PDA

View Full Version : Announcing the new Rorty R16 Shotgun.

Rorty
01-31-2007, 01:08 AM
The word "shotgun" has been used since coaching days to describe the seat beside the driver where the shotgun-wielding guard sat. This is the sixteenth non-contracted two-seater buggy I've designed and in view of it being aimed fairly and squarely at the American market, I thought it fitting to give it the name Shotgun.

It looks just like the R82s, right? Well maybe on the surface it does, in the same way that all BMW and Porsche cars look the same. The Shotgun doesn't share a single item with the R82s with the exception of the optional R5 type cassette drive.

The main structure of the Shotgun's chassis is constructed from 1.5" tube as opposed to 1.25" tube of the earlier buggies. This provides an immensely strong chassis and surprisingly (and more importantly to most), the material is actually cheaper than 1.25" tube. The larger diameter tube will make the Shotgun eligible to enter a variety of race series in the US and other countries too.

I'm still in the process of preparing parts and materials lists and writing the instructional text for the manual, but keep an eye on this thread for the release date of the new Shotgun manual.

I've included some pictures of the new design for the members here as promised. I have omitted items such as the fuel cell, bulkheads, floor and steering wheel so you can better see the guts of it.

You'll probably notice the RPM FNR in the rear end. This is the first time I have designed the rear end of a car around Dan Roberto's excellent reverse box. There are also options of the R4 (non-jackshaft) type cassette and the R5 type cassette which will allow people to choose a drive system to suit their budget. Full mounting of all three drives will be covered in the manual.

I have cut down on custom manufactured parts which will make it easier for those without metalworking machinery to assemble their buggy. For the diehard machinists out there, drawings of all the "off-the-shelf" parts are fully covered in the manual so they can be fabricated by the average hobbyist too.

The front hubs for instance are a type of "combo" hub which are available from a number of sources, but they can also be made from the drawings in the manual. The rear hubs are what have been causing me (and to an extent, bugpac) a lot of grief. There are many "930 micro stub and hub kits" on the market, but when examined carefully, their usually custom parts which monopolises the market and drives up the component prices.

With the lighter duty stuff, what are widely suspected to be Chevy S10 hubs are in fact, custom ordered hubs, virtually identical to the S10 units, but with some little detail altered so when a replacement is wanted (or someone wants to purchase a hub for their buggy at eBay prices), they'll get a nasty shock when the stock S10 unit wont fit. I didn't want my customers to be stung with pricey custom parts, so I eventually managed to source a supply of 930 micro stubs and stock S10 hubs. The rear wheel adapters and hub caps are the only parts of the drive train that can't be bought over the counter.

There are of course inevitably going to be a number of custom parts in a vehicle such as this and to that end, I'm working to have all the custom parts produced in the US for purchase. All the details will be contained in the manual.

I'll announce the full specs, pricing and the actual release date of the manual very soon.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/Shotgun/2b4185b2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/Shotgun/f30f06ef.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/Shotgun/f30f06ef-1.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/Shotgun/eb045960.jpg

Bedo
01-31-2007, 02:01 AM
nice, very nice. *when will the manual be available? *what engine would you recommend for this? *do you know roughly what it may weigh? how much will it cost to build? *how much are the plans?
you do good work, rorty. *good looking buggy. *[smilie=bow.gif]

Vanet
01-31-2007, 11:23 AM
no offence intended rorty but it looks very heavy. Especially with 1.5 in tubing. * * * * * * * *[smilie=dunno.gif]

Gene
01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Outstanding! Love the suspension. Also I percieve a bit of inward tilt at the sideof the car to the top of the cage. This will have Dune drooling like Pavlov's dog.

Vanet, larger diameter tubing does not necessarily mean heavier since it depends on wall thickness and where you use thin vs thicker material.

Rorty - what is the projected weight difference and will it have 1.5 suspension components too?

I want one . . . gonna have one . . . or at least a set of plans!

tenaja
01-31-2007, 12:44 PM
no offence intended rorty but it looks very heavy. Especially with 1.5 in tubing. * * * * * * * *[smilie=dunno.gif]

1.5" x .093" wall tubing is lighter AND stronger than 1.25" x .12" wall tubing.

tenaja
01-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Rorty--
got any basic specs for us, like wheelbase, track & length?

I like it...can I pre-order?

bdkw1
01-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Wheeeeee, fun with paint! Since Yoshis busy, I'll play devils advocate.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/bdkw1/2b4185b2.jpg

Rorty
01-31-2007, 02:08 PM
1.5" x .093" wall tubing is lighter AND stronger than 1.25" x .12" wall tubing.
You will journey far, Grasshopper. http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/happy/Fu_Manchu.gif

Nominal 101.5" wheelbase
Nominal 75" track
Overall length 140"
18" - 22" suspension travel (depending on options)

Rorty
01-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Ooops! Tenaja, thanks for the offer, but there's no need to pre-order. I think the price will be pretty close to that of the R82s, but all will be revealed shortly.

Rorty
01-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Outstanding! Love the suspension. Also I percieve a bit of inward tilt at the sideof the car to the top of the cage. This will have Dune drooling like Pavlov's dog.

Vanet, larger diameter tubing does not necessarily mean heavier since it depends on wall thickness and where you use thin vs thicker material.

Rorty - what is the projected weight difference and will it have 1.5 suspension components too?

I want one . . . gonna have one . . . or at least a set of plans!
Thanks for the kind words Gene. I haven't done any weight differential calcs yet, but I will have it all in the specs soon. I don't predict it will be any heavier than the R82s.

Suspension is all 1.25" tube.

Bullnerd
01-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Looks great Mr. Rorty.

Does the new front susp. design reduce legroom ?

Did you lengthen the chassis to compensate?

Very thorough as usual.

throttle
01-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Rorty, that's great! *When will you have the same update for the R6?

matchew
01-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Nice design...I'll build that one next! [smilie=bow.gif]

hero_saku39
01-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Since it is aimed fairly squarely at the US will the plans be SAE or metric? *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Rorty
01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Looks great Mr. Rorty.

Does the new front susp. design reduce legroom ?

Did you lengthen the chassis to compensate?

Very thorough as usual.
Thanks Bull. Legroom has not suffered. As you surmised, the wheelbase has been extended.

Rorty
01-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Rorty, that's great! *When will you have the same update for the R6?
Again, thanks. The Stiletto (the R6 successor) is a little way behind the Shotgun. I concentrated my efforts on the Shotgun as two-seaters have become my biggest seller recently. I'm committed to a fairly major project, but as time permits, I'll complete the Stiletto ASAP. You'll be the first to know. *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Rorty
01-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Since it is aimed fairly squarely at the US will the plans be SAE or metric? *[smilie=biggrin.gif]
SAE? That's pushing my limits! *[smilie=biggrin.gif] Don't worry, it's all dual-dimensioned (fractional inch and metric), so people from all states of the US can read it. *[smilie=boogie.gif]

tenaja
01-31-2007, 05:30 PM
[quote="tenaja\";p=\"27647":lwq0vh4f]1.5" x .093" wall tubing is lighter AND stronger than 1.25" x .12" wall tubing.
You will journey far, Grasshopper. http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/happy/Fu_Manchu.gif

Nominal 101.5" wheelbase
Nominal 75" track
Overall length 140"
18" - 22" suspension travel (depending on options)[/quote:lwq0vh4f]

Uh, oh... my trailer might not hold that; I think 120" is the max, except allowing for some between the fridge & oven...how much of it is the bumper in front of the front edge of the tires?

tenaja
01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Hey, Rorty, when you turn your Shotgun CAD files into a PDF file, can you put the drawings on landscape? My R82s pdf files have them them portrait, so the top half of every page is empty, and the drawings print 1/2 size. (Maybe you've updated this...? Do you have any R82 updates?)

KWiKSand
01-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Can't you just hit the rotate button in Adobe? *Or Print to Portrait? * Maybe I am misunderstanding?

Rorty
01-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Uh, oh... my trailer might not hold that; I think 120" is the max, except allowing for some between the fridge & oven...how much of it is the bumper in front of the front edge of the tires?

You could tweak both ends of the chassis a little bit, but you'll not be able to lose 20" I'm afraid.

Rorty
01-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Can't you just hit the rotate button in Adobe? *Or Print to Portrait? * Maybe I am misunderstanding?
That's the way to do it - just hit rotate to view them in landscape.

The reason for plotting the drawings in portrait is so they print to the maximum size.

The Shotgun manual is going to be in an even larger format - A3 (double the previous size). This means some of the parts will fit full scale onto a page. If desired, I can also send the files directly to your local print shop and you can then simply walk in and collect the printed A3 manual.

tenaja
01-31-2007, 07:52 PM
I don't think you understand. The files SHOULD be on the page in landscape, but aren't. If I rotate the page, as suggested, then I'll have the drawing sideways, but still lots of empty paper. I've tried everything I know of with Acrobat Reader, and so far, the only thing I could find was to zoom in on each portion of the page that contains the drawing, and print Display, rather than the page... and I had to do that manually for each page.

Here's a snapshot of my Adobe Reader screen--obviously reduced for size, but you can see the drawing with lots of empty paper around it. The gray above and below the page indicate the page separations.
http://www.rcfaq.com/minibuggy/dwg_layout.jpg

hero_saku39
01-31-2007, 08:07 PM
What kind of pictures am I gonna have to take of myself to win a set of these plans???? [smilie=blush.gif]

K-fab
01-31-2007, 08:13 PM
ROFLMAO!!! *[smilie=bow.gif]

They won't be able to be seen on this site....

THUMPCRAFT
01-31-2007, 10:29 PM
I know it is not your information to give out and it you may not want to anyway, but I would love to model a rpm box for my solidworks designed buggy. Can you give out some box specs, shaft dimensions, and mounting specs for this box? Or maybe danno could supply this?

Rorty
01-31-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't think you understand. The files SHOULD be on the page in landscape, but aren't. If I rotate the page, as suggested, then I'll have the drawing sideways, but still lots of empty paper. I've tried everything I know of with Acrobat Reader, and so far, the only thing I could find was to zoom in on each portion of the page that contains the drawing, and print Display, rather than the page... and I had to do that manually for each page.

Here's a snapshot of my Adobe Reader screen--obviously reduced for size, but you can see the drawing with lots of empty paper around it. The gray above and below the page indicate the page separations.
http://www.rcfaq.com/minibuggy/dwg_layout.jpg

It's common practice to plot the drawings in portrait, in PDF documents, to get the best resolution for printing. If you're concerned about printing the drawings out, then go ahead and print them in portrait. That way you'll get the largest, clearest printouts possible.

If, however, you want to maximize the view on your monitor, then rotate the page to landscape (as you have clearly done) and close the bookmarks window and also zoom in.

PDF readers are, by default, portrait viewers as they follow common printed document formats. Trying to view a landscape drawing in a portrait window will always result in the image being squeezed into the width available in the portrait window. I can't do anything about all the white space above and below the drawing as I put a page on a page and that's the way it is. Actually, that's not strictly true; I can move the image to the top or bottom of the page, but you'll still end up with the same amount of white space if you view the drawing in landscape.

If I were to publish the drawings in landscape, then you'd lose an awful lot of detail, both on your monitor and when printed out. Does that help, or have I muddied the waters further?

Rorty
01-31-2007, 10:57 PM
I know it is not your information to give out and it you may not want to anyway, but I would love to model a rpm box for my solidworks designed buggy. Can you give out some box specs, shaft dimensions, and mounting specs for this box? Or maybe danno could supply this?

It took me some weeks to persuade Dan to let me have just the mounting hole dimensions so I could accurately model the chassis mounts, so I don't think he's keen on divulging much about his box. I think contacting him directly would be your best bet and hopefully I might stay in his good books. *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

XRH348
02-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Rorty
You mention that the plans will be on A3 paper.

In North America, the "metric" sized paper is rare, I have only ever seen "A4" on sale at the office supply stores.

Most people will be more familiar with the 11" x 17" .

Rorty
02-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Rorty
You mention that the plans will be on A3 paper.

In North America, the "metric" sized paper is rare, I have only ever seen "A4" on sale at the office supply stores.

Most people will be more familiar with the 11" x 17" .

You have got to be joking! You don't use international paper sizes either? OK, I'll do some research and find the equivalent size for the US.

Rorty
02-01-2007, 04:31 PM
12" x 18" seems to be the closest to A3. Guide to international paper sizes (http://home.inter.net/eds/paper/papersize.html).

If there's a more common "standard" size close to 12" x 18" that you'd prefer, please let me know.

hero_saku39
02-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I beleive that 11 x 17 is more of a "standard" size than 12 x 18 (even though that table dosn't even show 11 x 17). *Anyone here in the non metric world please correct me if I'm wrong.

tenaja
02-01-2007, 05:05 PM
C'mon, Rorty, are you so naive to think we'd use Inches, Feet, Ferenheit, and ALSO use "international" paper sizes???

Get with it!!! We have to have everything sized our own way!!! Afterall, it's the American way!

Sarcasm aside, I'd rather my buggy have all metric bolts, so I don't have to pack a standard and a metric crescent wrench in my tool bag. (Well, ok, I couldn't stay 100% away from the sarcasm...)

KWiKSand
02-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Look at the Ansi Paper Sizes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size)

I have never completely understood it though. * A size and B size are the true size of the sheet, but when I used to do Blueprints, C size paper was 18 x 24 and D size was 24 x 36. * * All I ever use any more is B size.

XRH348
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
The reason I raised that was - *should someone get the plans, print out one of the drawings to use as a template to trace around for a part, it would be full size on A3, it might not be full size on 11x17, it would end up slightly smaller if the printer has an auto-fit function.

and what I should have said in the first post, A GREAT LOOKING BUGGY!!

Rorty
02-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I love the first line from that link "...there are basically only two systems in place: the international standard (A4 and its siblings), and the North American sizes". *[smilie=banghead.gif] *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

OK, I'm determined to plot these drawings in a reasonably large format because there's twice the detail in these drawings as in previous manuals and it would be a shame to lose any of it. Not many people will have a large format printer at home anyway and will no doubt choose to take the drawings to somewhere like Kinko's. Needless to say, there's nothing stopping anyone viewing the drawings on their monitor irrespective of the print size/format.

The trouble with all those A and B sizes etc. is that often they're industry specific and relate to dedicated business plotters. I need to establish a friendlier "domestic" mid-size format. I've emailed Kinko's to establish if they handle A3, or if not, what the most common equivalent to A3 is in the US.

The funny thing is, I've been sending drawings to N. America for years in international formats and previously never thought anything about it. Nobody ever asked for any other formats. Well one chap did, but that whole job was weird. I think generally US business is slowly accepting the inevitable, but it will be years before international standards filter down to individual levels. Take the step now and reap the benefits! *[smilie=boogie.gif]

KWiKSand
02-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Isn't A3 = 11.7 Χ 16.5 .... which is pretty darn close to 11 x 17. *I think if you plotted them to 11 x 16.5 it would work with either system. * *The 11 x 17 (b) size is very common here in the states.

tenaja
02-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Not only that, we wouldn't have to stretch or shrink them...

Rorty
02-01-2007, 07:48 PM
ISO A3 is 11.7" Χ 16.5" and ANSI B is 17" x 11" so it's pretty close. US ledger and tabloid paper is also 17" x 11" which is the common paper I think you're referring to. I'll go ahead and make a title sheet for ANSI B then. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/cry.gif

tenaja
02-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Except, here in the US, it's 11" x 17", not 17" x 11". We always call it out by the narrow dimension first. I just don't want the plans to get stuck sideways on the paper again... [smilie=banghead.gif] *[smilie=biggrin.gif] *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Rorty
02-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Right, that's it! I'm going to have to take night classes to get myself edjumacated in all matters US. *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

XRH348
02-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Right then, that's the "paperwork" all done I hope, stirred up quite the little hornets nest, ( yellow jackets to some! ), I really didn't mean to get everyone going on bits of paper.

Lets gets back to the Shotgun

Rorty, What sort of engine would you be recommending? (one of Bedo's questions), or is that "builder's choice".

I suppose that would depend on the intended use, - one with a broad torque curve, or a superbike screamer?

dune
02-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Rorty, Love the new Buggy. I really like the new front end! *Question. Not to get into too many specs, Is the rear track similar to the R-82s? I'm using 30" axles with the RPM box. On mine. *Very wide....

Rorty
02-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the kind words. The rear axles will end up around 30" depending on the options chosen. I'm working on a source of axles for the Shotgun.

f1prerun
02-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Rorty, I just saw this...Very nice looking car, looks to be very thought out and I like the new look a lot. *Now with everything drawn in 3d, how hard would it be to use a ROUND steering wheel [smilie=banghead.gif]

Rorty
02-02-2007, 12:44 AM
I have replaced the "pilot's" wheel with a round steering wheel for the Shotgun. What you are probably referring to in the pic I posted is the new paddle system that sits behind the round steering wheel (steering wheel removed for clarity). *[smilie=boogie.gif]

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/ba67fec5-3.gif brrrrrrmmmm, flip, brrrrrrmmmm, flip, brrrrrrmmmm, flip, bwaaaaa, flip, bwaaaaa, flip, bwaaaaa, flip, brrrrrrmmmm, flip, brrrrrrmmmm, flip, brrrrrrmmmm.....

Kludge
02-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Right, that's it! I'm going to have to take night classes to get myself edjumacated in all matters US. *[smilie=biggrin.gif]
Hi Rorty,

Very Nice machine you've created. [smilie=cool.gif]

You don't need night classes; you just need to consume enough Beer each night until you understand why the US is so different.
That's how many people do it over here! [smilie=ext_beer2.gif] *

/Frank

bdkw1
02-02-2007, 09:03 AM
You don't need night classes; you just need to consume enough Beer each night until you understand why the US is so different.
That's how many people do it over here! [smilie=ext_beer2.gif] *

/Frank

Judging by the Aussies I've hung out with, thats not the problem. [smilie=boogie.gif]

masterfabr
02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Too much beer kills brain cells ya know! [smilie=biggrin.gif] Sorry,rorty

Bullnerd
02-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Last question,why the change in front susp. design?

Is this there advantages to this design over the (old) one?

Rorty
02-02-2007, 03:42 PM
One of the main objectives was to make the suspension easy to construct. Judging from feedback I received from some R82s customers (seemingly those who had no previous car-building experience), they encountered problems with accurately positioning the wishbones' rear mounts into the chassis. Many people don't think in, or can't visualise the third dimension which makes building a three dimensional chassis (or its front suspension) somewhat difficult.

I could have designed wishbone (A-arm in the US) rear mounts that were more positively located, but I am a sucker for straightforward wishbone suspension. I also felt with the high powered engines these buggies are likely to receive, along with the US driving style, a longer wheelbase would aid stability.

Part of it was also styling – it looks more like a desert buggy. *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Bullnerd
02-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the info.

blokhead
02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
rorty that is very cool,i will be ordering plans fo sure.just one thing i would a 5 link rear, is this something i could do on this chassis? or to dificult.i live in the midwestern part of the usa .we have kind of a short course dirt track.i think double a arm or 5 link would be better for me.just an idea [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Rorty
02-02-2007, 05:25 PM
rorty that is very cool,i will be ordering plans fo sure.just one thing i would a 5 link rear, is this something i could do on this chassis? or to dificult.i live in the midwestern part of the usa .we have kind of a short course dirt track.i think double a arm or 5 link would be better for me.just an idea [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Thanks again for the kind words.

A 5-link would be doable (there's enough space and tubework to hang it off), but I haven't given such a set-up any thought.

Are you set on a two-seater, or would a single-seater suit your needs? The new R11 Stiletto single-seater buggy will be coming out very soon after the Shotgun is completed. The Stiletto is the R6 successor and has A-arms at all four corners which would make it ideal for short course racing.

If you're dead set on a 5-link set-up, I may even be persuaded to design a suitable upright and links for you – but not for a few weeks! *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

blokhead
02-03-2007, 08:25 AM
iam set on the 2 seat car,my wife and kids really like the idea of going for a ride now and then.i started buying things for a cuda but my wife changed my mind.i am looking forward to R11 plans, a single seat car will come after my R16. i do thank you for helping me out with the 5 link thats going to be great.

blokhead
02-12-2007, 05:01 PM
[smilie=biggrin.gif] how about a sneek peek of the R11.

Rorty
02-12-2007, 08:00 PM
[smilie=biggrin.gif] I'm flat out like a lizzard drinking at the moment. The R16 Shotgun should be ready by the end of this week. The R11 Stiletto is all modeled, but I haven't had time to take it any further.

I'm working similtaneously on another project which seems to grow by the day. What started out being just a week's work has run into many weeks. Still, it keeps me off the streets.
When I get a moment, the R11 will be the next cab off the rank.

elmariachi
02-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Recently picked-up this RC51 and it's looking for a good home. *I think it will be quite comfortable in the R16. *Please let us know when we can send away for the plans. *I've been looking at the website for an update, but haven't see one. *Will you anounce the release on the forum first or your website? *Let us know when it "drops"...

Rorty
02-12-2007, 11:41 PM
That RC51 would look very nice in the back of a Shotgun! I haven't announced the new buggies on my site - I was giving people here a headsup, but when completed, I'll be offering the manuals on my site and here at the same time. The Shotty is so nearly finished! *[smilie=boogie.gif]

dune
02-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Rorty, I'll want the first set out! *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Tripp

Rorty
02-13-2007, 01:17 AM
Don't be greedy! You haven't even finished your R82s yet! *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Rorty
02-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Guys, I'm running behind again. I'm under huge pressure to finish another project that has run way over the estimated time frame. Plus, Mrs. Rorty caught some sort of lergy and has kindly passed it on to me. The result is I feel like w00ter and I'm working at about half speed.

The Shotgun manual is so nearly finished. I need to do some pretty pictures for it and Dan (from RPM) and I have re-thunk some details of his FNR box which really need to be addressed. So, There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel and I will let those of you who are interested know the moment the manual is ready.

Thank you all for the supportive emails and I appreciate your patience. *[smilie=bow.gif]

elmariachi
02-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Guys, I'm running behind again. I'm under huge pressure to finish another project that has run way over the estimated time frame. Plus, Mrs. Rorty caught some sort of lergy and has kindly passed it on to me. The result is I feel like w00ter and I'm working at about half speed.

The Shotgun manual is so nearly finished. I need to do some pretty pictures for it and Dan (from RPM) and I have re-thunk some details of his FNR box which really need to be addressed. So, There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel and I will let those of you who are interested know the moment the manual is ready.

Thank you all for the supportive emails and I appreciate your patience. *[smilie=bow.gif]

Get well soon *[smilie=alright.gif].

Rorty
02-20-2007, 10:55 PM
It's done! Finished! Completed!

CDs are available from my web site here (http://www.rorty-design.com/content/R16_Shotgun_manual.htm), or email me with your licence number if you're a previous customer and want to take advantage of a special deal.

Here's the blurb with all the specs, but feel free to ask questions.

The Rorty R16 Shotgun is the latest in a line of successful buggy designs used both in competition and recreational driving.

The word "shotgun" has been used since the coaching days of the Old West to describe the seat beside the driver where the shotgun-wielding guard sat. This two-seater buggy is aimed fairly and squarely at the American market, so how befitting to name this new model the Shotgun!

The main structure of the Shotgun's chassis is constructed from 1.5" DOM tube as opposed to 1.25" tube of the earlier buggies. This provides an immensely strong chassis and surprisingly, the 1.5" material is actually cheaper than 1.25" tube! The larger diameter tube will also make the Shotgun eligible to enter a variety of race series in the US and other countries too.

The Shotgun boasts a mechanical gear shift paddle situated directly in front of the steering wheel which makes changing gear swift and positive. Drawings are also supplied for those wanting a more traditional shift lever.

Custom manufactured parts have been kept to a minimum which will make it easier for those without metalworking machinery to assemble their buggy. For the diehard machinists and fabricators who would rather make everything than pay for someone else to do it, there are full working drawings of all the "off-the-shelf" parts in the manual too.

All up there are 108 technical and working drawings which will print onto US standard 11" x 17" paper. The construction manual contains further colour illustrations throughout the text and as usual, there are full fastener, material and parts lists all of which will print onto standard US 8.5" x 11" Letter size paper.

Many of the parts required are available from all the usual off-road shops and auto stores. In the coming months, I hope to have virtually every part available for purchase from just one or two suppliers within the US, so drop in periodically to check for any updates. *

I have worked with Dan from RPM to come up with the best reverse box set-up available for the Shotgun. A new RPM FNR box is available for the Shotgun with an inboard brake disc and is without a doubt, the best, most reliable reverse box that money can buy.

Not everyone wants, or needs a reverse box, so I have included drawings of the non-jackshaft cassette that I used way back in the R4. There are no big expensive bearings like the later twin-shaft cassette, just a couple of common bearings, a sprocket and a brake disc & calliper. The cassette also accepts the familiar 930 CVs, and a simple double ended adjuster takes up any slack in the drive chain.

Rorty R16 Shotgun Specifications

Brakes – Front, Wilwood BDS callipers with 254mm [10"] diameter discs.
Rear, CNC twin piston calliper with 203.2mm [8"] diameter disc.

Chassis – Spaceframe constructed from 1.5" OD DOM steel tube.

Engine – Any 2, 3 or 4 cylinder, chain-drive, motorbike or snowmobile engine.

Steering – Aftermarket rack and pinion with 1.3 turns lock to lock.

Suspension – Front, double, unequal length, tubular A-arms, with air shocks. Travel 533mm [21"].
Rear, tubular trailing arms with air shocks. Nominal travel 533mm [21"].

Tyres, front – BF Goodrich 30X9.50R15C All Terrain.

Rear, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 31X10.50R15LT.
Wheels – Front, 15" x 7.5", .190" aluminium.
Rear, 15" x 8.5", .190" aluminium.

Rorty R16 Shotgun Dimensions

GROUND CLEARANCE – 360mm [14.2"].
OVERALL HEIGHT – 1638mm [64.5"].
OVERALL LENgth – 3578mm [140.8"].
OVERALL WIDTH – 2226mm [87.6"].
TRACK – Nominal 1900mm [74.8"].
WEIGHT – 490 kg [1080 lbs] (depending on engine size, wheels etc.).
WHEELBASE – 2614mm [103"].

Rorty
02-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Here's another image of the rear end:

elmariachi
02-20-2007, 11:05 PM
My orders on its way!!! [smilie=biggrin.gif]

bajaBrothers
02-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Mine too [smilie=biggrin.gif] *[smilie=biggrin.gif] *Yeah
________
Volcano Vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

gordy
02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
dam you rorty, im trying to save for a house (order placed!).

It wont be till the end of the year until I can start :(

Is there any alternative to the WDS calipers?

Rorty
02-21-2007, 03:23 PM
I was damned a long time ago! *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

Yes, it's quite easy to vary the callipers. You'll see why when you receive your CD. What callipers have you got in mind?

gordy
02-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Anything really, preferably something of a late model bike.

The WDS calipers look to be very expensive.

Rorty
02-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Check out these Australian prices: *BDS calliper at VPW (http://www.vpw.com.au/productgroup.asp?CatID=3&SubCatID=977&priorCatID=977&PrdGrpID=65).

I have a full set of hubs, bearings, stub axles, discs and Wilwood callipers etc. for sale if you're interested. I'll sell them for the price I paid (less the shipping cost from the US). Email me for a price.

gordy
02-21-2007, 04:14 PM
wow, thats cheap. Email sent!

Bullnerd
02-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Very nice,looks even better than the teaser.

I checked out your web site also,My only question,which you may not want to answer,is how did you get the spindle so close to the lower rodend?Doesnt look like much material there.Feel free not to answer ,because i'll be buying the plans , so i'll find out anyway. [smilie=biggrin.gif]

So, on to the single seater. [smilie=biggrin.gif] Just kiddin ,take a break.

So they'll be ready next week?

Rorty
02-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I just made it happen. *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

You sort of put the thingy in there and weld it to the whatsit and then weld that bit under neath and hey presto! http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/wizard.gif

Rorty
02-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Oh...I meant to add, I'm doing a bit of catching up with some other work, but I'll be getting back to the Stiletto shortly. I'm not predicting any exact release date - I learnt my lesson with the Shotty! http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/teach.gif I thought I had it under control and then my little world went pear shaped. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/49953983-4.gif

All I'll say is, the Stiletto will be ready when it's ready.

Bullnerd
02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Goodnuff

THUMPCRAFT
02-25-2007, 10:39 PM
are the dimensions or model of the RPM box available? may for a price?

Rorty
02-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Dan's a touch sensitive about releasing details carte blanche, which is hardly surprising considering how he was ripped off by the, now notorious, rip-off merchant who occasionally sticks his head up. I suggest you give Dan a call at RPM Gearboxes (http://www.rpmgearboxes.com)and have a chat with him about your needs.

gordy
02-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Hey rorty, I got my plans yesterday, thanks a bunch.

Ive been looking for something to build after I finish my piranha, and i think ive found it! Ive bought a few plans now including the new barracuda from the edge but your plans are miles ahead. The detail is fantastic and I love how every part is drawn including the ones that are to be laser cut. Its also nice to have the option to use various parts based on cost. This is another thing missing from other plans I've bought elsewhere. Keep up the good work.

I hope to start this at the end of the year! until then I'll just have to drool over the other projects in progress!

Rorty
02-26-2007, 08:09 PM
I've added an update page (http://www.rorty-design.com/content/R16_Shotgun_updates.htm) to my web site for builders of the Shotgun buggy to check for any additions to the Suppliers List, or updates to the Parts List, drawings and specifications.

I've just added another source for the hi-mis spacers and at very good prices too!

Bullnerd
02-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Rorty i was thinking the same thing about the mis-spacers on that site after you posted the link for the vw hubs.

Whats even better is they actually show the product very clearly and with very detailed drawings and specs.

For people who cant get thier hands on that stuff (like me) that makes a big difference.

Thanks for the tip.

elmariachi
02-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Just got my plans in the mail *[smilie=ecstatic.gif] . *Rorty must secretly live here in the states because it took less than 4 business days to get the plans to me (I ordered Thursday night and got them on Wednesday). Haven't gone through it much depth but from I've seen so far they are very detailed. *If anyone is looking for plans that don't require guessing or trying to get inside the designers head these are for you. *About all Rorty hasn't done with these plans is come over to your house and start Fab work for you. *I don't expect to get started before summer, but at least I now have a road map on my journey to building a buggy. *

Thanks Rorty!!! [smilie=bow.gif]

Rorty
02-28-2007, 11:06 PM
About all Rorty hasn't done with these plans is come over to your house and start Fab work for you.

That costs extra – usually plenty of coffee and a few burgers covers it! I'm glad the CD got there OK and in good time.

elmariachi
02-28-2007, 11:49 PM
That costs extra – usually plenty of coffee and a few burgers covers it!

Is that all it takes?!?!?! *And all this time I thougt you Australians were fond of Vegemite sandwiches (sorry, but all my understanding of Australian Culture comes from 'Men At Work', 'The Wiggles', and Steve Irwin) [smilie=blush.gif] .

Rorty
03-01-2007, 01:04 AM
Well your understanding of the avearge Aussie is pretty good, but I'm from cooler climes. I can't abide Vegimite. It's absolutely FERAL - way too salty too. Where I come from we prefer Bovril. Mmmmmm Bovril. *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

LEE1969GB
03-02-2007, 01:03 PM
removed

Bugpac
03-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Oh lee, your pissing on the wrong tree trunk here......

LEE1969GB
03-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Why is that then?

Bugpac
03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Hmmmm, I Wonder?

LEE1969GB
03-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Rorty pm,d me so now I know. If you wanted to help you should have pm,d me instead of making smart arse remarks!

Bugpac
03-02-2007, 02:34 PM
hmmm, smart ass remarks, have you by chance re read your posts?

Rorty
03-02-2007, 03:55 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/peace_man.gif *[smilie=blowkiss.gif] http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/hippy.gif Love and peace!

Rorty
03-02-2007, 06:10 PM
I've added to the R16 Shotgun Updates (http://www.rorty-design.com/content/R16_Shotgun_updates.htm) page again today.

Rorty
03-16-2007, 05:37 PM
I've added to the R16 (http://www.rorty-design.com/content/R16_Shotgun_updates.htm) Shotgun Updates page again today.

blokhead
03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
[smilie=biggrin.gif] hi ,rorty hows the r11 coming along?

Rorty
03-25-2007, 07:22 PM
[smilie=biggrin.gif] I thought I was getting away with it! it's nearing completion and I'll let you know soon.

Bugpac
03-25-2007, 07:26 PM
What, r-11 give us the details, single seater? [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Rorty
03-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Yes, all even number designations since the R8 are two-seaters and all odd number designations are single-seaters.

The R11 is similar to the R16 Shotgun in as much as it uses 1.5" tube, the same rear hub units and similar (but not identical) front uprights. It's got A-arms at all four corners, so is ideal as a track racer. There will also be a trailing arm version coming later on, aimed more at desert racing and will have commensurate suspension geometry.

muddy
03-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Look forward to seeing them *[smilie=bow.gif]

amergin
03-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Who's MLMotorsports? Someone we know?

masterfabr
03-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Any idea on when the trailing arm desert racer plans will be ready,Rorty?

Rorty
03-26-2007, 05:04 PM
MLM is a company I came across, but I don't think they're connected with MBN in any way.

Both the R11 and R13 are modelled and fully drawn up, but I'm currently having difficulties with some of the software I use and I can't do anything with the graphics. I managed to grab one rendered image of the R11 chassis before it all went awry and it's attached below.

I can see most of the drawings, but the program crashes just before rendering is complete. I'm currently liasing with the software developers and as soon as the problem is resolved, I will post more pics and drawings here. As to when I'll get time to write the manuals, I'm not sure; I'm quite busy with other projects at the moment.

Bugpac
03-26-2007, 06:21 PM
How about an optional front end design "got rake" lol...... Put me down for a set.....I got tools to machine all the pieces this time, prolly even build to rorty specs..... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Rorty
03-26-2007, 07:52 PM
You can chop and change the chassis how you like, but then if you know so much about chassis design, why would you be buying a set of plans? http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/tongue_out.gif

minibajaman
03-26-2007, 08:16 PM
You can chop and change the chassis how you like, but then if you know so much about chassis design, why would you be buying a set of plans? http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/tongue_out.gif

If you know so much about chassis design, then why does your buggy not have rake? [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Seriously, why don't you put rake on your cars?

The R11 frame looks good by the way, it would be nice to see the whole car when you get your software sorted out.

K-fab
03-26-2007, 08:33 PM
'Cause you do NOT NEED rake...

Bugpac
03-26-2007, 08:43 PM
I Myself am not saying you do, but i think it works well both ways, as many have rake and many dont.... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Rorty
03-26-2007, 11:31 PM
If you know so much about chassis design, then why does your buggy not have rake?
Boom Boom! http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/bow.gif Touchι.

Seriously, why don't you put rake on your cars?

The R11 frame looks good by the way, it would be nice to see the whole car when you get your software sorted out.

I blathered on at some length in another thread a while ago as to why I don't particularly like rake on a buggy. There was quite a lengthy discussion which basically boiled down to my disliking of the unpredictable handling of a raked front end on a short course car, but I think I ended up conceding that it may have benefits on a desert car, but I have not personally seen any justification for using it on a buggy. Quad yes, but buggy no. IMO *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

minibajaman
03-27-2007, 06:17 AM
'Cause you do NOT NEED rake...

I didn't say that rake is needed, I was really just wondering why Rorty does not use it.

Rorty, thanks for the reply I was just curious as to why you didn't use it. *It seems as the intended use of the car would affect if and how much rake could be used. *I guess for a short course car (is that the intended use of the R11?) that doesn't see really rough desert terrain or huge jumps than no rake is fine. *I have always used some, 10 deg, and there is certainly no handling instability (well up to the 50 mph that it can go) but it helps with soaking up larger jumps and big square-edged bumps like rocks and logs.

K-fab
03-27-2007, 06:25 AM
but it helps with soaking up larger jumps and big square-edged bumps like rocks and logs.
No argument there. * [smilie=blush.gif]

Goes back to that trig thing - hitting a suspension at more of an angle than forcing the suspension to work in a more perpendicular fashion and it lets things work a bit easier.

Guess I'm stuck with desert mentality. *That good dry heat's slowly baking my brain.. *[smilie=boogie.gif]

I'm going stir crazy - I wanna work on things, ride, drive, play... *Damn collarbone... Thank goodness it's about healed up.

How I wish I was going to make LS!!! *AAAaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!! * [smilie=banghead.gif]

masterfabr
03-27-2007, 06:42 AM
I'll be going back soon.Let me know if there's a time that's good for you.In the meantime;boo-hoo,waaaaa,sniff sniff,YEE-HAW!!!!!! I'm gonna have fun!!!!!! [smilie=boogie.gif] *[smilie=blowkiss.gif]

Rorty
03-27-2007, 07:53 AM
It seems as the intended use of the car would affect if and how much rake could be used. *I guess for a short course car (is that the intended use of the R11?) that doesn't see really rough desert terrain or huge jumps than no rake is fine. *I have always used some, 10 deg, and there is certainly no handling instability (well up to the 50 mph that it can go) but it helps with soaking up larger jumps and big square-edged bumps like rocks and logs.

The R11 is intended for short course running, or for anyone who wants a more responsive car. However, I still won't be raking the front end of the R13 which is aimed more at open desert/dunes. As I outlined in the other thread, I believe the cons vastly outweigh the pros when it comes to raking.

I think unless you're going to rake the front suspension by about 30 degrees (I don't know for sure because I haven't done the math), there's little justification for rake on the basis of approach angle/jumping, and as for the foibles of induced castor/anti-dive etc....BAH! http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/lalalala.gif

masterfabr
03-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Rorty,where you got that stash of emoticons??????I love that last one.

Rorty
03-27-2007, 03:18 PM
I collected a bunch of them from all over the place and I keep them in a file on my desktop so I can hit them when required...a bit like opening the View more Emoticons window here.

masterfabr
03-27-2007, 03:45 PM
You need to share! [smilie=biggrin.gif] Just kidding.

Bugpac
03-27-2007, 04:07 PM
[quote="minibajaman\";p=\"31927":1t8n4eud]but it helps with soaking up larger jumps and big square-edged bumps like rocks and logs.
No argument there. * [smilie=blush.gif]

Goes back to that trig thing - hitting a suspension at more of an angle than forcing the suspension to work in a more perpendicular fashion and it lets things work a bit easier.

Guess I'm stuck with desert mentality. *That good dry heat's slowly baking my brain.. *[smilie=boogie.gif]

I'm going stir crazy - I wanna work on things, ride, drive, play... *Damn collarbone... Thank goodness it's about healed up.

How I wish I was going to make LS!!! *AAAaaarrrrggggghhhhhh!!!! * [smilie=banghead.gif][/quote:1t8n4eud]

Hope that collerbone is healed in 3 weeks, so i can smoke your ass on them 50's....Thats if you are gonna share... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

muddy
03-28-2007, 04:29 AM
Hi rorty whats the intended wheel base onthe r11 .
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *muddy

Rorty
03-28-2007, 06:57 AM
The R11's wheelbase is 96" and the track is 68".

Bugpac
03-28-2007, 01:14 PM
what is the overall lenght going to be, less than 120"?

Rorty
03-28-2007, 04:50 PM
The overall length of the R11 is 141", but if you were desparate to get it inside an existing trailer, you could trim a bit of the tube work off each end.