PDA

View Full Version : diirk's Rhino

diirk
03-29-2007, 12:22 PM
I thought we could start a few new threads in here for individual Rhinos....

Current Mods:

Modified So Cal Fab 2 seat cage with candy red pc
Desertworks doors
Bilstein coil-overs
JetTrim Seats
Baja Designs Fuego HID's
ITP reverse offset wheels with Terracross tires
DJ Safety 3x3 5 pt harnesses
PDS seat pans and harness mounts
BRP Guage modular switch/guage panel with voltage guage
Oddessy Battery
Clarion Marine Stereo w/ IPOD interface
Pro Armor front bumper and skid
CVT Filterskin

Planned Mods:

AFE Intake
Jetting
Exhaust
KMS Sheave

amergin
03-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Nice Diirk, the mods have already made a huge difference. Headed in the right direction.

diirk
03-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks. We're really happy with it so far. Just needs ALOT more power..... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

MC@ Performance Fab
05-05-2007, 04:18 PM
I took my first ride in a rhino two weeks ago at glamis. Was out testing the new car with some friends and their kids have two rhinos. Was suprised they duned as fast as they did, they are box stock and the back did kick on sharp bumps. I picked up one today(belongs to a friend) to use for jigging that has the arms, shocks, seats, cage etc. I drove it around the neighborhood to get a feel for how they work. Was surprised at how heavy the steering is, also a good bit of torque steer. Are they like this stock or does the kits enhance this?

Monte

diirk
05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
The LT kits definately affect the Rhino's steering. Even a reverse offset wheel makes a huge difference. I can't say I've noticed any torque steer, so I'd recommend checking the fluid in the diffs. Even in 4x4, I haven't noticed any torque steer. It's actually kind of funny, I don't think they make enough torque to matter.

What are you making a jig for? I'm always happy to test out parts. I'm currently looking at making some +3,+1 a-arms for mine. I figure a mid-travel kit should be a pretty decent compromise for our intended uses.

MC@ Performance Fab
05-08-2007, 02:35 PM
When i put jack stands under it i found the spindle on the right was loose and could move quite a bit so that might account for the steering. It really wants to push the front tires and straighten the steering input under throttle.

The weight on these things when someone adds the aftermarket parts really affects the performance. Not a whole lot of power to begine with.
Im going to build front and rear bumpers out of aluminum. Aluminum is 1/3 the weight of steel so there is no weight penalty. Am also looking into making the skid plates out of a better-harder grade of aluminum and droping the thickness to get a stronger lighter part. Arms are on the list also but after the aluminum. The longer travel arms with stock mounting locations has some less than great camber curves.

diirk
05-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Weight is a huge issue on these. So are the tires/wheels. A lot of folks are going with 14" wheels and 26-27" tires. Way to much for these. Stick with the stock size tire diameter and don't go too wide either. A lightweight tire/wheel combo certainly wouldn't hurt either. Aluminum bumpers are a good idea, as would be an aluminum light bar. I swapped out to aluminum seat pans which probably didn't save me any weight, but did lower and move my seats out and back about an inch all around. Other products that would be popular are some double shear harness mounts and some type of bolt-on mount for a submarine belt.

TutTech
05-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Hey your rhino looks great I will have to show it to my brother.
He loves to drive his in the local desert where I live and in the mountains by his house.

Then he takes it to Glamis every trip with us and the buggies and a group of them meet up with us at the hills etc.

They do great and are a blast my brother and his wife love it.

Anyways looks great well done.

[smilie=biggrin.gif]

diirk
05-13-2007, 03:41 PM
You guys should come out for the Rally this year. Check out the website at http://www.socalrally.net.

TutTech
05-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Looks cool and Ridgecrest is not that far from my house...
I will let me Brother know.
[smilie=biggrin.gif]

diirk
05-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Excellent. There should be a ton of Rhinos there, and we had some great sponsors last year and gave away a bunch of Rhino stuff for the raffle.

MC@ Performance Fab
05-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Roughly how far from Escondido To the Rally ?

bdkw1
05-16-2007, 07:37 PM
About 30 min past Barstow.

diirk
05-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Mapquest says it's about 180 miles from Escondido. We have others coming up from Ramona and San Diego. There's always the opportunity to caravan.