PDA

View Full Version : Tangotag's Badland

Tangotag
05-11-2007, 10:34 AM
I have been reading much on the site. *I wished that I found this site before I started my project. *Well here it is for the masses.

Gene
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Tango,
Thanks for posting your build and commenting on the site. Leep it coming!

buggito
05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
It's not that bad, mine is behaving ok, I change fews stuffs, few of us have one, PM me if you have any question, just double check the room in the back for the motor and plan in advance, you guys have a nice set up, but memory fail on the name, check the "cabin"size for the seat, If I had to redo it,I will built it with the parts in hand like this I can be sure they fit or have plenty of room.
good luck

renegadespec1
05-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Tangotag,
looks good so far....But I do have a question...Are you builg that in your basement? [smilie=shocker.gif]

ultraman
05-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Looking good tang! I see your in wisconsin.Where bouts? Maybe u can have it ready for dog days.Then we can have a BATTLE OF THE BADLANDS ! *[smilie=mhihi.gif] What do u have planned for the go department?

Rorty
05-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Welcome Tangotag! Can you give us more info on what you're running in this buggy?

Bullnerd
05-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Tangotag,
looks good so far....But I do have a question...Are you builg that in your basement? [smilie=shocker.gif]

What are crazy Spec?Sheeesh.Thats the family room/kitchen. [smilie=rofl.gif]

TutTech
05-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the site and cool to see your build.
Very cool but ya looks like your really tight on space.

Anyways yes please tell us more about it.
Size, engine, anything we would like to hear more about it.

[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Tangotag
05-16-2007, 09:11 AM
The plans call for a motorcycle or sled motor. *I was hoping I would have come across a motor by now but, not yet. *I have no plans for doing anything crazy for speed and looking for around 500cc in motor size. *My kid will be driving it too. *I am going to do something different on the U-joint rear end that the plans call for. *I have a few buddys that are building buggy's too. *Mine will be closest to the Badlands plans. *

The shop that I am building in is used for small machining operations. *We have a smaller CNC mill and a couple of mills, a metal lathe, TIGs, and MIGs. *My buggy so far has been all TIG welded by me. *We bought .065 wall 1.25 tubing HREW so I have no plans for beating the buggy crazy. *We have no dunes, just wooded trails up here. *The engineers that I work with said that we would be just adding weight with thicker walled tubing. *I trusted them on that since they build FAA certified aircraft parts. They said just trust us on this. [smilie=alright.gif]

I have some reinforcement yet to do on the frame then I start my front A-frames and plate work.

ultraman
05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I used a 2 cycle sled engine on the badland i built.It's fast but the 4mpg realy sux.I would recomend a 4cycle sled,bike,or quad engine. A badland with a yamaha raptor engine was on ebay recently.If you can find one that would be a good build.Then you would have e start and reverse.I would recomend reverse on whatever you use since it will be a woods machine.These are long and wide,and i'm sure if you push it backwards a few times, you'll wish you had it. [smilie=biggrin.gif]

renegadespec1
05-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Sled power!!!
Ya man... Where are you in sconni?...Punkin pilot are your brakes dragging ???you gotta be doing better than 4mpg......you should be at least up to 4.5 with rejetting [smilie=mhihi.gif] *[smilie=drool.gif]

Bugpac
05-16-2007, 06:47 PM
i started out rotating the head on mine, F that, clamp it in the vice at the right angle and its good to go, i did find that extreme angles on a long tub, the tube needs to feed in from the front so it doesnt hit the motor....damn i wish my vice rotated.....thats one of the many pieces of tooling i need yet....looks good btw...

Tangotag
05-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Bugpac, we picked up a rotating vice just recently. *The tube that I setup in the picture had just cleared the back of the mill. *I have found lately that it is easier notching on our horizontal mill.

Renegade & Ultraman I am up in Superior, I doubt that I will have the buggy ready for Dog Days. *Too many other projects that have redirected funds. *Although I just finished a heavy duty 20 ton Air Hydraulic H Press.

minibajaman
05-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Welcome to the site. *Finally, someone else that is going to use their buggy in the woods instead of the dunes.

I have found lately that it is easier notching on our horizontal mill.

That's what I was going to suggest. *For single angle cuts the horizontal mill with rotating vise can't be beat. *For compound angles, a multi angle vise on a vertical mill works ok too. *Tilting the head is a pain since it makes it much harder to line everything up.

Buggy is looking good so far, keep up the good work.

Tangotag
02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi fellas I have taken quite a bit of time away from my buggy project. *I still have some other projects to take care of before I can dedicate majority of time for the buggy. *
I have all the crossbracing for the chassis done. *I need to create the A frames next. *The plans seem to have very thin tubing any Badland builders beef up their A Frames? *How? *I also need a cheap but reliable engine suggestion in the 500cc area. *This is for woodland / mud areas so I do not need a massive engine with nitro shock setup.

One project completed my homemade 20 ton Air Hydraulic press way over built.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/tangotag/H-press_done2.jpg

b-boy
03-01-2008, 12:46 AM
I put a raptor 700 engine in mine and it works great. I also have just wood trails in my area so I didn't feel the need for more hp. Fuel injection is great too, no carbs, no jetting, no choke, always starts right up even in cold weather. Two other reasons I put this motor in is the reverse and the chain can go straight down to the sprocket so you can install the motor right over it. Otherwise you might have to stretch the engine section or use a jackshaft set up cause this section is real tight.

b-boy
03-01-2008, 12:51 AM
here are some pics

455bird
03-01-2008, 01:26 AM
b-boy do you think that it would go good out in the sand? I'm going to build a small rail for my boy and thinking of a atv motor

plkracer
03-01-2008, 02:03 AM
It depends on how light the cart will be. A raptor motor in a 600lb car would do pretty well in sand, but wouldn't be scary fast. The raptor engine only puts out 38-42 in stock form, not sure if the 700 is higher. In a 600lb car, which is doable, especially for a smaller rider, it would be similar to the pilot.

Gene
03-01-2008, 11:11 AM
The [url=http://www.speedy-buggy.com/:10koooer]Speed-Buggy[/url:10koooer]uses a 700 Raptor and weighs 600 lBs. San Sportst Jan-Feb issue has an article compating the speedy and Redline. Overall impression i nsand was good although it said that smaller paddles may give better results. Said it lost power quickly climbing dues.

So keep the weight down and don't expect it to do what it is not powered to do - but do it!

Stomper
03-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Nice set up with the tools. Nice build also. Keep the info coming, I can use some help. I to am going to build an badland for the same purpose. Hopefuly get started this summer.

b-boy
03-01-2008, 11:57 PM
b-boy do you think that it would go good out in the sand? I'm going to build a small rail for my boy and thinking of a atv motor

I dont know the exact weight of my ST2 but I was surprisd how quick it is I expected the motor to be a lot slower than it is in a quad but I feel they're is not much difference. It can keep up with most quads on acceleration and top speed also. However, I'd go with a street bike engine to ride in open areas where reverse is rarely needed but an atv engine might be enough for your son anyway depending on his age and ability to drive!
I posted some vids on youtube just make a search under ''Badland ST2'' if you want to see it go.

Tangotag
03-13-2008, 09:42 AM
b-boy
Thanks for posting those inspiring pics. *What is your shock setup in the back? *How much travel do you get from it? *How did you end up assembling the rear drive axle? *Did you use the what the plans called for in the construcion of the A frames?