PDA

View Full Version : Dash question's

whiplash
12-26-2007, 08:31 AM
Just bought a 2000 ZX9 engine and wiring harness etc, how difficult would it be to retrofit a racing style tach like an autometer or something like that to it so I don't need the stock dash or will it only work with the stocker?

-Thanks!

SeufererMotorsports
12-26-2007, 09:08 AM
I dont think it would be to hard to wire one in. They sell them at speed parts and other sprint car places. I would use the stock one though because it has more than just a tach on it. You have temp and other sensors that work as well. They sell a fix so the speedo will even work.

buggito
12-26-2007, 09:19 AM
What can of speedo you have, I guess you have an electronic, if it's a case, you can pick up the signal from the speedo and "inject" it to the new one, just need to know what come out, the best way is to hook us a scope, most of the time is mili volt, use shield wire and power the "new one".
You can just go a buy a electronic tachometer and hook it up on one "plug wire" usually they use a hall sensor, no need to cut anything.

I hope it help.

amergin
12-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Was the 2000 ZX9 EFI? If so the stock gauge cluster will provide you with the FI error codes once placed into service mode. As far as replacing it, just use a wiring diagram to isolate to two wires coming from the speed sensor, tach and temp. The speed sensor for GSXRs are located at the coutner sprocket. My ZX6 was located at the front wheel and was the old spinning type. RPM is usually easy to trace out, same with your head temp sensor wires.

One nice feature about not using the stock gauge cluster is the amount of wiring that can be removed from the harness.

whiplash
12-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah guys I am trying to mekt it look stock in my *Polaris RZR and the dash would be a dead givaway.....well so will the sound [smilie=mhihi.gif] but the engine is carbureted on the 2000's and wiring should be very simple, I do like the idea if the speedo still working though, anyone know if the 2000 ZX9 had one on the motor or is it on the wheel? Any and all ideas you all have are welcomed, this is a big project for me to make it nice and not be hacked so I need all the help I can get as this is a NEW 2008 model RZR and I hope to not f**K it up!!

SeufererMotorsports
12-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I would search around and look for a wiring diagram and an owners manual for the engine. That will tell you everything you need to know and more about the engine. If you need a stock gauge cluster they can usually be had on ebay for 100-150 bucks used. I have to say it'll be interesting to see how it turns out with a RZR with a street bike engine in it. *Have you ever thought about keeping it in stock form and just doing little mod's to it ie... exhaust, and new shocks. You *could rule the rhino class with that thing if you wanted to race.

whiplash
12-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Well it has a long travel from Lone star with custom valved and sprung Fox racing shox AND A FEW GOODIES TO LOOK NICE BUT NOW IT NEEDS REAL POWER! Sorry bumped the caps lock! LOL!

whiplash
01-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Does anybody know if the Speedo on my RZR can be retrofit to the output from the ZX9 engine? I would love to be able to still use the stock RZR dash if I can. Other things like water temp and oil pressure would be cool too. any ideas? The engine will be here in a few days!! WHOOHOO!