PDA

View Full Version : Honda Odessy gearbox.

flyerrider
08-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi everybody. I just found this site in glamisdunes.com. This site is EXACTLY what I have been needing. We are currently wrapping up the design portion of our single seat mini buggy. It is basicly a 3/4 scale Class 1 car and it looks like a Chenowth Millenium 1 seater or like a RC 10. Specs are 90" wheel base, 75" track width, 120" overall length (has to fit in the toy trailer with my bike!!!) F & R A-Arms, 20" travel F & R, lazer cut interlocking plate A-Arms and bulkheads (assembles like LEGOs!!), CNC light duty front hubs and brakes, BTR beadlock wheels (wide 5), 30x9.5x15 BFG AT, Fox 2.0x10 co with mounts already built for a 2.0 bypass in the rear, 1.25 .120 DOM chassis, CBR 600F4i engine. All of the suspension and chassis geometry was designed in Autocad and Solidworks. Now hears my question. Reverse is a must. I currently have a Honda Odessy gearbox with U-Joints, brakes, axles, hubs etc. Will this work with a F4i engine? I know Honda makes some bullet proof stuff but I'm still pretty leary about it. Specs on the engine are 110hp at 12500rpm and 50.2 ft.lbs at 10500rpm. This car will RARELY see sand since I'm not really a glamis fan and 90% of my riding is at Ocotillo Wells in the desert. Although this is for my wife, she beats the living cr@p out of my friends Pilot and I will have a lot of fun with it as well. The gearbox has a final drive ratio of 10:1 so sprocket size is also a question someone could possibly answer for me. Another question I have is the output of the stator. I want to run 4 lights at 100w each. I know this is a lot but I REALLY don't want to have to go with HIDs. It could probably be re-wound but Baja Designs doesn't want to touch it and I don't know of anybody else. GREAT forum and thanks!!!!!

Bugpac
08-14-2006, 08:57 PM
ask bajatex about the lights, as he is actually the designer or design team that designes the products from baja design....also ask hoser about the oddy box, he is the grand master at pilotodyssey.com, and surely he can answer that question, as for 10:1 i dont think you will be happy with that gear ratio, and there will be so much torque on the final gear, poofkaboom, i may be wrong but...... bullnerd was just asking kfab about a rpm box, dan roberto look into that, stay way away from transworks mini diff, also check out jeffco, but have a fat wallet because revers does not come cheap, set it up with a direct chain drive and or jackshaft and put a large ring gear and electric starter for reverse, do some checking around the sight you will find the answers to almost any question you want to ask.... 8)

welcome to the sight by the way...

K-fab
08-14-2006, 08:58 PM
The old 350 gearbox will NOT hold up. Not a chance.

The Pilot tranny is good for about 110 - 115 hp and then you start having issues with the slipper clutch. You can increase the spring preload in the slipper clutch and get closer to 125 hp or so, but then it's touch and go.

You need to get an RPM Transmission - Dan Roberto is the only one making the RPM box. He's been doing it since the mid 80s, from what I understand.

You can purchase directly from him, if you can find his contact info - he has no web site, just a phone number - or you can purchase one from [url=http://www.atvracing1.com:3fexn2hq]ATV Racing[/url:3fexn2hq] or [url=http://www.desertdogoffroad.com:3fexn2hq]Desert Dog Off Road[/url:3fexn2hq] too.

You can get ratios from 11:1 down to 4.6:1

Box runs in the $2K+ range

Bugpac
08-14-2006, 09:01 PM
oh yeah, kfab is a old pilot guy as well, so he knows to, like he said and i thought, poofkaboom...... 8)

Bullnerd
08-14-2006, 09:13 PM
This thing sounds sweet ,how about some pics. :D

bdkw1
08-14-2006, 09:35 PM
I hope your not planning on laying the shocks down like the older Melliniums. They never really handled all that well. Josh Wadell even tried moving the mounting positions which helped. The newer cars have the front shocks much more upright but the rears are still kinda far down.

flyerrider
08-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Wow. quick responses!!!!! Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I do not have any picks since we are still in the design phase. Most of the design stuff is "top secret" as well . It is my brother's decision and I am going to respect that. :roll:. The shock placement is nothing like the millenium chassis. The shock rate is so progressive on the millenium that tuning is an absolute nightmare. The shocks are as upright as possible with the shock 89 degrees to the arm at full bump. The car will be set up with 10" bump 10" droop with the ride height having 14-15" of ground clearance (remember it is a desert car). What I was refering to with the millenium chassis was the chassis shape. It will have sidepods that will have a built in cooler on one side and a storage compartment for parts, tools, etc. on the other. Our typical riding group has 6-10 people, all on bikes, so having a "fast support vehicle" packed with supplies is going to be great. The gearbox definately is a bummer. I probably missed it but does anyone rebuild these to handle more power/abuse? I think I got Dan Roberto's number from Desert Karts. All of the rear suspension and chassis geometry has been designed to accomodate the Odessy gearbox dimensions. This project is on a tight budget so $2K+ plus 930's plus axles is going to be a real stretch. The lazer cutting alone is going to be close to a grand. The origional plan was to run this with a chain drive to the 350 gearbox until I could get something better. I might be able to get my hands on an old Comet gearbox if I can finally convince my friend to give up his "Iper" project. Are those gearboxes any good? He already has one that works and the the other one is in such disrepair that it will never get back together. If I can't afford a better one I might just run the odessy gearbox and see what happens. After all it will be a Heck of a lot easier to convince my wife about $2k after it has blown up!!! I think a gearbox with a flange to flange distance of 8-9" would probably work with what we already have designed. The plunge in the CV's would take care of the rest. In regards to the lights I talked to baja designs. They wanted around 600 a HID if I recall correctly. I might just buy a HID conversion kit on ebay for some Hella 1000's if the stator can't handle 100w halogens. I'm also planning on running a full size battery up front to help with the lights but mostly to offset the unsprung weight of 15" rims and 30" tires. Thanks for all of the replies.

Bugpac
08-15-2006, 04:57 AM
Seems we are all on a tight budget, oh except one guy, anyway build what you can afford and dont try to do it all at once, i can almost guarantee, building from your own design, 6 mo minimum to fire it up, and what is top secret, the drawings, dont give dimensions, you said it looke very similar to a chenoworth, dont you think they wanted there stuff non copied either....post some cad photos..... 8)

CBRhino
12-04-2006, 10:34 AM
We used a jackshaft with a starter motor and flexplate for our reverse on our CBR powered rhino.....it works well (we were on a VERY tight budget!) and while it won't power out of steep angled situations, it's still a HUGE help if you wind up having to push it......fine for backing up on the track, in the dunes, or out of/into garage and trailers.......

boilermaker
12-04-2006, 07:36 PM
In regards to your electric reverse , what is gear ratio of starter gear to flex plate teeth,and any other reduction between starter and wheels.Also what size wheels , thanks, i'm checking out all i find out about. *Boilermaker

minibajaman
12-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Like K-fab said, that Odyssey gearbox will not hold up for too long. *They break gear teeth in the 350's that are only putting out 40 hp. *The Comet box is not much better, in fact probably worse as those are only designed for about 20 hp. *The U-joints also break a lot in the 350's, and you'd have to get longer shafts if you want 20" of travel. *You might be better off selling that whole setup as 350 gearboxes and parts seem to be hard to come by and putting the money towards a RPM box if you are really set on reverse. *Otherwise you could just set it up with chains for forward, see how it works and get the gearbox later.

Danno
12-07-2006, 11:29 PM
[quote="K-fab";p="9402"]The old 350 gearbox will NOT hold up. *Not a chance.

The Pilot tranny is good for about 110 - 115 hp and then you start having issues with the slipper clutch. *You can increase the spring preload in the slipper clutch and get closer to 125 hp or so, but then it's touch and go.

You need to get an RPM Transmission - Dan Roberto is the only one making the RPM box. * He's been doing it since the mid 80s, from what I understand.

You can purchase directly from him, if you can find his contact info - he has no web site, just a phone number - or you can purchase one from [url=http://www.atvracing1.com:aobqy5de]ATV Racing[/url:aobqy5de] or [url=http://www.desertdogoffroad.com:aobqy5de]Desert Dog Off Road[/url:aobqy5de] too.

HEY! *I do too have a website! *OK OK a domain but geeeese!
rpmgearboxes.com *Thanks,

Dan

Danno
12-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Also fellas, there is a nice picture on the Motor and Transmission section put together by diirk and look at the differential options on page 23. *BTW, thanks Mark...

Danno

CBRhino
12-08-2006, 11:11 AM
In regards to your electric reverse , what is gear ratio of starter gear to flex plate teeth,and any other reduction between starter and wheels.Also what size wheels , thanks, i'm checking out all i find out about. *Boilermaker

That's a good question......I have to count the teeth - we are using the flexplate and I believe the starter, as well - from a Chevy Aveo. *I'm running 26" tires on my rhino right now......and it probably weighs about 1300 lbs.....maybe a little more. *I'm currently running the reverse off my little rhino battery, but I bought an Optima Red Top that I'm putting in for it....should help keep the charge up alot longer. *Like I said.....I have used my reverse on the track, and whenever i need to back up out of the trailer, campsites, or whatever - but it's not a powerful reverse.......and if you use it too much, you will lose battery power. *It does however, SURE beat the hell out of trying to push my rhino around! *My ideal reverse would be something like the RPM box - I just can't afford it. *Also, I'm not willing to give up my drive gear ratios right now -so until I find a box that can be set up to match my current gearing, I'll keep on using my current reverse......but I'm keeping my eyes peeled!

guy48065
12-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Also fellas, there is a nice picture on the Motor and Transmission section put together by diirk and look at the differential options on page 23. *BTW, thanks Mark...

Danno

Anytime, Dan. *Just trying to drag you into the 21st century *[smilie=biggrin.gif] *

Now about that "website"...

bajatex
12-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Let me clear some things up on the stator and lights. *The stator on your engine is a 3 phase stator that is allready wound to the max output from the factory unlike the single phase stators that we can re-wind that come on most dirtbikes. *You are probably making about 300-400watts. *Keep in mind that you have a fuel pump, fans etc that constantly consume power. *The average price for our lights are as follows:
La Paz 8" HID $499.00
Fuego 4" HID $399.00
La paz 8" halogen *$109.00
Fuego 4" halogen $99.00

If I were you I would run 2-4 of the Fuego 4" holgens with our 55watt superbright bulbs. *They only consume 55watts but the performance is that of a 100watt bulb. *This is very good light. *You can upgrade to the HID in the future if you choose. *You will not be dissapointed with the quality of these lights. If you have any questions you can e-mail me tex@bajadesigns.com (mailto:tex@bajadesigns.com)

Bajatex

bajatex
12-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Forgot,

*Welcome, sounds like a nice build you will have. Good luck

bajatex

flyerrider
12-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Alright. *Oddessy box is getting ditched. *I'm going to go with a jackshaft setup with an electric reverse. *If someone could point me in the right direction as far as sprocket sizes that would be great. *I'm using a CBR 600F4 engine with 30" tires. *I'm going to go pick up a 4x4 S-10 front driveline right now. *Also anyone have a good idea what a good price would be for the Oddy box? *It has everything. *Clutch, axles, bearing carriers, hubs, F/N/R shift handle and cables, and rotor and caliper. *I'll probably post it on Ebay if I can't find somebody that needs one.

Bajatex: *Thanks for the reply. *I had no idea the stater was that powerfull. *I am going to go with 2 trailtech HID's on the front bumper and 3-4 8" hellas with an HID conversion on the light rack. *Those trailtech's are awesome. *I just got my buddy 2 for his banshee and they are incredibly bright for the size. *Also, $150 a piece is a really good price. * I checked out the Baja Designs 4" and 8" HID's at Kartek. *They are definately bad@ss but their a little pricy.

CBRhino
12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Bajatex - I have a CBR600f4i - I'm assuming I have the same stator - which would support the same lights? *I like the look of those fuegos..... [smilie=biggrin.gif]

buggito
12-08-2006, 04:58 PM
I saw some of the going for over a grand Once, usually around 500 to 600 $ the gearbox alone, check on Odyssey forum (two big forum at least out there) the price go up and down ( market value)..
I hope it help

Bugpac
12-08-2006, 06:12 PM
there is a diff between a pilot box and a oddy box, pilot box is pricey, oddy box is cheap...

K-fab
12-09-2006, 06:34 PM
yes there is a difference between the two. *The Pilot is better, but it's still a >100 hp box. *It does have a slipper clutch on the input shaft that saves the gears from poofkaboom, but it also slips about 100 hp or so...

Pilot boxes are rare - very rare and pricy too.

You're also limited on the output options - you'll have to make adaptors for CVs. *It's a pain.