PDA

View Full Version : Radiator question

BoneDuner
11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Something else I'm thinking of changing is the radiator. *The pic below is what came with the sandrail and it looks pretty damn big

in my opinion. *23" long and 15" width and maybe 3" deep. *Anybody have a good radiator setup for a 1300 Hayabusa motor I will be in the

sand the majority of the time and running hot.

Thanks

Gene
11-27-2006, 08:50 PM
My Ron Davis radiator is about that size and mounts paralell to the car. A difference I see is the backing plate - mine does not have that and I find it curious.

Maybe you could modify the filler neck and angle it down as part of the rear deck. How about a picture from the top and side so we can see where it might go?

What temperature has the car been running so far? What do you have for gauges? Does the fan run all the time or only on demand?

Rorty
11-27-2006, 09:11 PM
That looks like a hell of a big rad, but if it's not directly in, and perpendicular to the airflow, that could explain it. The fan should only be wired through a thermo fan switch in the radiator, otherwise the engine may be running below optimal temperature and there'll be no backup for when it does get really hot.

BoneDuner
11-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Can't tell for sure what the temperature is at since when I purchased the rail the previous owner tells me he doesn't believe he has the temp gauge setup right. *The gauge says its running between 230~260 and never budges past 260. *There's a seperate switch that starts the fan which I run full time unless its at night time.

busasandrail
11-29-2006, 10:32 AM
That radiator is probably what most places call a scirocco radiator the size is the same as a VW scirocco.... I had a Ron Davis in my rail but after two failures and really bad customer service/finger pointing I purchased my next one from Summit racing (Jegs also carries them).
The scirocco size radiator is IMO sized just right for the rail and being the locations most radiators are mounted they seem to cool pretty well. If you could find some way to get some scoops or a high mounting location you could probably get away with a smaller one....

About your temps my engine rarely gets hottier then 200.
So I would diffently check your sensor for proper operation / location and make sure your pumps is working and primed. 260 seems really hot to me.

stetler
07-24-2008, 04:53 PM
That radiator is probably what most places call a scirocco radiator the size is the same as a VW scirocco.... I had a Ron Davis in my rail but after two failures and really bad customer service/finger pointing I purchased my next one from Summit racing (Jegs also carries them).
The scirocco size radiator is IMO sized just right for the rail and being the locations most radiators are mounted they seem to cool pretty well. If you could find some way to get some scoops or a high mounting location you could probably get away with a smaller one....

About your temps my engine rarely gets hottier then 200.
So I would diffently check your sensor for proper operation / location and make sure your pumps is working and primed. 260 seems really hot to me.
Busasand, What radiator size did you go with from summit?
Did you have to add a extra Bung on it?

nutz4sand
07-24-2008, 07:05 PM
One thing I have always liked was having temp gauges before and after the radiator in the hoses. Then you have a backup gauge showing temps coming out of the motor and after the radiator it shows what the radiator took out of it. I have done this to tow vehicles but a buggy would be good as well with the extra weight mini's ask the motors to pull around (speaking of bike and sled motors vs final mini weight) Bill