PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Germany

mors
11-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm from Germany and I'm studying Mechanical Engineering in Aachen (quite renowned in Germany for Engineering Sciences). Luckily, I went to school in the UK, so most English terms and stuff are unproblematic to me.
"Luckily", because in German-speaking Forums and Communities about Buggies and thelike are pretty much useless.. *Very few people are actually making buggies themselves, which might be down to the strict regulations for road-legal cars, environmental awareness and the lack of dunes in Germany ;).
You guys in this forum, however, seem to be pretty damn good at it ;) ;)
I've been reading in the MiniBuggy.net Forums for quite a while now and have become more and more interested in building a buggy myself, currently I'm especially interested in the Edge Barracuda. I spoke to a lot of old friends over in the UK, and there even seems to be a slim chance that you can get a license plate for a buggy like the Barracuda there, but thats not my primary concern yet ;).
However, I'm not so sure how expensive a build would be if i did most of the stuff myself. Anyone got a clue how big (roughly) my budget would have to be??

Greetings from Germany,
Felix

hero_saku39
11-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Welcome to MBN mors. *The cost to build will vary widely. *There are several Barracuda builders on here and I am sure they will be along and give their input. *You are certainly off to a great advantage studying Mechanical Engineering. *Good luck.

Reflex
11-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Hello Felix,

I'm about 80km north of the danish/german border. Aachen is pretty close to holland where [url=http://www.crosskart.nl/index.php:25cexlbn]crosskart[/url:25cexlbn] racing is quite popular. There must be some of them who you can talk to about your project, parts and such. I believe you can find help from [url=http://www.cross-forum.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=29:25cexlbn]german autocross[/url:25cexlbn] racers as well, there is a class for mc-powered buggies there as well.

http://www.drcv.de/ > specialcross farzeug

this site has pics of the build of a specialcross-buggy powered by a Honda 1100 blackbird

Hope this helps
Poul

mors
11-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks Poul for the Links, there seems to be very good information over there. Knowing people in the same region certainly helps! Do you have a shed or workshop of your own or how do you get your stuff done?

Reflex
11-10-2007, 02:09 PM
So far I don't get anything done... I have an mx bike, but no time or skills (<--money) to build a buggy yet. I will do someday though [smilie=biggrin.gif].
I'm just here for inspiration and such.

buggito
11-10-2007, 03:13 PM
welcome to the club, I was back to my home time two weeks ago , not far from you, Welkenreadt in Belgium. Welcome to the forum.

Gene
11-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Welcome to MBN Mors! Reflex gave some good advice about crosskart racing as it seems similar to the type cars built by MBN members.

The European contingent is growing. Very cool. Perhaps an international MBN meet someday . . . at the sand!

mors
11-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Yeah, international meetup would rock. Would make a good reason to finally visit the States again ;) everytime i see these dunes in videos or so I get a sudden urge to buy some plane tickets :D. An MBN Sahara trip would also be nice, though ;)

K-fab
11-12-2007, 06:54 AM
We did a Pilot-Odyssey gathering a couple years ago down near Oak Ridge, Tennessee at Coal Creek. *We had people from Nova Scotia, Commifornia (it is it's own country) and Australia in the crowd of right around 30 people. *It was an absolutely great time.

An international gathering at Little Sahara or the new place in Kansas (don't recall the name right off hand) would be a lot of fun.

masterfabr
11-12-2007, 07:22 AM
If pure dunes is what you prefer then Little Sahara in Waynoka ,Oklahoma would be a great place.If your preference runs more in line of desert terrain then Syracuse Sand Park at Syracuse ,Kansas would be perfect.Both are centrally located in the U.S.. Personally I think the people at Syracuse would be VERY happy to help put on a gathering of buggy enthusiasts event. BTW welcome to the site!

hero_saku39
11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I think he meant the big Sahara as that would be just across the Mediterranean.

K-fab
11-12-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm going to need a snorkel for that 'pond' crossing, aren't I?

masterfabr
11-12-2007, 04:40 PM
I think he meant the big Sahara as that would be just across the Mediterranean.This is an American buggy site therefore he "must"have been talking about "our Sahara"! [smilie=biggrin.gif] *[smilie=boogie.gif] besides I can't see too many of us willing or able to transport our rigs.Group trip to the really big sahara tho?Probably would be cool as hell but it's not in my budget right now.

masterfabr
11-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Hmmmmm wonder what it costs to ship something like a buggy to the real sahara?