PDA

View Full Version : sticky shifter

Damien
06-01-2008, 09:31 PM
we just ran our car for the first time and the shifter doesnt return to center when I shift. So if I push the shifter forward to up shift and let go it stays where it is, then I go to up shift again and I end up having to pull it back first then forward to get the gear. Is this normal?

My set up is on a cbr 929 with a new morse push pull cable on the stock shift arm. I made the lever out of a tube with a plastic pivot. It seems smooth but doesnt go back to center by itself.

Any ideas?

plkracer
06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
You probably tightened the bolt down too much, the one that holds the shifter on. Mine returns to center every time. The hand shifter should be able to freely rotate, if it binds at all, you need to loosen it up.

yoshi
06-01-2008, 09:41 PM
^^^^^---agreed, try unhooking the shifter cable and see how stiff the lever is. Slop will not hurt you, I leave mine sloppy so there is some side to side movement as I shift back and forth (since you don't push back and forth exactly in a straight line) and it feels more comfortable when I shift..

Damien
06-02-2008, 10:41 AM
thanks for the advice. sounds like it needs to be loosened up. I'll post the results after I try it.

boilermaker
06-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I think that you should add two springs, one pulling each way so they cancel each other out in the neutral position. When setup right , when you shift one spring will be slack and the other will be pulled tighter and will pull lever back. Try it and you'll see.

Bugpac
06-02-2008, 08:59 PM
On a suzuki motor, there is a spring on the opposite side of the shifter,2 way spring wraps the shaft.. Inside the case, I was messing with mine one day as i snapped the shifter bolt off, and i popped the c lip off that holds the spring, "Yes i was using a bfh in the wrong manner" it did exactly the same thing, It would not return to center, I ended up taking the cover off and getting stuff back in order....

Sickpuppy
06-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Shouldn't need return springs the tranny already has them.Check the Morse cable on the shifter lever on the motor it should freely pivot.Running your car with the shifter sticking WILL TEAR UP YOUR SHIFTING FORKS QUICKLY! If you must drive it make sure you always return shifter to center.If it were mine I wouldn't drive it till the shifter moves freely on it's own.Your shifting forks aren't made to stay in contact with tranny gears which is what there doing now.Good luck; Sickpuppy