PDA

View Full Version : BMW CV's/axles

BSG
10-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Rorty you'll probably know the answer to this if not hopefully someone else can help.
the CV's I've got are out of an E12??? BMW on the side they are marked
7 153 15 01 67 001 LOBRO 16/85 W GERMANY
the CV housing is 108dia 40mm thick
the axles are 28spline with an OD of 31.2
Does anybody know if 28spline porche axles will fit these CV's I've been told the BMW 28 spline and porche 28 spline are the same is this right????
It a lot easier to buy longer porche axles than BMW "off the shelf"

Rorty
10-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Those are the same as the so-called Porsche "930" CVs, so yes, the Porsche axles will fit.

BTW, the "15" (third set of figures in that part number) refer to 108mm OD.

BSG
10-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Thanks Rorty as always your a great help. (even for a victorian)
Any idea what the other figures mean??
and what do you mean by so called "930" CV's. I bought them from a wrecker and was told they were off a BMW, I think the wrecker was ASV.
if their the same as "930"s does this mean they will have 25deg of movement??

BSG
10-12-2006, 01:39 AM
Sorry Rorty another question for you.
Having worked out my axle length I have 15mm of axle plunge. I understand the idea of lapping in the axles so that they slide freely in the knuckles but with out the circlip on full suspension droop what stops the axle from moving all the way to one end??? With 15mm of plunge will that be to much and not leave enough spline in the knuckle if the axle does move all the way to one side???

Rorty
10-12-2006, 02:01 AM
There's so much hype about the CVs fitted to the Porsche 911 Carrera Turbo which were just 108mm CVs made by Lobro and fitted to dozens of other cars.

I think someone, probably in the US, was looking for some better CVs for their "Baja Bug" and looked underneath a Porsche while they were scrounging around their local Audi/Porsche/VW wrecker's and ever since they've held a status of exotica.

I'm not exactly sure what all the other numbers mean because sometimes they were brand-specific, but the prefix is often 06 or 07 etc, followed by the "Type" (in your case, 153), then the size (in this case, 15 which denotes 108mm OD and central race - 20mm + 20mm = 40mm wide) and lastly, any code that Lobro placed there for the car maker, although often, there is a set of three figures representing the mounted length of two Cvs complete on an axle.

Lobro have dozens of Types of CV from single plunge types like yours to FWD non-plunging ones and ones that come with a weld on stub axle.

15mm of plunge is a bit much really - 5mm to 10mm is better. Normally the axle is retained onto the knuckles by two circlips, but off-roaders usually only fit the inner ones and in the case of the R6 and R82s, they don't run any at all.

If you can, fit a circlip to the inner ends of the axles.

If you can't reduce the amount of plunge at full droop, then you'll probably have to use longer axles and off-set the CV alignment to compensate.

Rorty
10-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Drat! I forgot to mention the angularity of the 108mm CVs. About 23 degrees is the max without fitting 4140 cages.

onetoncv
11-04-2006, 09:24 PM
rorty I think you have me on knowledge on interchange of 6 ball c/v parts buddy- Do you by any chance know how to convert a mitsubishi diamante 6 cyl axle from a nissan stanza gxe? hehe - Jess

Rorty
11-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Sorry, never heard of them. Try GKN.

onetoncv
11-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Gkn went out of buisness hehe- not really -They build to keep them selves going -If you ever saw a ols bravada GKN front shaft or a bronco ll rear oem shaft i really think your would understand that GKN has failed on the rear prop market- There conciderd the laughing stock of driveline - Now for c/v's slower operating stuff there well c/v's and okay- Jess :)