PDA

View Full Version : Required Amber Running light....

dune
03-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Well The Rorty car is ready to go minus a rear amber and brake light. Would like some pics and info of whats required for a typical SCORE or other race class rear light setup. I know the Rorty car will not qualify for a SCORE event but maybe some other lights class or something somewhere. Regardless, I'd like the rear lights to resemble a typical race setup. Even if I'm racing myself.... [smilie=biggrin.gif] *

K-fab some help would be great

anyone?....

Rorty
03-20-2007, 11:47 PM
I can't help you with the SCORE regs, (I'm sure K-fab or bdkw (sp?) or one of the other racer guys can), but whether anyone intends racing or just playing follow-the-leader through the dust, it's essential to run an amber light on the rear of the car.

In a similar vein, if you are running in dusty conditions, get a few amber replacement lenses for your goggles as they will help you see through the dust better than plain clear lenses. I used to buy quality optical grade amber Lexan lenses from an aftermarket supplier, but I can't remember who it was. It may have been from an ad in the back of a magazine.
It gets extremely dusty in Australia and the amber goggle lenses along with the amber lights of the cars in front (that you're about to lap!) make a real difference.

K-fab
03-21-2007, 06:18 AM
Minimum of 35 watts facing rearward.

Let me do a little research (not had my coffee yet) and I'll get back to this thread w/some suggestions.

They make a big difference in the dirt - once you see one through the dust, you lock on and that's all you watch until you get up on the car and can actually see what's making the dust in front of you.

K-fab
03-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Ahhh, coffee good!

[url=http://mckenzies.com/images/Catalog/McKenzies_07_Catalog_v1.pdf:3b592sc7]McKenzie's[/url:3b592sc7] site (just a PDF for the moment - they keep telling me the "new and improved site is coming).

Check page 104 of the PDF file (it's actually page 94 of the catalog).

On the old Dez, I run a Lazer Star with a 55w halogen and an amber lens. *It's a 2.25" diameter light and not SCORE legal

SCORE book - CR18 Lights (page 27) - get your SCORE book at McKenzie's, it will save you a couple bucks versus purchasing it from SCORE. *Go figure.

Anyhow, here's the paragraph:
All four-wheel vehicles must have a rearward facing amber colored light. *Amber light must be at least 3" diameter and DOT approved. *This light must be connected to the ignition and remain on during the race. *The bulb must be 25 to 55 watts, or LED with equivalent lumens as long as it has an amber colored lens. *The lens must be coated deep amber. *The light must be mounted at least 48" off the ground. *The light must be visible from any position aft of the vehicle and must be protected from damage in case of roll over. *They want the light to be on any time the car moves - it's not allowed to be on a separate switch.

A lot of the guys use the oval light setup - take a look about 1/3 the way down the page on the right side under KDL Lighting. *The problem with these type of lights is that you have to make a box or panel/plate to mount them in. *They snap into a rubber gasket that is mounted in the box/panel. *Done right, it can look pretty cool, though. *I'm thinking I'll probably do a panel that fits between the upper side of the radiator and the bottom of the roll cage and put my tail/brake and amber & blue lights in that.

In the picture below, you can see where the light on the old car is mounted - on the new car, this is where the panel will probably go with oval lights.

BITD also wants a blue rear facing light with similar DOT, size and lumens output.

CBRhino
03-21-2007, 12:26 PM
ok......we run BITD, and here is what we have for that series......

Two rear red running lights/brake lights......on our rhino, our actual stock rear tail lights are our running and brake lights, so we didn't need to buy those......then, you have to have two amber lights - one blinking, one steady. *Then one steady blue light to signal a slower moving *vehicle........we built a light bar and mounted the two amber lights on each side of the blue light.

We used LED lights for the Amber lights.......and a 50watt blue light from KC........

The LED lights I searched for and bought off of a trucking website online - $30 each for the harness and everything.........if you buy them from offroad places, you can wind up paying alot more......mine are the 6 inch oval lights with black rubber gaskets..........

bdkw1
03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
The LED's that everyone's useing are very hard to see in the dust. The amber Pia's or Hella's are much more visable. The up side to the LED's are that they don't burn out and use much less current.

Rorty
03-21-2007, 04:09 PM
I agree with bdkw1 about the LEDs; they last a long time, but are nowhere near as good as filament bulb lights.

The ones I used were sealed truck indicator lights which mounted in a vibration-proof rubber gasket which in turn mounted in a pre-cut plate. The manufacturers were so emphatic their lamps were indestructible that they guaranteed them for life!

I actually used one of the brake/indicator combo units for my brake and dust light and they survived everything *my buggy went through without failure.

boilermaker
03-21-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't know, but i heard that the Third Brake light( the one up high in the midle thats so bright that you can't see past the car in front of you to tell what the cars in front of them is doing) I was told its LED, so maybe use these.

dune
03-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys. This will help allot.