PDA

View Full Version : New Server News

amergin
01-31-2007, 12:46 AM
After researching the options I've selected to go with a Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting solution. A VPS solution is the next step up from shared hosting environments. VPS accounts are not cheap, but they are managed and have a dedicated amount of CPU cycles, memory and othe resources that are not shared between users. It's not the bandwidth and storage space that kills us; it's the shared database server, CPU and memory pool.

Private application hosting (dedicated to MBN) for the new server, we no longer will share with 1000's of others site.
Apache (web serv)
MySQL (Database)
PHP 4 & 5 (scripting)

A copy of the site is running on the new server now. Its fast, click and go with no double click hell anymore. The memory usage is running at 41% with just me, myself and I mucking about. I would expect this to climb upwards of 60% max with our normal usage. Tonight I'll hammer the site and see how stable it is. Tomorrow we should be able to cut over if all looks good.

FTP hell... Those farking attachments take forever to download then upload to the new server. In the process I've found many dups of the images and some massive files. Some changes will be made to keep the image size from exceeding 2mb in size. A 3.5mb image is massive; do we really need that kind of resolution? 657 dups will be deleted after the attachments have been synched with the posts.

In case anyone is interested... Here's the progression of the companies this site has been hosted with. All have failed to live up to expectation or advertised uptime.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
powweb -> 1and1 -> bluehost -> mediatemple -> powweb
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bedo
01-31-2007, 02:03 AM
thanks for all the hard work. *i really appreciate it. *the site was getting hard to navigate. *it's real smooth tonight. * [smilie=biggrin.gif] *[smilie=blowkiss.gif]

renegadespec1
01-31-2007, 02:57 AM
Amerigin,
You da man

Rorty
01-31-2007, 05:04 AM
Rusty, this is a tremendous effort on your part and shouldn't go unrewarded. I'd hate to see paid advertising on the site, so how about doing what another site I know did. They courted voluntary subscriptions from members in return for something like a gold star of recognition beside their name. It's not so much for making members better than those who don't subscribe - more like shaming the non subscribers into coughing up for a valuable resource. Just a thought.

Bugpac
01-31-2007, 05:22 AM
I just need a paypal address, you pm me that i will donate, as i have said before!! [smilie=biggrin.gif]

masterfabr
01-31-2007, 06:02 AM
Fitst ,rusty, We all thank you! We appreciate your hard work.Could you let us that know NOTHING about this stuff in on how expensive this site is to maintain?There's a few of us that I think may be willing to help out as bug said.Again thanks for setting this thing up for our benefit.

renegadespec1
01-31-2007, 06:27 AM
I'd be happy to couph up a few bux, Haven't got much, but every little bit helps... [smilie=bow.gif]

rxpo
01-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Where do I mail the check?

Gene
01-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Me too! I want to support this site!

masterfabr
01-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Well if we're gonna give would someone please tell what's needed?

amergin
01-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks all, appreciate being appreciated... LOL We're still on the old server now. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I purchase a new account the old service provider fixes their issues. Is that irony?

Server cost: $60.00 per month
Domain registration: $9.95 per year
My time: $0

Not sure what we will do with site sponsorship or donations. Something that can be worked out once the site is stable. There is room up top for rotating banners that could be used for sponsors to advertise. The sponsors would have to be industry related though. We don't want banners for toilet paper up there.... I don't know, it's nice to see a site without advertisers on it.

Let's get the site stable then worry about that later.

pay--pal is amergin (at) cox (dot) net for anyone who would like to donate now.

Rusty

Bugpac
01-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Paypal is in the email.... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

masterfabr
01-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Your first month has been paid.Rusty,you should have the money at paypal now.I just sent it.Come on deadbeats get on the stick and join in! [smilie=biggrin.gif] let's all help out all we can even if it's just a tenner or so!.Thanks rusty,gene,k-fab!

Bugpac
01-31-2007, 03:09 PM
well i couldnt pay for a month, but i did my best..

masterfabr
01-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Every bit will help.I had no idea what the costs were.Not aas bad as I thought but more than one person should have to fork out by himself! Some time perhaps the people in charge should consider *charging a fee for all the FREE *AND ABUNDANT ADVERTISING that is on the homepage and elsewhere. [smilie=biggrin.gif] I was glad to help out.

renegadespec1
01-31-2007, 03:54 PM
I need an address to ship the m/o to I don't use RIP-OFF pay pal...

masterfabr
01-31-2007, 06:52 PM
Come on guys step up to the plate! How much do you think this site has given you for FREE? It's time to return something to it.I've gotten WAY MORE info than a months use costs.give what you can to rusty and support this place that has given you many times worth of valuable info.And a little BS *thrown *in just for fun.

Bugpac
01-31-2007, 07:11 PM
I do not think people should give because your telling them to, they should do it if they want to, maybe this is one thing you can leave at rest, masterfab....

K-fab
01-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Some will give, some won't - I don't think that Amergin was expecting any sort of handouts.

If giving is something that is important to you, then do so, if it's not something you feel is necessary, don't. *There is absolutely nobody saying that you must give to be part of this site - if that were the case, there would be a fee to join up.

I believe that only Amergin should know who did/didn't and I don't believe that he will hold anything for or against anyone for that.

fabr - please don't misunderstand me - I fully understand your position on the subject. *There are probably many of us that would (have) gladly pony up for the ability to be part of this site.

Rorty
01-31-2007, 08:25 PM
There are probably many of us that would (have) gladly pony up for the ability to be part of this site.

"pony up" - is that not rude, like equine bestiality, or is it US speak for something totally different?

tenaja
01-31-2007, 08:27 PM
"Pony up" is US speak for "caugh it up" or "fork it over" or, more simply, "Pay the man!"

Gene
01-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Tenaja's right.

masterfabr
01-31-2007, 08:31 PM
How about "show your appreciation".

masterfabr
01-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Oh and,bug,up yours. [smilie=biggrin.gif]

hero_saku39
01-31-2007, 08:39 PM
[quote="K-fab\";p=\"27728":1v7flbw9]There are probably many of us that would (have) gladly pony up for the ability to be part of this site.

"pony up" - is that not rude, like equine bestiality, or is it US speak for something totally different?[/quote:1v7flbw9]

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6277/cowbygiffhb2.gif Here pony pony pony pony......

^^^K-fab....

Rorty
01-31-2007, 08:40 PM
"Pony up" is US speak for "caugh it up" or "fork it over" or, more simply, "Pay the man!"
Thank you. Do you happen to know the origin of the term?

matchew
01-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Amergin...great job on the sight. I'll be pony'n up soon, you deserve it. And now form google, some truly worthless info for YOU Rorty, enjoy.

: variation of the terms "Ante Up", "Fork Over".
: meaning: to Pay, make good on,
: Can anyone help explain the origin of this saying?

PONY UP - "Since the 1800s, 'pony up,' or 'poney up,' has been American slang for 'to pay up.' These words may derive from the German 'poniren,' 'to pay,' but 'pony' was British slang for a small amount of money in the early 19th century, probably because a pony is a small horse (not over 14 hands high), and the term to 'pony up' probably derived from this expression. Other uses of 'pony' to indicate smallness include the 'pony' that is a small glass or bottle of alcohol beverage and the 'pony' meaning a trot or crib - a translation used by students." From the "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997).

Then there's "pony keg."

"Jackson": Sung by Johnny Cash with June Carter. Written by Jerry Lieber and Billy Edd-Wheeler.

".But they'll laugh at you in Jackson, and I'll be dancin' on a pony keg.
They'll lead you 'round town like a scalded hound,
With your tail tucked between your legs,
Yeah, go to Jackson, you big-talkin' man.
And I'll be waitin' in Jackson, behind my Jaypan Fan."

Now I'm going to have to find out what a "Jaypan Fan" is.

masterfabr
01-31-2007, 09:02 PM
He does deserve it. I glad others feel the same.We get a wealth of info for very little in return.We need to show our appreciation.Words are nice but they don't help keep this an advertiser free site with freely given info.NO,bug,I'm not trying to shame ANYONE into giving a thing.But for those of us that have saved many manhours and lots of money because of the resources available for FREE here........... well you fill in the rest. [smilie=biggrin.gif]

amergin
01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
First let me say that it's not expected at all for anyone to donate. However, thanks to everyone who has donated (or is planning too) I really appreciate the help. Through your efforts the first three months have now been paid in full.

There is a donation feature built into the site for people to use if they wish. This feature allows the user to select anonymous or recognized donations. My feelings on having it active are mixed; I'll put it to a site wide vote instead.

Again, thank you all for assisting with keeping MBN going strong.

Rusty

Kludge
01-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Hi Masterfabr,

I agree with Bugpac and K-fab, as I too believe that donating to the site should be a personal choice. Prodding or shaming people to donate is not a positive thing.

The best boards that I have participated in that run on donations don't use any peer pressure. A request for donations goes out once a year if needed and those that help out consider it a privilege.

By the way Masterfabr, I'm sorry to inform you that it is very likely that you were not quite fast enough on the keyboard to buy the first month, but I'm glad you did buy a month. *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

/Frank

masterfabr
02-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Jaypan fan=japan fan.You know those little 1/4 circle folding thingys.The fan the jaypan geishas hide their face behind.

Bugpac
02-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I did reply to your pm earlier masterfab, but it got lost as amergin took the site down, so i will reply here, Im not out for you, and i didnt think the comment about letting the donation thing be was at all offensive and or rude... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Ps, do you need some cheese to go with your wine?

masterfabr
02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Your bait is rotten.

masterfabr
02-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I did reply to your pm earlier masterfab, but it got lost as amergin took the site down, so i will reply here, Im not out for you, and i didnt think the comment about letting the donation thing be was at all offensive and or rude... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Ps, do you need some cheese to go with your wine?You need to go back and read your reply to me at the first of this current crap slinging fest.It was offensive. It was meant to inflame.It was uncalled for.I appreciate what this site has provided me.My encouraging others to help should not have brought about this current wave of crap on me.My comments were meant to be taken in a lighthearted manner.I'm sorry that you misinterpreted my intention.

Bugpac
02-01-2007, 04:37 PM
You are right masterfab, and i am truely sorry, i hope you dont stay awake all night crying....

masterfabr
02-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Sarcasm.I love it.