PDA

View Full Version : gene and transworks

masterfabr
10-06-2007, 10:58 AM
How goes it with transworks saga?

Gene
10-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't have it back yet but I am very confident it will work.

I did visit Transworks in El Cajon (San Diego area) last week to get the update. It failed because it was either dropped in shipment or because of my own clumsiness installing it in the car and the reverse shaft was impacted and bent. I don't remember dropping it during install but it is a possibility it was me rather than FedEx. However, the shipping box was damaged in the shaft's vicinity so FedEx gets the blame.

As some might remember from my build page I installed the diff, drove on and off the trailer and made it forward about 100 feet on pavement and 30 feet on sand before foward would no longer engage. I was able to back to the trailer then loaded by hand.

When it came time to unload neither forward or reverse would fully engage so we pushed it off. It made unhappy noises on and off for 75 feet to the garage.

Back to the shop visit - the reverse/forward shaft goes through a brass bushing in the case. The case hole got egged in the impact and that's why it wobbled as mentioned in my thread. Eric machined the case and made a new bushing to carry the shaft. He also installed new forward/reverse internals that were bent.

Some of you may remember that the forward gear ratio in my car was 6.94:1. When I bought the diff in October 2005 Eric said the forward gear ratio was an iffy choice because of small gear diameter and narrow gear face. He said that if I was willing to try that he was willing to replace it if it broke.

Subsequent installations of that same gear proved it would not hold up so he installed a 5.5:1 gear that is much beefier. It is larger diameter and has a wider profile. The difference for me is that the car will top out at about 110 instead of 85 and will require less shifting when duning.

My setup has a custom made double CV coupler drive shaft. Eric noticed that the diff side CV was binding. The inside of it was severly galled and it was destined for failure. The CV housing on the diff side is machined from 4140 and is supposed to be 55 Rockwell. He tested the material and it came in at 33 so he made a new one. The new one tested 58. I have not observed any damage to the engine side CV.

While I was at the shop examining the old CV I noticed how the back wall of the housing was taking a pounding from the splined shafts running through the coupler. When I built the car I should have left some space for the shafts to plunge - I did not do that and that was becoming a problem. To resolve that Eric removed a bit of shaft to allow for plunge. If the problem persists I will make new mounting plates to allow for a bit more plunge.

The forward gear was out for heat treat and the unit has most likely been assembled and shipped. It had not arrived at work last Friday and I expect it to show up this week. If all goes well and weather is cooperative the next test will come in a week or two.

Of course it would have been nice to have had a trouble free driveline experience. When I think back to the sites collective experience with drivelines it seems that I'm in the ballpark. I might be in the bleachers but I'm still in the stadium. So in the end the saga has been good.

rowycoracing
10-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Keep the updates coming (as you always have) once you get more testing in Gene ... good learning opportunity for the rest of us.

busasandrail
10-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Do you plan on doing your testing on the street or the dunes? If you want any dune support I'm there for you, just let me know when your heading down........my rail is ready to go.

Gene
10-08-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm hard headed enough to go to the dunes even though Dune has offered his BTR's and huge yard. Might not have it ready for next weekend though because earning a living is interfering with my preferred reality.

I'll be in touch!

busasandrail
10-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Gene, have you checked the weather for this weekend? Looks like a great weekend to get your rail out and let her stretch her legs.....Im ready, just let me know...

Gene
10-11-2007, 12:03 PM
No diff yet . . . it will be buttoned up today and shipped tomorrow.

busasandrail
10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
[smilie=angry.gif]