PDA

View Full Version : The white RR

guy48065
03-25-2007, 12:40 AM
A turnkey section? *Cool idea. *Not everybody is handy with a welder. *OK I have a Hobart 180 and I'm learning...

I don't think most RR owners change much on their buggy. *There's not much that needs to be improved. *Still, I like to tinker and won't be leaving it alone. *Much was done by/for Diirk before I bought it so that didn't leave me much to improve on.
Mods to this RR:
Ported intake & exhaust
RR custom muffler (similar to a Flowmaster Delta-flow)
Heelclicker clutch
Power Commander injector controller...dyno tuned at RR in Idaho
Unneeded front-drive gears removed from trans to lessen friction/lighten mass
Appearance & equipment changes:
Added a winch, horn
Dyed seats
Made a snap-off "hood"
Removed top rack & installed Trail Tech lights upside-down
Made front fenders & mount. *Still thinking about rear fenders...

A little about me, little about why I chose a RR.

I joined last September when I was looking into buying Diirk's RR. *I finally received it in October. *Thanks to winter I haven't had much seat time yet but lately I've been prepping it for the nicer weather that's coming. *I live in the "thumb" of Michigan and I have several acres of trails behind my property that I ride. *Most of my riding is on wooded trails so I needed a skinny buggy and wanted 2 seats. *I've owned a couple different 150cc china buggies since '04 and they're great for trail cruising but not enough power. *Besides the RR there aren't any other powerful 2-seat narrow minis that are suited to woods trails. *At 56" wide it's not legal for the 50" Michigan ATV trails but it DOES fit. *Took a December trip to the ATV trails in Mio, MI and had a blast on the hill climb at Bull Gap and on the muddy trails. *I went with a friend and his 14 year old son. *They are both experienced 2-wheelers. *The RR came in handy as an ambulance when the boy hit some slimy mud and hit a tree. *The impact to the tire snapped his arm behind the wrist so that ended the planned ride for the day. *I shuttled him out of the woods and brought a good samaritan back to retrieve his bike while his dad rode in the ambulance to the hospital.

UncleDick
03-26-2007, 09:59 AM
guy48065,
Good work on your buggy.
I've had my RR on the 50" trails in Utah (Paiute ATV Trail) and it fit there too. I did manage to damage a rear tire on ruts and rocks in some narrow sections though. The only place I had trouble was with cow crossing gates as they are made for 50" ATV's.

My Buggy in Utah, Spring 06.

hansshanks
04-02-2007, 08:09 PM
if you ride in the mudd regularly the best investment is body skins and rear fenders. or the oversized dexk to catch the mud on the way up.

guy48065
04-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I'll be cladding the chassis in front of my feet but that's to keep water from rushing in on stream crossings. *The front fenders do a great job keeping crud out of my face but I really need rear fenders to keep mud from spewing everywhere. *I can hang fenders from the cargo deck but I'd prefer mounting to the spindles so they stay near the tires but there's very little room in the wheel dish for a mount.

diirk
04-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Lookin good! I like the new colors for the upholstery and a-arms.

guy48065
04-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks Diirk. *Been thinking about black anodizing the diamond plate to further darken the buggy--but that might cost more than I want to spend on cosmetics.

diirk
04-04-2007, 11:02 PM
It'd be cheaper and more durable to rhinoline it.

Ecoli_happens
04-05-2007, 02:06 PM
deleted

minibajaman
04-05-2007, 06:36 PM
guy, can you post a close up pic of that front fender and how it's mounted? *Did you make them or buy them from some place? *I want to put some fenders on my buggy and am not sure what the best route is short of getting some custom molded plastic ones.

guy48065
04-05-2007, 07:12 PM
No problem. *The fenders are cut from a black poly drum. *I left a small amount of the bottom radius to add strength and hold shape. *The big 55 gal. drum still had a smaller radius than the tire so I used a torch to heat *it and reshape it by hand (with gloves). *

The mount is a piece of 1.5 x 1.5 x 1/4 angle. *The upper BJ stud is long enough to use it as the front attachment. *The steering arm is 1/2" lower but parallel so I used a longer bolt and a spacer. *Arms are 3/8" steel rod and pass thru an oblong hole in the angle and welded to the top and side. *Fenders attach to the arms with rubber-coated 3/8" wire clamps.

guy48065
04-05-2007, 07:23 PM
finally:

dcm700
09-09-2007, 06:31 PM
i dont know if you know, but under your mod list i did not see a cam selection. your other mods seem great, and a Hot Cam MB2 or Hot Seat GF cam will really wake it up. for what you do with your RR i would choose the Hot Cam. No core charge and easy on your valve train, and great low end. * * *No I dont own a RR but this is my third twin cylinder polaris atv.

Man i like those RRs

guy48065
09-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Well it came with a Hot Seat sticker...LOL *I don't recall Diirk saying if there was a cam in there. *Diirk??