PDA

View Full Version : My last ride on my dirt bike

boilermaker
11-10-2006, 11:46 PM
5My last ride on my dirt bike was a really great ride it just ended kinda bad. I was working on a job in the western side of colorado,30 or 40 miles north of Rifle and past Rio Blanco not quiet to Meeker. I took my Suzuki DR350 set up for normal woods riding, meaning Barkbusters, spark arrester, O-ring chain, dittybag/buttbag with spares,etc. Well Barkbusters turned out to be bad on this ride. Right outside Rifle is a riding area,BLM i think, that has a lot of room and varied terrian, from almost desert like at lower altude 94to95* when i was there and maybe 75* up on the top. This day i unloaded from pickup and in such hurry i left loading ramp down,good thing to. I then rode up the Jeep trail to the top of mountain, about 7 miles. I took my camrea to show my wife some of what she was missing and met some other riders,10 or12 with women and kids on 80's. We rode together for awhile then a black cloud came up, got cooler,rained,got cold, started to lighten, so we all started to go back down. I really didn't know them so i desided to go on ahead, some of the guys i use to ride ride with nicknamed me "Rocket", so i was a mile or more ahead when i came into a turn way to fast- I sorta kept my speed down when the outside of turn had a dropoff(500') but if the outside was to the cliff wall i didn't worry because, most of the time i could ride the wall. However this onetime when i came off the wall there was a rut that rappedly got deeper and the front wheel just slid insteade of steering back on road untill rut was 2 to 3' deep. Front forks hit and slamed me and bike over on my back,sliding with hand stuck in Barkbuster, bike pushing me by my arm,shattered shoulderblade, coller bone broke 5 or6 ribs and started lung to collapse.I looked around-nobody to help,so i got out from under and got up-nobody as far as i could see backup the switchbacks.Then i druge the bike out of rut and stood it up,one handed,funny,its usually hard when useing both hands -looked around-nobody. Luckey it was downhill so put in nutural and pushed and jumped on, luckey,it fired off, any other time it would of been flooded. I only had to ride 7 or8 miles to truck and luckey met a rider i had met before. He could tell i was hurt, left shoulder was 4 or5'' lower than right. I rode up my loading ramp and he tied bike down and got keys for me and i drove to hospital, but first had to go get my wife (as i had the truck)and then back to hospital. How i got back home to southeast TEXAS is another story.

bdkw1
11-11-2006, 02:22 AM
Woa, that sucks! I've thought about that with My barkbusters. But I'm pretty good about jumping the fork off if I don't think I'm going to make it. I always figured in a crash I was much better off without the bike.

Reflex
11-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Ouch! That sucks.. I know some people who won't use bark busters because of the risk of getting your hand stuck in a crash.

Gene
11-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Glad you are all right. How long to heal?

I've had similar rocket rides with medical attention following cranial/anal extraction. I also got to drive back one handed - load the bike and then drive for hours.

I was married then so more misery to deal with when I got home. Now when I get injured I make sure to self impose the appropriate level guilt.

Gene

masterfabr
11-11-2006, 12:11 PM
My wife just laughs at me!Tells me- good job.I don't get any respect.Ya know what? I return the favor as much as possible! Makes for a good marriage.

boilermaker
11-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I missed 6 months work,spent all my savings, sold my old work truck,we almost drained wifes business account,sold my other house that was supposed to be retirement income,and borrowed some.When i could pass phyiscal to go back to work, i could only raise 8lbs overhead with left hand,you talk about a real bitch tiging tubes. Some positions i had to have help getting back out of the hole. It's better now. Wish i'd had a roll cage and harness then, i'm telling you !! *Boilermaker

LV2XLR8
07-09-2009, 03:44 PM
And thus the reason you swithched from bikes to buggys.

motoman8652003
08-05-2009, 12:34 PM
This is the same reason from switching from bikes for the last 20 years to buggies. To many injuries for me

LEE1969GB
08-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Bark busters= wrist breakers but then if you hit a tree they save your fingers, maybe if they were hinged/ spring loaded so they will not come back but will hinge forward and no need to cut the end off the throttle which gets full of dirt.