PDA

View Full Version : Any body built a buggy with a power rack and pinion?

renegadespec1
12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm just looking for some Idea's ,comments on any body's idea's on building a power rack...I might need one to keep racing...... All comments good...bad, *and smarty pants are welcome..... THIS IS NOT A BAIT EITHER * [smilie=biggrin.gif] *I really would like to hear some idea's [smilie=blush.gif]

Bugpac
12-04-2006, 09:04 AM
use a small car rack and hook up a pump, sounds good to me, you probbally could run a pump right of the clutch on the engine so it spun all of the time right?not the driven but the engine clutch it self.... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

K-fab
12-04-2006, 09:39 AM
We ran one of the units they use in fork lifts (char-lynn - thanks bdk.) on our first attempt at a desert car. *Small pump driven off the crank of the engine supplied the power to the pump.

The unit was mounted inline on the steering shaft, before the rack.

It was easy to steer - but the thing I didn't like about it was that the wheels stayed where you're last input was. *No feedback and no self centering. *Gave a very dead feeling and it didn't try to straighten up when you let off the wheel.

bdkw1
12-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Char-lynn, Yes they are crap for feel. A regular obrital valve and ram would work/feel a lot better and can be run off the same pump. Bajatex is putting a PS system on his car right now, stay tuned to his thread for updates....... Hint, hint.......

hero_saku39
12-04-2006, 04:25 PM
My buddy is digging out a rack from Geo Metro for me to look at...suposed to be pretty small???

renegadespec1
12-04-2006, 04:39 PM
My buddy is digging out a rack from Geo Metro for me to look at...suposed to be pretty small???
I got one out of a geo prism and it looks HUGE but my buggies are small(hows that for some bait for the guttermaster)

renegadespec1
12-04-2006, 04:40 PM
I'll post a couple of pics later

hero_saku39
12-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Good deal......I havn't seen one. My budy mentioned it.....he builds stuff budget style.

renegadespec1
12-05-2006, 06:45 AM
here's the pics... The little rack is a 14" from desert karts, The big rack is a rear steer, so I'll either have to run it upside down or build a rear steer front end... I prefer t keep front steer due to the small size of these... Next pics are the pumps I've been considering, the 1 on the left is the geo pumo...on the right is a 64 thunder bird PS. pump...I could run them off of the water pump side(I'm using sled motors) I was kind of thinking about using a 12 volt motor maybe like a heater blower motor and tuning the pump slow...Any ideas?????
OOOPPPS I forgot they load backwards... [smilie=drool.gif]

K-fab
12-05-2006, 07:00 AM
I think you should put the rug on as a sweater and enter the contest...

How hard would it be to make an adaptor that mounts to the pull starter end of the crank to run a pulley? * If you have an e-start, it should be a pretty easy mod.

Here's how I did it on an old 900 triple:
http://www.yellowdogracing.com/gecko/powersteeringpump.jpg

I don't think an electric motor will have enough grunt to run the system - if you do find a strong enough motor, will the electrical system have enough to power it?

Definitely run a front steer setup. *They don't bend tie-rods when you dork a corner or slam a front wheel. *It's always best to run the rods in tension versus compression.

renegadespec1
12-05-2006, 07:40 AM
K-fab'
Thanks for the input, I Agree front steer is the only way to go If you look at the big rack (we all like BIG RACKS) i HAD TO TOSS THAT INTHERE BEFORE GUTTERMASTER GOT AHOLD OF IT! The big one when flipped in it's back will have some funky angle to contend with on the input end Nothing too major just a little engineering exersize,>>>> The little old lady who live across the street gave me a PILE of these rugs to put on the floor of the shop as throw rugs or oil catchers.... The sweater thing will do ... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

boilermaker
01-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Today i saw, in a magzine,that Honda and Yamaha have ATV 4wheelers with "electric power steering systems". Somebody, please check these out and report on here, if possible/affordable i could use one on account of my shoulders.

Rorty
01-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Hasn't the ATV power steering already been talked about in another thread?

Some cars including late model Toyota MR2 uses an electric pump. If you used one of them, you could mount it close to the rack to reduce the weight of long hoses filled with fluid.

This is quite a nice little self-contained electric pump from a [url=http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=seat_ibiza_electric_hydraulic _power_steering_pump:3qtte4au]Seat Ibiza[/url:3qtte4au]. Do you get Seat in Merica? They're part of the Vokkswagen Audi Group and may be sold under a different name over there. It's worth checking a number of small to medium Yur-peen cars for e-pumps.

boilermaker
01-21-2007, 10:29 PM
I don't remember anyone talking about any ATV powersteering,but remember talk of full size cars power steering. You telling me that these ATV's use an electric pump, that would be OK if compact, light weight, powerful, and durable enought. Also their already in production,so they will be avilable sooner or later and, you know they have been well tested.

boilermaker
01-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Just another thought, which is lighter a fluid filled hose or a large gauge copper wire?

Rorty
01-21-2007, 10:35 PM
No, I'm not saying they do or don't use an electric pump - I don't know, I haven't looked into them. They may even use a stepper motor like they used for their auto shift a number of years ago.

Rorty
01-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Just another thought, which is lighter a fluid filled hose or a large gauge copper wire?
Are you serious? You'd only need a *medium gauge wire for the feed.

bdkw1
01-21-2007, 11:27 PM
[quote="boilermaker\";p=\"26415":3rkqk6lj]Just another thought, which is lighter a fluid filled hose or a large gauge copper wire?
Are you serious? You'd only need a *medium gauge wire for the feed.[/quote:3rkqk6lj]

Yep, 10 guage at most.