PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a shifter on kz1000??

Kirmit77
05-17-2008, 01:25 AM
What is the best way to set up a shifter assembly for a kz1000 on my mini?

plkracer
05-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Hand shifter. I have mine on the left side, and it's about 6 inches long. I put a atv grip on it, and it feels decently comfortable. I don't know why I put it on the left. Cars are on the right, but I felt more comfortable taking my left hand off the wheel since I am right handed. Use a push-pull cable from summit or jegs to attach to the shifter on the engine, or you can use a rod if you have a straight throw.

nutz4sand
05-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Use a rod setup with nice quality pivot joints. Cables were NEVER meant to push and will always have some flex and thus a bit of a spongy feel. Plus they WILL fail eventually especially if you shift hard and a lot.

Putting the shifter on the same side of the machine as the motors shifter is located is eaiser but if you are used to shifting on the right hand all you need to do is run a tube on pivots across behind the seat or right under your legs and weld a tab of each end of it and connect to it on each side. Solid linkages will give you a much more solid feel when rowing through the gears. Its my preferance and you can build it for little to nothing with parts you have laying around usually (or with only a little to buy). Cables (especially good ones) will cost a bit more normally. Bill

yoshi
05-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Push/Pull cables are made to be pushed and pulled. *I've been running push pull cables for years, no problems. *Don't buy a cheap one, I buy mine at the semi parts warehouse. *Mine are not spongy at all.........

busasandrail
05-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Push/Pull cables are made to be pushed and pulled. *I've been running push pull cables for years, no problems. *Don't buy a cheap one, I buy mine at the semi parts warehouse. *Mine are not spongy at all.........

Agreed...I have this setup one mine and it works great. *And like yoshi said what ever you do get a good quality one. There are cheap ones on the market and they will break. If you do some research on different manufactures you will find they are all rated to push and pull different pounds of force. Get the highest strength one that will fit you application.

K-fab
05-17-2008, 09:40 AM
I believe the correct name for the push/pull style cable is a Morse Cable. *They are available in all sorts of sizes, lengths, strengths and such.

You can get soft ends so you can control a throttle body or with threaded ends so you can install heim joints.

They are designed for push & pull motion and as long as you don't try to bend them around too tight of a corner and make sure that you have well braced mounts, they'll work great for shifting applications.

buggito
05-17-2008, 10:35 AM
U could also use electric shift, I have a set of button on the wheel and one joystick, I can use either one, fast and don't even have to move my hand out of the wheel

Andy_1972
05-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Whats the opinion on paddle shifters?

Bugpac
05-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Use a rod setup with nice quality pivot joints. Cables were NEVER meant to push and will always have some flex and thus a bit of a spongy feel. Plus they WILL fail eventually especially if you shift hard and a lot.

Putting the shifter on the same side of the machine as the motors shifter is located is eaiser but if you are used to shifting on the right hand all you need to do is run a tube on pivots across behind the seat or right under your legs and weld a tab of each end of it and connect to it on each side. Solid linkages will give you a much more solid feel when rowing through the gears. Its my preferance and you can build it for little to nothing with parts you have laying around usually (or with only a little to buy). Cables (especially good ones) will cost a bit more normally. Bill

Please give us your detailed experience with both....

Pacman
05-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Please give us your detailed experience with both....

Now now....play nice! [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Cable will work just fine....as long as it is a high quality one like has been mentioned......if you have a straight shot then run a rod with guides along it to support it. That's what we did on the single seat car and it works great.

Bugpac
05-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Well it agrivates me when someone preaches something totally false, that has been proven by hundreds... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

plkracer
05-17-2008, 04:30 PM
A rod is not bad as long as the path is straight, but the time you add in the bearings and stuff to correct it a cable is better. I've always used a rod on my home made POS go karts and they seemed to work fine, but 1/2 inch rod is heavy. If you had a bend in it, it would flex and be mushy. My current setup actually feels more crisp than most of my rod setups, besides those which where dead straight.

Pacman
05-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Well it agrivates me when someone preaches something totally false, that has been proven by hundreds... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

I agree.......but we don't want to start a poo-fest! [smilie=blink.gif]

nutz4sand
05-17-2008, 06:47 PM

Yah I know what yah mean...... * *Like 16000 pound tensile strength chains breaking with little run time in a mini. Twice. * Its gotta be the chains...... * * [smilie=blink.gif] * Just ribbing yah Bug. I have had "issues" with builds as well. I happen to have an old Kawi powered mini/midi here now with a cable setups. Isi it a cheap cable? Yep. But solid linkage is better. I had it on the one I sold when I lived in indy. It was not much and I have scince been gathering items for a "better" build but life gets in the way too much lately.

I know a GOOD push/pull cable is good but the solid linkage is MY favorite and I would not go with cable even if it could be in a straight line. Bill

Bugpac
05-17-2008, 07:00 PM
[quote="Bugpac\";p=\"71192":2gl1t8ka]Well it agrivates me when someone preaches something totally false, that has been proven by hundreds... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Yah I know what yah mean...... * *Like 16000 pound tensile strength chains breaking with little run time in a mini. Twice. * Its gotta be the chains...... * * [smilie=blink.gif] * Just ribbing yah Bug. I have had "issues" with builds as well. I happen to have an old Kawi powered mini/midi here now with a cable setups. Isi it a cheap cable? Yep. But solid linkage is better. I had it on the one I sold when I lived in indy. It was not much and I have scince been gathering items for a "better" build but life gets in the way too much lately.

I know a GOOD push/pull cable is good but the solid linkage is MY favorite and I would not go with cable even if it could be in a straight line. Bill[/quote:2gl1t8ka]

[smilie=biggrin.gif]