San Bernardino, CA 92407
Mailing Address P.O Box 6950
San Bernardino, CA 92412
24-hour Info Line 909-880-3090
Track Number (Race/Practice Days Only) 909-880-1733
Administration Number 909-384-9342 *
Fax Number 909-381-0687
President Bud Feldkamp
Track Manager *Lori Bryant *(mailto:lori@glenhelen.com)
Track Maintenance Rick Huth
Track Assistant Monique Huth
Marketing / Webmaster Joe Lee

WWW.GLENHELEN.COM (http://WWW.GLENHELEN.COM) *(http://www.GLENHELEN.COM)

K-fab
09-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Bob's Family Raceway

Another track which is only 3 miles from Bob's is I96 speedway. * They are a 1/4 mile circle track(they have a 1/2 mile track too, but we would not run that), but they also setup an autocross track which we could run.

I have not run the autocross yet, but the owner was real cool and sounded like he would set up the autocross to suit us.

The owners name is Mike

I-96 Speedway
3823 W. Portland Rd., Box 535
Lake Odessa, MI 48849
phone: 616.642.0555
616-693-2744
fax: 616.642.0525

K-fab
09-16-2007, 11:04 AM
[url=http://www.stonecityranch.com/:17cltagu]Stone City Ranch[/url:17cltagu]
Buda, Indiana - south of Indianapolis about an hour and a half off of US Route 50
Phil: (812) 849-0118
Jerry: (812) 325-2132
Dennis: (812) 824-9252
Doug: (812) 325-6295

hero_saku39
09-16-2007, 03:47 PM
seeing the name of this topic I couldn't help myself.....RedBud popped into my mind, then Doug Henry popped into my mind, and then K-fab's gonna die popped into my mind..... [smilie=ashamed.gif]

I'm going to the WSORR final rounds in Wheatland next weekend. *I'll report back and see if my buddy has any good contacts there.

boilermaker
09-16-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm wondering ,is that Wheatland,Wy? I'm asking because i spent some good times there once.

hero_saku39
09-17-2007, 06:34 AM
I'm wondering ,is that Wheatland,Wy? I'm asking because i spent some good times there once.

Wheatland, MO

boilermaker
09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
OK thanks, i still thought about all the good times thou.

blackhawk
10-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I hope a lite class gets started.

I would like to see something on the North East. Here is a track that runs full sized buggies in Smthton, PA *http://www.smithtonhole.com/index.html *Maybe if there was intrest they would run lites as well.

Never been to the track just caught it online.

Pacman
10-05-2007, 01:16 PM
http://www.smithtonhole.com

K-fab
11-02-2007, 04:09 PM
One of our local motocross tracks (New Vienna) is probably being taken over by a guy (Mike Cole) that's been running another local track (Red Barn) for the past couple of years - the land is now being sold by the owner, so Mike's moving on.

I got to take a couple of my Gen IV cars out to Red Barn a few weeks back and Mike got off on the cars - he was all about letting me ride on the track, but unfortunately the owner of Red Barn wasn't and told us we had to leave.

Anyhow, Mike just called me and asked if I'd be interested in helping out by designing and building a track for Stadium Lites and quads (since both types of vehicles tear up the track in a similar fashion - motocross bikes HATE what quads do to a track)

This is preliminary - as he's just starting to look into it, but he asked if I'd put out a post on the web sites I'm familiar with and see what sort of response from the Stadium Lite guys we'd get.

He wants to hold races and offer open practice on the weekends. *Race schedule - probably once a month (I'm guessing).

I'm in on this one. *I believe he said 7 acres of land for the track. *I'll lay out a track that's safe - table tops, not doubles for all the jumps. *It will have a high speed area and a more technical area. *I've been involved in building more than a couple motocross tracks and understand how to go about building good jumps, safe jumps and laying out a track that FLOWS - none of that go fast, stop, turn, go fast crap.

So I'd like to know how many people would be willing to show up and use the track, show up for races and/or just check the place out.

Thanks.

minibajaman
11-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey blackhawk where in PA are you? *I'm in Pittsburgh so I'm only about an hour away from Smithton hole. *I heard a rumor that there was a Pilot/Ody race there about a month ago. *I'm sure they would make a class for Lites if there was enough interest.

K-fab, where would this proposed track be located? *If it's not too far away I would definitely be interested in riding/racing there, especially if it is perfectly designed for Lites.

K-fab
11-02-2007, 09:29 PM
The track will be in New Vienna, OH - about 60 miles east of Cincinnati on State Route 28.

Try doing a search on motocross tracks and see if it pops up.

minibajaman
11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Sweet, it's only 4.5 hrs from me. *Count me in to be there at least a few times during the year.

http://www.newviennamotorsports.com/main.htm

hero_saku39
11-02-2007, 09:49 PM
915 miles! *[smilie=blink.gif]

K-fab
11-02-2007, 09:58 PM
How far are you from St. Louis? *That's right at 6 hours from me - so 7 to the track. *Bummer...

AtvNut
11-02-2007, 11:30 PM
cool only one tank of fuel there and back , 265 miles 4.5 hrs count me in is there camping allowed on site ?

hero_saku39
11-03-2007, 12:42 AM
How far are you from St. Louis? *That's right at 6 hours from me - so 7 to the track. *Bummer...

I'm at the oposite corner of the state.

Stoneman
11-03-2007, 06:42 PM
sweet

K-fab
11-12-2007, 05:35 PM
It looks like the track at New Vienna, Ohio is going to happen.

Mike called me this afternoon and wanted to know if I was still serious about it. *I'm in!

The track will cover about 7 acres.

I circled the section of the land that gets the track.

What I want to do is first go out with a car or three, start running around the lot and see what feels like a good flowing line. *Once I get the line figured out I'll go in, start cutting in the actual track with a Bobcat (or hopefully a small dozer). *After the track's down I'll go in and start working on the jumps, whoops and such.

Looks like I'll have work to do when I get back from Glamis! *WOO HOO!!!

Mike said that he plans on having:
Camping
Full concessions
Possibly a shop for parts and such.

He said he's all about holding races - but doesn't know where to begin with them for us - no problem, we'll figure it out. *I would imagine the first few are going to be a bit haphazard, but what the heck. *I'm thinking a starting of about three or four next year should be good - say every 6 weeks? *I'll make sure they don't coincide with any of the other places that race Lites.

turbotexas
12-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Make sure there is ample parking for Large car toyhaulers!!!

hero_saku39
12-12-2007, 10:30 PM
It looks like the track at New Vienna, Ohio is going to happen.

Mike called me this afternoon and wanted to know if I was still serious about it. *I'm in!

The track will cover about 7 acres.

I circled the section of the land that gets the track.

What I want to do is first go out with a car or three........

well, we know who is driving the first two...........

hero_saku39
12-12-2007, 10:32 PM
I see what appears to be six existing tracks in that picture???

TutTech
12-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Turbotexas,
your photo made me bust up.
Thats so cool.

I wish I could join you guys.. dang.
[smilie=alright.gif]

I cant wait to see and hear how this works out.
It sound awesome.

And K-fab when you going to Glamis?

Anyways keep us all posted.

[smilie=biggrin.gif]

K-fab
12-13-2007, 06:24 AM
Hero - old photo. *There are two left at present, supposed to go back up to four when the new management takes over.

Tut - Glamis in Feb. *The week before President's Day.

turbotexas
12-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Turbotexas,
your photo made me bust up.
Thats so cool.[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Yea what a job huh...

LEE1969GB
01-11-2008, 01:28 PM
K fab, Do you have any dates/ venues for the stadium racing series? Do you know if it will be televised.

K-fab
01-11-2008, 03:02 PM
K fab, Do you have any dates/ venues for the stadium racing series? Do you know if it will be televised.
ROFLMAO!!!! * Televised? *Maybe on YouTube if someone's standing by the track. * *Sorry... *That one struck the funny bone big time.

This is totally bush league racing and if I have my way, there will be a small p.o.s. trophy or plaque at the end of the day - maybe just a ribbon. *I refuse to run for money (I always give my prize money back to the track). *People become VERY stupid when you wave any sort of prize money in front of them at the end of the day's worth of racing.

I'm not the one running the facility, nor will I be the one running the races - I will help, but it's not my show. *

The track will be my baby. *I'll take care of design and building and I'll probably have a heavy hand in up keep, but that's about it. *I'm not about to take on the promoter aspect. *I'm a racer, not a manager.

I will work on getting a race schedule that works with Spring Valley, Bob's, Stone City and who ever else is racing.

I much prefer to go to a track on practice days. *It's more fun to go play until your worn out, come back to the pits, relax, do it again. *There's something about the hurry up and wait aspect of racing for five to ten laps worth of time that is a bummer. *I will be racing some, though.

Speaking of the track (some of this is redundant and this thread should be in the Lites section, but what the heck, I can move it later if need be):

It's official - I'll be building a Stadium Lite track about an hour east of Cincinnati. *The motocross park is called New Vienna - [url=http://www.newviennamotorsports.com/main.htm:1fqx2bdy]here's the old owner's web page[/url:1fqx2bdy]

The track will be located on roughly 7 acres - sort of(?) kidney bean shaped - section four in the pic below. *This is an OLD picture - most of the tracks are gone now.

I hope to head out to the land this weekend and start working on a layout.

My three main goals for the track are:
1) FLOWING. *None of this point, shoot, brake, turn, point, shoot, brake, turn crap. *The track will have slower technical sections as well as long, fast sections. *This is very much personal preference on my part but I enjoy a track that allows you to flow continuously from corner to corner instead of a choppy screwed up type of drive. *And since I'll be operating the dirt moving equipment, it's what I'm going to do! * :wink:

B) Wide enough for four cars - I'm planning on 35' to 40' wide

III) Multiple lines so there is passing able to be done in the corners, straights and even switch backs. (which usually and obviously develop one line)

I also want to set the track up so that it's multiple level friendly. *There will be table tops through out and there will be doubles in sections where they're able to be done safely. *Different obstacles may be side by side - say a table top on one side of a straight with a double on the other side.

We also want the track to be used by people with UTVs, quads and I'm trying to get some Trophy Karts here too. *The more we can keep four wheeled vehicles off the motocross track the happier everyone will be. *(I HATE quads on a motocross track - they screw up the turns)

Hopefully we'll have the basic layout of the track finished by the end of February. Weather will play a huge roll in this and I'll be out west playing in the Dunes for a couple weeks in the middle of Feb.

I'll keep everyone updated as it goes along.

http://www.quadpit.com/images/rides/newveinna/nv-02b.jpg

plkracer
01-11-2008, 03:06 PM
We need a track over here too! I bet you will get a lot of spectators wonder what is going on. Hopefully the sport will come alive again.

84BOB
01-11-2008, 04:27 PM
hi,If anyone is interested I have a EEE Superlite from the Mickey days that I raced that might want to sell with all the spares.It's in great shape.I had it out over Thanksgiving in the Majove and ran away from most anything.

plkracer
01-11-2008, 05:49 PM
we need pics of the EEE, and put it in the for sale section. Very nice phazer you have there. Any more left?

minibajaman
01-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Sounds great K-fab. *And that location is not too far from me so I'll definitely be out there. *If you need any help with anything let me know. *I don't know how you were planning on doing the races, but it would be nice it is something like practice Saturday and race on Sunday to make the most of the weekend.

K-fab
03-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Just a little update on the New Vienna, OH track:
http://www.newviennamotorsports.com/

I got to go out on Sunday and muck about in the mud and squish with a Bobcat. *The section of land that I'll be building the track on is almost 10 acres.

I started trying to get an idea for a layout for the track. *It's going to have at least one long straight that ends in a sweeping, decreasing radius turn that runs slightly up hill - should be fun.

It's sort of hard to get an idea of speed versus distance that you can travel in a Lite versus the Bobcat. *I'm thinking that my first layout (if you want to call it that) is a bit too tight. *I need to get out on the MX bike and run around. *A bike and a Lite flow about the same, so if I can get a good flowing line with the bike and then widen it up to about 20 to 25 feet we should have a nice, fun track. *I'm looking for flow - there's nothing worse than a go fast, stop, turn, go fast, stop, turn type of track. *No flow makes for no fun.

I want to get the basic track laid out and then work on getting the jumps and table tops and such installed.

The weather here SUCKS (I want to go back out west where I wore shorts all February) and we're getting MORE rain right now, so I don't know when I'll be able to get back out and work on the track again. *I'm hoping that it will clear up and dry up enough by next week, but we'll just have to wait and see.

K-fab
04-06-2008, 07:47 AM
I got the four wheel track cut in yesterday. * First time on a bulldozer - that thing's fun! *Six way blade makes some interesting gouges. * [smilie=ashamed.gif]

The track has two longer, fast sections and quite a few switch backs. *The corners are increasing radius, decreasing radius, the dreaded tight 180 and a couple sweepers. *Hopefully the track flows like I was looking for it to. *I'm not sure where jumps, bumps and such are going in yet.

I'm headed back out today to push more dirt around and I think I'm going to take my Gen IV car (stadium lite) out and see how it (the layout) feels. *It's sort of hard getting any idea of motion and flow on a machine that goes an amazing 5 mph...

The river that runs through the property is up right now, so I'll probably have to use a mini-excavator to move the car across it. *No way the car would make it right now. *We do plan on building a bridge, so it won't be an issue. *Anyone know where to come across one or two used semi flat bed trailers?

I'll try to get some pix and get them posted later.

This will be the last weekend I get to work on the place for about three - heading out west for a desert race (class 10 - Best in the Desert, Terrible's 250 in Primm, NV) the end of this week. *Hopefully by the time I get home, the river will be down, the rains will have decided to leave and I won't need a web footed horse to get around. *Ah, spring in Ohio - the wonderful world of wet... (sucks!)

Bugpac
04-06-2008, 07:55 AM
ah dozer is fun, dont be surprised by it tho, as they can still make you feel like you were dead the next day...The seat belt truely will save the back in some instances...Odypilots and myself headed out to i96 speedway yesterday to scope out the track, the 10 dez would be very well suited, I imagine the speeds will reach nearly 100 if not higher here, the jumps seem a bit large for a mini, he is going to do some rearranging etc once it starts getting ridden... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

odypilots
04-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Bug is right, this place is going to be HIGH SPEED! The picture I've drawn isn't quite to scale, and it may have be missing a twist or two, but that's mainly it.

The track appears to be 30 to 40 feet wide everywhere. It looks like to would be perfect for WSORR and CORR trunks if a little more width was added.

The main straight in front of the spectator area is LOOOOONG, with only one jump. HIGH SPEEDS! I suggested a chicane or two, but the owner wants to keep the area between the two straights open for grass drags. All the corners are sweeping. Bugpac pointed out a potential problem area on the back straight, where the 3 jumps are close together. With a good long runup to the first jump, It looks as though racers will be landing on the face of the second jump, possibly getting out of shape, with the third jump right there. The owner seemed interested, and said any problem areas would be fixed.

The track may not be ready for test and tune on the 12th, but if not he'll run us on the quarter mile.

Bugpac
04-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Odypilots, did any of the photos turn out?

Creativeness
04-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Man i cant wait until I move back to the midwest... The west coast is no fun, plus everything here is money money money.

Iowa was more like; You do me a favor, and I help you out. Or handshake deals.

odypilots
04-06-2008, 02:58 PM

They don't really show much. I was bummed.

K-fab
04-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Took the Gen IV to the track today. *Tie downed it to the blade on the dozer, picked it up and drove across the river to the track.

The track is FAST. *I was actually taken back by how well it flows and how fast I was able to run the corners. *I don't think it's going to be a horsepower track - I'm hoping not...

Once we get jumps in the speeds will come down and the place will become a bit more technical to run on - not to the point of being a PITA to drive - just more refined.

The dirt is, for the most part, deep top soil. *There's one clay area, but it's small and in a nice banked slider of a turn.

I also took the Gen IV out onto the motocross track. *WOO HOO!!! *Man this thing is fun. *I was able to clear all the table tops and doubles except one double/table/triple thingy that spooked me (even on the MX bike this one spooks me - but I will double it on the bike) and one at the end of a rhythm section. *I cleared it, but I didn't land it quite right. * * [smilie=ashamed.gif]

Lawn darted about 40 feet from the take off lip. *I knew I screwed up the second I LIFTED on the face. *WTF was I thinking??? *

Had a good amount of time to watch the ground get closer. *"Hmmm, is it going to stick?" *
Doink
"YUP!" *Ground, trees, sky, ah there's the track back in front of me again. *Stuck the throttle and never came to a stop. *

I must admit that my neck is a little bit sore and I did thump my thigh on the brake bias bar, but other than dirt 9" up on the hood (I'm so glad the landing jump was soft and squishy), didn't hurt a thing other than my pride.

From what I understand there are both pics and video of the car on the track - and the lawn dart. *I hope to get them here sometime this evening.

The bike guys were amazed that I could suck them in so quickly. *Corner speeds in a car are smoking fast compared to a bike.

I also got a bunch of ride time in on the motocross bike. *Man I've missed it!

It was a damn good day!

Bugpac
04-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Kfab, is it a river or a stream, a steel culvert may be way more economical than a trailer right now, the price of scrap steel is thru the roof, 190.00 per ton on average, i think you could get a 60" culvert probbaly for less than 1000 bux, and pack it in with gravel....throw some concrete bags up on bank, dont remove bag, they will harden in time and the bag will disapear, keep it from eroding...sand will work better and cheaper than gravel, but i know the farther south the less the sand becomes avaialble, then put like 10-12" gravel over top... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

K-fab
04-06-2008, 07:00 PM
It's a river and to do anything permanent you have to deal with the Army Corps of Engineers. *Drop a trailer across and we don't have to worry about squat. *Stupid the way it works.

Bugpac
04-06-2008, 07:04 PM
ah i see...

odypilots
04-06-2008, 07:05 PM

Well, These don't show much, but here are 4 pics of the track at I-96 Speedway, at Lake Odessa, MI. Traffic will run clockwise.

Bugpac
04-06-2008, 07:06 PM
some pictures are better than none.. [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Bugpac
04-06-2008, 07:07 PM
any pictures of the uphill jump as i would call it?

odypilots
04-07-2008, 11:56 AM
No real good pictures of anything else. I'm assuming you're talking about the first of the 4 jumps on (what I've taken to calling) the back straight? The tallest jump?

Bugpac
04-07-2008, 12:12 PM
yuppers...

JDAWG
04-08-2008, 07:42 PM
The track in New Vienna sounds great cant wait to take a ride to Ohio.

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I just came across a racing org in New England for off road trucks and buggies. They dont have a mini buggy class or a utv class but if there is anyone willing to show up I'll give the guy and call and try to get us a race. I was thinking of suggesting the race they have scheduled at Jolly Rogers MX Park in NH. I've raced this track on a MX bike and it is one our best tacks in New England. It's long and wide. It just flows. So if any one is interested post up and Ill put the wheels in motion.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Thanks, JDAWG

slowbriggs
04-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I would be up for it!
JDAWG, Also heard that the owner of the mototown in Windsor has/had a pilot and would consider letting us ride indoors. *The place is big, and they run full size VW buggy races in it. *This is where they had the race last Sat. that I emailed you about.

Bugpac
04-08-2008, 08:40 PM
windsor canada?

JDAWG
04-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Bugpac, He means Winsor CT.

Slow Briggs sorry I dont think I got the email. Sorry

JDAWG
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Sorry slowbriggs I just checked my email and your email was there [smilie=tr_oops.gif] . I'll call ya tomorow.

K-fab
05-10-2008, 10:39 PM
An update on the New Vienna Stadium Lite/quad track. *Over the past 5 days I've moved a bunch of dirt and now have about 1/3 to 1/2 of the obstacles done. *The more I get done, the more excited I'm getting about it - it's going to be better than the mx track on the other side of the river! *

We purchased two used 40' flat bed semi trailers and will be using them for the bridge to cross the river. *It will make a 16' wide bridge that will support 80K lbs.

The track flows really well and the speed (without any obstacles) is a bit nuts - but the stuff I'm putting in should help slow everything down. *I'm really trying to make a driving type track instead of a hp track.

The track's about 30' wide all the way around, so I'm able to get a bit creative on the jumps.

Example is the first jump. *Come off the fastest section of the track into a tightening radius turn (think 5th gear to 2nd) make the corner and then over a table top if you're on the inside line - or if you run the outside line (outer 10' or so of the track) it's a double. *This goes into a double apex right hander that flows nicely and if you've run the double jump line, it puts you on the inside line of the rhythm section.

The rhythm section is three table tops all spaced so that you should be able to treat them like three double jumps. *This is if you run the outside 2/3rds of the track.

If you ran the inside line in the corner, you'll hit the same first table top as the outside line sees, but then you'll run flat ground along side the second table and hit a large jump that will launch you onto the third table top. *I'm betting it's going to be fun to "triple" in the Briggs car.

There's going to be a large - 70' or so - table top on the long straight. *This straight goes into an slightly up hill left hand sweeper. *Out of that there's a dog leg jog left/right and over four little "bumps" - they're spaced so I'm hoping we can sort of double double through them. *They're about a foot high and more or less little rollers. *Not even whoops.

After that there's a very slight downhill run of 75' or so that drops off before a left hander. *I put a little rounded ski jump at the top of where it starts to drop away. *These little jumps are a blast. *You don't have to let off at all and you just sort of float down to the landing. *They're usually very smooth and a lot of fun. *I'll tweak it so the landing will be good for everything from a stock FL350 up to my toys.

There's another shorter straight that's quite wide and I think I may make a large table top with one side of it a step up, step off.

There will be one long fast section - it really is fun too. *It starts out as a increasing radius right hander that opens into a semi-short straight. *This then begins to make a long sweeper to the left that finally dives down into the decreasing radius left hander that leads to the first double I described above.

I want to figure out how to put a small double in the middle of one of the corners. *Done right, this type of jump is a blast. *I just have to make sure that I get it set up correctly so it doesn't destroy the flow of the corner.

I'm trying really hard to make this track have table tops on ALL the jumps so nobody gets hurt and on the few doubles that are integrated into the tables, I've worked on making them not be punishers if you screw up. *

This will make the track more fun and let the guys that start out slow get faster as they get more track time in.

Bugpac
05-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Test and tune day? I need to get scheduled way early to make it... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

K-fab
05-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Test and tune is when ever NVMX is track is open.

NVMX is open every weekend and Mike (the guy that runs the place) is working on getting it opened 4 to 5 days a week here soon.

There's camping at the track and there's a small town about 5 minutes away that has all the supplies you'd need for a weekend stay.

It's not like Spring Valley or I-96, where you only get a few shots at running on the track according to a schedule.

Bugpac
05-11-2008, 11:26 AM
there is no schedule at 196, you can run non stop from 10am-5pm, and camp if you wish....I ran about 50 laps yesterday myself....hes working on tuesday theu sunday now, and said if we let him know saturday he will drive to meet us and open the gate on sunday...

I guess my question should have said, what day can we make a group get together... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

K-fab
05-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Ah cool! *I was always under the impression it was scheduled. *Nice that you have a place that you can go play anytime you get time.

Gathering? *That's up to you guys. *I do plan on taking off for a couple weekends with my kids during the summer break, but I'm still trying to get the dates figured out.

ProtoDie
05-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Bug,,,,,did Mike improve the jumps at all? *How was it?

Bugpac
05-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Bug,,,,,did Mike improve the jumps at all? *How was it?

http://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?na ... 0734#70734 (http://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=70734#70734)

He is this week, I improved my car 300% to what it was last time, I cant hit them full speed, but i can hit them 2x as fast as the last time, without a sore back.... [smilie=biggrin.gif]
He says he is making them all table tops, He has been renting the track during the week for the last 3 weeks, so he has not been able to do much, Bombardier has been testing the new 800... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

ProtoDie
05-11-2008, 04:50 PM
sweet,,,,,,,thanks for the update

K-fab
05-17-2008, 09:43 PM
A little more update on the New Vienna track:

We purchased a used Trojan 3000 wheel loader yesterday. *It's a beast. *It has a bucket on it that's somewhere around 8' wide, close to 4' high and probably 4' deep. Guessing that it's in the neighborhood of 4 cubic yards. *One bucket full is a jump! *

http://www.rockanddirt.com/images/equipdb/24058262_a.jpg

I'm going to have to fill the bucket on the loader up with the Bobcat, just to see how many buckets it takes. *[smilie=mhihi.gif]

The plan is to get it to the track on Monday and start moving massive amounts of dirt this week. *

We need to get the bridge in too, but with the rain we've had that may be a few days.

If all goes well (the weather has sucked on and off these past few days and I'm not sure what this week has in store) I'll spend most of the week finishing the track.

Now that I have major digging ability, (woo hoo!!) I'll be able to dig down through the top soil and get to the clay. *I'll use clay for the bases of the jumps and then spread about 6" to 8" of top soil over the clay. *Makes for a really stable, non-changing jump that doesn't tend to have the face and landing areas bed in so badly. *It helps keep the kickers down too.

I plan to take the camera out with me this week and get some pix of the track and the jumps as I get things built.

I plan on building two things that will require a lot of dirt. *One is a big table top on the long straight - I hope to make it around 70' long and clearable by everyone and I also want to make a step up, step off jump. *These things are a blast when done correctly - hope I can remember how to do it right!

I want this place open by the end of the month, so everyone that wants to come play needs to start making plans for a gathering in June.

Come on guys - let's see how many of us we can get to congregate for a weekend of Stadium Lite Fun!

There is camping at the track and a small town that has supplies about 5 minutes down the road.

OH - one thing... *If you have a trailer or a vehicle that's over 8' tall, please get in touch with me so I can give you an alternate route to get to the track. *The road that comes into the place goes under a rail road track and I think the clearance is marked right at 8'. *The alternate route only adds about half a mile and if I can get my box van around it, pretty much everyone else should be able to get into the track too. [smilie=giddy.gif]

Bugpac
05-17-2008, 10:04 PM
looks like a 3.5 yarder from here....It should be stamped on the tag that is attached to the bucket, looky close you may find it, I built the jump at my mothers house, 60 yds of dirt dont go far!! 70' table top 30' wide, Im guessing to be in the 200-250 yd range easily...If you can imagine it, 30' wide 3' tall, 3' long, 10yds of dirt. compacted 15 yds, x 70', of course were guessing here....

JDAWG
05-17-2008, 11:26 PM
K-fab, I'm in for June. Just got my enclosed trailer and it looks like I might be able to keep the car and build the truck. Woo Hoo!!! Anyways just give a date and I'll be there. Thanks for the hard work on the track. JDAWG

sicksand
05-17-2008, 11:28 PM
K-FAB did you ever get my pm about the extreme baja karts?I never heard back from you so I was just curious?A few of them would be perfect for a kids class at your new track?

K-fab
05-18-2008, 07:19 AM
K-FAB did you ever get my pm about the extreme baja karts?I never heard back from you so I was just curious?A few of them would be perfect for a kids class at your new track?Yes, I did. *Sorry I forgot to get back with you. *I had e-mailed bob the same day I pm'd you and Bob called me back on Thursday. *Unfortunately I missed it. *He was working his butt off getting read for the CORR race this weekend, so I e-mailed him back and told him I could wait until he had a chance to breath before he called me again. *I'll probably hear from him this coming week. *Thrash time can be hectic and I fully understand.

I already have all the info in place to become a Trophy Kart dealer (just not sent it in yet), but I want to talk to Bob first and see what he requires to become a dealer.

I'm very interested to see how the two brands compare to each other on the track. *I believe that they are running both the EBKs and TKs together now at the races like CORR and BITD (they ran both at BITD on Friday before the Terrible's race - I wish I'd seen the race when I was there, but hey, I was in Vegas and there were other things to do! *[smilie=ashamed.gif] )

TK is now offering the Elite version - aka Adult version. *It comes powered by a Kawasaki KXF250 engine. *Retail is $14,990. *It's a bit more "Lite" like, so who knows. *It's about 3 grand less than a Redline and even though it's down on power by about half (38 versus 80), if it works well, it may be the hot ticket for a Lite sized vehicle for some people.

If all goes well I'd like to become a dealer for both makes and maybe even throw in Redline sales too (they've not responded yet). *I need to see how the track does and what sort of interest the EBK/TK have before I consider Redline, though.

I still want to get my hands on a Redline and fix some of the design flaws (single shear everywhere, totally screwed up upper front a-arm mount design - wtf were they thinking?? long bolts in single shear w/o any sort of support???) and see how they work. *Regardless of doing mods or not, I believe it would be a great vehicle for the track and I believe that there is a large amount of performance to be found with correct shock tuning and chassis setup.

I really want this stuff to take off and do well. *I'm also hoping that I can be on the forefront of getting the wonderful toys that you find out west here into the Mid-West where everyone thinks anything with four wheels and a roll cage is one of "Them thar dune buggies". *[smilie=banghead.gif]

TK/EBK's first, Redline next and then I'll look into getting the performance oriented SxS here.

looks like a 3.5 yarder from here....It should be stamped on the tag that is attached to the bucket, looky close you may find it, I built the jump at my mothers house, 60 yds of dirt dont go far!! 70' table top 30' wide, Im guessing to be in the 200-250 yd range easily...If you can imagine it, 30' wide 3' tall, 3' long, 10yds of dirt. compacted 15 yds, x 70', of course were guessing here....All I know is that it will take a lot less time with the wheel loader to build stuff than with the Bobcat. * [smilie=boogie.gif] *I was going to spend days making the table with the Bobcat, now it'll be an afternoon! *Another plus is that we'll be able to move the trailers (bridge) with ease now. *The dozer moved them easily, but it couldn't pick them up very well (awkward) to place them.

K-fab, I'm in for June. Just got my enclosed trailer and it looks like I might be able to keep the car and build the truck. Woo Hoo!!! Anyways just give a date and I'll be there. Thanks for the hard work on the track. JDAWGI'll leave the date up to you guys. *The track is open every weekend and will be open on some of the weekdays also. *Anyone is welcome to show up anytime the track is open. *I'm just hoping that everyone on the board can figure out a date that works so you can invade the place in one big show and expose the rest of this part of the world to Stadium Lites. *One car on the track (mine) drew a lot of interest, so 10 or more running around for a weekend will do nothing but expose us more and more.

Another thing I do want to ask of everyone with a Lite is please try to make it as quiet as possible. *The track has had a couple issues over the years with sound problems (the track's 10 years old, but under new management as of Jan '08), but for the most part nobody complains. *I want to keep it that way.

Even if you loose a couple hp quieting down your ride, I'd rather have a place to play because we're being noise nice and a tad slower than not having any place to play at all. *Just keep that in the back of your minds, please.

I'll keep this thread updated as I move forward this week.

DIRT GOOD!!! * [smilie=biggrin.gif]

K-fab
05-22-2008, 08:55 PM
The track is open! *It's not done, but it is usable.

I spent the last two days trucking around in the Bobcat (there are some issues with the new bucket loader - blown steering hose SUCKS).

I plan on getting out to the track on Sunday and doing preliminary testing with a couple of the Briggs cars and PilotHawk's Pilot. *He's coming up tomorrow.

The three table tops in a row are still a bit screwy. *I used a base that was a bit wet and the last table is squishy. *I need to let it dry a bit more and dig up more clay for the jump faces. *It packs better.

The large table top (not the 70'er - it's not in yet) also suffered from soft underlayer. *It will be both a table top and a very large rounded jump that you'll float just a foot or so above. *It will let everyone learn how fast to go over to clear the table.

I did add one double jump - and it's in the middle of a right/left jog. *If you don't like it, there are lanes on each side just for driving around it.

I threw in a couple little flight time jumps. *These are maybe a foot high with a long shallow approach - they're designed to be hit going as fast as you can w/o any worries. *They just sort of float you out for a while.

I've tried to make most of the obstacles have two personalities. *The floaters, as an example have one lower, less intense side and as you move to the other end they become a little higher and throw you farther out.

I also made it so that the more intense parts alternate from side to side, so you are going to have to change lines, use the whole track, etc. *I'm hoping that it really evens up the speed among people on the track.

There's still work to do, but it won't take long before this track's dialed in.

plkracer
05-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Looking good Kfab. I wish you lived closer! BTW, when was that field in corn?

K-fab
05-23-2008, 08:00 AM
It was a corn field last year. *They've been farming it for the past 8 or so. *

Other than the end with a sweeping left hander at the end of a straight, the little double jump and rhythm section, the entire place is about 18" deep top soil. *Perfect off road dirt.

K-fab
05-26-2008, 07:17 PM
PilotHawk put in over four hours in the Bobcat on Saturday and we changed a bunch of stuff. The work I'd done, while a good base wasn't quite up to snuff for our rides.

We ended up realizing that the track flows much better in the opposite direction than I'd planned, so now it goes the other way. *I really appreciate having three other guys out helping me - two of them ran around the track as we modified it and let us know how the faces of jumps and such were making the cars react.

What was the drop away is now an uphill(ish) launch and a blast. *Smooth landing.

The little whoop/rhythm section is gone. *The double jump after that was redone and it looks* to be a lot of fun and very easy to over jump (so you have to slow down! ahem...)

*I didn't drive the track the second half of the day. *A high speed endo/barrel roll sort of put me out of wanting to drive.

The triple set of table tops is now just a pair and a blast.

Among the three cars we had there yesterday (two Briggs & a Pilot), the track probably saw over a hundred laps and a lot of little mods.

There are still a few things to get done - the big table top is now going to be the big table top/step off. It still needs more dirt on it.

Anyhow, major progress was made and there is still more to come.

I'll keep everyone posted.

litespeed
05-26-2008, 08:01 PM
*I didn't drive the track the second half of the day. *A high speed endo/barrel roll sort of put me out of wanting to drive.

So what happend to your car. You can't make a statement like that and not post pictures and verbage to tell the tail.

I have to say I find it strange tha the track worked better the opposite way. Seems most jumps are kinda one way. Maybe they are not on a buggy track but motorcross always seemed to work best in one direction.

Details man.....it's always in the details.

Tom

PilotHawK
05-27-2008, 12:17 AM
New Vienna is going to be a blast! the jumps and table tops were there but needed a lot of work. I was on the bobcat reworking the face of one of the table tops when I asked one of the guys to turn around a run the track backwards. After he did a few laps he thought it "felt" better running it the opposite way from originally intended. We moved a lot of dirt and got the jumps faced to where a stock pilot as well as the briggs cars could pretty much handle everything on the track. The track is not far from finished, and now that k-fab has had a chance to see how the track flows and what still needs work, things will come together quickly.

My impression is that the track is going to be a mix of technical and speed sections. There shouldn't be anything on the track that a stock pilot or something more modified can't handle. *In reworking the track we may have lost some of the multiple line racing, but what we were aiming for is a track that is fun and SAFE. The track isn't going to be one where you are running WFO all the time, and it isn't so chopped up and technical where you can't open it up for some speed either. I will give my play by play version of the track as I see it.

Start: I'll call it the middle straight with a high speed roller (18" long faced jump) midway down the straight. Into turn 1 a fairly tight 180 degree left hander with about a 80' run to the table top with about a 3' step-off at the end. After the step-off brake hard into turn 2....a 180 degree right hander up a slight incline to a nice step-up that launches you pretty good. After the landing and a short run you get to turn 3, a 45 degree left hander with a short run to a short double. I didn't try it, but there should be no problem clearing it in about anything. After the double you get to turn 4. Turn 4 is a 135 degree right hander into a 300-400' straight where you should be able to build some decent speed. At the end of the straight is turn 5. Turn 5 is a 90 degree turn with a short run into the first of 2 table tops. The first one 3-4' feet high and is about 50-60' long and has a nice flat top and landing ramp. The second is slightly smaller and tapers down almost immediately. You can hit both of these pretty much wide open. Immediately after the 2 table tops is turn 6. 6 is an increasing radius 120 degree left hander into the last table top. The table top is about 40 feet long and has a nice landing area. After the table top there is turn 7. 7 is a 180 increasing radius right hander into the front straight. The front straight actually curves to the right over a distance of about 600 to 700 feet with another high speed roller about 2/3 of the way down. Last is turn 8 which is a 90 degree right hander back to the middle straight.

odypilots
05-27-2008, 06:19 AM
*The double jump after that was redone and it looks* to be a lot of fun and very easy to over jump (so you have to slow down! ahem...)

In my experience, jumps that you can over jump the landing area are BAD. In the heat of a race there is always that need to make up time that can hurt someone when they do over cook it off a jump. IMO, there should be something; a corner, a littler jump, a whoop section, to bring the speed down to where the jump can be taken as fast as the approach allows. My 2 cents. *[smilie=peace.gif]

K-fab
05-27-2008, 07:11 AM
Ody: *You can over jump this one and miss the landing w/o any penalties other than a slightly rough landing. *It's safe to launch, it's better to double and get the power to the ground. *It is out of a left hand bend and goes into a right hand opening radius sweeper.

Besides that, the majority of the time spent on this track is open running, not racing. *I will not be holding/running races - if the track wants to race, then the track management will cover that aspect and I'll keep everyone up to date on what's planned.

We have dirt moving equipment there, so if it needs to get modified as we learn how the track works, no big deal. *

So what happened to your car. You can't make a statement like that and not post pictures and verbage to tell the tail.Other than destroying the roof panel, nothing happened to the car. *It survived just fine.

I had just reworked one of the little high speed floater jumps: *Put dirt on what was the back side of it so it would work in the new direction. *I came around the corner before the jump (probably running 50ish), set up for the jump and when I hit it the right front touched down first. *I'm really not sure what happened. *I saw sky and ground a few times.

CSI of the crash shows that I went about 20' or so before the first touch down: *18" long, 1" deep crescent shaped mark in the dirt that was either rim lock or front bumper. *Nothing for about 30' then a big gouge where the upper right, rear roll cage dug in about 4-5". *The car stopped about 15' or so past that on it's left side/roof.

I was able to crawl out of the front window. *Not easy, but doable.

It shook me up pretty good. *Small cut on my knee that bled like a stuck pig, button head cap screw imprint on my right elbow, very sore neck, pretty green/blue bruises are showing up on my right collarbone area and I have a pretty good abrasion on my right neck from the seat belt.

They said I had a bit of a dazed look. *It was one of the hardest crashes I've had.

I would like to thank Sparco and Team-Tech for keeping me tucked tightly inside and not letting me flop about. *[smilie=bow.gif]

No pix. *There were two that saw the crash, I believe. *I heard someone say it looked like I didn't get the car quite straight before I hit the jump. *The face was still soft, so I'm guessing it grabbed a wheel and started the toss. *Don't know...

I have to say I find it strange tha the track worked better the opposite way. Seems most jumps are kinda one way. Maybe they are not on a buggy track but motorcross always seemed to work best in one direction.The jumps I'd made were still in the process of getting done.

They were too peaky and short (and I though I was making them un-aggressive!) *So changing direction didn't make much of a difference at the beginning of the day.

I took two or three laps, pulled over and went off to the pole barn for the Bobcat. *I knew right off the bat that there was going to be work needed. *That was the main focus of taking three cars out on Sunday - test & tune of the track.

litespeed
05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Well I'm glad you walked away. I could see how building a track and being the guinee pig could be pretty tuff. For me though, I think I would mock up a miniture track scaled down to the T and break out the RC cars. When I think about flipping through the air and endoing via cartwheels like I have done so many times with the toys it kinda humbles me. I remember as a kid racing my RC cars at some of the local BMX tracks and learning how to jump what I could and also to avoid those that would do bad things to my car. It's prolly what has kept me from the big jumps as I have aged. Once your up in the air only God and your safety equiptment can save you from mean old gravity. He is so unforgiving. He doesn't care what you were doing or why you were there or that you thought you had it right. Ah....Gravity! *It's been so long though I think I prolly forgot more than I know about jumping bikes or cars.

Good luck with the track and the light recovery.

Tom

K-fab
05-27-2008, 04:59 PM
The idea of a scaled down R/C track is quite interesting. *I like it for a preliminary track design idea. *But (why is there always a but (no, not butt)) it wouldn't have helped with what was going on when I dorked.

What we ended up working on was the face and flow of the jumps. *Figuring out the flow of the track - that just sort of worked itself out, but then we had to go back and start grooming the faces of everything so they didn't try to kill us when we jumped them.

What I found ironic about eating dirt was that when I came around the corner and set up for the jump I was looking at the face of the whole jump, across the track, trying to find the longest, smoothest launch section. *From the driver's seat it appeared to be the left 1/3rd of the jump. *Obviously I failed on that. *I had just worked this jump over and it was test time. *I wish I'd had the in-car camera in the car. *I brought it with me, but didn't take the two minutes needed to install it. *[smilie=banghead.gif]

The right side of the jump ended up having a really good face and lip, but there was a rise of about four to six inches about 30 to 40' before the jump and then a dip between the rise and the jump.

The rise tended to compress the suspension and lift the car a tad as you went over it, then it let the suspension droop as you went over the dip and then the car tended to slam into the face of the jump as you hit it. *Front end sort of drove "through" it's travel as it hit the base of the jump. *It wanted to pitch the back end high as the car went on over.

I went after the little rise before the jump w/the Bobcat and smoothed out about 30' of bump and now it's a really cool, smooth, non-pitching jump. *You only get about 18" to 2' of air, but you fly about 40'. *It's a fast section that you can hit WFO.

With two of my buddies running around the track as P-Hawk and I worked on it, we were able to dial in things like this little rise/dip/jump and before we left late on Sunday afternoon.

FWIW, I'm going to go to one of the mx tracks at the park, measure out one really killer table top, then copy it on the Lite track.

It's about 5' high and the take off and landing are perfect. *You can come up short and it just rolls you off the edge w/o any drama. *There's a bit of intimidation (which is fine) as you come up to the face of it, as all you can see from the seat is a wall of dirt, but the first time you hit it, you'll realize "Hey, this one's FUN!" *It's the type of setup I'm trying to accomplish for the track.

Dirt - lots and lots of dirt to still be moved. *I won't get out this week, but I'll be spending the better part of next week pushing, moving and piling dirt.

I have to get the bridges in too. *That's going to be loads of fun! * [smilie=strokin.gif]

Bugpac
05-27-2008, 05:49 PM
You cant never get it right out of the box, we been running 196 and hes been changing it for us etc etc, Its not to bad now, a few of the tables have a really short hill at the end, and kinda bounces you off them, the one jump i call the uphill is like you described, "Intimidating" It is built in the hill, so from the approach it looks 15' tall, lol....Saturday i got to were i was using every inch of the outside tuen before the jump so i could go faster, I was hitting it pinned, only getting a foot of air, but was launching 50' or so, maybe less maybe more i didnt measure, But damn was it a rush....Odypilots has more video, But he hasnt shared it with us yet.... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

odypilots
07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Here's a video of this past weekend (07-12-08)at I-96's off road park. It was a mudfest for the first two sessions. We dried it out by running on it enough to bother putting the camera on. I got a couple laps in before mud covered the lens.

http://downhomeracing.com/videos/I-96_playing_in_mud.wmv

slowbriggs
07-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I can hear the sound but see no video?

bc124
07-14-2008, 07:59 PM
It worked for me. Man that looked like fun:D A little mud never hurt anyone. Just a little more work cleaning up afterwards. [smilie=sad.gif] Great video as always.

Bugpac
07-14-2008, 09:25 PM
It was a blast....I hate the mud. once i am muddy Oh well tho, I still wont subject my car to flat out mud bogging tho....:D There is some talk of a little rework on the track, Hopefully it will be sooner than later, as kfab is planning to join us one day this fall....:D

odypilots
07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
It worked for me. Man that looked like fun:D A little mud never hurt anyone. Just a little more work cleaning up afterwards. [smilie=sad.gif] Great video as always.

Yeah I got almost as muddy washing the buggy as when we were riding! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

bazz
07-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Enjoyed your vid Davo,thanks for posting...Baz

odypilots
07-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Another little video of Bugpac at I-96 07-19-08.

http://downhomeracing.com/videos/Bug_at_I-96_07-19-08.wmv

ProtoDie
07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Wow, the track looks real good. Hope to make it out there in the next few weeks to try it out again

dragracer
10-22-2008, 11:46 PM
theres a small track in colorado that allows minis to run in the open class!

odypilots
10-23-2008, 06:58 AM
theres a small track in colorado that allows minis to run in the open class!

More info! Are there any minis running there already?

sandracer1
12-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Wheatland, MO

Is there a track in Wheatland Missouri? What class is it for? I have a Revolt I would like to race. Any info from anyone would be helpful.