PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket carrier axle?

scuba14c
07-10-2007, 06:48 PM
What is usually used for the axle in the sprocket carrier for these buggies?

RickS.
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Which buggies are you talking about?

Bugpac
07-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Custom, what else!! [smilie=biggrin.gif]

scuba14c
07-11-2007, 04:57 AM
It's a custom design. I just need to know how to connect the CV shafts to the sprocket.

RickS.
07-11-2007, 10:13 AM
This is how I do my center axles.
The shaft is 1 3/8" with 21 splined removable flange on the brake rotor end. the sprocket / cv hub is welded to the opposite end. Sprocket and rotor sandwich mount between the cv's and the cv flanges.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s2/RickS_2nd_Piranha/New%20CV%20Rear/centeraxle001.jpg

plkracer
07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
What are you using for material, and do you find it strong enough?

greasemnky
07-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Rick, who does your machining? I have an open diff. Depending on how it performs at bobs, I may switch it out to a solid rear end.

Rorty
07-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Sprocket and rotor sandwich mount between the cv's and the cv flanges.

Do you machine the sprocket and disc to positively locate them with the flanges and CVs, or do you dowel the whole lot?

RickS.
07-12-2007, 10:17 AM
I don't do either and have never had a problem.
I would also point out that The Edge PIRCV rear has no dowels or pilot bores for the cv's either. Don't you remember we had this discussion before?
I do however use a very tight fit on the sprocket and rotor mount holes.
I have also noticed that before you tighten down the cv bolts there is very little chatter in anything. we are talking only a few thou. *Ask Doug Heim how many of these set-ups he's made. If you keep the mount holes tight It's really not an issue as I see it.

Greasemnky, *I do the machining myself.

Rorty
07-12-2007, 05:44 PM
...The Edge PIRCV rear has no dowels or pilot bores for the cv's either.
That's hardly a recommendation!

Don't you remember we had this discussion before?
Obviously not, but apparently I'm an arrogant prick, so I probably ignored the previous mention of it. *[smilie=mhihi.gif]

As long as you're not getting any movement in the untightened assembly, then, as you say, all should be OK when bolted up tight.

RickS.
07-12-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm not recommending that anyone do anything! *I'm just pointing out the fact that I'm not the only one out there running without the piloted cv's. *And I haven't heard of anyone having problems.

THUMPCRAFT
07-12-2007, 08:31 PM
so you sell that setup and what is the distance from end of cy to other end.

RickS.
07-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Face to face is 7.18" on that axle. I don't sell it, but it is my own design. *It's one of three different cv rear designs that I have. My first design drops into the Edge double a arm rear and replaces the PTO shafts. You can get the drawings for that one for free at
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheEdgeBuggies/ It's in the files section. There is an autocad file or if you can't open that there are 4 bmp files that you should be able to view and print. The second is on Doug Heim's RC51 Piranha. He has built and sold a few of this design. I'm not sure what I will do with this latest design. I want to finish and test it before I do anything.