PDA

View Full Version : no spark

Vanet
04-14-2007, 11:35 PM
I have a dirt bike with cd ignition and no spark when kicked over. Is there a way to trouble shoot these cdi ignitions or do you just start replacing things until it works. Thanks Van

Bugpac
04-15-2007, 05:59 AM
check all the safety parts first, ie kill switch and such! then buy you a new cdi...

Vanet
04-15-2007, 01:50 PM
thats what I thought. I have chesked the kill switch etc and everthing seems to be in order, no loose connections so I guess it is time to get another cdi.

K-fab
04-15-2007, 01:55 PM
check all the grounds - especially where they go to the frame. *Check to see that the wire in the connector is still making contact w/the connector - the like to break the wires off inside the insulation there - you can't see it very well sometimes.

renegadespec1
04-15-2007, 05:17 PM
If you have a good dealer they will have a TEST BOX to loan you there is only 2 wires to the cdi box one power out of the motor...and a wire to a kill switch... unplug the wire to the kill switck if no spark plug in the test box and test...
[smilie=biggrin.gif] or you could put your tongue on the hot wire coming out of the motor and have somebody kick it over [smilie=biggrin.gif] *[smilie=biggrin.gif] *[smilie=biggrin.gif] that will tell you if there is power to the CDI *[smilie=dancing.gif] or ask the dealer if has a test CDI box [smilie=drool.gif]

Vanet
04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
closest dealer or repair facility is 250 mi away. I do know a guy who owns a rhino and has actually thought of buying another, *locally, who might be up for the toungue thing. [smilie=boogie.gif]

renegadespec1
04-16-2007, 01:32 PM
[smilie=blowkiss.gif]

Reflex
04-16-2007, 02:06 PM
My 250 Yam suddenly didnt have any spark, after A LOT of time spent trying to find out what was wrong, it turned out to be the ignitor inside the flywheel..

Vanet
04-17-2007, 10:18 AM
That sounds expensive [smilie=banghead.gif]

masterfabr
04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
check all the grounds - especially where they go to the frame. *Check to see that the wire in the connector is still making contact w/the connector - the like to break the wires off inside the insulation there - you can't see it very well sometimes.Been bit by that bug before!Use a small probe on both sides of the connector so as not to damage it and check for continuity through the connector also.