PDA

View Full Version : ProtoDie Website/ Video

ProtoDie
06-09-2006, 02:28 PM
I just got my website updated most of the way , and added a section for ProtoLite cars. If you go to the ProtoLite Racing page, just click on The ProtoLite demo Video, or the burnout Video.

www.protodie.com (http://www.protodie.com)

Also, Tool & Die design is slow over here for the moment. I can lower my shop rate on CAD design work,CNC and general machining or fab work if anyone has a need. I would rather work on buggy parts anyday.
I am sure shipping charges would be a major factor for some.

Anyhow, check out the video if you get a chance.

2lcf
06-09-2006, 03:06 PM
I just got my website updated most of the way , and added a section for ProtoLite cars. If you go to the ProtoLite Racing page, just click on The ProtoLite demo Video, or the burnout Video.

www.protodie.com (http://www.protodie.com)

Also, Tool & Die design is slow over here for the moment. I can lower my shop rate on CAD design work,CNC and general machining or fab work if anyone has a need. I would rather work on buggy parts anyday.
I am sure shipping charges would be a major factor for some.

Anyhow, check out the video if you get a chance.

I would like to have a track or huge peice of property so I could test ride my stuff without going to the desert....videos look fun............good job!!! :lol:

rxpo
06-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi Jody, very nice buggies. They look like the move very well for 600cc and around 1000 lbs weight.

What is your gearing?
What is your redline limit on the engine?

I am almost finished with my piranha, which is close to the same spec's as yours. I am running a CBR600RR with 14/60 gearing. I have a 13 tooth in case I need it. Thanks

ProtoDie
06-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks, in the video clip the gearing was 14/45, since then changed it to 14/50 which helped alot. The burnout video is 14/50 gearing.

the 2004 gsxr600 redlines at 15500 and mine, the 2003 redlines at 14500

any chance you will do any racing when you are done?

diirk
06-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Good stuff!!
I was wondering which Fox shocks you were using, along with the gas/oil levels and valving. You barely have any body roll and that's what I'm working towards. Thanks.

ProtoDie
06-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Fox 2.0 airshocks 5.5 fronts and 8.5 rears

stock valving so far, and the video was factory amount of oil. We started jumping them, and since then have added,,,approx 25-30 cc of oil to each shock.

rxpo
06-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the gearing info....I would love to do some racing. I will making a trip up north with Rick S (Another piranha builder), and possibly another rider, this summer.

Not sure if we are doing silver lake, the UP or somewhere else...We are over on the east side. Maybe we can all hook up sometime!

ProtoDie
06-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Ya, that would be fun. Rick S. built a real sweet piranha. Let me know when you guys set something up. I would like to check out the cars.

Bugpac
06-09-2006, 08:28 PM
i got a quad to ride till i am done so count me in, i ill keep up!!! 8)

02RedWS6TA
06-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Very nice. If you guys are really slow you can whip me up a buggy to keep busy ;)

ProtoDie
06-14-2006, 06:08 AM
LOL, yes, that would keep me busy.

rowycoracing
06-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Nice job Proto. Tim

rowycoracing
06-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Proto ... What radiator are you using? Thx Tim

Bugpac
06-15-2006, 07:01 PM
there is one on here for about 225.00 i think.

http://www.hyperracing.com/

ProtoDie
06-16-2006, 06:03 AM
Yes, Hyper racing sells it. $259

The radiator is made by Saldana Racing products.

I really like it, and we have not had any heat issues.

rowycoracing
06-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Thx guys. Tim

vrlpete
07-27-2006, 10:26 PM
nice package there proto. looks like i'm following a bit in your footsteps on my far simpler project.

anyone out there have some suggestions on where i can research the guts of such a rear drive? i have a v-twin chain drive motor for this job. i'd hate to not go with a cv joint and disk brake setup.

ProtoDie
07-28-2006, 05:47 AM
Welcome to the site.

The rear drive is 1 3/8 6 splined shaft, 924 cv's. I machined up the cv flange mounts , one of which is also the sprocket hub mount . These are bolted to the ends of the center shaft.
The bearing retainers in the pics have been changed out due to failure. I have new bearings and retainers that I machined on the CNC mill. These have been holding up well.
The rear wheel assembly is laser cut 1/4 steel welded together and then the bearing retainers are thru bolted to it.
Brakes are Wilwood dual piston.

ProtoDie
07-28-2006, 05:49 AM
here are the new bearing retainers

vrlpete
07-28-2006, 10:54 AM
some nive stuff dude.. 'tis a shame i work so much. hard to find a couple hours to give you guys a drive-by. any chance i could next time i'm down in the GR area? i live a couple hour north and do school in big rapids 4 days a week. time will be tight for the next 4 months doing 12 on/2 off at work and school 4/5 days a week, but if you have a few mins i'd love to take advantage of your hospitality. didn't i read somewhere you keep your cars at the tool&die shop?

cheers

ProtoDie
07-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Not a problem, you could swing out most anytime. My machine shop and office are right on my property, so I am just about always here.
Whenever it works for you, just give me a call and let me know.
My phone # and a google map can be found at www.protodie.com (http://www.protodie.com)

later
Jody

KWiKSand
07-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Proto did you do the splining yourself on the shafts and hubs etc?

ProtoDie
07-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Nope, I bought the splined hubs and shaft from G&G and then machined them to suit.

www.ggmfg.com (http://www.ggmfg.com)

They were around $8 apc for the hubs , and $30-40ish for a fully splined 12" shaft for the center drive. I used partially splined for the stub axles, not sure, maybe $20ish apc. I turned up all the flange mounts and then welded them to the hubs.
Total of 5 hubs for 1 brake rotor, 2 flanges, and 2 wheel hubs. 2 stub axles and 1 drive axle.

rowycoracing
07-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Kwik, just FYI... I did spline a couple of shafts. I did it for two reasons, one was to upgrade metalurgy but mainly I really wanted to see if my little 3 in 1 Grizzly combo mill/lathe was up to the task. It came out OK but took a long time on the cheapo equipment. I had to end mill the shafts first, then cut them again with a double side mill set up. Like Proto said the ag shafting is readily available and cheap and that is also what I have used before. Tim

KWiKSand
07-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys
I am probably just being dense ;) but am I following right.... you buy the splined shaft, and then a splined weld a hub like what is shown in pic DSC03049.JPG on the left. Then you weld whatever you need to that... ie sprocket flange, or drive flange? The sprocket flange and drive flanges you made from scratch?

The splined hub is held in place with a set screw or?

I keep debating about going to a cassette type of setup. Unfortunately I don't think the center axle I have now could be used if I do. It would have to be shortened and the splines don't go far enough. But the prices of this stuff sound reasonable enough it doesn't matter too much. I don't remember off hand how many spline the shaft I have is, but it would be nice to use the hubs i have if I could. I wonder if this is where ShortSand cars gets his axle stuff?

Food for thought. I may have to pm one of you guys when I get ready to start working on the back half.

Bugpac
07-28-2006, 04:43 PM
i think you got 091 spline that gear ones sells,
and i paid 27 for a fully splined 1 3/8 21 spline shaft, came right from your neck of the woods....

ProtoDie
07-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Yup, you got it right. I left the brake rotor, free floating so it will self-center. The flanges are bolted on, I machined the length of the center shaft to where it is .020" longer than the width of the bearings, for a small amount of float. So, no set screws at all, it makes for a real solid unit when bolted together.
See pic

rowycoracing
09-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Hey Proto I saw in a post over on Bikelomen's thread that you said that you replaced your radiator fan with a larger one. Did you end up having cooling issues with the stock fan? Just curious as I have the same engine, radiator and fan... Tim

ProtoDie
09-17-2006, 05:42 PM
No, I did not have any cooling issues, the 2003 stock one worked just fine.
This new one does move alot more air though, and it was just a perfect fit and I think it looks just a touch better.
It was around $20 on a Ebay store.
I lost the link to it, so just do a search if you are interested.

I just raced today, 80 degrees out and running the motor as hard as you can for 16 laps (around 7 miles) , temp when I got off the track was around 220.