PDA

View Full Version : ProtoLite 6.5 kids cars

ProtoDie
12-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Just sharing some pics of our current project.

Small 2 seat kids cars with 6.5 hp engines

Chassis is 1" tubing
swing arm rear suspension
single a arm front suspension

Progress may be alittle slow on these, as we are busy right now.
But the goal is to have 4 of these made by spring. 2 for my kids & 2 for (protolite31) my brother Dan's kids.

Bob's family raceway had a kids race last summer, and he say's he will continue this coming season.
If not, *they will race on our test track at my place,,,,,,and we will grill out and have beers

We are trying to keep the same style as "Dad's" race cars for them.

They are quite excited, and it will be great watching them have some fun too.

minibugger
12-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Way to go. Kids will love it. Looking forward to seeing your rear suspension layout.

TheDoc
12-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Excellent Christmas Pressy. Who's gunna be the COOOOLest Dad's on the block *[smilie=boogie.gif]

You think your going to be able to go slow on those Mmmmmmm.
Dont think so, "when are we going to be there!!" Sound familiar. Just change a couple of words.

Looking forward to seeing this thread continue to the end build. Should get some ideas for my kids.

Enjoy the new year,
Nick.

Jay1823
12-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Aww it's so cute, who's a cute little buggy, yes you are, yes you are........

Are you happy now Hero, i fixed it for ya

K-fab
12-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Aww it's so cute, who's a cute little buggy, yes you are, yes you are........ (insert baby talk voice)Okay, now you're starting to scare me. *[smilie=blink.gif]

hero_saku39
12-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Aww it's so cute, who's a cute little buggy, yes you are, yes you are........ (insert baby talk voice)

Aww it's so cute, who's a cute little buggy, yes you are, yes you are........

there you go........if some mods would do their job and fix things instead of running off at the mouth............. [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Jay1823
12-21-2007, 08:45 PM
[quote="Jay1823\";p=\"55326":a4rhjsn7]Aww it's so cute, who's a cute little buggy, yes you are, yes you are........ (insert baby talk voice)Okay, now you're starting to scare me. *[smilie=blink.gif][/quote:a4rhjsn7]

Aww come on it's funny and you know it.

K-fab
12-21-2007, 08:54 PM
if some mods would do their job and fix things instead of running off at the mouth............. [smilie=biggrin.gif]Yea! *What he said!

I'm an admin, so I know that wasn't pointed at me! *[smilie=boogie.gif] *[smilie=blowkiss.gif]

hero_saku39
12-22-2007, 06:30 AM
[smilie=blush.gif] you won that one fair and square.....[smilie=cry_like_baby.gif]

what kind of drive are you gonna use........centrifugal clutch..cvt? *What are the cockpit dimensions.......ie age/size of the pilots.

looks like one of your big frames smashed together to be about 4 feet shorter. [smilie=biggrin.gif]

K-fab
12-22-2007, 07:22 AM
Sorry about getting off topic there, Jody. * [smilie=ashamed.gif] *

How's the hand???

Cool looking frame - I take it this is what you and Dan were telling us about at lunch that afternoon in MI?

Do you plan on doing the same sort of removable power pod like you have in the Big Proto cars?

Keep the build logged - it will be very interesting to watch these come to life.

I'm looking forward to rubbing nerf bars w/you this year! *(as soon as I make a set for my car... *[smilie=blink.gif] )

ProtoDie
12-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Whoops,,,missed a few days,,,,been real busy.

Ya we were trying to keep the same look only smaller. Was kind a hard to do,,,with being a small two seater, but I think the kids will be happy.

Over all length is 82"
Kock pit is 33 wide by 27 long
over all width is 48"

The motor will be on a swing arm with a straight axle,,, so very easy to remove. *We are trying to not over do the build on these, as they are for the kids.
We get very easily swayed into thinking about IRS and double a arm fronts, Rack & pinion steering,,,,,,,fox airs,,,,,,
but this is a kids car,,,,,so they will get the high performace stuff when they are older.

My hand is totally fine and back to full use,,,,but it is discolored,,,kinda dark pinkish purple where the wound was.

Oh well, all I need is for it to work ,,,,not to look pretty.

The motor will have a small comet clutch on it, to keep it easy for the wee ones. (no baby talk Jay,,,LOL)

Track width will be 47 outside of the tires and 54" wheel base.

Oh ya, I can't wait for racing next year.
I am especially excited cause you & your buddies will be there with the Briggs cars,,,,and hopefully many more will be at the tracks.
Maybe 2008 will be the year stadium / offroad lites racing starts making a come back.
Either way,,,I will be there having some fun.

nutnbolt2002
12-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Proto, what are you going to use for the front shocks? And are you using a mono shock for the rear?

ProtoDie
12-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Just some low end coil over shocks to start, there will be 2 in the rear also.

Protolite 2
02-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Just updating some progress, need to add tabs for body panels & finish welding. Then strip down & get ready for paint.

Bugpac
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
looking good.....

P-Dog
02-07-2008, 10:22 AM
What are you thinking it will weigh when finished? What brakes are you gonna use? I assume single rear disc. Tire size? Are you just using a 1" solid axle or the 1 1/4". Looks really fun. Kids will have a blast.

K-fab
02-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Looks good guys. *The kids are going to have a blast!

Protolite 2
02-08-2008, 04:27 AM
It will weigh around 350lbs, Thats a little more than what we had hoped for. We will look at different ways to lighten it up. The brakes are left over parts from our 1st cars, they are stock GSXR 600 Rear Calipers with a 10" Rotor. The axle is 1" solid. And yes the kids are getting a little anxious. Everyday Are you done yet.

P-Dog
02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
I have been wanting to see how people are mounting bike rotors to solid axles. Do you have any pics of the brake set up? I assume you modified or built a hub?What size are the heims you used on the rear swing arm? Again, great build man.

Protolite 2
02-08-2008, 10:00 AM
We did not use the stock bike rotor. The rotor came from Hyper Racing, The hub is from manufacture supply. They both have a 6 on 5 1/4" bolt pattern & the rotor is 3/16" thick. *Also the front tires are 16" tall & the rears are 18" tall. But the rears could change depending on gearing. The heims are 1/2" They should hold up just fine.

P-Dog
02-08-2008, 11:55 AM
I am really needing a larger rotor. I am using the Paul Martin on my kids cart and i wanted to get a larger disc. It is 7" now. The larger diameter would provide better braking i'm sure. I will link pics from there site, would you show me the one you are using? Thanks!

http://www.hyperracing.com/browse.asp?i ... &catid=520 (http://www.hyperracing.com/browse.asp?id=830&classid=9&catid=520)

Protolite 2
02-11-2008, 04:23 AM
This is the one we are using *http://www.hyperracing.com/product.asp?prodid=046-142

Andy_1972
02-11-2008, 12:35 PM
What kind of steering box is that?

Protolite 2
02-14-2008, 08:37 AM
The Steering Box is a 11" rack from Dans Performance parts. Just got the roll cage back from powder coat yesterday afternoon. Just need to pick up some aluminum sheeting for panels yet.

P-Dog
02-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Very nice. I love the color. How wide is the axle? Do you have any center support for it? Those bearings aren't the greatest even for a kids cart. I ran a 1" axle on mine but used three pillow block bearings instead. Your cart came out really cool and i'm sure you (i mean your kids) are gonna have a great time with it. More pics if you got em.

Protolite 2
02-15-2008, 04:45 AM
Thanks, the axle is 44" overall. We have used pillow block bearings in the past, but we thought we would try this style out. There is no center support at this time. Hopefully get some sheet metal on there this weekend.

nutnbolt2002
02-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Proto, I like your little buggy, but it looks to me that you might have some bump steer, have you checked?

Protolite 2
02-18-2008, 05:17 AM
There is maybe a 1/16" of bump steer, not enough to worry about. Put the aluminum panels on this weekend. Just need to add decals & fine tune. We test drove it saturday but kind of hard to see what it will do on ice.

Gene
02-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Nice work Proto! That is very cool.

I think it would make a nice kit car or set of plans.

K-fab
02-18-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.yellowdogracing.com/images/thumbsup.gif *Great stuff! *I'm looking forward to seeing them in person this summer.

Jabo
03-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Any chance of getting some plans for that kiddo kart? [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Andy_1972
03-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Buy steel, bend, weld, attach wheels and motor, insert kid. That will be $200.00. I accept PayPal.

Jabo
03-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Any updated pictures of the completed kart yet? Looks awesome.

Protolite 2
04-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Finally finished up the Go Kart. It still needs to have some tuning yet. The secondary clutch just seams to shift out to quickly, & i am having trouble finding a stiffer spring for the TAV2 System. If anybody has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Bugpac
04-02-2008, 12:48 PM
is that a comet secondary?

Protolite 2
04-02-2008, 12:51 PM
yes, its the complete bolt on clutch. Comet primary & secondary with a green spring

Bugpac
04-02-2008, 12:55 PM
what color is on it now?

Protolite 2
04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Green in the secondary

Bugpac
04-02-2008, 12:59 PM
3 sets of holes to right, you put it in the tightest hole? only spring i see even available is green, what about drilling another hole and trying to get it tighter?

Protolite 2
04-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes its in the the 3rd hole now, but thats a good idea Ill have to try that.

Bugpac
04-02-2008, 01:12 PM
I think maybe try and space out a 4th hole equal to the others and drill it, Maybe...It looks like there is lots of room left... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Protolite 2
04-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Ill take it apart & put at least 1 more hole, More if there is room.

I just checked I96 Forums & the test & tune for this weekend has been cancled. Ive been looking forward to at least seeing the new track. Oh well i guess we will have to wait till the 12th.

Bugpac
04-02-2008, 01:57 PM
got room to increase the rear sprocket diameter as well. that would solve some of the problem to...

ProtoDie
07-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Just an update.

1st kids car turned out great, and kids are loving it.
The little car steers & handles well.

Dan's 9 year old boy won 3 out of 4 races at Bob's family raceway a few weeks back.

Now we are in process of building 3 more for the rest of our crew.

Hope to have them done for a couple of races at Bob's yet this year.

Or they will have fun at our track learning the racing fundimentals while we deal with barbique & beer,,,,,,,(our other racing fundimentals)

zunooo
07-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Great work! The kids will have a blast!!

bmies
07-07-2008, 07:15 PM
I just found this thread, and it makes me wish I was a kid again.

With Baja SAE, the majority of the car/driver combinations have a similar power to weight ratio as what I imagine you have with these cars. Between 50-70lb/hp. They are a blast to drive in head to head racing on tight courses with tons of cars while still being safe. This is the perfect "market segment" to approach in the moch marketing segment of the Baja SAE competitions.

Anyways, awesome job. I'd love to do the same for any kids I may have, hah.

rowycoracing
07-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Those look nice. Great job Proto.

ProtoDie
07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks , I better get them done quick,,,,,cause these kids are growing like weeds, and they will out grow these quicker than I am ready for.

ProtoDie
06-13-2009, 07:23 AM
Wow,,,,,,almost a year since I updated this thread.

And my last post was get them done quick [smilie=rofl.gif]

My kids have been driving there cars and racing since last fall,,,,then winter in Michigan puts them on a shelf.

But it is time to wrap these up, they want to drive them in a parade on the 4th of July.

I have 2 roll cages out to powder coat right now.
Pics are of the 2 we built for a buddy of mine, all powder coated and waiting for body panels.

Which, we will start on some panels today.

K-fab
06-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Man, those things are cute!

TutTech
06-15-2009, 09:38 AM
It may have taken a year but the good or most important thing is you did not give up on them and you finished them.. Or will finish them. ;)

I see so many people start stuff and never finish it. My own family gets me to build them frames etc all the time an they never finish them. :(

So even though it took a while great job seeing this through and working on them and finishing them. Well finishing them soon. :)

ProtoDie
06-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the encouragment.

I got my kids roll cages back from powder today:)

Not enough time in the day,,,,,cause we want to start putting them back together.

Just a note:
The majority of building these little buggies, I was too rushed to take the time and get my kids fully invloved.
My BAD

I have now been taking the time now to show them where all the tools in the shop go, what sizes are what, what each tool is for. Why do this & why do that.
Hungry little sponges they are, just wanting the info and to help.
They are now assets, and want to run the impact, paint, take care of my tools :D ( that one is the best)
I am an idiot for not doing this sooner.
So if you think of it,,,, slow down to show, and it will get you further ahead.

Tomorrow I am going to show them how to put a couple of things back on the buggies & start re-assembly. They will get as far as they can .

Pictures in the next day or so

ProtoDie
06-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Alright,

2 blue cars are back from graphics, and turned out great.

My 2 cars are all paneled up and out to the graphics shop this weekend.
They will be done Monday afternoon,,,,kids can't wait.

Here are some pics

ProtoDie
06-28-2009, 12:42 PM
more

ProtoDie
06-28-2009, 12:45 PM
and more

ProtoDie
06-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Picked up the kids cars from the graphics shop yesterday:D

Real happy how they turned out,,,,and the kids are excited too.

They are driving them in a parade on the 4th of July, and thats all they can talk about.

After that,,,time to get them dirty and start racing again.

The Dewalt 17 is my 9 year old son's car and the #11 monster is my 11 year old daughters car.

ProtoDie
06-30-2009, 05:42 AM
a few more

c.schulz
07-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Awesome job Proto. When will the plans be avaliable. Id love to build a set of these for my kids. Same ages also!! Already have motors ready and TAV units.

Chris

ProtoDie
07-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks ,not sure on the plans for these, or when.

Too much stuff ahead of working on those.
Hopefully I will release plans for several buggies including these later this year.

mxdubbs
07-05-2009, 11:00 PM
WOW!!! those are cool...

I wish i had all the tools to be able to build stuff that easy!!!

well now that I have my welder i can build my tube/pipe bender...:D

ProtoDie
07-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks

Those are the right tools to start with.

Easy,,,,they all take a ton of time when you start from nothing,,,, Research parts and design,,,,then build.

ProtoDie
07-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Here are a couple of pics of all 6 cars & drivers
ages 7-11

Racing starts next Saturday[smilie=rockout3.gi:

sodman
07-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Unbelieveable work do you work 24/7 on this stuff or do you have a white beard and a shop full of elves LOL.
Man they should be happy kids, do the race on a track or are they used on wood trails? They sure look proud in the picture I know my two would be age 12 and 7.
Nice ,impressive and fantastic work
Later Sodman

ProtoDie
07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks Sodman,
Times are tough in Michigan & I had to lay off all the elves so it has been mostly me.

Yes, they seem to appreciate how much work & $$ goes into these. Once I had them really start helping,,,they really understood the work.

I have a .19 mile track here that they race on, and they get to race at a few other tracks.

Now that there are 6 cars, there is interest in us showing up as a group to some events like car shows and they will set up races & a temp. track for the kids.

Gene
07-06-2009, 10:59 PM
That is so fantastic! Build a fleet of race cars and provide them to family and friends. Attract venues with the unique " I show up with a bunch of race cars, drivers and support and put on a show" concept and they swallow bait like crazy!

They need butts in the seats and your idea will put moms and dads and whining "I WANT ONE" kids in the grandstands.

Get ready. Racing season is advertising season!

GOOD WORK and GREAT THINKING!

ProtoDie
07-07-2009, 05:10 AM
Thanks Gene,
I wish I could afford to build a fleet of full size race buggies. Those are a little more $$

Many tracks would love to have us race, we just do not have enough cars to put on a full show.

I need one really big sponser, to cover a 10 car build:D then we can set up a series :rolleyes:
The "Sham Wow" off road racing series

K-fab
07-07-2009, 06:14 AM
The "Sham Wow" off road racing seriesWith the "Beat-A-Ho" round as the season finale. [smilie=ext_hooray.:

The cars look great, btw!

razorback
09-12-2009, 12:31 AM
I gotta say, WOW!!!!!! I mean how awesome are those things. I have recently started work on a buggy for my kids but kinda hard to build one for a 12 year old and a 6 year old. but after looking over this thread I think I will build a bare bones buggy for the six year old similair to yours, how much did each one cost you if you dont mind? and way to go, they are beyond cool!!!!!

chuckorlando
09-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Awsome work. I'm trying to get my tools together now. I have my first son on the way and I want alot of shop time. Give the boy some good skill sets and something out doors to do.

Again, top notch man

ProtoDie
09-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys,
Just got back from racing. These kids all impress me so much.
They have learned so much on picking their line in the corners,,,how to hit the corners to not scrub off speed,,,cause it bogs down their motors,,,inches apart racing,,,,,cross over moves,,,,,all for great finishes several of them photo finish today.

The cars are all so close that comes down to the driver & hitting your corners right,,,,,,,,,,,makes a Dad proud:D especially when I have a boy & a girl racing.

Cost,,,,I think we have about $1700-1800 in materials for each of the last 4 cars we built. And lots of labor.
We had some pretty good deals,, like powder coat.

The company I have been using did the roll cage & a arms, and a whole box full of other parts for $125 each. Real happy with that deal & the quality.

ProtoDie
11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Updating with some racing pics from this summer.

Here is a link

New Page 1 (http://www.protodie.com/KIDS%20KARTS.htm)

ProtoDie
11-17-2009, 01:17 PM
The link above has more pics, but I decided to upload some of the pics direct

ProtoDie
11-17-2009, 01:20 PM
and more,,,cause pictures are fun

Bullnerd
11-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Very cool!
You created your own class!Nice job.
I like the one with the polished aluminum skin.

gholie1
11-17-2009, 03:56 PM
what are you using for Hub's? what do they weigh?

Bullnerd
11-17-2009, 04:15 PM
BTW,what HP are the engines your using,i read the thread and didnt see it.
Also did you get the TAV working correctly?I plan on using one for my kids cart.Are you happy with the combination?speed/torque?

c.schulz
11-17-2009, 04:21 PM
You have got to give up some plans for these!!!! Im so interested in building one of these. It would mean some competition as Im also in MI.

Chris

c.schulz
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
BTW,what HP are the engines your using,i read the thread and didnt see it.
Also did you get the TAV working correctly?I plan on using one for my kids cart.Are you happy with the combination?speed/torque?

Good luck on the TAV unit as Comet has gone out of business. Not sure who is out there that will pick up the biz. Motors look like they are 6.5hp Honda clones?? Correct?

Chris

Bullnerd
11-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Dang!Forgot about that ,thanks chris.
I wonder what the trophy kart guys are going to use?

ProtoDie
11-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Sorry for the lack of response.
I was not getting email updates from this one for some reason.

I think we weighed them out at around 300lbs

Yes,,,,Honda clone motor 6.5 from Harbor freight.
We pull the govenor out before adding oil:D

Wow,,,I did not know Comet went out of biz

We were burning thru belts, because rpms were getting up to 4800-5000ish
They worked for a while,,,but we exceeded a recommended rpm range I think.

After so many belts, we switched over to a mechanical clutch and chain / sprocket set up.
Lost lots of low end take off which sucks.

But in half a lap they are up to speed and hitting higher top speeds.
Kids are running around 35-40mph

So we have stayed with the mechanical clutch. We are using a few different ones,,,but the racing is tight.

No plans yet,,,,,,,,I have to do the full size single seat, then 2 seat, then kids cars for plans.

If you are in Michigan, I may be able to set you up with a rolling chassis , or roll cage for you to finish.

6 cars good,,,,but the more the better at the track.

AtvNut
11-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Great Job this is one way to help this sport grow for sure.

ProtoDie
11-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks Nut,
Bob just loves them out there at the track, and they can't believe how well all these kids drive,,,and think when they drive.

AtvNut
11-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Maybe someday we can get 10 of us out there at Bob's again... sounds like a plan for next summer if my old back can take it.

c.schulz
11-23-2009, 04:02 PM
As far as clutch's what are you using now?PIC? Is it similar to the TAV unit? Where can see or purchase them?
Thanks for the offer on the chassis. But Id rather build than buy. Just trying to build up my fab skills. I have a new tube bender Im wanting to try out.

Thanks Chris

ProtoDie
11-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Nut,
Yes,,,,it would be great to have 10 again,,,it has been a few years since the track was that full.

I am jealous of the kids having 6 or more.

c.shulz

No problem, build away , it will be a great project to expand your fab skills like you said.

I am using a Noram Cheetah clutch on my 2 cars
North American Clutch Corporation (NORAM) : Cheetah Racing Clutch (http://www.noramclutch.com/RACING/Noram/cheetah.html)

The others are using a drum style clutch.
They all seem real close, and we have lots of photo finishes.

These little cars are so close, that it definitley comes down to driving, and how consistantly they are hitting their marks in the corners.

nutnbolt2002
11-23-2009, 04:37 PM
You should make them a little bigger and use a 13hp honda. It would be a cheap and fast way to start a class for bigger kids.

ProtoDie
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Trust me,,,,we are never going to be done:)

As our kids grow,,,vehicles will grow with them, until they have 600's or so.

We have been discussing bigger ones for a while now.

Same width, a touch longer, and taller with the same suspension, tires, shocks,,,and so forth with a larger engine, only they would be a single seater.

This way we (the Dad's) can race & have fun with the kids on my track.

We need the larger motor to push our additional baggage around the track.

rgvkid
02-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Awesome minis! Are there any plans yet? You said $1200+ on the last 4 cars. Id thats for all 4 total or each one? I want to build one for myself. Is there any video of them in action. Great Job!

ProtoDie
02-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks,
All 3D cad yet, no plans ready for release on these.

There may be a few more tracks for the kids to race at this season.
Maybe Saturday nights under the lights for them.:)

Materials ended up closer to $1800 for each car, with powder coat, graphics,,,etc.

We are switching these over to single seat now , with JR size Kirkey racing seats, and 5 point racing harnesses.

This will get the material cost closer to $2300 each.

Plans would not be ready until later this year.

We are getting close on our full size single seat plans for builders and will have these done before any other plans are started.

Gene
02-03-2010, 08:47 PM
These are great cars for father/child projects.

Back in the day there were midgets and this could be the updated version to all that.

Very cool Jody!

sicksand
02-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Any video of the kids cars ?

rgvkid
02-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Yes, would love to see some video. Hoping from the looks of the pics, it looks like the 6.5 pushes pretty good once in motion.

1yldryd
02-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes, would love to see some video. Hoping from the looks of the pics, it looks like the 6.5 pushes pretty good once in motion.
i believe there are video's of these on protodie's web site.

1yldryd
02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Protodie, as you may know I am waiting on your Protolite 600 plans but you should do the kids kart for sure. Even if you came out with those first that would be ok. I would love to build a couple of those for my nephews....and you could sell parts for them to help speed up the build.....just a thought:rolleyes:

ProtoDie
02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys.

Single seat full size plans 1st.
Working hard core on them, and they will make life easy for the home builder.
I need more of those built for us to race with .
Couple weeks away, and I will be using them for the new single seat build I am starting next week, to find any errors, or missing information.

Lucky kids have enough cars to race,,,and Dads to sponser.:)

ProtoDie
02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Sorry, forgot.
I have tons of kids car video, but need to format & put on line.
Not sure when I will be able to get to that yet.

rgvkid
02-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Can't Wait Can't Wait!!! Im anxious to see the kids Kart vid. While searching the kids kart stuff, Im really liking the prolite setups. I think i would like to go with some prolite plans to build a 2 seater with a 750 gsxr engine i have. I really like the engineering of your designs. I look forward to some 2 seater plans

ProtoDie
06-15-2010, 08:15 AM
kids have to wrench to race

just some pics from racing at our track on Memorial weekend

ProtoDie
06-15-2010, 08:18 AM
few more,,,,and we gave many rides around the track in the 2 seater:D

Stomper
06-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys.

Single seat full size plans 1st.
Working hard core on them, and they will make life easy for the home builder.
I need more of those built for us to race with .
Couple weeks away, and I will be using them for the new single seat build I am starting next week, to find any errors, or missing information.

Lucky kids have enough cars to race,,,and Dads to sponser.:)

When will the single seat plans be out:D

Gene
06-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Great pictures Jody!

Nice maintenance moment too!

ProtoDie
06-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks Gene

a few more years,,,they will be driving the tractor

maybe then I will ride on the back :D

rgvkid
09-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Any video of the kids karts? I want to show my girlfriends daughter to see if she would be interested in trying a new sport.

ProtoDie
09-28-2010, 05:56 AM
sorry, still have not put any video together for the kids cars.

This summer all racing has been on the track on my property.
0.20 mile track,,,,so just under a 1/4 mile.
Bobs Family Raceway closed down

You can't see the whole track when they are racing here, so it is tough to get good video,,,other than them blasting past

Having lots of fun with them though.

We have been developing the next generation size for these kids as they grow.

The new rollcage is a scaled down version of our single seat Protolite, made out of 1" tubing.
This still has single a arms in the front,,about 4" of travel
and a straight axle swing a arm in the rear,,,4-6" travel.
The rear is a 3 point for adjustability, on some.

We keep finding more power out of the 6.5 motors, and the kids are probably hitting 45 mph plus on the track.
They are driving the wheels off these things and we are having some great races.

The new single seat kids buggy is also big enough for adults and a 13hp motor.

Another one should be done this week,,,,,with the 13hp in it for fun.

If we do not see more cars to race with next year on the big tracks,,,,,,,,,,,then we will be building more of the 13hp cars for us adults to get our racing fix.

Of course not as fast,,,but cheaper and we can run cars of this size on our home track.
(and I can store them on my pallet racking for the winter)

ProtoDie
09-28-2010, 06:02 AM
few more

Wheels
09-28-2010, 06:16 AM
i look forward to having kids so i can either buy or build one of these.... fantastic. :D

Snoopy
09-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Dude, have you thought about plans or kits ? My 7 year old is
Freakin out on your pics! :):rolleyes:

AtvNut
09-29-2010, 05:08 AM
This is an excerpt from this post http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=194401

Yoshi,
Thanks for your input,
That part is actually pretty easy though.
Set height in the jig with the lower hoop, then set upper hoop on top, clamp & weld the inside.
Every cross tube or hoop is scribed with a center line also, to which I make sure all the center lines match by laser.
We have been building this 2 hoop design since our 1st snomobile powered buggies, and has been on every buggy,,so I may keep it the same.

Stomper,
plans are on hold indefinitley,,,which is a shame because I have the single seat plans about ready for release.
I will make a final decision by the end of the year hopefully.
Lawyers highly do not recomend......:(
A few short answers why,,,,

Product quality control, and our company name attached.
Liability,,,,without quality control.

Copywrite protection of the plans.
I see other plans copied, traded ,changed, and parts reproduced at production volumes for sale by people other than the original designer.

It could be good for everybody elese,,,but bad for us which is a bummer.

for these concerns, the cheapest alternative we can offer would be a rolling chassis, for the home builder to complete.
Then they can finish in their own time frame & according to their budget.
Parts will all interchange & fit, because they are jig built from the same jig.

ProtoDie
09-29-2010, 05:10 AM
Thanks, they are a blast to watch race

We can set you up roll cage to rolling chassis, to complete , but probably will not release plans

rgvkid
11-18-2010, 01:51 PM
How are the hubs holding up on the kids Kart? Did you make them yourself or is it over the counter parts. I love the minis. Can't wait to see some video with the 13hp.

ProtoDie
11-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Hubs are holding up fine,,,they are purchased go kart hubs

Here are some pics of the next intermediate version we built.

Same width as the original kids Karts but a little longer.

These can fit kids, or adults,,,,so as our kids grow, they will be moving into these.

This one has a 13hp motor and a 18" tires set up for an adult.

I think it scaled out at 400lbs ish

The fun part is, top speed can be limited by sprocket size, and this one is putting down the same lap times as the kids karts, with a 200lb adult in it.
19-21 second laps on a .20 mile dirt(sand) track

So we get to race with the kids for fun(man,,,they are good and keep their nose right in your business)

More of these are getting built this winter

ProtoDie
11-19-2010, 07:06 AM
few more

rgvkid
11-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Those are awesome! Are the seats adjustable? I noticed the track on the bottom.

What shocks and or springs did you go with and are you happy with teh rate?

Can't wait to see some video of these on the track.

nutnbolt2002
11-19-2010, 07:06 PM
That's a nice little machine, how did you set up the swing arm?

TutTech
11-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Dang thats so cool. I love your little guys as much as your bigger cars.. They look a lot alike just mini and just look darn cool.

I like the little details.. motor adjusters etc. Just little stuff makes them even better and most people probably don't even notice.

So is this all of them in that pic? 6? or is there more but only 6 for that pic? Still wow 6 of them is a lot thats pretty darn cool to have them all in one spot and get a pic of all of them. Awesome.
Very cool.

;):)

p.s. nutnbolt2002 if you look im pretty sure at more of the beginning he shows some detail pics of the rear swing arm set up and more stuff. :)

ProtoDie
11-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks,
Yes the track on the bottom is Unistrut.
This is a nice way to make seats adjustable,but yet much more rigid than normal seat sliders.

On this one the front pedals were adjustable to so the car could be quickly changed over from kid to adult for testing

Shocks,,,,,some of the cars are just assorted cheaper go cart 12" shocks, and some have cheaper shocks, with different springs / better springs.

swing arm,,,,, the original cars are ,,,well just a swing arm mounted with 2 heims joints and a straight axle.
1/2 of the cars are expierimenting with a 3 link system that can help the rear end steer on circle tracks, and act like independent.

There are 8 cars total,,,,and we all keep tweeking and changing to find a little more performance

ProtoDie
11-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Tut,
There are 2 cars that are not there for this picture.

These 6 always make it.
2 are my kids, 3 are my brothers, and 1 is one of our buddies who races & builds with us every week.

These kids all get to hang out together twice a week,,,,every week.
So if they are not racing , or testing on our track out back,,,,then they are building weed forts,,,,wooden stick swords, shootin BB guns.

In the next few weeks,,,we are going pick up more welding helmets and start teaching the older ones (9 to,,,almost 13) to weld and drill, grind, saw,,,and let them be even more hands on while building their own race
buggies.

They seem excited about this,,,,I hope the excitement lasts:D

TutTech
11-20-2010, 08:47 AM
That is really awesome that you both do this and are getting the kids involved.. not just driving but now teaching them to work on and possibly help build the next car. Nice. that is what this sport should be all about. Plus the friends the kids are making and responsibilities they are learning. That's awesome.

So 8 of the 6.5 little guys? And now the first of the 13hp guy for kids or even adults to play with.
Thats sweet. Wow you will have your 10 cars no problem that you have talked about way back around page 1 or 2. Very cool. It just takes a little time, money and someone with the will power and knowledge like you have to make it happen.

So the cars are 48 wide to the outside of the tires? Do you just order rear axles or do you make your own? Once again great attention to the small detials and nice little race cars. Very cool. As I said before I love that they look like just little versions of your bigger cars.

:)

rgvkid
11-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks Proto, I have been trying to figure out how to make my girlfriends daughters seat adjust able but still keep the seat low.

rgvkid
12-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey Proto, Hows that 3 link working out on the kids karts. Is that the setup on the last engine and rear axle pic? It looks like theres a single Heim in the center of the front engine carrier/axle, but i don't see any upper links. Are you using the shocks as the upper links alone?

Can't wait to see some video.

ProtoDie
08-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Decided to shoot some in car video last night with the kids racing.

Brother (Dan) ran his 13hp MXT with 5 other 6.5hp MXT buggies on the track while they were racing.
3 boys & 2 girls racing & rubbing wheels,,,,,,ages 9-13

Track is .19 mile long

1st lap is the pace lap / rolling start

MXT_incarA_8-9-11.AVI - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WkaHndOi98&feature=player_profilepage)

ProtoDie
08-10-2011, 05:30 PM
more,,,,this one ends with one car spinning out the other,,,,then another car hits them,,,,,and the camera car rides the berm.

good stuff,,,,,,,,,,everbody got out laughing and safe.

MXT_incarB_8-9-11.AVI - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hXgqmvE0oE&feature=player_profilepage)

MongooseGSXR750
08-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Great stuff, competitive bunch !!

Bullnerd
08-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Finally some real racing on MBN !

Thats awesome!I want to do this for my kids also!

Whoever is driving the green car is going to be a drifting expert!

BTW,any issues with the "blue" engines?

TALON
08-10-2011, 09:39 PM
That is so cool what a way to spend an arvo with family and friends ,bet that picnic table seen some serious bench racing .

ProtoDie
08-11-2011, 05:29 AM
Thanks guys,
Mongoose,
yes, they sure are. We run a points system all year and then trophies at the end of the season. After every race they want to see the points and then calculate where they need to finish next.

Talon,,,, yes the picnic table has had it's share of bench racing and engineering:D

Bull,
The green car is my nephew who just turned 10. If he does not have the car jacked sidways,,,,,then he's not driving

blue motors have been hit & miss,,,some good for a long time,,,some not as good.

Biggest issues we see is with the rod in these. They start off fast in a race ,,but then keep getting slower during the race.
The rod tightens up on the crank.
Yellow motors have proven to be much better and not slow down.

harbor freight does not carry the blue motors anymore, and switched top black ones, called Predator I think.

They look nice, but have not tried them.

I would go yellow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless you have big bucks,,then go red & get a Honda

Bullnerd
08-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Good info thanks,yeah HF calls them Predator now.

RacingDreamz
09-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Proto, I'd like to talk with you sometime about the 13.5 HP karts for the Racing Dreamz Foundation. This may be just what we've been looking for. Let me know whens a good time to call.

ProtoDie
09-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Today I have a birthday party for my 8 year old.

call or email me tomorrow,,,,or when ever is convieniant for you.

Looking at your foundation, it does look like a good fit to give kids a fun and safe driving expieriance.

Jody Dykstra - Owner
Phone: 616.681.9446
Cell: 616.813.8246
Email: jdykstra@protodie.com
protodie@protodie.com

RacingDreamz
09-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks, Jody, I will tomorrow.

ProtoDie
09-13-2011, 07:37 PM
put together some more video,,,with some external footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-DCF1kLmEE&feature=player_detailpage

Bullnerd
09-13-2011, 08:23 PM
That is awesome!

Nice job!

TALON
09-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Mate that looks like so much fun ,little buggers can steer to.

ProtoDie
09-14-2011, 06:22 AM
Thanks,

I am jealous of the little buggers getting all this racing time.

The in car camera is my 11 year old son.

Fun to see the steering wheel and hand gestures:D

We will be building even more 13hp karts for adults to get an affordable racing fix.

couple more years and it will come full circle and the kids will probably be racing 600cc where we started

esmstafford
09-14-2011, 07:51 AM
would make nice shifter karts 80-50cc.[smilie=ecstatic.gi:

ProtoDie
09-14-2011, 07:37 PM
down the road we will continue to up the motor size for them.

shifter motor would be a nice step before 600cc.

Tough thing is to have easy access to an off the shelf , easily purchased stock/ standard motor to keep it even.

I did a little search and $$$

If any body has good source or more info on shifter motors I would be interested

SCEADU
09-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Jody,

A good engine for that would be the Suzuki LTZ 400. They are everywhere on ebay and it has reverse built in. I am thinking about changeing gears on my project and moving to building a Mini T. I would use an engine that has reverse. The KFX 450R, Polaris 450 and 525 all have reverse from the factory and there are plenty of upgrades available for them.

ProtoDie
09-15-2011, 06:26 AM
looks like around 40 hp and $1500-2000
would be a nice step up eventually

My kids will have to get jobs,,,,or sponsers other than Dad before this happens:D

rgvkid
10-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Looks Great!

Hows that 3 link setup working out? Those 6.5s pull pretty damn good!

Martinm210
10-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Videos are sweet! How is the life on those torque converter belts? I have never run one but picking up one now for my little 6.5. Are they comet 30 series or something different?

Those cars move really well.

ProtoDie
10-10-2011, 06:42 PM
3 link works well.

We keep "modifying " these motors so they are not really 6.5 hp any more.

1 more weekend of points racing and their season is over.

We are already ordering more parts to kick these motors up to the next level.
We actually discuss and decide together ,,,how much $$$ to go how fast and then we will tear all the motors down together and add the performance parts.
Tough to do,,,,but the best racing is close racing. No fun for anyone if one,,,or a few cars walk away.

Belts,,,,,we quit the torque convertor set up a few years back. Once we started getting the rpms up,,,,they would shred belts.

2 new ones in 1 day was the final straw.
mechanical clutches (disc & drum)is what we use.

the bummer is you loose the real low end power to do burnouts,,,,but you gain top end.

We do rolling start and they are up to full speed withing a 1/4 lap anyhow.

we run a few different brands (probably have the spelling wrong)
Noram cheetah
Hoorstman greased lightning
also a Noram drum clutch,,,not sure what model

might start messin with the bigger torque convertor setups for the 13hp motors,,,,,we will see:D

RacingDreamz
10-11-2011, 07:00 AM
Jody, with our 'hilly' terrain down here in Tenn., would a different gearing setup help with our 'off the line' and pulling power? Or, can the gearing and sprockets be changed to help this issue?

ProtoDie
10-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Ben,
Are you going to build a hilly race track?

for these little motors
CVT is better for low end power and if you are running hilly fields, sand,,,terrain that robs power.
on the 6.5 motors,,,you need to leave them stock or you will shred belts as you increase power.

flat track racing,,, the mechanical clutches produce higher top speeds but lose low end power

Or just jump up to a 13hp motor with a cvt

Martinm210
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks. Ill leave the motor stock then. With my young kids driving I kind of like the governer adjustability anyhow.

I suppose you could also go with a 500 series converter or something for the more modified 6.5 but then you might as well throw in a 13 or 16 hp motor. I may do that myself but not until I give the 6.5 a good try.

RacingDreamz
10-11-2011, 07:10 PM
jody, can you put the CVT on them? if so, i'll bump up to a higher HP, probably a 16HP Honda vtwin. With it jetted and piped. :)

ProtoDie
10-12-2011, 05:37 AM
jody, can you put the CVT on them? if so, i'll bump up to a higher HP, probably a 16HP Honda vtwin. With it jetted and piped. :)

sure, room to put in all kinds of different motors and cvt setup

not sure if I would start off in expierianced kids on that much though.

RacingDreamz
10-12-2011, 06:31 AM
the younger kids, i'm going to start them off in the 13hp, but the older ones will have the 16hp. and ALL kids have to go thru the simulation program first. i'll send you a link to the property when we get all the legal stuff out of the way and you can see how it lays out. they'll be about 20 acres.

ProtoDie
10-12-2011, 06:59 AM
sounds good,,looking forward to seeing your program evolve

Bbaker15
06-24-2014, 04:41 PM
What seat is used on these buggies?

ProtoDie
06-24-2014, 06:26 PM
aluminum kirkey Racing seat
similar to this

Race Seat (http://www.protodie.com/Race-Seat_p_137.html)

Bbaker15
06-24-2014, 07:12 PM
What about the bench seat?

ProtoDie
06-24-2014, 08:26 PM
oh, the original seat.

Ebay for the seat cushions then built the steel frame

Bbaker15
06-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Ohh I see.. How many feet of tubing did it take to build the entire buggy? D.o.m?

Deranged
06-24-2014, 10:22 PM
What's cool is, I am now re-building one right now for my kids! Just picked up the motor, and am buying hubs, bearings and all the parts to put it back together! I should start a build thread, eh.

Justin.

ProtoDie
06-24-2014, 10:25 PM
probably around 120-140'

you can use DOM but we used 1" x .083 wall ERW on these.
plenty of strength in the design

ProtoDie
06-24-2014, 10:27 PM
I got 1 built up race engine left :D

Bbaker15
06-24-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm thinking about making one if These!!! I race ump modifed and racing go karts. So this won't seem to hard to put together being they are so close to the racing go karts. Ive got a fab shop with all the equipment nesasary. I live in Grand Rapids approx. 30 minutes from you guys. Thanks for all the information!!!

ProtoDie
06-25-2014, 09:18 AM
sure,they are real fun and ya you are close.
you run modifieds at I96 speedway?

Bbaker15
06-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Yep, I-96 and all over Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Florida, Canada. The closest track is I-96.

turbomike9
01-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Ha that's so cool seeing all of them ripping around at once.

Sounds like our race karts, when you get a bunch together running you get that kind of thumping noise from the pack of single cylinders.

What RPM do you run them up to, ours we take to 7500, but that's with billet rod and flywheel, ported heads and valvetrain upgrades, bigger carbs, exhaust, custom cams etc.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/duwem/DSC_2832_zpstpfrxkdm.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/duwem/media/DSC_2832_zpstpfrxkdm.jpg.html)