PDA

View Full Version : Akpilot's next Project

Akpilot
01-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Well I came acrossed a Craiglist's add and I just had to purchase it,... like I need another project, OH YEAH. *I started to document the teardown and build on another board and since we have a Pilot area I figured I place it here, if it should be in Projects section please move it.

Wayne

Akpilot
01-07-2008, 12:55 AM
I decited to extend the frame like I did my FL800. *I also decited to widen the rear engine bay on this project. *I looked at widening the frame on my first Pilot but thought it was too much trouble.

Wayne

Akpilot
01-07-2008, 01:01 AM
cutting the frame.

Akpilot
01-07-2008, 01:15 AM
I plan on making this project a long travel Pilot like the Fl800's suspension.

The problem with widening the frame is the rear A-arm mounting point moves out with the frame. *Because the rear upper A-arm mounting point stays with the engine cradle it make them out of line with each other. *I have stressed over this on the last build and decited not to widen it, but instead make the extended section match up with the stock width. * One way is just move the mount out and instead of using a bushing on the A-arm use a heim joint. *I'm sure this would work but what will it do to the suspension movement? *

I decited to leave the mounting point in the stock location and make the wider frame adapt to the mounting point.

Wayne

LEE1969GB
01-07-2008, 01:33 AM
My son (13 years old) wants us to have a 2 seater, (so he can scare me) he says "can we just cut my pilot in half, down the centre and weld some bits of tube in to make it wider" [smilie=biggrin.gif]

nutz4sand
01-07-2008, 02:21 AM
I gotta admit that with the skills you have AKpilot why do you not build frames from the ground up? Its clear you have the ability. Just curious why you do not? I have seen your other creations (pics and youtube) and hope this goes as well as those. Bill

chopshop
01-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Well I came acrossed a Craiglist's add and I just had to purchase it,... like I need another project, OH YEAH. *I started to document the teardown and build on another board and since we have a Pilot area I figured I place it here, if it should be in Projects section please move it.

Wayne

Hey ! Akpilot

Where are you located? If you dont mind me asking how much did you get a Pilot like that for?

Akpilot
01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Lee,
I remember those days as a kid, "Dad can WE build it ....,but why not? *I'm sure it'll work you just need to weld it. *NO, I don't want to grow up to be an engineer, I just want to build it".

Nutz,
Yea others have asked the same question, myself included. *I do have Rortys' plans for the shotgun, still have not opened it yet. *I guess I just have a soft spot for the Honda line, comes from the days when I was a kid.. *"Dad if we can't buy one, *I know WE (mostly him) can build one! I'll get the measurements. "[smilie=mhihi.gif] *
Really though, I was trying hard to keep this one stock, but you know, * "If I'm going to powder coat it, I should make it long travel first, well if LT it, then I should make it with a sno-go motor, "I do know those engines much better that the 400". * You know honey it's really for the boy, in a few years that tired 400 will not be enough him, if I'm going to do it I should do it right... right?" * *In the immortal words of Steve Martin "I can rationalize the last lint ball from homeless bum on the street."

Chop,
I'm located in the "land of the Midnight Sun", er uh well now it's land of the mid-day moon. *I'm in Anchorage Alaska, and the Island I purchased it from is Kodiak where the worlds largest Brown Bears are. *The guy I got it from brought it over from Kodiak, he was living in an apartment did not have a place/money to rebuild it, so instead of shipping it back he sold it. *I ran acrosses it at 10:30 P.M. on a Wedensday night, "Pilot $800.00" needs rebuilding". *I wrestled with calling that late, "screw it I call". *darn it was already sold does not supprise me being 4 hours after it posted "but did you get the money for it yet? No, then can I come look at it?... yea now, I'll be right over, I know I can't see anything but I don't want to wait untill morning." *Well after a long story, smooth talking.... NO that's not it, it was the videos of my FL800 that did it. *AnywayI ended up buying it for 1,000.00, I guess he wanted to give it a good home. *Not sure what he told the other buyer, but the next morning he pulled the ad and turned off his cell phone from all the calls. *Moral, if you snooze you loose. [smilie=non_banana2.gif]

Wayne

Creativeness
01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Your lucky, there was a rust bucket pilot here that sold for 3,000... no motor or top cage either.

im never going to find one =(

Odyknuck
01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Ak, How much trouble was it to streach your frame. Do you have any close up pics of it. Im in the process of putting a twin 700 rotax in my LT Pilot and I am debating on doing it. *I dont want to recut the *the "Y" pipe to face down if I dont have to.

LEE1969GB
01-08-2008, 03:54 PM
[quote="Akpilot";p="56979"]Lee,
I remember those days as a kid, "Dad can WE build it ....,but why not? *I'm sure it'll work you just need to weld it. *NO, I don't want to grow up to be an engineer, I just want to build it".

Well my son was right, We have done it, A 2 seater pilot we "just welded some bits of tube in" What do you think?

LEE1969GB
01-08-2008, 04:15 PM
OK I lied [smilie=ashamed.gif] *This is called a pacer patriot, I think they took some styling ques from the pilot!
This uses a 24 hp kohler engine and the steering wheel swops over so you can drive from either side, I assume it has 2 sets of pedals.
I had one of these a few years ago but an older model, mine used polaris magnum quad engine, suspension and just about anything else they could use off the quad, It was underpowerd and not much ground clearance, It had A pilot type steering wheel and controls, It was great fun to have someone in the passenger seat scare the life out of him get it in a big slide in some mud and throw the steering wheel over to the passenger [smilie=biggrin.gif] It was wide and low so not much chance of going over.
I wish I had kept it now and put my other 800 rotax engine in it [smilie=big_explode.gif]

K-fab
01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I have seen pix of a couple two seater pilots that were widened. *I believe they are on the [url=http://www.pilot-odyssey.com:11nekkm5]Pilot Odyssey Board[/url:11nekkm5] *Try a search for two seat pilot and see what comes up. *They were both pretty cool rides. *One I can't recall the specifics of, the other was built by a guy here in the States that works(ed?) with Honda's R&D department.

Akpilot
01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Odyknuck,
I think stretching the frame is no problem at all and it make perfect sence also as a bonus the cockpit much wider. *I use cromolly .058 wall for the inner sleeve and it's a snug fit, with the inner sleeve at least 3" in both sides you can adjust the whole frame before you weld it back together. *I Tig weld it together 1/4 the way around each weld, move to the next weld ect., while it's clamped to a welding table. *If you mig the frame I would preheat first to get parent material ready for wire. *When welding I like a 1/8" gap between the outer pipe so I get good penetration into the inner sleeve, also drill and spot weld before and aft on each weld. I have enclosed pictures of where I'm at right now. *If you want any other pictures from any angle just let me know. *
What are your plans for the transmission? Belt? Gas Tank? *I know you said the reason for stretching is not to cut and down turn the Y pipe, but I can't see you getting around this (I can try and get some close up's of the Y pipe on the FL800 if you want). *Even now It's real hard to stretch it past 4" Because of the plastics. *I thought I stretched it 4.5 but with further review it was only 4". *Past 4" the side plastic starts to run into the trailing arm mounting point and starts pushing it outward, I really need 5" so I still scratching what's left of my hair. [smilie=blink.gif]

Lee,
Glad to see I was not the only one who drove their dad crazy. *I have not seen that buggy but I have seen the double pilot that K-fab is talking about. *If I remember correctly one was a "Photo Shop" picture and one was a real 2-seater that a guy had access to Honda Pilot parts bin and build one.

Wayne

LEE1969GB
01-09-2008, 02:17 PM
That RX1 motor Opsled has for sale would make it go well and exhaust would not be as difficult as A 2 stroke, Could your budget stretch to that, Dont tell the wife [smilie=biggrin.gif]

plkracer
01-10-2008, 03:34 AM
That'll make it the fastest pilot around. Talk about wheel stands!

Akpilot
01-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Lee,
Your close definately on the right track! Think just a little smaller, about 25% (Hint, Hint) [smilie=mhihi.gif] . This weekend should determine if I can shoe horn it in and I'll get pics. I'm almost there with the stretching. *I think I'll tack it together, set the rear A-arm mounts and then we'll see how much I'll need in width.

Plkracer,
Yea it would be fast but probably wouldn't touch the Turbo 700 I had in it before 220HP @ 10PSI. *And now that the cat is out of the bag, I'm taking more heat than K-Fab gives Suzuki for turning to the 4-stroke side. *[smilie=icon_bolt.gif] *

Wayne

plkracer
01-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Wow, would the wheels even hook up, let alone last a day of riding?

LEE1969GB
01-11-2008, 04:29 PM
I am not that well up on snowmobiles, so is it a 750 v max or is there a later 3 cylinder 750 yamaha. What are you using for transmission, the pilot trans will not live with that will it, and those RPM transmissions are not cheap, The snowmobile transmission?
Come on then lets see it [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Akpilot
01-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Frame is comming together nicely IMO.

Wayne

plkracer
01-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Looking good. *Did you sleeve the joints too?

Akpilot
01-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Pilot Rage-

Now that I can see that the frame is going to house this size of engine I can use the Yamaha Rage motor I purchased. *I got this motor thinking of building the new Rorty stadium lite but this Pilot presented it's self and well my mind kept turning. * If the frame stretching did not lend its self to this motor I was going Polaris 2 stroke again. [smilie=mhihi.gif], I'm still a 2-stroke guy at heart. *

Why 4-stroke for me then?
1. *Others here have been singing the praises of 4-stroke and just maybe I'm softening. *If the 4stroke proves it's better than 2-stroke then I'll be the first to change. *I'm not brand loyal to the death as many snowmobilers are, heck I currently own Arctic Cat, Ski-doo and Polaris - Yamaha is still a bit too heavy in the steep and deep IMO.[smilie=icon_bolt.gif] *

2. *In my FL800 I do not like the throttle pull, 10' cable to sno-go throttle block to carbs and oil pump is taxing on the poor thumb, and with the Rage is should be easier.

3. *I'm not still not sure about my pipe, In stock trim the Polaris 800 should have 135 H.P., but I've learned that the motor will run on any billy-bob pipe, and I'm not sure of my current pipe output, so ease of exhaust is appealing. *

4. *I've heard that the Yamaha have great torque output and that's what I want in a 800+ pound buggy.

Anyway I'm committed and it should be fun
Wayne

FL250Modder
01-14-2008, 12:38 AM
hmmm *Lookin good. *I think im gonna find a pilot for my next project

plkracer
01-14-2008, 01:04 AM
How close would the headers be to your seat when the motor is reversed? Also, your direction of rotation would change, so you would have to be in reverse compared to having the carbs in front.

LEE1969GB
01-14-2008, 03:29 AM
If you call it a rage pilot its going to get confusing http://ragemotorsport.com/

K-fab
01-14-2008, 08:21 AM
You are going to LOVE that powerplant. *It will make you snub your nose at the old Two Smoke.

I was die hard two smoker for years, but I finally saw the light of the modern four stroke and now want nothing to do with the old smokers anymore.
No more messing with mixing fuel - although I really miss the smell of a good two stroke oil being burned.
EFI - *[smilie=bow.gif]
Power output - wonderfully wide and flexible. *Even with a CVT setup, you'll notice that the four stroke is so much more flexible than a peaky two banger that it's a really nice change.
The four stroke can be made quite quiet. *Don't be afraid to choke down the exhaust note and loose a few ponies - the loss of sound will be more than worth what you'd loose and the amount of power you're putting in the machine is already at the limit of being too much, so it's a good trade off.

Welcome to the Five Valved Club!

Akpilot
01-14-2008, 10:46 AM
250 modder,
Thanks for the kind words, I find the Pilot size appealing.

Plkracer,
Oddly enough the reason I'm not reversing the motor is I would have to have expensive reverse cut helixes cut in order for it to work. *Arctic Cat uses a Dimond drive gear reduction that is on the same side as the clutches. *The secondary attaches to a thin gear box which uses gearing and planatary gears for reduction. *I wanted to take out the planatary gears an thus have a reversing unit so the transmission would be in forward gear, trans would not last in reverse. *Anyhow complexity and the helixes are not worth the effort, so I stretched it more than the FL800.

Lee,
Yea, it might be confusing but they're about as far away from me as one could get on this planet [smilie=boogie.gif] and I like the name PILOT RAGE. *I've been thinking of having the side plastic sticker that says "Pilot" to have RAGE written diagonally across the "t" in Pilot. *I'm not artistic enough maybe I can talk Yoshi into something cool.

K-Fab,
Yes all the Yamaha guys tell me (small percentage here, matter of fact I have yet to ride one). *I am looking forward to the change, really did not want to do the same thing again.
One thing about this power plant is it is not EFI, it is like the RX-1 with carbs, only the new 2008 Nytro is EFI in the 3-cylinder power plant. *Also it is not Pto gear reduced, the clutch hangs off the crand and the motor turns at a clutch friendly RPM. *And last but not least it only has 4 valves to my knoledge. *This motor found it's way into the Yamaha: Vector, Viking Pro, Nytro and Rage snowmobiles, I might be missing one not 100% sure on that. *The Power plant make about 120 hp and should be bullet proof. *Anyway I think your right I will like this motor in a buggie!! *Only time will tell if it's one ups the FL800.

Wayne

K-fab
01-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Ah. *I believe you are right about the top end. *I've only messed w/the YZF motocross bikes, the RX1/Apex and the Phazer engines, so I forget that they're not all the same. *The five valve design is almost universal for Yamaha's stuff, so when the throw in a 4 valve setup I get lost! *[smilie=blink.gif]

I also missed the EFI versus carbs. *Once again, I'm stuck on thinking about what I have. *I'm either close minded or just oblivious - not sure. *[smilie=loser.gif]

I did get 120 hp correct, though... .. .. *well, in my head. *I didn't write it anywhere. [smilie=boogie.gif]

opsled
01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
You will LOVE!!! that engine.

*Here is what the guys at Dyno Tech had to say about it.

* * * * * *opsled

Akpilot
01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks for posting that Opsled!
I have not seen a dyno sheet from this engine but everyone who I talked to about this engine was right about the torque, down low just what a heavy buggy needs (compaired to a sno-go). *It looks like 9000 should be the target RPM for this motor. (I assume a -200 RPM variance with stock tacks, not sure on Yamaha's they might be closer).

One thing that worried me is the airbox and the write up you posted confirmed this, and there is no way I can put on a stock airbox. *I purchased a airbox from e-bay just so I would have the air horns, I'll need to get this figured out before I weld the chassie together as I might need to stretch it more [smilie=banghead.gif]. *Also the exhaust also has me somewhat concerned, how close in length do I need to get? will keeping all three headers the same be good enough, the stock header is pretty long and straight (running the length of the seat).
I did buy all that I could when the motor became available, wiring harness, header, muffler, both clutches. *Since then I have purchased multi-function gage, and airbox.

Again thanks Opsled, this is sure making me ancy! *Screw work I'm calling in sick... oh wait I'm doing it at the shop, dang can't even call in sick. [smilie=big_explode.gif]

Wayne

opsled
01-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Check out k-fabs air box on his Briggs/Phazer. He incoroprated the air horns into his box and it seemed to work well. I would imagine you could do something similar. I don't think the lenght or shape of your pipe will bother to much but header length and back pressure from the muffler will probably play a larger roll. I think k-fab tried to duplicate header length as much as possible and just fed it all into the same muffler that the engine came with. DynoTech hasn't done any other testing that I can find on intake or exhaust mods for your engine or I would pass them along. I don't know what you have for clutches to use but if you could uses the stock Yamaha primary you should be real close. They say you should clutch to max HP but I'm not so sure that is the right way to go on these Yammie 4 stroke under all conditions. If you are racing or always running balls out maby so but if you do a lot of part throttle running (and I'm sure you will with this engine in your Pilot) you may be running a lot of unnessessary RPM much of the time.

* *When I first bought my RX1 the guy had installed a Bender clutch kit in it. It consisted of primary and secondary springs, Heel Clickers and a Bender helix. It hadn't been run in the sled for more than 50 miles and the guy that installed it for the owner of the sled kept the paperwork on it and the OEM parts so I wasn't sure where it was at but I didn't keep it in long. It had engagement up to about 5500 and the engine would run at 7500+ RPM's minimum all the time you were moving even if you were trying to baby it. I tried it in the grass right after I picked it up and it would yank your arms off with the skis 3ft in the air while digging a 3" deep hole across the yard. *Out on the snow where traction was less it was worthless and very hard to keep from spinning the track. Bagging it at anything under 35mph would be instant track spin and it was studded with 144 Woodys Gold carbides. *I bought all the stock parts to put back in the clutches just to see what "stock" felt like and it was a HUGE!!! improvement. It didn't feel radical anymore but just pulled and pulled HARD!!! from a 20mph roll on all the way to the top and was actally much faster. You still can't bag it off the line but it was a drastic improvment. Stock was a much softer setup than the Bender kit and gave the engine more work to do much sooner. The guys at the drag strip are always putting clutch in or taking it out so they don't overpower the track and you can do the same here if you can't get the bite needed to hold it back. Those engines have so much torque at such a wide range that unless you can get enough bite to hold it down you will gain nothing by overreving the engine beyond whats needed. I could see where big paddle tires and sand could be a different story but you'll have to play with that. I think you will have an easy time getting the clutching dialed and even if your off some you probably won't notice. When you get that far I would say to keep giving that engine more work by softening things up untill it can't handle it then bring it back. I think you will find it much easier to drive, much more efficient and faster than a radical setup.

* * * * * * * Good Luck, opsled

Odyknuck
01-15-2008, 03:38 PM
What are your plans for the transmission? Belt? Gas Tank?
------------------------------
For now Im going to use the Pilot trans. I will be using a team driven with the Skidoo TRA drive clutch so the belt would be for them. Length of belt determined at build time. The Gas tank will be a custom built aluminum unit. *Looking at the way you are streaching yours i see that it is also widing the cockpit area. I was looking at putting a tank on each side in that area.
-----------------------------------------------
I was intending on just streching the frame behind the roll bar without widining the frame at all. However looking at the way it tapers backm, making a transition would be more diffucult to do.
---------------------------------------------
I know you said the reason for stretching is not to cut and down turn the Y pipe, but I can't see you getting around this (I can try and get some close up's of the Y pipe on the FL800 if you want).
I was thinking that when the frame was streached at the roll bar the cockpit would be moved forward *allowing the room to not have to modify the "Y" pipe. I assumme that you kept your seat farther back to gain additional leg room in the cockpit on your 800 build.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even now It's real hard to stretch it past 4" Because of the plastics. *I thought I stretched it 4.5 but with further review it was only 4". *Past 4" the side plastic starts to run into the trailing arm mounting point and starts pushing it outward, I really need 5" so I still scratching what's left of my hair. *
I want to streach it 6" , that way I can reuse the original mounts on the frame for the rear supension arms. *The plastic seems to be the biggest issue to make it look good. I have heard you can streach the frame and leave the plastic in the stock position does not look to bad.

Akpilot
01-15-2008, 06:43 PM
I have ordered a RPM transmission from Desert Dog with the 9 to 1 gear ratio. *I will however have Jay make me some custom axles that are 930 inboard and honda pilot outboard, 2 sets for both pilots and change the FL800. *As for the gas tank, I'm going to plagiarize K-Fabs tank, and airbox for that matter. [smilie=mhihi.gif]

I was intending on just streching the frame behind the roll bar without widining the frame at all. However looking at the way it tapers backm, making a transition would be more diffucult to do.
Yes making the frame wider, the natural way it wants to open up is IMO easier. *The hardest part is the stock Rear A-Arm bracket, which I think I have it down. *I did talked to Jay of Desert Dog who stretched the ATV-R Pilots and he basically chopped off the back end and had to remake the entire back half with new. *He said that it made the back something like 3 inches narrower by the time it was stretched 6". *He also saw no reason one could not have the rear A-Arm mount move out and use a heim joint instead of a bushing. *I chose to keep the mount stock despite moving out the frame.

I was thinking that when the frame was streached at the roll bar the cockpit would be moved forward *allowing the room to not have to modify the "Y" pipe. I assumme that you kept your seat farther back to gain additional leg room in the cockpit on your 800 build.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. I can move the seat back almost 2" on the Fl800. *When I stretched it 4", two was used for engine and 2 for seat room I just have not remade seat mounts. *That is why I cut the frame infront of the seat mounts to move back on the Rage Pilot, much simpler.

I want to streach it 6" , that way I can reuse the original mounts on the frame for the rear supension arms. *The plastic seems to be the biggest issue to make it look good. I have heard you can streach the frame and leave the plastic in the stock position does not look to bad.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"reuse the original mounts on the frame for the rear supension arms"-Please elaborate.

From what your saying, it sounds like you want to stretch just infront of the trailing arm bracket? correct? *You could do that with no problem I can think of. *I chose to cut the top and bottom as far from each other as to not have the splice in the same spot. *
Yes when bringing the plastics back and the trailing arm mount basically in the stock location it runs into the mount. *You CAN stretch the frame and leave the plastic all in the stock location but I don't personally like it. *It looks like too much frame sticking out of the back end even from far away, also the holes for the rear plastics don't match up (shock mounts). * If you untuck the side from the front, from a distance it looks basically stock. *Most people that don't know Pilots (almost everyone here) don't even know the plastic is untucked.

Wayne

K-fab
01-15-2008, 06:53 PM
I have ordered a RPM transmission from Desert Dog with the 9 to 1 gear ratio. *I will however have Jay make me some custom axles that are 930 inboard and honda pilot outboard, 2 sets for both pilots and change the FL800. *As for the gas tank, I'm going to plagiarize K-Fabs tank, and airbox for that matter. [smilie=mhihi.gif]Great to hear that you've been talking to Jay. *The guy knows his stuff. *I'll be interested in seeing the axles you get done. *I should be out there about that time. (guessing on build time for them).

Copy my stuff? *Ah, you shouldn't! *LOL! (I am flattered! *[smilie=blowkiss.gif] ) *Let me know if you have any questions and I'll let you know how I went about doing it. *The airbox thing is pretty easy. *Tank is a bit more complicated - don't forget to put baffles in it. *[smilie=banghead.gif] *[smilie=ashamed.gif]

Akpilot
01-15-2008, 07:19 PM
K-fab,
I also left off the PTO rear engine mount that you attached to the RPM trans. [smilie=icon_bolt.gif]

The rear A-Arm frame locator frame worked out great. *For now i'm just keeping any changes to the frame very well tacked untill I have the motor, trans, tank ect mounted.

Wayne

LEE1969GB
01-29-2008, 04:33 AM
Any progress, Is it running yet [smilie=biggrin.gif] * Pilot odyssey forum has gone quiet.

AtvNut
02-02-2008, 01:38 AM
I have a pilot frame and trans similar to what AK started out with for sale (sorry for the Hi-jack) no top roll cage and similar rust problems I am asking $1500

Akpilot
02-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Roll bar attachment joints. *These joints are like the stock Honda pilot uses. *I will use these type of joints throughout the build. *I plan on using them on the roll cage where I extend it, also on the removable frame member for the clutch, and the removable motor mounts.

Wayne

Akpilot
02-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Removable frame member for easy access to the secondary clutch.

Akpilot
02-27-2008, 02:09 PM
With the engine/transmission cradle out I decited to tackle the issues, rust and rock damage.

Akpilot
02-29-2008, 07:14 PM
It's starting to look like a buggie frame again.

I got the 2nd bent roll cage hoop and started mocking in the new cage shape.

Wayne

Akpilot
02-29-2008, 08:06 PM
The two hoops look bad together, the stock Honda hoop has a much tighter radius to it. * When I had it bent I knew they were different but did not think it would look this bad, when I was bending it the stock hoop had not been cut so we were just holding it over the stock. *I'll just have another hoop bent up and not use the stock hoop. *On my Fl800 I purchased another stock rear cage and with shipping I did not want to go that route, besides getting a dent/bend free cage aint easy or cheap. *I sure the two new hoops will look much better.

Wayne

bazz
02-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Lookin' good Wayne.You have a lot of patience mate!
Thanks for the pics etc,have been following this with a lot of interest.
Keep this Good Thing a rollin' along! [smilie=boogie.gif]
Cheers Baz

Akpilot
03-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Mounting the RPM transmission.

I'm mounting the Transmission the same as my FL800. *The Trans uses the bolts in the case to mount the two plates. *The front plates' bolt is a pivot point, with the rear and the top (Hat) have elongated slots so the trans can pivot forward and backwards. *This allows you to use a range of belt lengths because you can set belt deflection with the pivoting trans. *I think the FL800's secondary moved about 3/4", therefore the belt circumference difference range is 1.5". *If you pick popular belt lengths to begin with chances are if your in need of a belt the "borrowed" belt will get you out, naturally this does not take into concideration belt width.

Wayne

Magna
03-03-2008, 08:23 PM
How are you finding time to work on this thing when there is still snow on the ground? That trailer/ worktable is made to haul sno-gos to the mountains. Thats why nothing gets done on my rail, I'm never in the shop.

The oddy looks like it is taking shape, looks real good. I actually like the 6.5" spacing on the roll cage and you could use the extra room for your large mellon.

Akpilot
03-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Alright no mellon jokes,

I've been grounded from snowmobiling since the last Turnagain Avalanche got one of the best riders in the world. *Two from Turnagain Hard Core (THC) lost their lives in Feb. 15, 2008. *Seriously I can't think of a worse way to go than buried alive.

On a lighter note I've been able to get into the shop more. *I started to see how the engine will fit in the chassie. *This 4 stroke is HUGE.

Bugpac
03-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Ak, what driven is that with the Hi Tech er kit on it?

Akpilot
03-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Bug,

It is on a Arctic Cat Secondary, I believe from a Firecat F7.

Wayne

Bugpac
03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Was just curious, i got one of them and cant hardley give it away, are you planning on using it or have you used it in a car? Just wondering how it backshifts etc...

Akpilot
03-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Bug,
I have not run this clutch on my Pilot. *I purchased the secondary at a swap meet and put the ER kit on it. *I have been wanting to put it on my Firecat to see the difference between the stock and this one, but theres too much snow for a short track so I have not had it out yet. *I will before end of winter, matter fact this week is starting spring break and a perfect time to take my boy riding and I can do some tool time.

Wayne

Magna
03-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Sorry for the wise crack. If you can get that thing to hook up you may need turning brakes to turn cause you front wheels may not be on the ground much. What year did the RX1 get FI or did it? I may have found one.

K-fab
03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
RX1 never had EFI - they changed the name to Apex when they went EFI. *I believe they brought out the Apex in 06, but don't hold me to that... *

Oh Opsled, guru of Yamaha, can you fill in the blanks? [smilie=bow.gif]

Akpilot
03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Yes K-fab is right RX-1 were carbed and Apex is the next generation with EFI.

I need some help. *I stretched the frame and with the FL800 I left the bracing alone, but with this one it really looks too far between the cross bracing. *I think I need more bracing, I can either get rid of the Honda bracing and do all my own or add to the Honda. *I'm leaning towards going with the middle picture and just adding 3 braces to the Honda braces.

Honda only did cross braces but no upright braces and even gaps between cross bracing. *Most I see here have the uprights with cross braces like in my last picture. *I'm not questioning Honda but is uprights with cross braces stronger? *What is the criteria for distance between uprights?

Please Paint away!

Thanks
Wayne

K-fab
03-14-2008, 04:25 PM
What about doing a short triangle in gap? *Run one tube vertically, say from where the rear angled tube is up (right there where that line in your table is and then angle one from the other to the top of that.

You'd only have to add two pieces on each side, wouldn't have to cut anything away and you maintain the triangulated structure.

Akpilot
03-14-2008, 04:34 PM
K-fab,
Like This? *One thing I need to be carefull with is the seat belt mounting bung, one reason to go through the original Honda bracing (a wider upsidown V if you will).

Wayne

K-fab
03-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Yea, something like that - but make the rear one vertical.

That should give you clearance for the belt mount - that's the bung that is visible there where the rear blue line and the stock frame brace come together, right?

Bugpac
03-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Isnt the bung going to be 6" to far forward after the stretch?

Akpilot
03-15-2008, 01:36 AM
K-fab,
Yes, the seatbelt bung is right there *I would have to move the stock Honda cross brace back to make room for the upright. *I'll look into that tomarrow.

Bug,
Nope, the seatbelt bung and the seat mount have the same relationship to each other as stock. *The bottom rail only moved back 1.5" in front of the seat mounting points, the rest 5" is in the engine bay. *I cut the cross braces free of the top rail to allow the full 6" where the large opening is now, thus I think I need to brace it better.

Thanks,
Wayne

Akpilot
03-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Well the bracing jury is still out, so I decited to work on the engine mounting, I'm not at a loss for things to do [smilie=mhihi.gif] .

Wayne

Akpilot
03-31-2008, 09:01 PM
This weekend I have been able to devote some time to the Rage Pilot. *Between scratching my head and scratching my uh... [smilie=icon_bolt.gif] , I think I have finally got the engine and trans mounting worked out, and I still have some hair left for the next problem [smilie=mhihi.gif] .

With the engine mounting points so high in the back I decited on making two 1" down tubes to carry them, hard mounted. *I needed to cut into the PTO mounting tube for trans clearance. *On the front of the engine I made removable mounts so I can remove the engine through the cockpit without taking off the cage.

Wayne

Akpilot
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Engine in final resting spot!

With the seat and plastic foot tub in I actually need to move the stock seat forward! *It might be just right, the new suspension seat is thicker than the stock seat.

Wayne

Akpilot
04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Reciently I was looking at another Pilot build-up (ludedude's) and saw that his gas tank builder used styrofoam to mock up his tank. *It seemed like a good idea to help me see what my tank will look like and for ease of making paper cut-out patterns later. *Now I want to make the tank last as to allow for any modifications, with things like shifter cables, wiring harness ect. *I also want to incorporate the oil tank for the engine on top of the gas tank on the PTO side to help offset the weight distribution. * With the airbox also on top of the gas tank the oil tank will be at the same height and hopefully not look too out of place. *Of course this all will be out of 1/8" Aluminum Diamond plate.

As I'm new to this styrofoam building stuff, what do you guys use to sand it? *I see that the fiberglass guys can get it really smooth for a "Plug". *Any help would be appreciated. * Also I can only see this making a real mess when sanding, stuff sticks to everything when I was cutting it, damn static-electricity.

Thanks
Wayne

plkracer
04-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Make a hot wire cutter from an old power supply for rough cuts. It's like a hot knife through butter... or a really hot knife through styrofoam!

Bugpac
04-21-2008, 10:11 PM
fiberglass guys bondo it and sand it smooth, then wax the bejesus out of it and hope it dont stick... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Akpilot
05-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Adding a little Bling Bling.

I hate waiting for parts, I have so many half started projects and nothing finished, so I decited to start another one [smilie=mhihi.gif] . *It seems that most of progress is held up by not having the second roll cage hoop bent up for me (man I need to get a bender). *My bender guy is a race car builder and with the start up of race season he's swamped. *I can't finish the gas tank untill I have the roll cage in place, need to mock up the filler neck, untill the gas tank finished I cant make the airbox, untill the airbox/roll cage I can't mount the radiator ect....ect....ect..... [smilie=banghead.gif].

So...... I dedited to work on the exhaust..... can't finish it either untill I get the 2.25" exhaust donut..... *Right now I have it tacked together, I need to find a way to stop the stainless from balling up inside the headers. *I don't have backing gas and not sure how to get copper inside the tube around the bends...Ideas?? *I have pluged both ends of the header so it doesnot thermal siphon new oxygen into weld areas but the build up inside will cause turbulance.

Wayne

plkracer
05-22-2008, 01:33 PM
It's looking great! I love your muffler, it looks sweet being oval.

Akpilot
05-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Yea me too, *as soon as I seen the muffler at the local Yamaha shop I had to get it. *This is actually for the Apex motor as it is shorter than the Rage muffler, but the rear red cone comes off and has reverse cones that can bolt into it for sound deading control. *So far Excell had been great to work with, and sent me lots of dyno mock-up pipe peices as this is far from a "bolt up system". *I actually only used the cones form the flex tubes and the collector so far.

Wayne

K-fab
05-22-2008, 09:04 PM
I love the muffler!!! *How loud is is supposed to be compared to stock?

Exhaust looks good so far.

Akpilot
05-22-2008, 09:20 PM
K-fab

I'm sure their louder than stock. *Here is their web site:

www.excellmotorsports.com (http://www.excellmotorsports.com)

Wayne

K-fab
05-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Bummer. *It's still a killer looking piece, though.

Akpilot
05-24-2008, 12:46 AM
K-fab

The Excell exhausts are susposed to be "tuneable" for sound control. *Not sure if you saw the silencer kits that fit all the Yamaha engines but here is a pic. *

Call and talk to Aaron and ask how low can the noise go, maybe with the smallest cone it will be close. *I know just the Headers build horse power with the stock silencer.

wayne

K-fab
05-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info Wayne. *I just wrote them and asked a bunch of questions. *We'll see where it goes from there.

Akpilot
07-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Ok, I finally got the roll cage bars bent up, after 4 months, 3 different guys ect, ect, ect. Need to get my own bender.

I purchased a suspension seat some time ago for the FL800. It was susposed to be for a Pilot but just does not seem to fit. With widening this Rage Pilot I was able to drop the seat between the stock seat mounts untill the bottom of the seat is even with the frame. But with the thickness of the seat I'm sitting much higher than stock.
What have you guys done to keep your head out of the roll cage with supension seats? With the seat in the back position, I can lean forward and hit my forehead on the front cross bar, without a helmet.

I'm thinking of raising the roll cage up about 4" and remaking the Hailo (the square above your head, not sure what it's called) longer in the front. Pros and Cons?

Wayne

Bugpac
07-27-2008, 06:45 PM
That seems like an extremly thick suspension seat IMO. You definitely need clear head room tho....:D

Odyknuck
08-21-2008, 11:56 AM
That is not a standard Supension seat. Like Bugpac said its extreamly thick. Most are about 4" thick were your but sits.

Odyknuck
10-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Wayne, Whats the status on your build?

Akpilot
10-15-2008, 12:29 PM

Nope, Nada, Nothin', Squat.....[smilie=banghead.gi:

It was killing me waiting on parts, Still not sure on the seat either. I either have to cut off the stock seat mounts and lower the seat below the frame (big no-no) or make the roll cage a lot higher for the thickness of the seat. Or through out the peice of @#$*&! seat all together - don't even like thinking about it.

So I had to walk away for a while. Since it has been snowing here,[smilie=rockout3.gi: I have to rebuild a 07 Apex I picked up. Thought is to run it for awhile untill I start another project. Or....I could get out the shoehorn again and start massaging the Rage Pilot into a Apex Pilot.[smilie=shocked.gif]....[smilie=mhihi.gif]

Wayne

Odyknuck
10-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Personally I would sell that seat and buy a standard Race Trim Supension seat. They are about $150.00. Then you dont have to dick around with lowering the mounts or raising the roll cage. Sometimes its best to re-think the stradgey when a part does not really work for the application. Been there done that many times. The wana use it because you got it concept is way over rated lol.

Akpilot
04-16-2009, 10:38 PM
Alright, time to get this tread up to date....

The past 6 months I have been busy rebuilding the Apex into a snowmobile again. It turned out pretty good, I love the motor but the sled is a bit heavy for the kind of riding I like. I did put on a lot of light weight parts and I'm sure it helped but have yet to compair it to a stocker... anyway on to the Rage Pilot.

I did buy a bender JDM with the mechanical arm. I have not used it much, only bent up the hailo part of the cage and it wrinkled the .058 cro-molly a little but not too bad. Of course the salesman said it would bent it no problem, guess I should have stated "without winkles". Not sure why but it wrinkled at the begining of the bend and no where else even with a die readjustment.
The selling point for this bender was: 1. I did not have to have a hydraulic ram and either an expensive motor or air compressor running in the background. 2. It has less tendancy to move in the dies while bending with the arm style benders, i.e. JD2 bender. Jury is still out if I'll be able to bend quality bends in .058 to my liking.

For welding the cage I brace the heck out of it as the last one I did it started to move on me when welding even though I was moving from weld spot to weld spot. I used clamped on square tubing for visual reference points to the main frame so it was square. All in all I pretty happy with the results and it's MUCH better than the stocker cage that has a tendency to bend the B pillar. Also it's nice to have a hoist for welding underneath, not quite as good as Protodie's spinning jig but effective. Maybe when the plans come out the jig will be in them:)

Wayne

Akpilot
04-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Gas tank taking shape.

I added the filler neck inbetween the two roll cage hoops to the styrofoam mock-up tank. I wanted the fuel pumps to be as low and as close to the pick-up as possible. Hope I don't have a problem like minibajaman had with the long case pressure tubes.[smilie=dunno.gif]
From the mock-up I took patterns and put them in dimond plate. they fit the mock-up tank fine but the bends were too sharp for the frame so I relaxed them to fit better. Not sure how I like the styrofoam mock-up tank, was it worth worth the effort? jury is still out. It did help get it from my head in tangable terms.

Wayne

minibajaman
04-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Your frame looks to be coming along nicely. I have never been able to get 1.25" OD chromo tubing thinner than .065 to bend nicely either, thats just the way it is I think. What radius die do you have?

That's quite the complex tank you are building, but it looks cool so far so hopefully it all works out. You are using two fuel pumps? Is that they way the sled is done or just something you are doing for the buggy?

Akpilot
04-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Mini,

I think it is a 5" radius, not sure have to go home and see but when I purchased it the salesman told me it would do as thin as .058. I like .058 because it fits so nicely together the next size down or up.

The carb sleds use two fuel pumps for either the 3 cylinder or the 4 cylinder. What I thought was weird is the pump diafram tube is comming off the carbs and not the case like a two stroke. My thoughts is the fuel pump will only see vacume and not vacume/pressure like from the 2 stroke motors. I guess just the vacume is enough. Right now I'm double thinking my choice on motor and going with a fuel injected version of this motor instead. Either adapt the fuel injection or complete motor kit (still trying to locate a motor). The carbs will be hidden behind the seat and airbox and with as many hoses comming off the carbs it will be a pain to rejet. Not to mention their all three connected in a rack style so you just can't twist them. ALso you need to take off all three bowls as there is no jet access/drain hole at the bottom.[smilie=gun_bash.gi: So while I'm building the tank I should just make it for fuel injection with electric fuel pump. Make a fuel tank with the fuel injection pump that goes to a regulator and then to the carbs, that way it will be easier to retrofit later and not have to deal with the tank [smilie=ecstatic.gi:.

Wayne

Akpilot
05-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Well it is official it no longer the Rage Pilot but now the Nytro Pilot. Kindof like a woman, buggy is not done and I'm changing mind (motor) again[smilie=non_banana1:.
Here is a few pics of the donor sled motor, like I said my 13yr old thinks every toy should be his and he was in the dumps that I was parting out such a nice sled (still can't figure why they totaled the sled) but after last weekend in the Fl800 he's thinking summer is not so bad after all. He's ready for the new Nytro Pilot.[smilie=mhihi.gif].
Two weeks ago we were putting away the snow-go's and while doing my semi-annual routine he tells me "This has to be the saddest day in a snowmobilers life"[smilie=cry.gif]. I think he's turning into a sled head.

Here are some pics. The gas tank is being cut up again to accomidate the fuel injection pump, nothing like doing something twice[smilie=gun_bash.gi: at least it was not finished.

Wayne

Akpilot
06-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Well progress is slow as this is our busy season here at work but I manage to get a hour or two after work. I find it relaxing after the headache of the front office.

Here are some pictures:
1. making fuel pump mounting plate.
2. Recessing into the back of the tank, same hole where I blocked it out for the old carb fuel pumps.
3. Bottom cut out for new fuel pump.
4. Fuel gage sending unit mounting plate.
5. approx placement of sending unit, I'll need to lengthen the arm for correct reading tho.

Still need to finish up the top and make the oil resivoir in the right side where it comes around the seat. At my pace the tank might be done by winter[smilie=ninja.gif]. I need some TutTech lessons on getting after it[smilie=mhihi.gif].

Wayne

Odyknuck
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Wayne what is the status on your project. I am back in the Pilot streach project mode again LOL.

Akpilot
10-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Odyknuck,
Still on this friggin gas tank, it's killing me. I'm having heartburn over the oil tank, so far it has had 3 homes in the small tank and hopefully it's on it's last one.

1st home was on the right side, did not like it there as the weight bias of the Pilot is on the right side. So I figured as the gas tank is full it offsets the oil tank, but as it empties then the weight bias gets progressively worse.

2nd Home was to put it on top of the tank on the left side. Now all the weight of the tank and oil is always on the left side regardless of fuel level. - I know I sweat the small stuff too much - But now, no go. I did not forsee the problem of oil supply to the motor[smilie=loser.gif]. In extream situations - like running a sand bowl - I could potentially run the engine out of oil. As the left side is down the oil pickup on the right side goes higher, if it gets higher than the tank - out of oil.

So now it's back on the left side - hence making things the third time is the charm for me [smilie=gun_bash.gi:

1st Pic is tank with filler neck, oil tank sits off of gastank 1/4"
2nd Pic is the oil tank with crossover tube to left side then running down to engine pick-up.
3rd Pic Both tanks in Pilot.
4th Pic close up of oil tank.

No doubt I can bend down the crossover tube to maximize the angle before oil starvation but I would rather caution on the safe side. With the oil tank on the same side as the pick-up it will go up and down together.

Wayne

jumpin jellybean
10-22-2009, 08:35 AM
wow sweet work just keep at it :cool:thanks for this thread gave me some ideas, im collecting to build my own hope to start building in two years [smilie=alright.gif]but have to see if I get any bail out money:eek:lol keep up the good work

Odyknuck
10-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Looking awsome. I see you went back to using the stock Pilot seat to gain the head room.

Odyknuck
11-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Wayne, did you relocate the shifter to not have too make longer cables?

Akpilot
11-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Odyknuck,

I did reposition the shifter on both Pilots. On this Nytro Pilot I just made a bracket out of tube that connects to the crossbracing. As you can see I also "X" braced the frame between the stock bracing. I thought it needed it especially because the stock has bends in the bracing.

Do I think it is worth it to stretch the frame... you bet. Time wise it was the faster part of this build. As you can see I'm not fast building buggies, I find other builds inbetween this one. Like now I'm building another sled as we speak. Anyway I would say I could stretch another frame in less than 30 hours pretty easy. The hardest part is keeping the forward rear A-arm in the same position. I have been thinking about how hard it is to get rims for the pilot, how much the rear cariers are and scarce they have become It would be nice to make a true 5 link with new carrier and useable hub. It would only require a upper trailing link, how is the geometry, not sure but it would be nice to have lots of rim options.

The first pic shows on the far side the pipe with mounting flanges, basically nut welded to a washer countersunk into the pipe.
Second pic is of the shifter. It really is in a nice ergonomic position.

Wayne

Odyknuck
11-12-2009, 09:09 AM
With the top "A" arm in the stock location the frame is wider than stock. Will the shock clear the top frame rail. Or are you extending the "A" arm? Even with my current long travel supension I don't think there will be enough clearence.

Akpilot
11-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Odyknuck,

I don't forsee any problem with the shock as the top frame rail is where the shock mount is mounted and it will be moving out with it. What I do see as a problem and should be a small problem is still with the front A-arm mount. The A-arm will need a longer leg on the front to clear the frame upright that is next to it. In the first picture it shows the A-arm mounted and it will not move up or down as it will bind on that bar. The A-arm will need to look more like a traditional A-arm (but with the back leg a lot longer still).

I think this is what your talking about. Or are you talking about the shock to A-arm clearance since the leg will be longer?

Second picture shows how much the cross brace needed to be bent, imagine the brace straight and that's how much longer the front leg needs to be. But like in my previous post I will be looking at doing something like Cowboy Ray did with his Pilot and changing it from a modified 4 link to a true 5 link and only using the rear upper A-arm mount and a new upper drag link to mirror the stock drag link.

Hope this helps and not confuses

Wayne

Odyknuck
11-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Do you have a pic of Cowboy Rays setup? Keep in mind the Long travel setup uses a shock that comes up past the top frame rail to a hoop so unless the bottom shock mount is pushed out you will not clear the top rail. On my LT Pilot the shock only clears by an Inch or so. I do understand about the diagonal tube being in the way. Are you planning on using a different (non Pilot)wheel hub assembly to Incorporate the 5 link setup.

Odyknuck
11-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok I did a search and found Cowboy rays pilot. It would appear by going with the 5 link he has there is no need to be concerned with the front top "A" arm mount as it is not used.

Akpilot
11-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Odyknuck,

I did not keep pictures of his set up, by chance could you post the reference you found his pilot. I've seen him on here before, I think Odypilots had him coment on one of his treads. Anyway I'd like to pick his brain on what he did on the rear end. And yes I would like to not use the stock rear knuckles and use a wheel bearing carrier kindof like Protodies wheel bearings, just need to work out the geometry, then I could use a 4 on 110 just like the front. I know the stock knuckles are hard to find!

Wayne

Odyknuck
11-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Wayne, He is using the stock knuckle on his set up with the 5 link. I will be using the stock knucle on mine. Dave S. and I have modified ours to add a third bearing to make them less prone to damage that is typical during a bearing failure. Here is the thread link to Cowboy rays suspension: http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/pilot-odyssey-forum/11268-lets-discuss-independent-rear-suspensions.html
BTW I do have enough room for the shock to clear the upper frame rail with the long travel setup.

Akpilot
03-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Boy how time flies when your not working on the project...it seems this winter flew by, been working on everyone's sleds as they break them, picked up a Victory Jackpot at a salvage auction and rebuilt it, but I have managed to work here and there on the buggy.

First pic. is of the Jackpot, still waiting on a few parts but we're still about a month away from riding on the frozen tundra of Alaska. I've had a few bikes but never a cruiser, with being a sled head at least I kept it in the family it is after all a Polaris.[smilie=jumping.gif]

The secong pic. is of the new motor position. I decited to go with a different secondary clutch that allowed me to slide the motor over for a better weight distribution. I like the way Yamaha has adjustable mounts on their sleds so I copied their system. Now I have about 1/2" movement from side to side to square up the motor for optimum belt alignment with the through bolts.

The last picture is of the billet plate of the RPM transmission. I took it apart to weld on the "ear" for the rear brake caliper. I also swaped transmission with the FL800 to lower the 800's to 10 to 1 and keep the Nytro pilot at 9 to 1. Since the new transmission does not come with the small input brake (10" shaft the longest Dan makes) I had the keyway cut further down and will be putting a brake next to the clutch, well that is the plan.

Wayne

Odyknuck
04-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Glad to see ya back on your project. For awhile there I thought I was going to get mine done first. The Race is on lol.

Akpilot
04-01-2010, 08:22 PM
The Race is on lol.

Haha... I was just looking at page one and it's been since Jan 2008 man times flies. So the Fl800 took only 3 years so yea the RACE IS ON.

Or untill another project side tracks me[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

Wayne

LEE1969GB
04-02-2010, 12:57 PM
About time wayne, was never going to be a 2 minute job though:D
Wayne if you get chance could you tell me the height length and width of the radiator on your 800 pilot and a pic if possible.
Thanks Lee.

Akpilot
04-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Hey Lee, long time no hear - hope everything is good for ya...

Ok, the Fl800 radiator is a Scirocco radiator from Summit Racing. Here is the ad from Summit:Proliance Ready Rad 433648 - Proliance Ready-Rad Radiators - Overview - SummitRacing.com (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PLI-433648/)

I really like the radiator but it is too wide, thats why I enclosed it with aluminum to help protect it. I'll have to get the total overall measruements from the Pilot when I get home

My Nytro pilot radiator is from Jegs I think and the measurements are: 21.5" Long X 12.5" High X 3" Deep. I went with this one as it was overall narrower than the Summit radiator, it is also all Aluminum and no plastic. Here is the ad: JEGS 51960 JEGS Racing Radiators (http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/51960/10002/-1)

I have been tempeted to try the Civic radiators that most are running and might try it this summer as the FL800 radiator is much too wide.

Hope this helps,
Wayne

bazz
04-04-2010, 08:00 AM
C'mon wayne,I was but a mere http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/crib.gif when you started,and now I'm on the wrong side of 50!Need to get a move on Mate!http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/ex-1.gif
How's this for incentive then,if'n ya don't hurry up...I'll have to do a few more long distance Downunder http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/drunkdial.gif:p
I'm feeling very http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/spoiled_brat.jpg

Akpilot
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Bazz,

Hows my Diablo doing? [smilie=ext_secret.: I don't think your feeding him properly. Personally I think he's all but shriviled up and died as I have not heard from you lately...

Hows the racing been? I do still have the 500ss motor from Tyler's sled in my garage, if I can't get you a 800 maybe you'll want the 500ss. I'm pretty sure it only needs a new top end.

Wayne

bazz
04-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Your lil Diablo must have called up reinforcements!
I now have 2 of the !@#$% workin' me over day n night!http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/avt80-2.gif http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/wg-2.gif :D
Not much goin' on here race wise Wayne,Northam Speedway still no events,but the club is in process of doing some country tracks.
All this takes time.
I have been on the lookout for another Drak with 4 stroke CVT,but nothing out there so far.I did miss out on a 07 Drak with EFI 4 st 4VPC AC tho,it sold last year.[smilie=alright.gif]
Looks like Knuck is gonna beat ya Mate! http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/whip.gif http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/butt1.gif

Hoodlum
04-06-2010, 06:44 AM
I now have 2 of the !@#$% workin' me over day n night!http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/avt80-2.gif http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/wg-2.gif :D
Not much goin' on here race wise Wayne,Northam Speedway still no events,but the club is in process of doing some country tracks.
All this takes time.
I have been on the lookout for another Drak with 4 stroke CVT,but nothing out there so far.I did miss out on a 07 Drak with EFI 4 st 4VPC AC tho,it sold last year.[smilie=alright.gif]
Looks like Knuck is gonna beat ya Mate! http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/whip.gif http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/butt1.gif

Throttle has a 4 stroke Drak for sale....I bet he will make you a great deal on it.....

Odyknuck
04-06-2010, 07:38 AM
"Looks like Knuck is gonna beat ya Mate!" Ha! Ha! Now theres some incentive for ya Wayne

I now have 2 of the !@#$% workin' me over day n night![IMG]http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/avt80-2.gif http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/wg-2.gif :D
All this takes time.

bazz
04-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Hoodlum,yes I know of throttle's Drak,but am after a Sled 4st,need the bigger Balls.Thanks anyway Mate!

Steve we need to http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/pponie.gif Wayne more regular.:p

Akpilot
07-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Steve we need to http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/pponie.gif Wayne more regular.:p[/QUOTE]
Ok, Ok, Baz, You and my son, Really, no really I haven't forgot my project!![smilie=whistle.gif]

Well taking a page from Odyknuck's air cleaner and knowing before hand his needs some more tweeking I decited that one air cleaner would not do it for me with the cramped engine compartment. Soooo, I'm going to place two air cleaners in the unused triangle area of the long travel shock towers. The inital restriction of each 7" diameter aircleaner is 185 in 8" of water. I figure too much air is never a bad thing right? With this being a 4 stroke I probably don't need that much air but if it works out then I'll try it out on the FL800. Anyway here is some pics.

Pic #1 8" Air cleaner was just too big. Also thought the 90 degree would not work as well as a straight outlet that went through the roll cage angle bracing.

Pic #2 The back of the 7.19" Air cleaner, still a bit too big but think it will be alright. Did not want to try the 6.79 inch not much smaller than the 7" but 40 CFM's less.

Pic #3 90* comming though the roll cage and angled down towards the future airbox that will sit atop the fuel tank. It worked out great with the throttle bodies at the front of the engine. With the Fl800 the carbs are in the traditional position which will make the Air Cleaner backwards and a PITA to change/check the filter, it may not work on that Pilot - quite a few differences between the two.

Pic #4 & #5 New wider upper A-arms that make taking off the clutch a breeze, still need to brace once the shocks come in. Made a new one for the FL800 and it works great!

Wayne

bazz
07-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Great work there Diablo,always lovin' your work and mods!
Now hurry up and finish will ya?:D
Can ya resend me your ph #'s Mate,asa I have lost em due to recent PC crash poofkabooma!

Odyknuck
07-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Glad to see ya back on the project there Wayne. Keep motivated!

Akpilot
07-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Keep motivated? I've started something that right now I wish I hadn't......Hey K-fab didn't you do this some time ago? do you hire out? I promise the snow is gone...well in if you don't count the mountains.

Yea it looks unassuming untill you cut it apart. And right now I'm thinking 'bout the simplicity of that non EFI Rage motor.[smilie=gun_bash.gi:

odypilots
07-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Man, That IS a LOT of wire! I don't envy you. [smilie=tr_sorry.gi:

LEE1969GB
07-08-2010, 12:42 AM
There are only a few wires there:rolleyes: You should see the loom on my MR2 engined buggy, air con, abs, electric power steering, stereo, etc etc most of them are fastened up above the passengers legs doing nothing, I am amazed it runs:)
I know you will sort it out Wayne, keep at it:D

bazz
07-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Lee for god's sake,your not THAT far(compared to me)from him,jump on that plane,show him how to DOWN a few warm Pints,then get stuck into finishing this Wild Thing!:p I wanna see vids Man.
I think he enjoys feedin' us just a few tid bits now and then!:rolleyes:
Lee I'll even shout the 1st round! [smilie=ext_beer2.g: Now let's get er done!!!!

LEE1969GB
07-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Baz, Yes me and wayne are almost neighbours:eek:
I am also looking forward to seeing this pilot go, maybe we should meet up at waynes place for the first run:D
Come on wayne get your finger out:D

Akpilot
07-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Ok guys I'm waiting for the call to come pick you up - not need for a cab... Bazz and you can inspect the stator as it passes through[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

Yea I'm tryingto get my finger out and get this thing going hopefully this year. I'm all but done with the wiring, well untill I know it runs and then I'll wrap it all up. I kept everything that the stock sled had even hand and thumb warmers. It went pretty well concidering it was one job I was not looking forward too. Now on to the Radiator/Plumbing.

Wayne

bazz
07-27-2010, 12:04 AM
Crikey!!!Can you order a wheelchair as well young man,it's been a while?http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/ex-1.gif
Is that all youv'e done!!! Played around with coloured spagetti! I'll get Marie to email her bolognaise sauce recipe handed down from my Mother.:rolleyes:
How much longer????My greys are progressing quicker!:p

Lee I guess you have that saying "Pull ya finger out,and let ya thumb have a go?"? Yes?...Well THAT explains why he's keeping the Thumb Warmers as well then? http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/butt1.gif:p

LEE1969GB
07-27-2010, 11:23 AM
[smilie=ecstatic.gi: Never heard the let your thumb have a go bit until now Baz, He does seem to be taking his time with this bit of an engine swap job:D

Akpilot
07-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Bazz, maybe if you got Marie to send me some of those famous meatballs for my spagetti I might just get-er-done[smilie=dunno.gif]

Just made the rear long travel hoops and had to bend the rear to allow access to the two air cleaners, don't particular like it but nothing I can do about it. Been thinking that I might need to reinforce towers as it might not be strong enough while bottoming out. But in the long run the I'm sure I'll like the aircleaners much better than nasty oil Unifilters option.

Also just finished plumbing the antifreeze and almost done with the Oil resivoir/gas tank, should be finished up this evening. Then need to mount fan and expanded aluminum for radiator protection. And Baz maybe next week I just might not have to make engine noises anymore but finally let this Yami speak[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

Wayne

bazz
08-03-2010, 08:23 PM
UnBuggyLievable work there Wayne.Well done...SO far![smilie=gun_chair.g:
So there could be a Ak movie coming to our screens soon?

I'll get Marie to set aside some BazMeatBalls :eek: for ya.Will put them in one of those keep the Pizza hot type bags,then send emASAP priority on Elvis's ex food snack plane.http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/plane.gif Thangya thangya.

Akpilot
08-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Well I decited to work on the airbox just in case I needed to weld on the gas tank before I put gas in it. - sorry Bazz no start up yet!
Well I was thinking the box would be much larger, or better yet, I was in denial[smilie=whistle.gif] but with making it, it seems small. I'm worried about the immediate air volume being enough inside it. I'm sure the two aircleaners can supply the motor with what it wants but since the aircleaners opening is quite a ways down the line from the actual airbox I'm a bit concerned. Well as always I'll just make it and if it does not launch like I want, then that's what the bandsaw and welder are for.
I've come up with 376 sq inches of volume inside the box. The box is odd shaped because of the intake runners but basically it is: 16" X 6.5" X 9" high with a bend in the middle for runner clearance. To get volume I took 16" x 1.5" x 9" which equals 216 sq inches, for the front part of the box. The triangle area off the back is 16" x 4" x 5" divided by 2 for 160 sq inches. I think that's right, man I should have paid more attention in geometry[smilie=rofl.gif].

Pics:
1st. The back plate with intake runners installed.
2nd. Back plate mounted on motor above the gas tank.
3rd. Bad pic of the side of the airbox - intake runners taking up a lot of room in there.
4th. Airbox on tank.
5th. Airbox behind seat.

Next is the hard part of forming the airbox to the 3" intake tubes. Also sitting here I better see where my shoulder harness comes in at, right now the box is about .5" lower than the cross tube where they attach, maybe the box needs to be smaller yet[smilie=gun_bash.gi:

Wayne

bazz
08-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Beautiful work Wayne,as usual!Sick of hearin' that yet?:D
Looks to be stackin' on the weight with all the metalwork happening now...Hope your goin' on a diet to compensate Mate?:p

bazz
08-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Lee,thought I'd get in here first Mate,as I rang Wayne today from Downunder,intention to give him a Dr Phil style hurry up on the Pilot/nytro project......MAN can HE talk! I think he has a slight problem Lee http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/drunkdial.gif all I could do was listen...listen...and listen some more!
Now that was some listening...2 friggen hours later!!! Imagine HOW much progress he could have achieved on the mighty Pilot if he only coulda put that drink down?:D
He's on the homeward stretch now Lee...whatever ya do...don't ring him after dark![smilie=alright.gif]

odypilots
08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Lee,thought I'd get in here first Mate,as I rang Wayne today from Downunder,intention to give him a Dr Phil style hurry up on the Pilot/nytro project......MAN can HE talk! I think he has a slight problem Lee http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/drunkdial.gif all I could do was listen...listen...and listen some more!
Now that was some listening...2 friggen hours later!!! Imagine HOW much progress he could have achieved on the mighty Pilot if he only coulda put that drink down?:D
He's on the homeward stretch now Lee...whatever ya do...don't ring him after dark![smilie=alright.gif]

Hehehe! Bazz, you are one of a kind!!

LEE1969GB
08-15-2010, 12:06 PM
I can imagine how it was Baz, You bloody ozzies never shut up when you get excited LOL:D Did you put him on the right track?

Akpilot
08-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I can imagine how it was Baz, You bloody ozzies never shut up when you get excited LOL:D Did you put him on the right track?

Lee,

Seems to me you have had marathon conversations with Bazz before[smilie=ecstatic.gi: No doubt about it we spent about 2 hours but only got about 1 hour of information - those Ozzies are hard to understand when they get talking fast.[smilie=dunno.gif]
But I have to admitt Bazz is a bit easier than you Lee. Maybe you and Bazz can talk perfectly to each other. It still is pretty amazing we could not get further from each other on this planet, but yet can still understand each other....Altho I seem to be the only one without a accent.........

Wayne

LEE1969GB
08-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Lee,

Seems to me you have had marathon conversations with Bazz before[smilie=ecstatic.gi: No doubt about it we spent about 2 hours but only got about 1 hour of information - those Ozzies are hard to understand when they get talking fast.[smilie=dunno.gif]
But I have to admitt Bazz is a bit easier than you Lee. Maybe you and Bazz can talk perfectly to each other. It still is pretty amazing we could not get further from each other on this planet, but yet can still understand each other....Altho I seem to be the only one without a accent.........

Wayne
[smilie=ecstatic.gi:Actully I have never spoke to him but I have seen his posts:eek::D To be honest the English can not understand me, I do not speak very clear:o

Odyknuck
08-17-2010, 08:02 AM

Ha! Ha! Now thats Funny! I have the same experience when I talk with Wayne. It's all good ! Wayne was the driving force for me to cut up a perfectly good Pilot frame for my project. Much appreciated, I think!

bazz
08-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Steve Wayne is a masochistic Devil! This is why I call him Diablo.
He is responsible for many buggiers either cutting up their Pilots or at least thinkin' about it.I feel I am next,as I have been lookin'/dreamin' to buy a Pilot with the thoughts of impregnating it with an 800 as well!:eek:
Only chance we all have,Steve,Lee and me,is to become like the charmed ones http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/oldie00038.gifhttp://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/mensendrink.gifhttp://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/ockerani.gifand together we may be able to vanquish this Demon? Make it too hot even for him?http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/hothot-1.gif

Odyknuck
08-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Bazz you just have way to much time on your hands lol!

Akpilot
09-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Ok, this Question is for all you front suspension gurus - especially the ones who have first hand knowledge of the ATVr Racing LT front.

I recently purchased a front suspension from a guy and it was a take-off so no weld on brackets were supplied. I figured no need I have my FL800 to plagiarize from for the brackets. I decited to go with the same front and rear suspension to simplify working on the two buggies - one set of shock rebuild kits, shafts ect. Well I have never liked the way you have to cut the foot tube so I have adapted the steering ideler arms to accomidate the foot tub. I don't know if this will affect the Ackerman that ATV-R put in the system but it seems to work fine. The only differnce is the mounting bolt for the ideler arm is pushed out about .5" from where it is on my FL800.

Pics:
In pic #1 you can see where I needed to clearance the top Idler arm bracket for clearance for foot tub. Also the Bent Idler arm tube to move it out from tub area.

Pic#2 Shot of bent tube.
Pic#3 Inside view
Pic#4 Shot of unmolested foot tub with idler in place - no contact from lock to lock. Will need to rethink the steering stop that ATV-R buils into this system as it will be in the foot tub area. Maybe something on the bottom of the Idler arm hanging down to a adjustable bolt stop.
Pic#5 Front view.

The only thing I can see is this changes is when the ackerman is introduced into the system (slight bumpsteer in both systems so I figure that has not changed). The four pivot bolts are not in perfect alignment with steering straight, don't know if this is the case on a regular LT Pilot or not (did not want to take off the Fl800 foot tub just to see, but I will if no one has first hand knowledge off the top of their head). Not sure but have to see where the inside line hits in relation to my rear axle... I think it is susposed to hit in the center like under my tansmission? (Currently rear suspension is still under construction).

Right now everything is tacked so easily changed, but I really like the foot tub uncut.

Thanks,
Wayne

Akpilot
09-25-2010, 06:13 PM
With it being a nice day I decited to take out the Nytro Pilot and take a few pictures. With Bullnerd asking about the air cleaners I took several as I suspect his will be somewhat like how I did mine with throttle bodies in front. I decited to run two cleaners after hearing Odyknuck not having enough air volume.

Wayne

Akpilot
04-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Work on the Pilot has been slow, not much to post been making additional motor mounts ect. In December I tore my Achilles tendon so it's really slowed down, but now I have made some progress to report.

Pic
#1 New engine push/pull support, it is able to push or pull the front of the motor to help with belt alignment if need be.
#2 Is mount in place. You can see the squared bolt that the carriage motor mount bolt goes into.
#3 Bolt in place with spreader inbetween mounts

Akpilot

Akpilot
04-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Because the Pilot was so rusty I cut out the original honda gussets that allowed water to get between the metal and so I fabed up some gussets that seal out water. Also I thought that a single plate gusset would just cave in the tube.

Pics
#1 Is how I made the gussets, from 1.5" X.058 tube cut then worked into shape.
#2 X braced then set gussets over and under X brace.
#3 Braced and gusseted front end.
#4 Gusseted the rear where I could.

Now I'm doing the final welding and have decited to wait on powder coat, I'm thinking of just rattle can paint for this summer and then complete teardown and sandblast and powder coat. This way I can make changes with out heartburn.

Akpilot

Odyknuck
04-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Looks good. I see you decided to put the "X" brace in the front. Good move. Without triangulation there the lower section can tweak real easy from a corner hit. BTW you can buy those tube style corner gusets from aa-mfg pretty cheap.
Saddle Gusset (http://www.aa-mfg.com/pdshop/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1048)

Akpilot
05-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Odyknuck,

Yea I'm usually a day late.....Oh well some of the angles were not 90 degrees so I would have had to modify them. BTW hows your project? Race still on?

Paint
#1. All sanded up and ready for rattle can paint. Decited to run it for this summer, make changes and then next winter tear-down for powder coat
#2 Ruddy-brown primer
#3 Banner red
#4 White top - I'll have twin pilot color schemes

Akpilot

Odyknuck
05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Utoh! I better get moven! Looks good. Not a bad ideal to run the paint first season. Allows the inevitable frame mods to be made before PCing it. I am already feeling that pain. I needed to add brackets to support the rear of the airbox. So instead of welding them on they are bolted on with 1/4 - 20s tapped into the frame tube. Not my first choise. I am waiting on a rear inner hub respline so i can get it on the ground. I have some wiring to do and workout plastics etc. Need to make a roof and a few other things yet.

Akpilot
05-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Odyknuck,

Respline rear hub:confused: And yea you better get on the stick, Bazz has me up late at night trying to finish between dodging phone calls.....j/k Bazz

I've started the "fun" phase of assembly

Pic 1 Trans first in, ran brake lines
Pic 2 Setting up steering and bleed brakes
Pic 3 Adj bump stops and putting on skid plate
Pic 4 Completed front end, need to mount rezzies but after plastics.

Akpilot

bazz
05-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Quote:

Bazz has me up late at night trying to finish between dodging phone calls.....j/k Bazz

Don't listen to him Steve,he's http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/out.gif
It's actually HE who keeps ringing http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/drunkdial.gif ME!...He has a problem ya know Steve!http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/alcoholic.gif

He has even hinted for me to ring you constantly,so as to rob you of Pilot time,so then he gets in front of you for quicker completion.He's gettin' desperate Mate! http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/chimpanzee.gif

Akpilot
05-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Assembly,
Too bad the design/fabrication stage does not go this fast or smoothly[smilie=dunno.gif]
Pics:
#1 Final resting spot for the 1049cc Nytro motor
#2 Trans, gas/oil tank set in.
#3 Roll cage
#4 All plumbed up and test fired.
#5 Clutching set up

Akpilot

Akpilot
05-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Assembly completed....well is it ever completly assembled?

Pics
#1 The custom axles - 930 inboard to Honda pilot outers
#2 Setting up the midified ATV-R rear suspension.
#3-5 Completed Nytro Pilot.

Odyknuck where are YOU at??? If I remember right you through the gauntlet a while back.[smilie=poked.gif]

Akpilot

Akpilot
05-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Well yesterday I went for a quick shakedown run... It was good but I'm running into a bit of a problem with the oil resivior. The stock sled has a main oil pump and two scavenge pumps. Well the scavenge pumps create a vacume in the engine, which is normal, and blowing oil and air into the resivior. The resivior is then vented to the airbox. Long story short I'm injesting oil into the motor from the airbox. I did use the stock oil resivoir top from the Rage snowmobile but had to cut the baffeling to get into my custom gas/oil tank. I figured the stock inlet tube and breather tube were close together and thats where I'm picking up oil with the air and ultimately vented into the airbox. I re-routed the inlet line down and away from the airbox breather and it worked for idle but not while running. Yamaha has also re-routed the inlet line on newer models and that's where I got the idea, but the bumps and jumps are sloshing the oil around and still blowing it into the airbox. The older stock sled has a low pressure valve between the oil resivoir and airbox and I've incorporated it into my system to help solve this. The only difference is the configuration of the oil tank and baffeling.

Pics
#1 Stock top of the sled resivoir welded to my tank. On the left is the low pressure valve that goes to the airbox
#2 I've connected the old inlet line to the breather tube and then to the low pressure valve hoping that two lines would slow down the volocity of the air that is pick-up the oil as it is vented to the airbox. The braded line below the valve is the new oil inlet line.
#3 My solution: The small black plug is where the turbo guys return the oil from the turbo back into the motor. My idea and a Yamaha turbo guy have the idea of venting the resivior back to the motor through this hole. The scavenge pumps are creating this problem, vacume in the motor and possitive pressure in the oil resivior, so this may cancel them out. I then would put another vent tube from the rocker arm cover at the top of the motor into the airbox inconjunction withe the stock 1/4" line that is already there to help vent the motor if it needes it.

Any Thoughts on my soulution? Potential problems

Akpilot

Akpilot
05-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Well rebaffeled the oil tank and it definately helped but not solved the problem, I would guess we ran through a gallon of gas and in that time puked out only about 1/4 cup of oil. I ran a clear tube in a loop to watch the oil and catch any from entering into the airbox. My next solution is to run the clear tube down to the timing cover and use the timing site plug to run the oil resivior breather tube to. Just before the timing site plug I'll "Y" into the hose and then run uphill back to the airbox. This will still vent any pressure variance between the motor and oil resivior to the airbox.

We only ran about one gallon of gas because the engine threw a code #42 Speed sensor - have not made a pick-up for that yet, so it just moved up the list of things to do. Also I'm over-reving according to the Apex gauge. According to the gauge I'm hitting 10,000 RPM. My Yami guru says that's not possible as the motor has a internal govener at 9300 RPM. So I definately need more weight in the primary and will need to get a stock Nytro gauge to check the how accurate the Apex gauge is on this motor.

Well here is 2 short vids, right now it definately is not up to par with the Fl800, but I still have hope.

YouTube - ‪Nytro Pilot‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjnaIWxmdlg&feature=related)

YouTube - ‪Yamahonda Pilot‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpNwFAk6MmI&feature=related)

Akpilot

Deranged
05-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Holy crap! Sweet videos! I gott re read this thread for sure! That looks pretty impressive pulling the front wheels up like that...nice:D

Justin

Odyknuck
05-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Assembly completed....well is it ever completly assembled?

Pics
#1 The custom axles - 930 inboard to Honda pilot outers
#2 Setting up the midified ATV-R rear suspension.
#3-5 Completed Nytro Pilot.

Odyknuck where are YOU at??? If I remember right you through the gauntlet a while back.[smilie=poked.gif]

Akpilot

Well my friend it would appear that you have Won the Race. Congrats! I am close however not close enough. I should have waited on buying the Cammander 1000X untill after I finished the Pilot project. I bought it as a leave alone stock machine. I really gotta quit fooling myself lol.

plkracer
05-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Have you considered having a small catch can in the middle of the hose to the airbox? On the bottom, it would have a small return line to the oil reservoir.

LEE1969GB
06-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Still got the pilot engine out of it here wayne if that high tech 4 banger is giving you problems:D

No doubt it will be great once you have sorted out your oil problems, Very nice job:)

bazz
06-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Hey leave im alone Lee,ya big pomy bully!http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/j.gif
Wayne is my Mate! He's currently dismantling my 01 Summit 800,ready for posting all the go faster bits to me!http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/hug.gifhttp://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/buggybaz/mhihi.gif

LEE1969GB
06-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Wayne, what ever that convict is paying you for them bits I will double it[smilie=icon_razz2.::D

In fact I do want another 03 rotax engine clutches etc.

Akpilot
08-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Update:

Finally got the oil tank figured out, I ran the top breather down towards the case and put a "Y" in the hose. Ran the lower end of the Y to the case and the upper to the airbox, now the oil that does escape the oil resivior goes down and re-enters the engine case where the timing sight plug is, so far no oil is able to make it back up hill to the airbox.

Here is some video and finally got a gopro for some ride along video.

Nytro Buggy Compilation - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47K-3zi0W4U)

Nytro Pilot Camera & Gopro - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUkpDSWtRl4)

Nytro 1st take with Gopro.wmv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbUvv5nwypE)

Akpilot

odypilots
08-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Looks GREAT, Ak! Now you have a pair.

Bullnerd
08-11-2011, 07:41 AM
DAM!that thing is movin some earth!

Congrats AK,nice job!

Akpilot
08-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Looks GREAT, Ak! Now you have a pair.

Ody, Yea with a 15 year old you need two of everything or else I find you end up watching him[smilie=alright.gif] Now just 4 more and I can host my own neighborhood races like Protodie[smilie=rofl.gif] But at my current rate that's 12 years away.

Thanks Bull, I'm going to try the tires from my Fl503 to see how it will handle sliding around, currently it hooks up too well to get too sideways.

Akpilot

Odyknuck
08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Awsome Wheelie Machine Wayne!

vidio1
08-11-2011, 04:02 PM
You should get a ton of mileage out of those front tires....they don't seem to be on the ground much.:D

bazz
08-12-2011, 06:35 AM
This is what I posted on the youtube comments.

Crickey Wayne,2 words-Awesome,Awesomer!...make it 3-JEALOUSY you !@#$%!

You are now finally enjoying (albeit at my exspense!) the fruits of your labour!

You have really raised the Bar........while I just drink at it! :p

What a funtastic way to create the Father to son bond....Wayne Bond! Shaken and always blurred.

Good on ya Mate....Baz.