PDA

View Full Version : Mt Morris Michigan, next tuesday

greasemnky
06-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Anyone who's interested, we'll be going up to Mt Morris next tuesday to do a little testing, and play around. We'll have the VFR750, a Kawasaki 650 Buggy, a modded Blaster and the Banshee with us. Anyone else is welcome to come out. We'll be out there around 10am. We'll take video!

tinman
06-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey grease, I've never heard of Mt Morris. Whats it like? *There's no way I could do it, but I'm a little board with Baldwin and Silver Lake. Took my boy to SL Sunday. I still had fun, but the place gets to seeming smaller every time. So, I'm looking for some other stomping grounds. *Still bussy at work all week, every week. Any thought about that fuel tank? Wait,...that's today. Hope you're having fun! * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *[smilie=banghead.gif]

rxpo
06-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I was going to try to make a trip to Mt. Morris this week (I'm on vacation).
Rick S. said it has pretty rough terrain. *Their web site says it's around 8 acres total.

If I make it over their I'll let you know what it's like...

tinman
06-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Oh well, I'm kinda looking for another Baldwin, maybe U P, eh?

Bugpac
06-12-2007, 09:09 PM
8 acres is the scramble area i believe, your only limited to the scramble area for those certain days, now ruff terrain, isnt that what we have shocks and suspension for.... [smilie=mhihi.gif]

RickS.
06-12-2007, 09:24 PM
I've never been there, but I hear it's gets pretty rutted up. It sees a ton of traffic being so close to the most heavily populated area of the state. Shouldn't be too bad during the week though. I heard a portion of it is closed because they found some rare nesting birds there.
One of the guys at work lives near there and goes quite a bit.

odypilots
06-12-2007, 09:26 PM
The last time I was there was a few years ago, but the main trails were WHOOPS after WHOOPS after WHOOPS. The side trails were in good shape, but a little narrow for even a stock width Pilot. The open field areas, that used to be nice, were all rutted up from 4x4's running in the mud. Bone jarring.

greasemnky
06-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Well, I liked it! Wouldn't kill a whole weekend or anything, but for being just under an hour away, I spent the 60 bucks for the season pass! Great place to go tear up after work or when the misses leaves for a few hours. The trail in is nothing but whoops, but if you run the edges, you can get 3rd gear *[smilie=mhihi.gif] .

The open area's are decent sized, nice little jumps etc created around the "ponds". We had a scramble area all to ourselves, as the mud trucks we're over on the other side of the area. If we had another buggy or two, we could have basiclly done impromtu races if we wanted. There's basiclly a course laid out from the quads.

Its not silver lake or baldwin. But if you want to test something out, or just get dirty for 3 or 4 hours, you can't beat it! 1/2 a tank of gas in the truck there and back, and a few good hours of riding. I liked it for what it was. Its not that rutted or messed up. Even my buddys home built death trap did well. Until the battery died. I think rick's pirhana would have fun out there. Its amazing how much time I can spend doing donuts though.

RickS.
06-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I'll have to try that sometime. *It's only about a half hour from me.

guy48065
06-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Took me a bit to realize you were talking about the Mounds ATV park
http://www.geneseecountyparks.org/mounds.htm

The migratory bird limited access BS ends May 15th.
This time of year you can't go anywhere in the Mounds without getting wet & muddy. *You guys don't get your buggies dirty, do you? *[smilie=mhihi.gif]

It's not a big park but every time I go there I "discover" some nice twisty shady side trail I hadn't seen before. *Nothing is marked and my sense of direction sucks anyway so I might be re-discovering some of these! *LOL *
Me & my corb-owning droogs are usually the only buggies out there but I have run across a Piranha once or twice.

Oh--if you ever plan to go on Sunday be advised the Got Mud? crowd gets there when the gate opens at noon and soon after you can't find a place to park.

greasemnky
06-13-2007, 02:02 PM
LOL, well I'll be making more appearances. And if I go ridding on a sunday it would be upnorth or Silver Lake. So mine will be mid week rides. There were maybe 9 jeeps there and big old dodge, and 2 or 3 quads. A lot of its semi shaded so even being 87 yesterday, you didn't sweat to death. And yesterday at least, very little mud! Most of it was almost sand like. I did eff up and take a trip through a mud puddle though. FUN!!! I have got to put a body on it. If you go during the week ever, message me! They said its open year round? If so, I'll be playing here quite a bit. OH, and we did get lost once. Damn near ended up in a lake/pond. Trail comes around a corner and just ends at the water line!

guy48065
06-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Some of the water holes can surprise you. *Most are shallow and you can just drive right through the middle but there's one long one that's about 18" deep and spring-fed COLD. *Enough to get your butt wet in a small buggy :-) *There's another where the center is deep enough to trap 4WD trucks. *There's no warning--it just drops away and suddenly you're up to your Uni.

I've never gone during the week. *Might have to go in July. *June is blitzed with weekend trips. *Leaving for Silver Lake in the morning.

rxpo
06-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Just got back. *Just like you guy's said above ^^^

There are some serious moguls just about everywhere, and deep rutted roads.
If you want to test your suspension out, this is the place to do it. * [smilie=blink.gif]

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o57/rxpo_photos/Mt.jpg

Hit a small pond on the way out thru the first main trail and got soaked with water/mud. *
The ruts are pretty scary, and not knowing what lies ahead on these trails, I stuck to the scramble area.
Had quite a bit of fun, but couldn't get out of 2nd gear because of the condensed moguls.

2 guys on brand spankin new Polaris 800 RXR's got stuck, one pulled the other out....keep in mind
these are 4wd and have reverse....short travel buggies without reverse gear will have a tuff time.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o57/rxpo_photos/Mt-1.jpg

tinman
06-15-2007, 12:43 AM
That looks about as far away as SL from me anyway. I might try it sometime just for a change.

greasemnky
06-22-2007, 12:39 AM
Jay's got the "new" budget buggy together! So we'll be out at the mounds tomorrow breaking things ;) I started to do a minor repair on the 750 (torn CV boot) only to discover the hub was very close to falling off all together!! Lucky for me, jay has a press. I'll likely need a new bearing before long, since this one has a little sand in it now, but at least I can ride a while longer ;)

If anyone wants to come play, we'll be there around 1pm, and play until dark

Bugpac
06-22-2007, 11:05 AM
well is tommorow today or saturday? To late for me to come today, as i am real close to testing the car...If you want to make plans for next friday, i could probbaly bring my car, I will be testing on sunday at my own track if you want to join, i think im gonna pass on bobs, car is more important right now....

greasemnky
06-22-2007, 11:31 AM
I'll see what the misses has planned for me, otherwise, next friday should work!! Its going to be 90 the first part of the week, so that could work out well. I just got the rear hubs rebuilt, and fixed the tie rod issue.

Question, anyone ever slime their tires?? I found I get sand in my beads. If I run them at 20psi, it doesn't do it, but obviously, thats not real good. If I run my holeshots at 8psi, they go flat from the sand. Just curious. Thanks!

Post video when its done!!

odypilots
06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Question, anyone ever slime their tires?? I found I get sand in my beads. If I run them at 20psi, it doesn't do it, but obviously, thats not real good. If I run my holeshots at 8psi, they go flat from the sand. Just curious. Thanks!

I slime my ice tires where the studs puncture the tread. Slime claims that it doesn't work on bead leaks, but I've heard that some have had luck with it with them, so it may be worth a try.