PDA

View Full Version : I need technical advice on making a steering setup

Jay1823
09-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Basically i want to know things like what helps reduce bump steer, what helps steering response, what size heims work best, things of that nature. Pics of current steering setups would really help, i'm a visual learner so it would help me alot. Thanks *Jay

K-fab
09-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Wow, that's not an easy thing to cover.

The suspension arms and the steering links all travel in arcs - The length of the arms and steering links are the radii of arcs.

Bump steer results from the arcs that the suspension components travel in. *Usually the upper is shorter than the lower, so you already have introduced a system that doesn't work in parallel. *The steering fits in between the suspension arcs - not necessarily centered between the two suspension arms.

Because all these move on different planes and have a different radius for each arc, you have to work out a system that makes sure that everything keeps the lines of the swinging end of the arcs all the same in relation to each other.

This aspect is just as if you're looking at the front end of the car. *Now throw in the view from the top of the suspension. *The steering rack needs to be set up in a manner that it's not too far forward or backwards of the line that would be between the spindles and where they pivot in the suspension arms. *If you get too far behind (I'm assuming leading steering spindles - where the tie rods are up in front of the spindles), the steering links can bind as you get close to the lock (full deflection left/right). *If you go too far forward, the tie rods can over-rotate the spindles and actually let one of the spindles over rotate as it turns in and lock up your steering.

Do a search on "Rorty AND Steering" or "Rorty AND bump steer" <---- type it in just like the words between the quotes. *Bob does a good job of explaining some of the aspects what moving the steering rack around causes.

Your best bet is once you get the suspension on ready to attach the rack, make a jig that will allow you to move the rack all over the place and cycle the system. *Move the rack around, cycle, move, cycle. *You'll start to see what different locations of the rack will do.

Hope this makes sense...

Jay1823
09-09-2007, 08:12 AM
It does thank you. I'll look up those threads and do some more reading

greasemnky
09-09-2007, 01:17 PM
I hate to say it, the pilot-odyssey board has a lot on this. Check it out, run a search for "bump steer". Not sure if your using atv parts in front, or building your arms. One thing you may want to do, is buy rotys plans or plans from edge. They'll cover the steering and rear ends. That or take measurements and pictures of mine and bugs car, and take the best of both worlds. One thing I would do, make your dog ears bigger than mine, so you get more leverage out of them. You've seen mine has a rather wide turning radius. But as I drive it, I've learned to use the rear wheels to just slide the front end around.