PDA

View Full Version : Honda Radiator

SeufererMotorsports
04-25-2007, 11:24 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used a Honda Civic radiator on there buggies? I was wondering how that works? I think it would but am not 100% sure. They also seem larger and I have been finding them on ebay for around $100. I just want to know some oppinons on that before I go that route.

ultraman
04-26-2007, 12:15 AM
I think some guys doing sled engine swaps are useing them in their pilots with good results.

amergin
04-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Pitstop USA has sprint car style radiators at good prices. http://www.pitstopusa.com/Categories.aspx?ID=3364

Also SpeedParts (mini-srpint/dwarf) has FOV radiators for $249. Little bit cheaper then PWR or other name brand aluminum radiators.

Do a search on the forum for "civic AND radiator" for a few results on the Civic idea.

Might want to call the guy in this thread http://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?na ... pic&t=2052 (http://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2052)

flyerrider
04-26-2007, 12:27 AM
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIVIC-DEL-SOL-92-00-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-D15-D16-D17-92-93_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33602QQihZ009QQitemZ 190105153761:1ktkaiz4]Ebay link[/url:1ktkaiz4]

I just bought one the other day. *It looks really nice and for $56 you can't beat the price. *If I was going to have a custom one made I would have had it done pretty much to these dimensions.

amergin
04-26-2007, 12:37 AM
There you go... How the hell do they make money selling them so cheap?

flyerrider
04-26-2007, 12:54 AM
Bulk maybe? *Or the fact that the Del Sol is pretty much one of the ugliest cars around. *No kid wearing white Addidas, gold chain, a huge rist watch, and a sideways, flat billed, Yankee's hat is going to want to trick out a Del Sol with a sick alu radiator, sweet ass primer grey plastic body fairings, the Pep Boys Special $79 carbon fiber look-a-like wing, *and a 19" exhaust tip that sounds like a pissed off V1 coming in over London. *Itz got no style homes!!!! *Hence...... cheap, overstocked, radiators that nobody wants except for a few, resourceful, minibuggy builders [smilie=biggrin.gif]

K-fab
04-26-2007, 05:35 AM
the Pep Boys Special $79 carbon fiber look-a-like wing
So that's where I can get one of those wings for my short course car! *I've been wondering. *[smilie=boogie.gif]

bdkw1
04-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Yo, Yo, Yo, Don't be bagin on My Delsol......

railcrzy
05-05-2007, 01:32 PM
i have one on my car.
It still gets hot.
Im looking into putting an oil cooler.
larry

flyerrider
05-05-2007, 02:16 PM
What size motor? *I'm a little suprised. *Are you using it for sand or desert? *Where is it located and does it have direct airflow or are you just relying on the fan?

flyerrider
05-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Also, I forgot to take a picture but there was a Del Sol that matched my EXACT description parked by my house. *When I saw it I couldn't help but laugh [smilie=biggrin.gif]

railcrzy
05-08-2007, 03:18 PM
im using the car in the sand, so there is a lot to ask of it.
As far as the radiator it sits sideway and pretty much count on the fan. It has a scoop on the side to direct air flow but i dont think that is as good as direct flow
http://flickr.com/photos/32634836@N00/304472441/
larry

Hoss
06-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Im running a 583cc rotax in my odyssey. Im using a radiator out of a 94 Honda Civic, the motor never runs over 120 degrees. I bought it brand new from NAPA for $89. I run a puller fan also.

greasemnky
06-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I've been racing civics for years, I actually own 4. I have issues. Anyhow, the stocker runs roughly 3/4 of an inch (inside). You can get decent aftermarket units off ebay that run 1.25-1.50 inside. I've actually got one that I'm going to swap onto my buggy, their fully polished, and the dimensions are perfect. If your still running hot, you can get a radiator like the one in my SCCA car. Its a dual core, 3in radiator. Outside dimensions are the same as a stocker.

Plus stock fans mount to the rear with four mounting holes. Best way to put it on a buggy, is to use those holes for your mounting brackets, then get a flex lite or similar fan that mounts through the fins. Makes for a real clean cheap install. A stocker will be close, since the flow is so slow, but a good fan, and the 1.5 or larger core, and you'll be in great shape.

minibajaman
05-20-2008, 10:08 PM
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIVIC-DEL-SOL-92-00-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-D15-D16-D17-92-93_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33602QQihZ009QQitemZ 190105153761:3p9534oc]Ebay link[/url:3p9534oc]
I just bought one the other day. *It looks really nice and for $56 you can't beat the price. *If I was going to have a custom one made I would have had it done pretty much to these dimensions.
flyerrider that link doesn't work anymore, what brand / seller radiator was it?

I think I am going to go with the ebay Civic or Del Sol radiator route for my buggy with a Polaris 440 sled engine. *They are cheap enough and plenty large enough. *I'm just trying to decide which one to get. *I was looking at these since they come with fans:
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__CXRacing-Radiator-Civic-Del-Sol-B-Series-Slim-12-fan_W0QQitemZ330235718375QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20Acces soriesQQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20Acce ssoriesQQddiZ2811QQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m330235718375&:3p9534oc]First Ebay radiator[/url:3p9534oc]
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__92-95-Honda-Civic-Racing-Aluminum-Radiator-Thin-Fan-12_W0QQitemZ290231308624QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20Access oriesQQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20Acces soriesQQddiZ2811QQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 290231308624&:3p9534oc]Second ebay radiator[/url:3p9534oc]

Does anyone else that has used a Civic radiator from ebay want to share their experience? *Greasemnky?

flyerrider
05-21-2008, 12:13 AM
The first one looks to be the exact same as the one in my buggy. *I would try to find one without the fan and spend a little extra cash on a Spal fan because I know cheap fans like that do not like off roading. *My buddy went through 3 Chinese Ebay fans on his Subi powered Bug before spending the money on the Spals. *Then again, at that price you might as well try it

minibajaman
05-22-2008, 11:19 AM
I think I will get one with the fan since it's pretty cheap anyway, and if the fan breaks I will get a decent Spal fan. *I don't anticipate needing the use the fan for anything other than extended idling anyway.

How did you reduce the hose size down to fit your engine? *Just run a short section of hose off the radiator with one of those hose reducers? *Do you think it would be possible to cut off the existing radiator hose ports and weld on new ones of the right size?

plkracer
05-22-2008, 12:30 PM
I had a radiator shop cut off the large ones and weld on new spouts. Only costed 40 dollars and I felt that it was better than having to hassle with finding reducers or risk having them blow. They also put on the other needed fittings for the oil cooler and air bleed line.

brandon
05-22-2008, 02:45 PM
I have bought two of these I used one on a kubota tractor and one on a buggy they are very thick metal and are solid great buy .The reason they can sell them so cheap is they are not pressure check and both radiators had leaks but as long as you have a tig welder no problem they cool great

minibajaman
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
I have bought two of these I used one on a kubota tractor and one on a buggy they are very thick metal and are solid great buy .The reason they can sell them so cheap is they are not pressure check and both radiators had leaks but as long as you have a tig welder no problem they cool great

Thanks for the info brandon. *Were the leaks in the weld joints or in the heat exchanger itself? *Which specific brand did you buy? *Although most look identical anyway.

plkracer
05-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I got a mishimoto radiator for a civic, and I am pleased. It was a little more, I think it was 150 shipped, but it was leak tested, and it is guaranteed for a year. I am happy with it, it has a billet neck, and all the welds look clean.

minibajaman
05-22-2008, 04:32 PM
I did look at the Mishimoto radiators and they do look better but I can't find them for under $200 shipped anywhere. *That is double the cost of the others. *For $150 it would be worth it.

Bugpac
05-22-2008, 04:44 PM
I think I will get one with the fan since it's pretty cheap anyway, and if the fan breaks I will get a decent Spal fan. *I don't anticipate needing the use the fan for anything other than extended idling anyway.

How did you reduce the hose size down to fit your engine? *Just run a short section of hose off the radiator with one of those hose reducers? *Do you think it would be possible to cut off the existing radiator hose ports and weld on new ones of the right size?

you will be extremely surprised, My fan will turn on mid flight...

plkracer
05-22-2008, 04:51 PM
I did look at the Mishimoto radiators and they do look better but I can't find them for under $200 shipped anywhere. *That is double the cost of the others. *For $150 it would be worth it.

Prices of this stuff has gone up drastically. If they are in the buy it now, you can do a best offer thing. I got mine for like 30 bucks less.

If you want it, just offer them something ridiculously low just to try.

minibajaman
05-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Prices of this stuff has gone up drastically. If they are in the buy it now, you can do a best offer thing. I got mine for like 30 bucks less.

If you want it, just offer them something ridiculously low just to try.

Good idea plkracer. *I just got the Mishimoto for $140 shipped! *I think I should have offered even less, but oh well. *The Mishimoto definitely looks to be much better quality than the really cheap ones, and I don't want to worry about it leaking like in Brandon's experience. *Now I just gotta get a fan, anyone have any suggestions on that? *I'll need a thermostatic switch as well, what/where is a good place for that?

plkracer
05-23-2008, 01:13 PM
I got a fan for free, heh. My uncle rebuilds cadillacs, and has a bunch of busted setups, so I'm just going to take the fan out of one, and keep the good side of the housing. I was going to use a summit fan. Spal's are the best, but they also cost the most. For a switch I'm using the capillary tube one. It is cheaper, and I won't need a port for the thermostat. It's got the little metal tank that goes in the radiator then a little line that goes to the switch. It is also adjustable for use with these hotter engines.