PDA

View Full Version : DIY engine control system build

rowycoracing
07-05-2006, 10:48 AM
This will be a bit of a different thread but it should be interesting to some. What I am planning to do is build a complete electronic engine control system from scratch. The system will control fuel injection, spark and timing, fuel pressure and delivery, boost, cooling fans etc. It will also be built using closed loop control with a wide band O2 sensor. Why you ask? 1) because I have time and I want to learn how to do it and 2)I've done some research and I think that I can get significantly more performance from some of these bike engines by changing the way the fuel, spark and air are controlled. By that I mean performance that is specifically geared to use in a 800 to 1200 pound buggy as opposed to the way the engines come tuned for emissions legal and for a crotch rocket. Also I want to program the system so that it is very easy to add a turbo to the system. I have access to both an engine dyno and a chassis dyno so as the build goes along I'll be able to test the performance in stock configuration and then doccument inproved performance as I go along. I have lots of research to do to figure out the electronics necessary and the programming that will be needed and my access to the dyno's is limited by the teaching schedule at a local university so this will take a while to get done. So here goes ... Tim

rowycoracing
07-05-2006, 10:57 AM
The first task is to build a board that will house all of the relays, breakers and fuses in one compact spot. Also this board will be the termination spot for the entire wiring harness. This way the whole set up will be very compact and easily mounted in a small enclosure that is sealed from he elements. Here I am laying out all the components ... mainly a dozen resistors or so, a few capacitors, some relays and relay sockets and a IC board. There will be fuses and relays to control all the engine functions as well as realys and fuses for other buggy needs like lights etc.

rowycoracing
07-05-2006, 11:00 AM
relays, sockets, connectors etc.

rowycoracing
07-05-2006, 11:01 AM
I will use standard off the shelf cabling where I can.

rowycoracing
07-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Realy board under construction, most of the components soldered in in this shot.

rowycoracing
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Relay board completed. It has 4 auto resetting electronic relays, four 40 amp relays, 4 blade fuse sockets and termination blocks for all functions such as intake air temp, intake air pressure, boost pressure, throttle position, O2 sensor, up to 12 (3 sets of 4) injectors, coolant temp, oil temp, cam position sensor, RPM sensor, gear position sensor etc. Like I said earlier if I did it right then every wire needed in the harness can come to this one spot.

rowycoracing
07-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Now I will build an engine simulator. This will be a fairly simple board that will have potentiometers mounted on it that will produce simulated outputs designed to simulate engine functions. It will output simulated coolant temp, injector function, throttle position, engine rpm, O2 signal etc. The reason for taking this step is to be able to have something that I can test my engine control system with. The potentiomenter will allow me to simulate each parameter through it's full output range without having to try and do that through the engine. This will not be part of the final install, just a way to test the CPU and to diagnose problems is something fails. The simulator board is the one on the left here, I'm soldering some removeable jumpers on the back so I can simulate either a wide band or a narrow band O2 sensor.

rowycoracing
07-05-2006, 11:27 AM
OK, the relay board and simulator board are all done. This pic shows what the finished system will look like. The relay board is connected to the aluminum case what will eventually hold the CPU using a standard db37 cable and connectors. That's the whole set up, with the sijmulator board being used only for testing. The relay board is about 3.5" by 5.5" and the CPU enclosure is aboout 4" by 6". The interconnecting db37 cable can be any length I want. The other side of the CPU (shown in the pic where no cable is connected) will output through a standard db9 cable to a laptop for programming and real time engine tuning. There will also be three LED just to idnicate proper power up and basic function. For now that aluminum CPU box is empty ... building the CPU is the next step and it is a lot harder!

KWiKSand
07-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Are these boards from megasquirt? http://www.megasquirt.info/index.html

This should be a interesting thread. Thanks for sharing.

rowycoracing
07-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah there are several DIY sites out there for this type of thing. Mostly all for cars as far as I have found. Megasquirt is a good one and the megasuiirt boards are a good base to start with because they are rugged and have some circuitry in place. In general I am going to use the megasquirt info and right now I am planning to use magatune for the real time engine tuning. That may change though. And yes the relay board is a megasuirt type board with a couple of circuits added for other buggy functions like lights, an oil cooler fan etc. The simulator is a magasquirt board with the extra O2 circuit added (so I can have a wide band circuit and a narrow band circuit) and two other pots so I can try to use MAP, throttle position and the cam sensor all together. The engine I will be doing this testing on is a 2005 CBR 1000rr which has primary and secondary injectors so I am going to do my own programming to get those working sequentially (that's not something megasquirt does now). I also want to add a timing advance/retard function for when I boost it with the turbo which I think will take some more custom programming unless I can find a DIY specific to that somewhere. Last I'll add direct boost control to the megasquirt board. Should be interesting to see how it performs in the end I think.

rowycoracing
07-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Oops I forgot the cost info. So far I have spent just under $100 to get the components to complete the simulator, relay system, cables and aluminum enclosures. Once I had a design planed it took me about 1 hr to assemble and solder the components onto the two boards and to wire the db37 cable and connectors.

rowycoracing
07-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Hmmm, based on the lack of response there is not much interest in this topic I guess. Oh well I am still plugging away on the install and testing so I'll post a few more updates once in a while anyway just for grins. Attached are the results of two dyno runs from yesterday on a 5 cyl engine that is being used for another project. A DIY (B&G type) engine and fuel management system was swapped on to this engine pretty much exactly as I am planning to do with the CBR 1000rr with the exception of a few programming enhancements to the CBR set up. Otherwise the engine was left stock with the exception of a wide band O2 sensor that replaced the stock narrow band set up. We were able to keep the stock intake air temp sensor, throttle position sensor and water temp sender which is nice. Also the stock hall sensor, coil and distributor was used and the system just programmed to control the stock components. On this engine we were able to bump the peak horsepower from 128 to 189 and the peak torque from 151 to 226 with just basic tuning using the new electronic engine management system. Next we'll use the new electronic control system to fine tune the whole fuel map and then to walk the boost up a bit and generate a new map. I think we can get the HP up over 225 pretty easily while still allowing it to run reliably on pump gas. We'll see. The approx 50% improvement we have seen so far isn't bad at all for the first runs. I don't think we will be able to get the same percent improvement on the crotch rocket engine quite so easily but over time we shall see.

diirk
07-06-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm actually very interested in what you're doing, and impressed that you're doing it. But, I really don't have anything to share since this is totally out of my realm of experience, except, Cool!

Trently
07-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Ditto!!!!!!!!!! : :?

tenaja
07-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Ditto.

I've actually considered doing it, too...but I don't have time to even replace axles, much less an EFI.

Bugpac
07-06-2006, 08:51 PM
i myself am just considering trying to talk tim into making me one some day!!!!! :D

rowycoracing
07-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Well if I do it right, post the significant info, and achieve significantly increased performance then you all can DIY too. If I fail to get a significant performance improvement then my bad.

rowycoracing
07-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Got the CPU completed today. It took something around 5 hours to do it. Cost for all components was $238.

rowycoracing
07-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Well I got the engine simulator that I built last week hooked up to the newly completed CPU, powered it all up temporarily with a 9 volt battery and all plugged the CPU output into my laptop running megatune. If the pics are clear enough you can see it works! Very cool indeed. Now comes the hard part of figuring out the programming/fuel maps for the crotch rocket engine first normally aspirated and then turbocharged. That's going to take a month or two of tinkering and research I think.

MC@ Performance Fab
07-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Understanding how it all works on a engine is simple but understanding the electronics to the point of building a ecu is way beyond my grasp.
I just bought a Motec for a motor i am building but the tuning is all done buy my brother who is as good at that stuff as i am bad.

The post is cool and not the same old stuff, keep it coming.

rowycoracing
07-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Not that hard of a build, just a lot smaller than a buggy frame and uses a soldering iron instead of a tig welder :D Programming for a crotch rocket engine will be a whole differnet deal though. :wink:

KWiKSand
07-07-2006, 08:08 PM
I agree, the building of the unit would be a snap as long as there were decent instructions (I work at a electronics place ) but setting it up and programing it and tieing it in to all the sensors afterwards would be where I am sure I would get lost.

Gene
07-09-2006, 09:36 PM
This is very interesting and could bring DIY black-box technology to the mini scene. Very cool.

Best of all is that you make it sound within reach of our skill set.

Thanks Tim!

Gene

hotwheels000
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I also love the idea of being able to increase the power and torque of our motors,just way beyond my knowledge in the programming dept. I do volenteer my rail and motor for further testing tuning purposes if you would like. :) It is a cbr900rr carburated model though. :cry:

bajatex
07-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Ditto from me too!!!

Keep us updated. This is very interesting. Hey at least no one from this board has gone on another forum and portrayed this as being their idea, yet.
Pretty discouraging when you see that crap going on.

Bajatex

tenaja
07-11-2006, 07:57 PM
c'mon, tex--I found out about the megasquirt back in 2000 when I was flying giant scale RC planes (mine was "little" since it only had an 80cc engine, and a 100" wingspan). I was thinking about using EFI for an airplane engine, since throttle response is so critical to aerobatics. So of course I thought of it first!!! :lol: I just haven't tried it yet! :roll:

Bugpac
07-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Ditto from me too!!!

Keep us updated. This is very interesting. Hey at least no one from this board has gone on another forum and portrayed this as being their idea, yet.
Pretty discouraging when you see that crap going on.

Bajatex

lol, i myself plagerized you bajatex a bit, tho i just added my little bits, protodie actually drew it up. if this what is refered to....... 8)
dont think i claimed it to be my sweet idea tho.. :?:

rowycoracing
07-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Well I am sure I didn't think of it first. I don't even know if I'd be the first to try it. Nor do I really care to be honest. I am learning a lot and having fun doing it so I plan to just keep my head down, ignore any flack and concentrate on getting it done. I'll drop a few summary posts and pics along the way in case some brave soul decides to plow the same path sometime in the future. :D Tim :D

tenaja
07-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Just in case you guys aren't sure, there are some folks on the glamisdunes site that have been doing it for years...

rowycoracing
07-11-2006, 10:34 PM
On crotch rocket engines? Really! Can you point me to a post please, that would be very helpful if someone has solved some of the fuel map issues already. I couldn't find any. Or are you referring to the car engine stuff? Definintely nothing new about DIY injection systems and turbo's, that's for sure. Cheers! Tim

KWiKSand
07-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Have you looked in here Tim?
http://www.msefi.com/viewforum.php?f=54 ... 9646255f1f (http://www.msefi.com/viewforum.php?f=54&sid=369d559c8f7647b48ccecf9646255f1f)

tenaja
07-11-2006, 11:27 PM
No, GD.com doesn't have guys using MSefi on crotch rockets, but the msefi user forum has a whole forum just for bikes...
In a case like this, like da man said, it don' matta who thot of it fust, it mattuhs if'n he lahks it.

rowycoracing
07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah thanks guys, I have been reading all I can on the megasquirt/megatune DIY site (and others) looking for the bike engines. I did find the bike specific threads. I was hoping maybe someone had stumbled into a case where it was done for a heavier load service like the buggy though. I would like to see if I can get the tuning different, develop some more torque earlier and not have to rev. quite so high ... move the performance band down a bit in the RPM range while adding something like 50% to the overall performance specs with the electronics and turbo. All that without going to a stroked engine or anything else internal/mechanical. Based on the commments I mistakenly thought someone might have stumbled on to a case where that ground was already plowed. Any lessons learned for buggy type service would save me some time and I'm sure some headaches! Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it... Keep 'em coming if you happen to stumble onto anything buggy (or high load) specific. :D Tim :D

tenaja
07-12-2006, 12:56 AM
...I would like to see if I can get the tuning different, develop some more torque earlier and not have to rev. quite so high ... move the performance band down a bit in the RPM range while adding something like 50% to the overall performance specs with the electronics and turbo. All that without going to a stroked engine or anything else internal/mechanical....
Most of the low end torque you'll get is because you can richen it up where it's supposed to be. EPA rules make them smog it at some percentage of redline (like 1/4?), so they lean it out around that RPM to make it pass. A proper tune will help a lot.

Your turbo will easily double the power...isn't it at 7psi? Or is it 14? I don't remember--it's late--but it doesn't take much, because normal atmospheric pressure is at that number (I think 7) , so if you add another 7, you are doubling it... double air = double power.

Aside from that, without swapping the cam and changing the headers, you won't change the powerband a huge amount. Smaller, longer headers will move the powerband down lower--obviously, at the expense of top end. You'll want to calculate where it is before "randomly" changing it.

Kludge
07-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Hi Tim,

In a NA engine, The combination of a slighltly rich fuel mix and more agressive spark timing advance will give you the best improvements in torque in the low to mid RPM range.

With a Turbo, the key to making the powerband wider is tuning the tubo housings to build boost lower in the RPM band.

One interesting possibility is to have an "active" waste-gate controlled by the Megasquirt to adjust the powerband.

/Frank

bajatex
07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Ok guys, Sorry I had just realized that someone from this board did not even bother to comment on a suggestion I had to fix the play in a steering rack yet had no problem posting the solution on another board like they had come up with it. I guess my p***y was hurting that day. It's all good. Sorry if I put a negative vibe to this topic. I think it's awsome what you are doing.

bajatex

rowycoracing
07-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey B'tex, all is well with me ... didn't have a clue what you were referring to but certainly no offense taken here. Kludge and Ten ... yeah the OEM designers are very smart guys ... smarter than me when it comes to EFI for sure ... but I do know from first hand experience that they are significantly limited by the enviro rules when tuning. Also by what they call "driveability". As you point out I'll not be limited by that stuff ... within reason anyway. But as you both also point out I am certainly limited by the physical design characteristics of the engine unless we get into machining new parts. We'll see what I can accomplish with the path that I am on and the before and after dyno runs will tell the naked truth in the end. Interesting idea to use the prototype section of the MS board to make the waste gate active. Hmmm. I just finished the tuning on that 5 cyl that I posted about earlier in this thread and the gains are truly amazing. We did the same deal there ... worked within the physical constraints of the engine but tried to go all out in customizing the turbo and the EFI. Worked very well and accomplished all that I hoped for and more on that one but of course that engine design is a totally different beast. Well ... onward and upward with the project ...
:D Tim :D

tenaja
07-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Ok guys, Sorry I had just realized that someone from this board did not even bother to comment on a suggestion I had to fix the play in a steering rack yet had no problem posting the solution on another board like they had come up with it. I guess my p***y was hurting that day. It's all good. Sorry if I put a negative vibe to this topic. I think it's awsome what you are doing.
bajatex
I was just joshin' you. I had seen the MS efi a few years ago, but hadn't thought about putting it on a buggy until recently, when somebody on gd started asking about it for their subi.

Bugpac
07-12-2006, 05:02 PM
8) "bajatex has some sweet ideas to copy tho"

diirk
07-12-2006, 05:11 PM

bajatex

Whew! I think that lets me off the hook. 8) I've been reading this forum and related stuff so much, I was worried I had plagerized a bit. But, I don't think I've steered any one in that direction.... :roll:

MC@ Performance Fab
07-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Your not going to see much just playing with fuel mapping.
Throwing some timing at it or bypassing the timing retard on the hayabusa motors will help low end.
The only way to really help is cams, intake, exhaust. then tune.
We used to have a 600cc mini sprint with a carburated honda f2. In stock form it was a pile of shiit. I built a intake manifold for fuel injection and had custom cams ground. Ran it on methanol using a haltec ecu. My brother tuned it on a dyno then we fine tuned it at the track and the differance was night&day. It would smoke the tires at will anywhere on the track.
I have a busa and if i ever finish the chassis it will get cams and a better intake track.

rowycoracing
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Ha! It is starting to sound like I should start taking friendly wagers on this deal. :shock: How much improvement, if any, will I see from just switching to the DIY EFI system and then tuning it as best I can? How much from adding the turbo? How much from optimizing both the new EFI and the turbo and tuning it with both? How much if I go another step and do some simple mechanical mods like a cam and maybe fooling with the deck height just a bit? Only simple mechanical stuff that is still in the realm and cost constraints of the DIY home builder though. The whole idea here is to see if a home builder can do something fairly simple and get big performance rewards. :D LOL :D Attached is a pic of the turbo I hope to use and of the engine it will all go on. Well, any bets? Tim

hotwheels000
07-12-2006, 07:18 PM
I bet you get it done :D and done right :D

Bugpac
07-12-2006, 07:26 PM
i bet you can get some sweet performance gains just with the diy box, look at cars change the chip change the power, surely a mc engine stock is not tuned to its capabilitys!! 8)

Gene
07-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I remember growing up and reading automitive performance magazines and especially ads. At that age I added up each modification to achieve some HP number independently, without realizing at the time the synergies created through matched modifications.

So the idea of modifying and measuring modifications in this way is very interesting. I want to know where to get the most performance gain for my investment. I want to know the cumulative gain step-to-step.

I'm learning quite a bit reading this thread and the repartee is good natured and fun.

Tim, you described a series of steps to measure. A progression from mapping to wild seems reasonable, although some steps back may be required. How about this:
1. Mapped stock engine
2. Mapped stock engine with turbo on pump gas.
3. Mapped engine with added displacement, cams, head decked, valve springs, cams and torque pipes.
4. Same engine with turbo and low boost because of high compression. Must run pump gas.
5. Mapped engine with turbo pistons, lowered compression and added fuel rail. Pump gas at low boost and race gas at high boost.
6. Whatever is next.

You get the idea. Answering questions like that would help us understand how to utilize our resources effectively. Too bad we don't have a clubhouse. I'd be there right now!
Gene

rowycoracing
07-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Well Gene if I can get that much time on the dyno I could do most of that. It will be tough to get that much time I think. You certainly zero'd right in on what I want to do though ... figure out what sort of bang for how many bucks a home builder can get by trying different mods and then testing each one independently and in combination. And keep it all practical for the home builder in terms of difficulty and cost.

Hot's thanks for the compliment. I want to keep this thread informative, positive, constructive and an interesting learning experience for anyone interested in this sort of topic. Tim

Bugpac
07-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I remember growing up and reading automitive performance magazines and especially ads. At that age I added up each modification to achieve some HP number independently, without realizing at the time the synergies created through matched modifications.

So the idea of modifying and measuring modifications in this way is very interesting. I want to know where to get the most performance gain for my investment. I want to know the cumulative gain step-to-step.

I'm learning quite a bit reading this thread and the repartee is good natured and fun.

Tim, you described a series of steps to measure. A progression from mapping to wild seems reasonable, although some steps back may be required. How about this:
1. Mapped stock engine
2. Mapped stock engine with turbo on pump gas.
3. Mapped engine with added displacement, cams, head decked, valve springs, cams and torque pipes.
4. Same engine with turbo and low boost because of high compression. Must run pump gas.
5. Mapped engine with turbo pistons, lowered compression and added fuel rail. Pump gas at low boost and race gas at high boost.
6. Whatever is next.

You get the idea. Answering questions like that would help us understand how to utilize our resources effectively. Too bad we don't have a clubhouse. I'd be there right now!
Gene

ill build a clubhouse, if everyone wants to drive the 2k miles, have that many brains in my clubhouse we could probbaly build shocks etc, id have a running car in no time.... 8)

MC@ Performance Fab
07-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Tim not trying to hijack your thread but have a question about ecu stuff.

Do you know how the power commander units interface with the stock ecu and what are their capabilties.

Thanks, Monte

rowycoracing
07-13-2006, 08:16 PM
No Monte I am sorry but I don't. I have read a little bit about them but I have never seen or used one. Someone on here must have though. That would be an intersting step to add to my testing ... dyno the engine stock, then dyno it with the power commander added, then with DIY EFI swapped on, then with the turbo and so on. Maybe I can find one cheap... Anyway, until or unless I do find one and test it I can't be any help to you... Tim

Gene
07-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Tim,
Our Belmore pals have one or two Power Commanders installed. Might be interesting to Dyno one of their cars with and without.

I'll volunteer my car too - when it's ready. That would be interesting because we could compare 1397 mods using different cams, intake polishing and engine builders.

Spencer has the the hot setup in the engine. Mine is similar but more econo. We also have different pipes. His is modified aftermarket and mine will be totally custom.

Wouldn't that be of interest?

Gene

rowycoracing
07-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah it would be interesting ... but we're talking even more dyno time now. I have been wondering if I should just buy a Busa engine to do all this testing on since they seem so popular. But they cost so much more and my focus was development for the relatively low budget home builder. That's why I originally got the CBR 1000rr engine and planned to hop it up a little. It was selling for 1/3 or 1/4 what the Busa's were going for and besides in 4 months I hadn't found a Busa with legal papers (I won't buy an engine without legal papers). Remember the PM I sent you a month ago talking about the joint proposal at the U? If that was to get a full green light then we'd be all over testing both buggies for sure. So far I do have the green light on at least one, and the full proposal in the works. Tim

Gene
07-17-2006, 10:27 PM
I could tell the rest of you about this but there would only be two members of the board left - Tim and Gene - after Vito's visit!

Tim, I'm back to work on the car. Dunefest is only a few weeks and it won't be finished. Nonetheless my timeline is dictated by the desired end-point. I'm not schedule-driven; I'm driven by desired results.

More pics in a week or TWO!

Oh yeah, BUSA's RULE! (and are spendy too)

Gene

rowycoracing
07-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Looking forward to the new pics ... I saw (and heard run) a 600 cc R1 engine with a megasquirt DIY EFI system on it today. The thing worked great. They were getting set to run it on the dyno but I had to leave to make a meeting so I missed the results. I'm glad I can get back here on the board ... I was unable to access it for about a week. Now I'm behind on dozens of of threads! Tim

headinclouds
07-21-2006, 04:17 PM
rowyracing, what turbo is that? It doesn't look like a garrett based turbo. I am interested in knowing about the sizes, flow ratings, trims ect. I have dont lots of reading up on turbos, and I think I know what turbo is going on my750. Let me know if you want some info, or have any info on that unit.

rowycoracing
07-22-2006, 12:38 AM
It is a Garrett T03 with a 0.52 A/R on the compressor end and something like a .8 or so on the turbine if I remember right. I think it is probably too big but if so I'll just sell it and get another one. The T03 is something I had for another project but it never got used. I haven't done any calcs yet but I was guessing I'd need a T25? Or maybe the T03 but with an A/R closer to 0.38 to 0.4? Like I say I haven't worked all that out yet but yes I definitely could use any advice you can offer! Tim

headinclouds
07-22-2006, 01:05 AM
smallest t3 you can get is a .48 and it will be WAY too big. t3 turbos are used on high hp busas, for race applications. They use gt28s on busas most. some use huger ones I guess, but you dont want togo larger on that littel engine. It would NEVERspool. I have used t3 turbos on my subaru. Infact, I have used smaller turbos that take till 5k RPMS to make full boost and that is on 2.0 liter engine with decent volumetric efficiency. A honda wouldn't spool that turbo till maybe 6k and that is a turbo that is double the size of our engines. you need to get a 28 or smaller. you could get away with a td04 12t or a rhb5, (migth be alittle small.) but if you want low end dont go smaller than a ball bearing t28.

rowycoracing
07-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah thanks, not a surprise on the size. The T03 was intended for a 2.3 L project that never got done (car got wrecked). I'll just sell it and get another when the time comes. Thanks! Tim

Glamisman
07-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Dont take the lack of reply/responce as a lack of interest, like most web/blogs there are more lurkers than posters...

Mike D
09-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah, Im with these guys, I am just now getting around to reading this post, but as I am reading all of this I couldn't help but feel like I wasn't in Kansas any more. Good stuff Tim. By all means, continue if you will.

Mike D

amergin
10-11-2006, 12:28 AM
Are there any results for this yet? I've watched this same topic go on and on over at yfztech when the vortex programmable cdi first came out. There were a lot of gains but nothing approaching 50%. Then again that's on a dirt bike motor that was never "detuned" to pass emissions.

-R

masterfabr
10-11-2006, 06:44 AM
My gt28r on busa begins building boost at approx 4000 rpm and hits 10#+ at 6k. I need to check on ar sizing.

rowycoracing
10-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Are there any results for this yet? I've watched this same topic go on and on over at yfztech when the vortex programmable cdi first came out. There were a lot of gains but nothing approaching 50%. Then again that's on a dirt bike motor that was never "detuned" to pass emissions.

Yeah it is up and running with the new DIY ECU (Megasquirt). Still tuning and testing the base engine set up (ie without the turbo).

Tim

buggito
10-11-2006, 07:34 PM
rowycoracing, a little bet of the subject, but do u know any code reader obd2 who will work with bike engine, I made some research and my 955i daytona use the "euro code" only trick is to find where the "pair"end on the connector, any clue or place where I could look, tuneboy is nice by $$$ to much for me.

rowycoracing
10-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Sorry I do not.

matchew
12-12-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm very interested in your project...I'd like to see what it could do to my RC51 engine. I haven't yet found a turbo kit for it, nor do I know if I'll need it but it sure would be cool [smilie=biggrin.gif]. I don't know much abour what you've done but it seems alot of the v8 guys are using similar systems.