PDA

View Full Version : Bugs Prowler Project Child safe!

Bugpac
01-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Ok, may as well start a thread, Im getting stuff around to add 2 seats to the back and a cage for my kids to ride... I am shooting to be done in about 1 month, got to get the seats and stuff prolly mid next week, then bend weld and powdercoat the cage....

Couple little size seats...
http://www.actionimport.com/PDGImages/EMPI-62-2771-2.jpg

TutTech
01-15-2008, 09:35 PM
I just picked up a set of new Empi seats for my car.
I normally use Beard or Mastercraft in the race car but the empi looked
and felt great when we sat in them.

Price was actually better than the others and my wife ( Pepper ) *said she liked them
better.

Do you have the Empi in the front for you?

Your kids will enjoy them and sounds fun.
Keep us posted on your project.

[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Bugpac
01-15-2008, 09:39 PM
I had the empi "race trim" im my single seater, I likely will replace the front 2 as well....Just want to get the rear done first...The stock seats suck...lol

plkracer
01-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Better hope they can hold on! I rode in the back of a rhino, and it wasn't the most pleasurable thing being on top of the rear axle, but granted, I was too tall, and it was hauling butt.

sicksand
01-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Do you have a web site for the Empi seats,I just got the 2008 rhino and also got a full cage.I will need the rear seat and will probally do the fronts to but need to take care of the kids first.....

Bugpac
01-24-2008, 05:54 PM
I can get you a set that are direct bolt in to a rhino, I just bought a set myself, I setup a dealership on them to get good pricing....Not from empi...Ill have the front seats tomororow, rhino and prowler are same seat fit either directly no mods...

Bugpac
01-25-2008, 08:18 PM
My storage room is getting full....Need to get these projects buttoned up...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/bugpac/015.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/bugpac/014.jpg

plkracer
01-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Lol, you should see my "storage room." It consists of a half built r/c plane, a bunch of buggy parts and tools, magazines everywhere, and my shotguns. It's refreshing to come home and see it. [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Bugpac
01-25-2008, 09:05 PM
[smilie=biggrin.gif] *Mines getting there, I cleaned off the bed to take the pics....

Bugpac
01-26-2008, 02:57 PM
My wife and I and odypilots, finally got some seat time in the prowler, It was cold as mo fo, but put 8 miles on her...lol Tried out my new camera as well, got to get some lithium batteries, cold weather kills them fast...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/helmet_cam.jpg

plkracer
01-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Cool, what did the cam cost?

Bugpac
01-26-2008, 03:26 PM
100 bux or something....This is on lowest resolution, and was a shot in the dark mounting position...

trojan
01-26-2008, 03:28 PM
I've got one of those, it cost me about AU$200.
It's pretty cool for what it is, but it didn't like being mounted directly to the frame on my KLR650 sidewinder:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bQePIArgGtE

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XWVD_LtBa80

I haven't had a chance to try it with the supplied helmet mount yet, I expect it will solve the vibration issue.

plkracer
01-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Cool, but the sound is ear piercing! Was it above the intake?

trojan
01-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Your video doesn't vibrate to hell like mine bugpac, I think I did mine on hi-res, that may have helped cause my vibration effect?
I think it is designed for mounting to a mounting bike and the like, so they set the mic very sensitive.

Bugpac
01-26-2008, 03:42 PM
trojan, what mount did you use? I used the hard plastic tube mount that clamps on, i could see were a strap on mount would make it vibrate to hell....

I am trying to remix the music now....the air and the sound dont go well together, if there was something blocking the wind i could see better sound quality i think....

Bugpac
01-26-2008, 03:43 PM
camera claims its good for 3.5 meters depth in water as well....13 ft or something....

trojan
01-26-2008, 03:47 PM
I used the supplied tube clamp, mounted upside down, on the rear roll bar support.
I'm trying the elastic strap around my helmet next.
I think my problem is the big single I'm using, she's a thumper!

Bugpac
01-26-2008, 04:56 PM
well here is my best attempt to fix sound for now, using photobuckets remix....

[url=http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/bugpac/?action=view&current=cd1a9677.pbr:3sa2063y]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/bugpac/th_cd1a9677.jpg[/url:3sa2063y]

Bullnerd
01-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Nice vid Bug ,whats a prowler?

plkracer
01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
lol, Is it similar to any of the other UTV's? I know that arctic cat used to have a lot of the same atvs as suzuki.

Bugpac
01-26-2008, 08:31 PM
actually the arctic cat prowler name has been around a long time, 1.5 times plk racers life likely, lol....Why they named it after a snowmobile is beyond me...

buildstoys
01-26-2008, 09:10 PM
http://atv.off-road.com/atv/2006-Arctic ... ail/192274 (http://atv.off-road.com/atv/2006-Arctic-Cat-Prowler-First-Ride/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/192274)

plkracer
01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
It's been around 27 years? Long time.

Bugpac
01-27-2008, 06:22 AM
It's been around 27 years? Long time.

I may be off a little, first yr i believe was 1990, i assume you hatched the whoom about 1989... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

plkracer
01-27-2008, 02:18 PM
[quote="plkracer\";p=\"59370":3f2pylb5]It's been around 27 years? Long time.

I may be off a little, first yr i believe was 1990, i assume you hatched the whoom about 1989... [smilie=biggrin.gif][/quote:3f2pylb5]

Your dead on... lol

odypilots
01-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah, it's a nice machine. The first half of the ride was a lot better than the second half, because we were going into the wind on the way back. It was freezing my face! Bug got me a little nervous seeing how large of a snow drift he could plow through. It wouldn't have been bad, except he was doing it at 15 mph on an uneven trail!

Forgot to bring a tape for my camcorder that has a big zoom lens, so I shot a few seconds of video with my on board camcorder that only has a digital zoom on it. I haven't looked at the footage, yet.

Pacman
01-27-2008, 02:49 PM
[quote="plkracer\";p=\"59370":35lo5ndi]It's been around 27 years? Long time.

I may be off a little, first yr i believe was 1990, i assume you hatched the whoom about 1989... [smilie=biggrin.gif][/quote:35lo5ndi]

I have a son that was born in 1989....... [smilie=blink.gif]

Bugpac
01-27-2008, 04:47 PM
[quote="Bugpac\";p=\"59392":z9ou3n0h][quote="plkracer\";p=\"59370":z9ou3n0h]It's been around 27 years? Long time.

I may be off a little, first yr i believe was 1990, i assume you hatched the whoom about 1989... [smilie=biggrin.gif][/quote:z9ou3n0h]

I have a son that was born in 1989....... [smilie=blink.gif][/quote:z9ou3n0h]

You get aarp discounts yet? *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Pacman
01-27-2008, 06:14 PM
You get aarp discounts yet? *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

No but I did get an application in the mail.....bastard's! [smilie=shocker.gif]

dent
02-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Could you post photos as you go on the back seats for small kids project?
I am working on the same kind of thing in a rzr
dent

Bugpac
02-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Yes i will, i have been really busy with a few other projects, haven't had time to get to the prowler...

renegadespec1
02-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Now if bug makes it CHILD PROOF ......
HE WON'T BE ABLE TO RIDE IN IT [smilie=mhihi.gif] *[smilie=rofl.gif] *[smilie=tongue.gif] *[smilie=lmao.gif] *[smilie=drool.gif]

Stomper
02-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Bug, How do you like your prowler? Does it seem to be tippy or to narrow. I looked at one in the showroom of a dealership and when I sat in it and rocked side to side It was prety wobbily. Don't know if I would want to do too much serious 4 wheeling with it. It had a cab on it, so maybe that made it a bit top heavy. Oh yeah I am also 6'2" 245ish#, may have contributed also [smilie=ashamed.gif] . Seemed a little small any ways.

Bugpac
02-29-2008, 05:35 AM
The prowler is the biggest cockpit on the market, No matter what at your size and mine its gonna be a bit tippy feeling, I am going to increase track width by one inch on each said, said to help a bunch, Myself and the sales man took it across the ashphalt parking lot about 40 doing a right hand turn, it did not feel that bad at all...I have only put 10 miles on it since i bought it, and them were all on snow...

Bugpac
03-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Ok, im getting ready to get rolling on the prowler project, taking the oem cage off this evening, set the seats in for an idea of there size, i think they are gonna work really well...These front seats are direct bolt ins for rhino or prowler...

greasemnky
03-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Where do the golf clubs go?

Bugpac
03-02-2008, 04:30 PM
ya whatever, It will be leading jay down the trail, with my wife and kids even, lmao...May be leading you as well, but wait, i really dont want her to get blasted *so shell have to slow up and just follow... [smilie=mhihi.gif]

greasemnky
03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Anything is better than following the half moon *[smilie=mhihi.gif]

I figured you'd be bringing that drak out! Still on for the 29th?

sicksand
03-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Bug I have been thinking about trying to make a stroller and that back kids seat would be perfect.I want to make one of these strollers because he wants 1700.00 for one.I'm not saying that it isn't worth it because I don't want to say anything negative,but I think I could make it for alot cheaper.The wheels are at Harbour Freight for about 12 bucks each,and the spindles are on a go kart site for about 15.00 a pair,etc...Het Tut want to build me a small frame like this and then I will do the rest,lol.I have a freind with a jd2 tube bender so I think I will buy him a 1" die and get some 1"tubing and see what we can come up with?

Bugpac
03-02-2008, 06:52 PM
It is cool for sure, we have some 32 ford strollers and they are fiberglass, not nothing to push very far for sure, lol...

sicksand
03-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Where did you find the kids seats?Can I get some info on them?

greasemnky
03-03-2008, 08:57 PM
How long till that prowler is done? Dan and jay will likely need a ride end of the month. Maybe we could put in DVD player behind the adult seats to make sure they don't fight.

Bugpac
03-12-2008, 06:02 PM
This is were i am at now, still got some to go... Going to v brace behind the drivers seat yet...

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q316/bugpac/010640x480.jpg

guy48065
03-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Bug were u by chance trailering a cageless Prowler on I69 WB last Saturday morn?

Bugpac
03-12-2008, 06:53 PM
yup, behind an old pos van? [smilie=biggrin.gif] Silver trailer....I went over to aftershock motorsports and bent up the first cage, it didnt turn out as i had intended, so yesterday i borrowed a die for my bender, and bought some more tubing, this is were i am at today... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

guy48065
03-13-2008, 11:51 AM
My bad--I meant EB I69...I was WB and caught a quick glimpse of a topless eye-bleed-green Prowler on the other side. *Thought it might be you.

Bugpac
03-24-2008, 06:33 PM
making progress...

greasemnky
03-24-2008, 07:04 PM
looks good. Going to do a half door or anything for yourself, so you don't break a leg should you tip it over.

Bugpac
03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
all in time....

malder
03-24-2008, 07:56 PM
This is what happens when you don't have doors on UTV's:

Apparently my bones break when the rollbar of a rhino slams down on it. Who knew?? 3 months of hobbling around on crutches is a harsh lesson. At least it didn't displace - no surgery...

Andy_1972
03-24-2008, 07:57 PM
That kicks ass Bug. Nice mod.

Andy_1972
03-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Apparently my bones break when the rollbar of a rhino slams down on it. Who knew??

Sorry to say this, but if you don't have proper restraints.....have the sense to pull your limbs in. DO NOT blame it on the fact there were no doors. Thats lame.
Your lesson should have begun at just looking....at the Rhino. Then realizing its not a hard core rugged machine....just a glorified golf cart. Never meant to be on its side or rolled over. You took it past its limits and paid the price. *I have NO sympathy for people who buy golf carts and try to wheel in them. Ask Yoshi what his insurance is....when he makes safe capable vehicles.....and has to deal with the stigma of people that push Rhinos past their limit. Makes me sick.

Bugpac
03-24-2008, 08:42 PM
[quote="malder\";p=\"66114":l20flobm]This is what happens when you don't have doors on UTV's:

Apparently my bones break when the rollbar of a rhino slams down on it. Who knew??

Sorry to say this, but if you don't have proper restraints.....have the sense to pull your limbs in. DO NOT blame it on the fact there were no doors. Thats lame.
Your lesson should have begun at just looking....at the Rhino. Then realizing its not a hard core rugged machine....just a glorified golf cart. Never meant to be on its side or rolled over. You took it past its limits and paid the price. *I have NO sympathy for people who buy golf carts and try to wheel in them. Ask Yoshi what his insurance is....when he makes safe capable vehicles.....and has to deal with the stigma of people that push Rhinos past their limit. Makes me sick.[/quote:l20flobm]

[smilie=mhihi.gif] Yoshi doesnt have insurance....

hero_saku39
03-24-2008, 08:42 PM
[quote="malder\";p=\"66114":1zs6um9j]This is what happens when you don't have doors on UTV's:

Your lesson should have begun at just looking....at the Rhino. Then realizing its not a hard core rugged machine....just a glorified golf cart. Never meant to be on its side or rolled over. You took it past its limits and paid the price. *I have NO sympathy for people who buy golf carts and try to wheel in them. Ask Yoshi what his insurance is....when he makes safe capable vehicles.....and has to deal with the stigma of people that push Rhinos past their limit. Makes me sick.[/quote:1zs6um9j]

thanks for saving me the time of typing the same thing.......pretty much

hero_saku39
03-24-2008, 08:43 PM

Apparently my bones break when the rollbar of a rhino slams down on it. Who knew?? 3 months of hobbling around on crutches is a harsh lesson. At least it didn't displace - no surgery...

this is what happens when you roll a vehicle that wasn't designed to keep you safe when you roll it.........

all the same....sorry that you suffered for it and I hope you suffer no lasting effects from it.

Andy_1972
03-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Even if Yoshi doesn't have pay for it. I do. You damn well better believe that that broken ankle was covered by insurance. WHY? Not because the Rhino didn't have a door.....because he stuck his leg out. And he went wheeling in a golf cart. Because the same people that create great fun vehicles have to make them idiot proof for everyone on the planet. NOBODY takes responsibility for their own actions. He broke his leg in a golf cart....my insurance goes up. ATV's and all off road vehicles get a black mark on them. *Now unsafe because they are all in the same category. WOOOOOTER!!!!!!!

hero_saku39
03-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Have you ever ridden a golf cart? Have you ever ridden a rhino? There is nothing comparable....I broke my collerbone on a 4 wheeler, does that make me stupid? kfab broke his on a motorcycle, does this make him stupid? *
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/bsflag.gif

I think there is a fundamental difference.....you both were doing what your respective machines were intended to do and the risk was obvious to you, correct?

.....though marketing makes it questionable, the rhino was never intended for what it is being turned into and many don't recognize this....

Andy_1972
03-24-2008, 09:03 PM
You broke your collarbone on an ATV? Stupid....no.....did you overdrive it...YES. Did insurance pay to fix it? YES.

Andy_1972
03-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I won't call you or K-Fab STUPID......but if you injured yourselves you overdrove your machines and did dumb shit.

Bugpac
03-24-2008, 09:16 PM
I sure would like someone to explain what a glorified golf cart is BTW...

Andy_1972
03-24-2008, 09:17 PM
The rhino is capable....for the intended purpose. Hauling wood, straw , hay, manure. Taking trips through SLIGHTLY rough terrain in the back 40. If you are "unfortunate" enough to think it can that it can be a *wheeler and can hill climb or do dunes, and when it expectantly rolls over your arm.....you get what you deserve. Just tired of lawsuits from asswipes that buy rhinos to wheel in.

Bugpac
03-24-2008, 09:21 PM
The rhino is capable....for the intended purpose. Hauling wood, straw , hay, manure. Taking trips through SLIGHTLY rough terrain in the back 40. If you are "unfortunate" enough to think it can that it can be a *wheeler and can hill climb or do dunes, and when it expectantly rolls over your arm.....you get what you deserve. Just tired of lawsuits from asswipes that buy rhinos to wheel in.

And you base this definition on what? Your own personal experience, Or something you read? so the only thing making this not suitable in your eyes is what, not having doors?

Bugpac
03-24-2008, 09:24 PM
My neighbor tripped and fell on the driveway, and broke his arm, does that mean he overdrove his shoes? Should they have had a warning on the side? [smilie=strokin.gif]

Andy_1972
03-24-2008, 09:26 PM
ITS NOT A WHEELER. Not meant to be. Its a utility vehicle. Its was like me trying to push my Dodge Avenger to the limit. Taking corners at 80MPH....but I wouldn't have sued if the damn thing failed. Its a POS *car. Rhinos are not wheelers. You want a wheeler....buy one. Don't expect a a Rhino to do what a real mini buggy can.....thats all I am saying. And don't sue when it doesn't.

Andy_1972
03-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Or complain when you get a broken limb.

hero_saku39
03-24-2008, 10:28 PM
You are absolutely correct. Not sure how my drinking...or smoking....or being fat fit into this. But hey...you are right on all counts. Was just pissed because some dip-w00ter broke his leg in a rhino. I thought it made us all look bad. Now its a personal attack on my drinking smoking overweight w00ter. Fair enough. I never really contributed here anyways. I am no longer wanted I guess and rightfully so. My opinion still stands. Break your leg in a rhino.....Your own damn fault. Goodbye.

later......

Pacman
03-24-2008, 10:29 PM
ITS NOT A WHEELER. Not meant to be.

Well dang.....somebody should tell the web design guys at Yamaha that it's "NOT A WHEELER"! Sure as heck look like these 2 guys are "wheeling" the thing....... [smilie=blowkiss.gif]

Pacman
03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I was out in the shop working.....not sitting at the keyboard all night! [smilie=blowkiss.gif] *[smilie=loser.gif]

But the point remains....Yamaha designed these things as wheelers.....his basic premise is wrong! Sure way back when they started as farm vehicles.....but that day is long gone. *[smilie=alright.gif]
And why is he so worried about health insurance....... hillary/obama are going to fix all of that....no worries man! [smilie=strokin.gif]

K-fab
03-25-2008, 08:42 AM
I won't call you or K-Fab STUPID......but if you injured yourselves you overdrove your machines and did dumb w00ter.I had not read any of this thread up to the point of seeing it locked. *Now I'm going back and reading...

Since I was dragged into this I would like to throw out a little opinion.

When I broke my leg I did not overdrive my machine - if anything I underdrove it and didn't clear a double jump. *Machine's fault? *Partially - jetting was off, it surged and stepped out on me. *My fault? *ABSOLUTELY! *I should have never thrown a leg over that Suzuki.

Collarbone - my fault four of five times, taken out once by two buddies and a tree.
Ribs - taken out by a racer once, taken myself out even more
Wrist - was hit from behind - not my fault. * Caught a rock thrown by a buddy in middle school, not my fault. *Found the ground - my fault.
Little toe - not my fault - KX250 rear axle nut found me when the rider was taken out.
Little finger - hard to say - lost the front end, fell over. *My fault? *Bike's fault? *Nah, front end tucked in a rut - it was an accident.

Did I do something dumb? *Absolutely not. *I know the risks that I take every time I throw a leg over a bike or climb into a car. *There's a chance, each and every time, that I will never walk again or never take another breath when I use one of these machines. *Do I blame the machine? *Absolutely not. *Do I blame myself? *Sometimes. *Do I try to blame anything or anyone? *Nope. *

There's no point in assigning blame. *Deal with the results of what happened and get on with life. *Don't look for a scapegoat, don't look for a reason. *By the time you're dealing with being hurt, the reasoning behind the hurt doesn't matter one bit. *It's in the past, it can't be changed and it's wasted time and effort saying "What if""What could have been""If I'd done that differently". *

The reality of it all is that accidents happen. *I deal with them when I have them. *I don't blame anyone unless I've been taken out (toe, wrist, collarbone) and even then I don't point a finger at anyone - it's all part of the risk that I take enjoying the sports that I love.

I have insurance. *I pay a hefty premium, as I cover myself - I don't have an employer, I don't have someone taking care of me. *My insurance covers me and I don't ask anyone else to step up to the plate. *I am responsible for myself, my actions and the outcomes that may happen.

masterfabr
03-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Yep and if all lived and believed that way we wouldn't be paying for the stupidity of others that will sue for anything.

masterfabr
03-26-2008, 07:15 AM
AT THE REQUEST OF BUGPAC. *This is his thread and I was asked to delete a bunch of it.I have done so.If it is not to your liking blame bug.Bug,if I didn't delete enough of it-TOO BAD.I have done all I am going to do. Let it be known-I WILL NOT DO THIS AGAIN. You guys want to act like fools and post a bunch of crap that is intended to goad others into a poo fest *with personal attacks and name calling or any other BS feel free because the next time a thread turns into a BS fest and the author joins in it will end in the entire topic being permanently locked or deleted IN ITS ENTIRETY. PERIOD. This little kid crap has been going on long enough.Either engage in discussions in a mature manner or expect to be treated like little kids.SIMPLE!

Bugpac
03-26-2008, 02:53 PM
AT THE REQUEST OF BUGPAC. *This is his thread and I was asked to delete a bunch of it.I have done so.If it is not to your liking blame bug.Bug,if I didn't delete enough of it-TOO BAD.I have done all I am going to do. Let it be known-I WILL NOT DO THIS AGAIN. You guys want to act like fools and post a bunch of crap that is intended to goad others into a poo fest *with personal attacks and name calling or any other BS feel free because the next time a thread turns into a BS fest and the author joins in it will end in the entire topic being permanently locked or deleted IN ITS ENTIRETY. PERIOD. This little kid crap has been going on long enough.Either engage in discussions in a mature manner or expect to be treated like little kids.SIMPLE!

Just delete the whole thing then, will that make you feel like god then... I see a day in the near future, were you end up on the same side of the fence as I.....

masterfabr
03-26-2008, 04:04 PM
[smilie=thumbs_up.gif]

K-fab
03-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Enough, please.