PDA

View Full Version : Push/Pull FWD shifter

BajAMec63
05-04-2007, 09:09 PM
how would i go about fabricating a push/pull cable set-up for the shifter on a fwd engine/tranny combo? the original shifter was made with a direct linkage to the shifter set-up but doing that could be possible with gears, u-joints, turns, etc.. but would look like crap. ive been told the morse cabes will work but exactly how?

Thanks

Rorty
05-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Most modern Japanese FWD cars have a twin cable gear stick system, so you might get what you want if you pulled the stick and cables out of a wreck. Some even have a nice lock-out for reverse which I've used in my mid-engine road cars.

hero_saku39
05-04-2007, 09:28 PM
You are wanting to shift a fwd transaxle out of a car like it is a sequential gearbox (like a bike)? *All that I have seen, like Bob said, use two cable and have two shift linkages on the trans.......sounds kinda tuff to me. *I can't imagine how you would do it. *Good luck.

BajAMec63
05-04-2007, 11:13 PM
ill try and post pics to show you what im messing with. but yeah two shifters... hmm tricky

hero_saku39
05-05-2007, 09:18 AM
ill try and post pics to show you what im messing with. but yeah two shifters... hmm tricky

Are you trying to shift it like a sequential trans?

BajAMec63
05-05-2007, 09:51 AM
its a 5 spd trans. and i want to shift it like it was in the car before. like a 5 spd pattern. manual tranny with clutch etc..

sequential? ummm i dont think so? just standard shifting like a real car. its got the original tranny from the actual car.

hero_saku39
05-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Gothcha .....what car is the engine/trans out of? *The Geo 1.0? *If you can't get the origional set up (and get longer cables) I would try a Honda shifter "box" and cables and figure how to make it work before spending money on longer cables.

BajAMec63
05-05-2007, 10:53 PM
the thing is its not a cable set-up shift linkage in stock form. its direct shift rods/shafts no cables. solid shaft and bolts up to the tranny shift rod/arm. very tricky

voodoochikin04
09-11-2007, 12:25 PM
my pontiac fiero uses a dual cable shifter, *one cable for the 1, 2, 3, gears, and a cable for the 4, 5, and r, gears. *looks pretty complicated looking at the hookups on the tranny, but ive never disected it.. *might be something you could use. *think of it this way. *with the solid rods like you say, the linkages on the tranny still have to move in a certain direction, just get some cabels and hook them up so it still moves the linkages in the same way, then just figure out your shift pattern.

LiveWire
09-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Ford FWD cars use a solid linkage that I assume is similar. Pushing the shifter forward pulls the single rod back and vice versa. Moving the shifter side to side, rotates the rod. The rod is connected to a stub coming out of the transaxle. To do it with cables, one would push/pull and the other setup to twist the stub. The easiest way would put them at right angles to each other, one cable going directly back and the other going off to one side then curving back. Since you would probably want both cables running next to each other, you could use a bell crank setup on one of the cables to change the direction 90 degrees. I would bet the Fiero setup works something like that which would make it look daunting. A bell crank on the shifter end of the rotate cable would allow the cable to go directly back from the center of the car as opposed to the side. So as you rock the shifter left and right, the bell crank causes a fore/aft motion. On the trans end it would be connected to a lever on the stub. The cable would curve over the top of the trans and face down. The cable to move the stub in/out would connect directly to the bottom of the shifter so as you move it fore/aft, the cable will move in/out. To route it the same as the other cable over the top of the trans then down to the stub without making a big loop, you'd need a bell crank to convert up/down to fore/aft.

Rorty
09-11-2007, 06:16 PM
This is how I got around it on one of my mid-engined builds:
http://www.rorty-design.com/images/VW%20gear%20linkage.jpg