PDA

View Full Version : Edge Barracuda build.

Mike
11-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Im almost ready to start welding some steel up for my Barracuda. I have gone through Tony's Excellent plans and redrawn every part to use standard size materials. I have two 2x4ft sheets of parts that will be laser and waterjet cut maybe tomorrow. This Cuda will be built from 1.5"x .095" DOM for the main chassie. I had to make some changes to the frame due to not being able to bend the DOM to the tight 3..5" radius which Edge has in the plans. All parts are modified to keep all the specs while using the larger tubing. I hope to be able to update this thread tomorrow with a picture of all the laser cut parts.

I got tired of all the odd looking tires in most CAD drawn models so I made up some better looking ones. LOL
Mike

rxpo
11-16-2006, 10:08 PM
3.5" radius in the plans? *That is tight.

What tube size is he calling out for in the plans?

I have yet to buy his plans for the Barracuda....not sure if I want to make my next buggy to someone elses' plans or try to create my own buggy design for the next build (I've learned so much here) *[smilie=biggrin.gif].

I have a die/mandrel set for 1 3/8" tube with a 4" radius. *When I bought it a few years ago, I thought it would be a happy medium between the common 1.25" and seemingly over-large 1.5"

Mike
11-16-2006, 10:12 PM
They build the cuda from Pipe which is like 1.39" diameter. There Die is 90mm radius which is right at 3.5". 1.1875" tube would be very close to the pipe they use.

Mike

Mike
11-16-2006, 10:34 PM
This is almost all the laser cut parts other than the sprocket and brake disc. I still have to draw some small brackets for stuff like the fuel tank and shifter which Im about to do now. Thats a full 4x4 sheet of parts. *[smilie=blink.gif]

I hope I made the picture quality bad enough to where no one will be able to use it to produce there own Cuda.

Mike

Bugpac
11-16-2006, 10:36 PM
getting them at gk machine in oregon?

Mike
11-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Nah, Thrush Aircraft is 20 miles away and the guy I spoke with sounded excited to do some custom work. When I asked what the cut time charge was he just said its cheap. *[smilie=boogie.gif]

Mike

Mike
11-30-2006, 12:03 AM
I got the lower chassie welded up tonight. I jigged it all up nice and square and tacked it together well. After removing from the jig and welding all the joints there is 100 % no warp in the frame. This was my first project that I used a tig welder on and man I love it. Its so cool to watch the two parts melt together then dab the rod in the pool and move on. The welds are not the prettiest but there good welds. The pretty welds will come with more practice I guess.

Mike

Mike
12-01-2006, 12:45 AM
I got the main roll cage hoop bent tonight. I will trim the ends and tweek out .5" of warp and tack weld it on. I hope to get some tube work done this weekennd. I need my laser cut parts now but I have yet to find who I will use for the cutting. Most quotes have been stupid high like $800 and the one low priced guy needs 3 weeks. Im still waiting on a few quotes though. I hope I can get at least some parts cut tomorrow localy. *[smilie=unsure.gif]

Mike

Flyer2
12-01-2006, 07:15 AM
Can`t see the pictures [smilie=banghead.gif]

Flyer2
12-01-2006, 07:16 AM
Can`t see the pictures of your drawings [smilie=banghead.gif] *[smilie=blink.gif]

renegadespec1
12-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Mike,
looking good so far... Heres just a friendly tip... if you slow down alittle bit on your weld so the puddle has a chance to stabilize your welds will be stronger,lay flatter, and look really pretty.. None of my business how you weld it was just a tip

Racerj404
12-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Nah, Thrush Aircraft is 20 miles away and the guy I spoke with sounded excited to do some custom work. When I asked what the cut time charge was he just said its cheap. *[smilie=boogie.gif]

Mike

Nothing is cheap when it says "aircraft".

Bugpac
12-01-2006, 10:15 AM
i am about to get someone to cad up the chassis for my 32 coupe project, i am thinking that g k machine could laser all the pieces and ship them via roadway etc, and it still will be cheaper than anyone even close to me...

Gene
12-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Mike,
If you want a great deal on laser cut parts contact Mmader@gkmachine.com (mailto:Mmader@gkmachine.com).

Even with shipping I think GK will give you the best price. You supply the drawings by email, get a quote and they cut your stuff and send it to you.

You can visit their website but it gives you no clue that they will custom cut your stuff.

Check out my build to see what they made for me. Look at the work the did for Dune and Kwiksand. You won't be sorry and you will save money.

Mike
12-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Mike,
looking good so far... Heres just a friendly tip... if you slow down alittle bit on your weld so the puddle has a chance to stabilize your welds will be stronger,lay flatter, and look really pretty.. None of my business how you weld it was just a tip

I have been tig welding for less than 2 weeks so any tips I can get would be great. When you say the pool needs to stablilize what should I look for? I create a pool and watch to see how deep it is then I dab the rod and move on to make another pool. What should I see before I dab the rod? Shoot me any tips you want as I want to make sure my welds are strong as well as I want to learn to tig like a Pro.

Mike

Mike
12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Mike,
If you want a great deal on laser cut parts contact Mmader@gkmachine.com (mailto:Mmader@gkmachine.com).

Even with shipping I think GK will give you the best price. You supply the drawings by email, get a quote and they cut your stuff and send it to you.

You can visit their website but it gives you no clue that they will custom cut your stuff.

Check out my build to see what they made for me. Look at the work the did for Dune and Kwiksand. You won't be sorry and you will save money.

Sent them the file. Maybe I will hear back soon. Im stuck on the chassie until I get some of the laser cut parts int. I guess I could just go ahead and bend all the tubing up and wait to notch it all after I get the laser cut parts fitted.

Mike

renegadespec1
12-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Mike, I don't know what kind of tig you've got Do you have the foot pedal or is it a drag start? Either wat I would grab some scraps of steel buut joint -tee-joint and overlap joint them.. just burn some hloes in them (literally) this will allow you to see how the puddle stabilizes and de-stabilizes just before burn thru- It's hard when it's over the internet, also only travel 1/2 of the distance of your puddle per dab on the rod that will keep your puddle temp more even,and you won't get cold spots (when the weld stands way up) this can be frusterating but i think you can do it with a little practice

Mike
12-01-2006, 04:42 PM
I got a miller dynasty 200 with hand and foot controls. I was using the foot control then figured I would not be able to use it much so now I just the hand control. I think I like the hand control about as much as the foot control now. I will *work on doing what you said and see how it works. I have burned holes in .25" steel like it was nothing on 200 amps. Most of the welding Im doing now is on 125 amps.

The little $9 angle finder must be junk. I have been out fine tuning the bends on my main roll cage hoop and with everything each angle the same on each side the spacing is not coming out the same. Like one side the bottom of the hoop is .25" in from the other side yet all the degrees are the same for both sides. I dont know weather to hate the odd ball degrees that this build requires or the cheap angle finder. *[smilie=banghead.gif]

Mike

Bugpac
12-01-2006, 04:43 PM
hate the odd angles, you got your work cut out for you for sure....

Mike
12-01-2006, 04:48 PM
This is the problem.

renegadespec1
12-01-2006, 06:42 PM
It's easier than you think you could almost use a "johnson speed square" I think that what you are dealing with comes down to a little patients...and a pefectly square corner to work from [smilie=ext_secret.gif] this and a good protractor will get you so cloce you will [smilie=blowkiss.gif] *the theory..It does work I promise.. Did you notice how the puddle changes shape -color and the little bubble of glass that floats around when you twitch? next exersize slide side to side, or small arcs of motion, when you see the puddle stabilize... you'll see what I mean, that is dab time, 1/2 the size of the puddle...Try it you'll like it [smilie=blink.gif]

Mike
12-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Im about to weld on the main roll cage hoop so I will post some pitures once Im done. All the practice I did on tube to tube welds I was not that happy with them but maybe this will be different as it has to be a good weld. LOL

Mike

Bugpac
12-01-2006, 09:04 PM
mike you are just tacking it corect, easier to remove something that way.. [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Mike
12-01-2006, 09:34 PM
I welded the main roll cage hoop to the frame as its where it needs to be. The rest of the tube work will be tacked until im satisfied. Time to start setting up the single largest section of pipe that needs 4 bends. *[smilie=blink.gif] *

Mike

Mike
12-03-2006, 02:15 AM
I got the hardest part to bend bent up tonight. Im finding that this cheap angle finder just it not going to work. I have make sure over and over that my tubing it all level before making bends yet everyone I have bent comes out with a little warp in them. The part I just bent up was very long with one leg being 6ft so I guess .75" of warp from one side to the other is not that bad. I cant stand for things not to be perfect and these parts that are warped some almost makes me want to start all over. LOL come to think of it, I only have like $120 invested in whats built so far. *[smilie=blink.gif] Good thing there is only one more part that has more than one bend in it.

I forgot to add that I have discovered what heat from welding can do to metal. The rear half of the lower 1.25" square chassie has warped up a good .5" The hole chassie sits flat on the table other than the very rear section. When I get ready to start adding in the rear tubes I will clamp the chassie down to a metal jig table to hold the warp out of it while I weld in the rear tubes. All this just from me welding the main hoop on. [smilie=ashamed.gif]

Mike

Bugpac
12-03-2006, 09:32 AM
this may sound stupid, but are you checking the level of the die itself, then checking tubing level, i have found that i cant check accuratly till i snug the tube in the die, seems the die straigtens out just a hair when it gets pressure on it...hard to explain, but i ujsed a cheap andle finder as well, and i had only one tube with a warp in it, and i did have a few multi bend tubes... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Mike
12-03-2006, 02:49 PM
What I do is get the tube in the bender and tighten it up by putting some pressure on the tube. This pulls it all tight and then i check the angle on the tube coming out of both sides of the bender and its always the same. Then I work my way around the tube and check the angles on the bends and the other side and its always be the same. Like I said thought if every bend was off .25deg then that would be more than enough to throw of long bends a little.

Mike

Bugpac
12-03-2006, 03:02 PM
i have found that i can have the tube level out the end, but it has to be level sideways as well, as it rotates it can be unlevel thatway, not sure why you having problems really, with practice you will have it aced i am sure.... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

renegadespec1
12-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Mike do you have a *sraight line laser level I had the same problem your having now I use a cheap straght line laser (not the kind that just makes a dot) level it up on your tube *while it's in the bender and it will keep you referanced thru-out your bendig as long as you dont bump the laser If you want I can post a pic of what I mean...Only differance is my bender is vertical now

Mike
12-03-2006, 03:25 PM
I need to do something because I sure dont like not having these bends perfect. I guess the little bit this tube is warped will be easy to remove once I start clamping and welding it to the chassie. Im going to make a heavy duty metal jig table to clap every thing down on to keep it all flat.

Mike

renegadespec1
12-03-2006, 03:29 PM
A good stout table helps a lot, a good set of pipe clamp are nice to have, a porto power is helpfull anything I can do to help...smarty pants answers is all you have to put up with [smilie=jumping.gif]

Mike
12-03-2006, 11:04 PM
All the bending for the chassie is done. I need to build a heavy steel jig table before I start notching parts and welding. I want to clamp the chassie down to where everything is perfectly leavel then start notching and welding.

Any tips for removing warp in parts with 2 or more bends? Any issues with using some heat to fine tune the tubes to remove the warp?

Mike

renegadespec1
12-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Hey Mike,
Bends that are tweaked can be a real [smilie=banghead.gif] I would give the end *or side of the hoop a good heavy tack cut a bar to fit to hold your dimensions or use pipe clamps and pull the rest into plce with pipe clamps, ratchet strap, come along Etc... Just be sure to keep an eye on the rest of the chassis, so your not pulling that out of square well....Man I got thru that and not so much as a snicker [smilie=drool.gif]

Mike
12-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Im building a I beam table today so I can clamp the chassie down.

Im picking up all the laser cut parts tomorrow. Got a somewhat local guy to do all the cutting for $535 and it will only take him one day to get it done for me.

Mike

Mike
12-05-2006, 07:19 PM
I got my laser cut parts today. All I can say is WOW. this is the way to build a buggy for sure. All the parts fit together very well and after I go around and clean all the edged and grind them down a little I will get to welding the parts up. As soon as my camera gets charged up a little I will post some picture of the laser cut parts. By the way the company that cut the parts quoted $535 but when they found out this was just for fun they dropped it to $500 even. I even got to watch the laser cut the parts for about 30 minutes. If anyone need some parts laser cut here in the southeast these are the guys to do it.

Mike

Mike
12-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Here are those pictures. I will get most of these parts welded up tomorrow night. Im just too worn out tonight to go do any welding. I need to go ahead and get the rear bearing carriers made up so I can weld those in. The carrier should be easy to make so Maybe I can get that done tomorrow afternoon. I got some 3" I beam for a jig table. I need to weld it up tomorrow as well.

Mike

Mike
12-05-2006, 08:55 PM
[smilie=biggrin.gif] Here is the jig table parts.

K-fab
12-05-2006, 08:58 PM
The laser stuff looks beautiful!!!

Only thing I like more than that is a nice CNC machined part.

Rorty
12-05-2006, 09:32 PM
It all looks teriffic Mike! There's something very satisfying about taking a mallet and knocking some keyed steel parts together. I have to agree with K-fab though - there's nothing quite like an intricately carved lump of aluminium to get the juices flowing!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/yay.gifhttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/49953983-2.gif

Bullnerd
12-05-2006, 09:54 PM
dude your haulin azz on that thing.

Looks awesome.

How thick is all that stuff(laser parts)?

Gene
12-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Nice parts! Good start for sure. How many laser cut pieces, type metal? Good table foundation!

bdkw1
12-05-2006, 11:49 PM
It all looks teriffic Mike! There's something very satisfying about taking a mallet and knocking some keyed steel parts together. I have to agree with K-fab though - there's nothing quite like an intricately carved lump of aluminium to get the juices flowing!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/yay.gifhttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/49953983-2.gif

All right, you guys need to step away from the key boards and head for the nearest strip club.

Rorty
12-06-2006, 12:25 AM
All right, you guys need to step away from the key boards and head for the nearest strip club.

Why? Do they have 5-axis CNC mills installed there nowadays? http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Rorty/PIX/Smilies/b3d8cd31.gif

masterfabr
12-06-2006, 07:49 AM
No but the dancers move in about 20 axis!!!!

petteriu
12-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Here are those pictures. I will get most of these parts welded up tomorrow night. Im just too worn out tonight to go do any welding. I need to go ahead and get the rear bearing carriers made up so I can weld those in. The carrier should be easy to make so Maybe I can get that done tomorrow afternoon. I got some 3" I beam for a jig table. I need to weld it up tomorrow as well.

Mike
You may want to check the assembly of PIRCV center housing before welding it together ! Doest' look quite right to me the way it's put together in pics.
http://www.minibuggy.net/modules/Forums/files/cuda_pir_cv_180.jpg

Petteri

Mike
12-06-2006, 12:00 PM
[quote="Mike\";p=\"20080":2k27dtty]Here are those pictures. I will get most of these parts welded up tomorrow night. Im just too worn out tonight to go do any welding. I need to go ahead and get the rear bearing carriers made up so I can weld those in. The carrier should be easy to make so Maybe I can get that done tomorrow afternoon. I got some 3" I beam for a jig table. I need to weld it up tomorrow as well.

Mike
You may want to check the assembly of PIRCV center housing before welding it together ! Doest' look quite right to me the way it's put together in pics.
http://www.minibuggy.net/modules/Forums/files/cuda_pir_cv_180.jpg

Petteri[/quote:2k27dtty]

What does not look right about it? I just stuck all the parts together so some parts may be on backwards or upsidedown. I will be cleaning all the edges of all the parts then making sure there built right before welding. Now that I look at the manual the sides are on backwards so that must be what your talking about.

Mike

petteriu
12-06-2006, 01:41 PM
What does not look right about it? I just stuck all the parts together so some parts may be on backwards or upsidedown. I will be cleaning all the edges of all the parts then making sure there built right before welding. Now that I look at the manual the sides are on backwards so that must be what your talking about.

MikeYes, this is exatcly what i was after. Caught my eye, because i've been modeling it in Pro/E.

Petteri

Mike
12-06-2006, 03:14 PM
I modeled this whole buggy in Autocad and changed over tubing sizes and sheet material sizes to standard materials. I also changed over some hardware to standard sizes.

Mike

renegadespec1
12-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Mike,
Looks great and you are really going to town on it ...If you keep up at this rate you'll be ready for the spring fling...

Mike
12-06-2006, 06:27 PM
I want to finish this bad boy up here soon. I would like to have it done around the first of the year if I can source all the parts. Doug is working hard to machine out all the machined parts so Maybe I can have everything to finish it up.

I just got my I beam jig tabled welded up. It will just sit on top of my wood table and will give me something to clamp the chassie down to so it does not warp during welding.

Mike

Mike
12-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Im ready to start notching the tubing but the first tube that has to be notched and tacked it to long for me to hold by myself. Im going to have to build some adjustable stands that clamp to my jig table so I can move the rail that goes from the nose to the roll bar hoop. I think stands are the best way to go about setting up the cage rails so there even. I hope to at least get the main rails notched and tack welded tomorrow afternoon.

Mike

Mike
12-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I want to start welding up all the laser cut parts this weekend. Should I stitch weld them together or weld the whole seem up? I have been trying to find some good pictures to see what Edge does but I cant seems to find anything that shows.

Mike

bdkw1
12-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Tack the whole thing together really well before you start welding. Also make spacers to go in all your mounting points and have them bolted in.

renegadespec1
12-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Mike,
How'd the week end go? haven't heard from ya in a while? Got some fresh pics? [smilie=drool.gif]

Mike
12-13-2006, 04:05 PM
I had some things come up which have kept me from working on the cuda. I will get some more done on it *later this week i hope.

Mike

doddi1
05-22-2007, 06:43 PM
how is this coming along? *finished i hope *[smilie=boogie.gif]

1982shawn
03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
any new progress?

ErwinBnl
02-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Still no updates?:p

Doug Heim
02-05-2010, 12:09 AM
he had to sell the project. Been awhile since I have heard from him!

ProtoDie
02-05-2010, 06:55 PM
WOW, ,,,, I did not realize the cuda plans have been out since 2006

wyattboche
02-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Any word on the barracuda 2 seater plans from edge?

Rbeckett
05-17-2010, 07:24 AM
he had to sell the project. Been awhile since I have heard from him!
Damn shame. I just started reading this build and was really getting into the thread. He had come so far in so short of a time and his welds were getting much better every pic too. I really hoped he would finish it, since his workmanship and his attention to the details was very good, I think he would have ended up with a very very nice ride indeed. Sucks when the money monster gets in the way of a good project. Did who ever he sold it to ever finish it? Too bad, what a waste..