 of a similar machine. It will have to break a LOT to make it not worth the value.

I smacked a tree doing about 25, and all I did was bend the tie rod a bit. Best part about owning a joyner, ALL buggys break. I was able to call them up, 18 bucks and 2 days later, a new tie rod arrived. I'm more interested in seat time then garage time, so thats a huge plus for me. I actually bought an extra so I can just change it out on the trail now.

Everyone who says they are poorly built, or china go karts. Doesn't own one, likely never driven one, and often has an intrest in selling something else. For the price, key word......price, their hard to beat. You can get a used Sand Spider / Sand Viper for about the price of a nice FL350, and have WAY more fun. Their not ment to be draks, or full on desert buggys. Its always the guy who saw or heard something. Rarely an actual owner saying they don't like them.

nutz4sand
09-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I was watching these Joyner Troopers out in the dunes this last weekend and they were getting ribbed for not climbing the hill but the ones that did not had WAY to much air in thier tires (digging holes in the sand). There were others there with the same machines going right up over Test hill with no fuss. There was one older guy with a street legal one with actual honest to goodness car tires on it going EVERYWHERE on the hill and even up it backwards and starting and stopping on the hill. I was impressed by this performance quite a bit. His had wider arms on it to I believe.

I admit I was a little weirded when I first saw one shift (Never seen a vehicle of this nature with a shift. They be CVT's usually). I was like How is he making a CVT sound like its shifting. Then I went and looked at it.

I will say that a couple guys there with them WERE shifting the poor things like madmen. Trying to make them climb the hill with fully inflated tires.
I never saw one missed shift now heard a complaint from the machines and these guys were speed shifting them repeatedly all day. Shame they would not listen to use to let the air down in the tires but the machines did catch my eye and interest as pretty impressive for what they are and put up with.

Do they make a four seater? Imma take a peak at them. Any leads on a good dealer in this area? (Western Michigan)

greasemnky
09-14-2009, 07:47 PM
they do make a 4 seater, I think it has a ecotech motor or something like that in it. Those shifters are a bit odd aren't they! Takes a bit of getting used to. Hopefully we have the SS done for next year. Then again, never did finish the pedal conversion on the red one.

harleyranger
02-10-2010, 12:08 PM
i bought a joyner trooper not long ago it has been both fun and very reliable i go trail riding with other joyner owners and find them to be the same as mine in fact on a recent ride i was driving to fast on a mesa and not paying attention when the road went away it went down at a very sharp angle and with severe wash board on the way down i thought to my self oh crap this is gonna hurt ,, but because of the longer wheel base and travel i barley felt a thing in fact it made me more trusting of my trooper somthing i have found in my ownewrship of the trooper is it really dosn;t need much in the way of modification i've added a rack and intercom system and a 2 way radio and its perfect i see alot of bashing from non joyner owners guys 99.9% of what comes into america is manufactured in china
joyner is based in the USA and is proactive in quality control you don't see pending law suits for rollovers on them i looked at all the 4wd mini buggies on the market and i believe my joyner is built better ,, look at the jap offered axels on thier brands and then check out joyners every time i go out in mine it amazes me at what it is capabile of doing
ok i'll get off my soap box now
z[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

chuckorlando
02-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Joyner just went under man. I own one and love it just for the record. But they just sent every thing to auction this week. Someone will likely pick up the supply line at some point but for now they are gone. At least thats what many sources are telling me

pauljj4l
03-11-2010, 10:49 PM
I would like to sell you one that i had shiped to MI. I only payed $13200,00 8 months ago. its a 2009 lets see o now ebay has them all over for $7500.00 would like to sue them usa joyass

harleyranger
04-06-2010, 09:43 AM
fortunatly there are so many joyner buggies out there , some one had tp pick it up again ,, and they have joyner is back its gonna be set up differently but they are back i'll post more as i find out

chuckorlando
04-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Yep. They were bought by JMC which I believe is a spin off of American Sports Works

harleyranger
04-08-2010, 11:33 PM

i've had my 08 trooper for about 6 months now i got it as a repo it hasn';t missed a beat or broke joyner has more quality than most give them ,, in fact most of the people i herar guff from qwn something else fact is the other brands have to modify thier rigs just to measure up i'm talking suspension and horse power
z[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

Rollin rockin
04-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Just thought I would let you know that there are a lot of people that beat there stuff up and a lot of people that are desperate people out there hold on to it and take care of it and it will be worth a lot more. I myself have a T4 not one problem with mine. Had a Rhino until my son turned it over that weekend I rode with a buddy and his wife in there Trooper T4 wow is all I could say. Needless to say when I returned home sold the Rhino and bought a Trooper T4. Added heating and air conditioning the wife loves it can't get her out of it. [smilie=ecstatic.gi: Good luck

Rollin rockin
04-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Number one, yes they are a bit heavier however much more stable than other side x sides and alot more reasonable to work on if you do break something you can buy parts from any parts store rather than paying high prices for Rhino, or RZR, Teryx, Artic cat, etc. Not to mention fairly easy to work on.;)

Rollin rockin
04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Hold on to yours like I said just because people are desperate do to the economy or what ever your sitting on a buggy that will be worth a bit more in the near future

08turbotrooper
04-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Where is the computer located on these units? I just got mine and still trying to figure everything out.

jkm1
06-04-2010, 05:32 PM
bought a new trooper about 2 monhts ago and am having trouble with it running rough at idle up to about 2500 rpm i have to pump the trottle to get it above that. I have fooled with the canister control valve and it will clear up for a while till i hit a bump or something moves it around. I would order a new one but dont know where.The dealer I bought it from keeps giving me the runaround about a front skid plate I ordered when I bought the buggy 2 months ago stilled havent recieved it hate see how long it would take to get get canister control valve from him. Anybody know where i could find parts like this

Gene
06-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Maybe there is a cross reference to a similar part. Know of any similar engine to the Chery or whatever is in it?

chuckorlando
06-05-2010, 06:10 AM
mcdonoughpowersports.com . Eric can probly order it or he'll send you to Glade who can. Parts are just getting to the US and the warehouse is not stocked yet. So could be fast or slow

jkm1
06-05-2010, 04:23 PM
wish I knew that would be alot easyer to order

jkm1
06-05-2010, 04:24 PM
thanks i will give him a call

jags-joe
11-02-2010, 04:07 AM
just bought my trooper. new to the community. i would like to find somewhere to buy parts. i especially would like to find maintenance, shop, wiring and parts manuals if they exist. i bought this buggy from an auction house. i found a lot of wires cut. not sure if it was stolen or attempted to be stolen from the previous owner. haven't gotten previous owner information from the auction house. any help will be appreciated.

Joe

Gene
11-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I think there is a Joyner owners site too so be sure to Google for that while waiting for more help.

Welcome to MBN!

ildude
01-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site as well as the mini buggy scene. I've been looking at many different buggies out there and feel like the Joyner is the way to go. I've quickly found sources for parts and folks that are more than willing to promote Joyner as a good product. I've had a Toyota 4 Runner for more than 20 years and never destroyed it, I hope a Joyner proves to be half as good. I do my own work so simplicity is a must. Besides, there are no Joyner dealers here in the mid of the corn fields! I hope to learn alot in this forum.

super1
05-29-2011, 10:50 AM
I also just purchased my Joyner Trooper T4, I understand it's heavy but I must admit it feels tough and rugged and that's what I like. Being that I am a US Marine, I feel comfortable knowing my "gear" is built tough and not flimsy. Does anyone know how this machine handles with the power steering kit. I want to buy it to compensate for the weigth difference but don't know if it will make that big of a difference.

teddybear450
11-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I, too, have a 08 Joyner Trooper 1100cc 4wd 5 speed. I'm having problems with my fuse box. I have had it fixed although I was told to try and find a new fuse box. Does anyone know where I can purchase a fuse box? I did buy one on EBay however it was for a Joyner sand viper so if anyone needs one, I have a brand new one. Also, does anyone know where I can get a manual for the Trooper?