PDA

View Full Version : gear shifter

edride
11-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I am having trouble finding a gear shifter for a Hayabusa that attaches to the motor, dose any one have a link or a size, all of the motorcycle dealers in my area don't know.

thanks

Gene
11-08-2006, 11:33 AM
What engine do you have? Do you need to modify the shifter? Have you tried E-bay?
Gene

edride
11-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Sorry

Hayabusa

Ed

K-fab
11-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Welcome to the site edride.

You have the right idea with this place - ask questions! (just give us enough info... cough, cough) * [smilie=alright.gif] * *[smilie=boogie.gif]

Okay, since I'm in one of my "smartasser" modes I'm gonna ask:
What does edride?
or should that be a fill in the blank:
edride _____.

No offense meant, just having fun. *When I read your name that popped into my pea brain.

Are you building a buggy? *Do you already have one done? *Fill us in!

Once again, welcome to minibuggy.net * <--- Happy now bug??? * [smilie=blowkiss.gif]

Bugpac
11-08-2006, 04:28 PM
yes welcome, but to make you aware kfab, this is minibuggy.net , as if you go check it out, there is a min-buggy.net as well.....

just fyi, as i am in a smartass mood as well... [smilie=alright.gif]

Rorty
11-08-2006, 04:52 PM
There are a lot of smartasses on this forum, though some aren't nearly as smart as they like to think they are - I'm not referring to either of the above I hasten to add. *[smilie=biggrin.gif]

If your Busa engine didn't come with its gear changer, you're bound to be able to pick one up at a wrecker's yard a lot cheaper than from a Suzuki dealer. You'll probably find that one of the cheap aftermarket ones will fit OK too. Many models across different manufacturers share the same spline BTW.

All you need is the splined clamp part of the lever, then you simply weld your own set-up onto it.

KWiKSand
11-08-2006, 05:12 PM
I don't have one either. *I figured I would try to make my own. *Take a little *chunk of aluminum, drill a hole, and cut a slot, ... put it on and tighten enough to mark it and then sit down with a little angle file and file away while watching the boob tube.

Bugpac
11-08-2006, 05:21 PM
kent you should easily be able to pick one up on ebay for your engine, as i need one as well....im going ebay, just not going to buy from this m fer, estatemotorcars, as the customer service sux, i bought a airbox from him, i called on the phone while i was looking, asked if sensors were there, he said yes, i hit buy it now, now i got a airbox less a boost sensor, and he says he was going to get me one, after 1 week i call back, he said "i dont have one" not bothering to email back, so i am just going to paypal for refund and tell them i didnt get all the parts.... [smilie=angry.gif]

edride
11-08-2006, 05:39 PM
thanks for all the info

Ed

trying do attach a pic but having trouble.

Rorty
11-08-2006, 05:40 PM
I don't have one either. *I figured I would try to make my own. *Take a little *chunk of aluminum, drill a hole, and cut a slot, ... put it on and tighten enough to mark it and then sit down with a little angle file and file away while watching the boob tube.

We can pick up the cheap import gear levers here for around $10 so that's about 7.60 of your beer tokens. Is it really worh sitting and filing one?

You could of course just drill a pilot hole in your bit of aluminium and then hammer it onto the gear shaft thereby broaching the splines into the aluminium - BTDT with steering wheel flanges.

K-fab
11-08-2006, 05:47 PM
trying do attach a pic but having trouble.
in the window below the one you type into, you'll notice it says "Add an Attachment"

Follow the prompts in the windows below.
Browse for your picture on your computer, using, obviously the browse button, once you find what you want you can make a comment in the window under that. *Then hit the "Add Attachment" button. *It'll upload your pic and open up another add attachment window set.

Once you hit submit, it'll stick it on the board now known as minibuggy.net...

Bugpac
11-08-2006, 05:56 PM
now known, its always been known as that...lol

hero_saku39
11-08-2006, 06:41 PM
any cycle shop should have a but load of emgo shift levers to choose from.. usually about 8 or 10 bucks. Just measure your shaft diameter and depth (keep jokes to your selves) count your splines. does it use a set screw or a nut on the end to keep it in place.

Gene
11-08-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm probably saying something you already know.

The Hayabusa uses a rod to rotate the shifter mounted to the spline. Typical rear-set sport bike stuff. A link showing the entire system is in this response. Only 30 bux.

All you need is the piece that goes on the transmission shift shaft. Use a .25 inch clevis and morse cable instead of the rod. Smaller clevis's seem to break for some of us.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hayabusa ... dZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hayabusa-shift-linkage_W0QQitemZ130044804482QQihZ003QQcategoryZ35 580QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Gene

hero_saku39
11-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Just thinkin he could find a 8 dollar shifter and cut the important part of and fab what he needs.

Rorty
11-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Just thinkin he could find a 8 dollar shifter and cut the important part of and fab what he needs.

Or, remove the rod end from the gear shaft lever and replace it for one from the same place you get your shifter cable from! http://www.controlcables.com/catalog/175-403-0035TQ.jpg

Mind you, with such a short throw, it will be trickier to get the gear stick in the cockpit spot on.

standfast
11-10-2006, 12:24 PM
mcmaster has parts to build the shifter pretty easily and cheap (cables/cable ends/even a shifter that can be cut down or left at the 15" height)

[url=http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.asp?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=1084&WRQuickLinks=Control+Cables&sesnextrep=631755345423945&ScreenWidth=1280&McMMainWidth=1068url:35dcmbln]Shifter Parts on McMaster[/url:35dcmbln]