PDA

View Full Version : Heims, threaded inserts

Plastic Fork
01-24-2006, 10:36 AM
I had submitted a post about Midwest Control as a good economical source for heims, threaded inserts.... and just about everything else you would look for.

I submitted a small order with them (around $50.00) on Jan 10. 2006.
After the 1st order confirmation, I did not have any other contact with them, until yesterday. I emailed Midwest Control and asked what the status of my order was. I was informed (after I contacted them) that they were out of stock on a item that I ordered. They wanted to know what I wanted to do. 2 weeks and they never contacted me! I needed those parts 10 days ago. I cancelled my order and will take my business elsewhere.

Just wanted to leave NEGATIVE feedback for Midwest Control. I know it was a small order, but I still am a customer--excuse me...."was a customer"

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/

Thanks,
Duke

diirk
01-24-2006, 05:17 PM
I hate it when a company doesn't follow through on an order. I've had that happen more than once, and I won't deal with any of those comapnies again. Be sure to contact someone there and tell them why you're not doing business with them, on the off chance they want to fix the problem.... :roll:

Plastic Fork
01-24-2006, 05:38 PM
I feel the same way. I contacted them again this morning, thinking that they would appologize and try to gain a new customer. They wrote back.....
We will cancel your order

that is it.... oh well, a lot of other places to buy stuff.

Duke

scramblerman400
01-24-2006, 07:45 PM
try here for your insert, http://www.aa-mfg.com/

and here for your heims, http://www.rodendsupply.com/

have used both, and their service is great.

pete

Plastic Fork
01-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Pete,

Thanks for the links.

http://www.aa-mfg.com/ comes recommended from a lot of people. The online store is very easy to navigate, and they have tons and tons of everything.

http://www.rodendsupply.com/ is also recommended. However, the website does not show prices. Do you email them for prices?

Thanks again for all the help
Duke

scramblerman400
01-25-2006, 01:38 PM
duke

for rodendsupply i decided on what i wanted, then placed the order over the phone. contact was well versed with their product and applications. very helpful. prices were very good with fast shipping.

pete

Plastic Fork
01-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Pete,

Thanks for the information. I emailed them with some part numbers.

I hope to hear from them tomorrow.

Thanks,
Duke

tenaja
02-10-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm going to chime in here and say that I was able to get some rod ends from Midwest. They are a small and relatively new company, so the growing pains show. I did, however, receive decent telephone support--during the time I placed an order. I called it in to avoid the hassles you experienced. The lady I talked to indicated she was the person who handles internet orders, coincidentally. (Also note that you get a huge internet discount--like 20%.)

When the parts showed up though, I was less than thrilled. The hi-mis spacer was cut wrong, so it only allowed half of the potential for the extra angle. (I only ordered one, because I was just checking it out.) The rod ends were made in China, and look nothing like the high quality you get from the US mfr's--a few were loose already. I got a couple different styles, and they don't really look strong enough for suspension on a buggy. They'll work for some industrial equipment though.

KWiKSand
02-10-2006, 10:45 PM
I had emailed them asking about the load ratings on the heims. It took a while but they did reply back saying that all of their heims were getting retested for some reason.
That pretty much said to me that they were probably pretty low end joints.

Glamisman
02-11-2006, 05:01 PM
This is not really mini buggy related but it is customer service related...

I own, manage and repair apx 45 rental units and I used to do business with The Home Depot, I would spend about 1500 a month there, anyway I placed a carpet/padding order on a friday before noon with a CPU (customer pick up) for 9 am sunday morning. Sunday morning 9:30 comes and the carpet installler calls me and says the carpet isnt ready yet and that if he has to wait any longer he will have to charge me a waiting charge, he waits 45 minutes more then leaves to do his next job, he returns at apx 3:00 and the carpet STILL isnt cut and he will try again on monday morning. Monday morning comes and Home depot has 2 exact orders ready he takes one order and installs the carpet and charges me a 150 waiting fee... I pay him and submit the documentation to the President and CEO of home depot with a demand letter that they reimburse me for the waiting charge... Home depots responce, they are sorry and they send me a 10% discount coupon... my responce, I cut up all my corporate Home Depot charge cards, put them in an envelope with a letter to cancel the charge account and I include a copy of my latest Lowes bill for just under 2k and tell them to shove their cards and their store and that I will NEVER do business with their store.

Will the effect a multi billion dollar empire like HD, not really... but bad news travels 7 times faster than good news...

Plastic Fork
02-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Glamisman,
It is amazing how customer sevice has declined. I like your response to the HD situation.

WelderPat
02-18-2006, 11:15 AM
http://www.mcmaster.com/
A good suply of rod ends and a million other parts. You can also download drawings and 3-d models of rod ends and other parts.

tenaja
02-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Welderpat,
I agree that McMaster-Carr is a great resource; I use them regularly enough to get one of the coveted catalogs with each new release. (While I haven't checked for a few years, they used to bring $35 on ebay!!!)

You've got to keep in mind, though, that they are 10-20% more expensive than most sources. That is the price you pay for knowing they have it in stock, and will ship it "today", up to 5pm PST. As a business, it's worth it to place one PO and write one check, but as a hobbyist, sometimes the price makes a difference.

WelderPat
02-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Welderpat,
I agree that McMaster-Carr is a great resource; I use them regularly enough to get one of the coveted catalogs with each new release. (While I haven't checked for a few years, they used to bring $35 on ebay!!!)

You've got to keep in mind, though, that they are 10-20% more expensive than most sources. That is the price you pay for knowing they have it in stock, and will ship it "today", up to 5pm PST. As a business, it's worth it to place one PO and write one check, but as a hobbyist, sometimes the price makes a difference.

Just out of curiosity more expensive than who?
Are the other ones load rated?
That could be the difference in price.

tenaja
02-18-2006, 02:55 PM
As a general rule, McMaster-Carr is more expensive on everything they sell. Of the 4,000 some odd pages, I have yet to find anything they carry that you cannot find the same model at 10% cheaper, and often better. I have been using them since I first heard of them over 15 years ago, and they shine in the customer service department and the "it's in stock" department. They charge for it, though--but for most businesses, that extra 10-20% is worth avoiding the hunt to save $6 or even $60, and risk having it on back-order. Sometimes, not receiving something the very next day is a matter of extreme expense--for instance, if a whole production line is down until that repair part arrives.

As far as the rod ends go, I don't know what brand theirs are. McMaster-Carr will not tell you what brand they are, and they won't tell you what brand 99% of their stuff is. They can get away with this because they only carry good quality stuff--no import junk. They only way they'll give you a brand name is if you give them a brand and part number, and ask if this catalog number of their is that brand and part, or if it's a substitute. You must be peristant, and threaten to shop elsewhere if they won't confirm the exact part, and explain that you require the exact same brand because of some reason or other.

So, yes, a cheaper source will give you the exact same ones rated at the exact same load. That's the challenge--finding the cheaper source. But, for some hobbyists on this board, it is worth the hour or two to find that source. I do use and recommend mcmaster.com , but I always recommend them with the caveat that you will receive, but pay for, excellent customer service.

KWiKSand
02-18-2006, 08:26 PM

These guys seem to have decent prices on load rated rod ends
http://www.cheperformance.com/cartgenie ... &cid=8 (http://www.cheperformance.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=66&cid=8)
$17.80 vs 35.80 for a 5/8 17,000 load capacity.
http://www.qa1.net/qa1_ms2005_rodends.pdf

Lawngodfather
02-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Just wanted to leave NEGATIVE feedback for Midwest Control. I know it was a small order, but I still am a customer--excuse me...."was a customer"

http://www.midwestcontrol.com/

Thanks,
DukeI went to site and is says "out of stock" on some parts......

Either way, I wont be buying from them.

Plastic Fork
02-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Tejana,
That's the first "review" of the Midwest Control product that I have heard. It does not suprise me after dealing with the customer service. Sorry that my information about the product lead you into purchasing from Midwest.

Lawngodfather,
Yeah, I went back to the website and did see that they were "out of stock" on some of the items that I purchased. I guess the prices were too good to be true.

Yoshi has used Rod End Supply for all his heims and seems very happy with them. I am going to call Rod End Supply tomorrow about some heims and pricing.

Thanks everyone for the input and information.
Duke

Plastic Fork
02-20-2006, 09:59 AM
I just contacted Rod End Supply. I received fast friendly service. For the front a-arm application they recommended the LXM-10--it is a 5/8 x5/8-18 heim. They run $12.35 each. They are the ones that Yoshi is running on the front of his buggy.

Thanks
Duke

Bugpac
03-15-2006, 12:19 PM
check these prices maybe someone can use, i bought mine here got them in 2 days.
only problem is they accept paypal only.

www.qscomponents.com (http://www.qscomponents.com)

KWiKSand
03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Those appear they might be the same brand of ends I bought. The one Chromolly end is cheaper than where I bought from, but this place says they will beat any price.... If I would have know I would have tried to get the 3/4 cheaper ;)

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/606693/Q ... e-Mol.html (http://www.racingjunk.com/post/606693/QA1-Rod-Ends-Heim-Joint-All-Sizes-Chrome-Mol.html)

That place also sold me the various size of tube adapters for $6 each. They even sent me a free T-Shirt :D

Bugpac
03-15-2006, 03:54 PM
i bought the 3/4 and there very nice heavy joints not cheap looking, i didnt buy the kevlar race one tho just the economy.

Kludge
04-15-2006, 05:58 AM
I have found a recipe for working with Midwest Controls.

I too had a mysterious delay in my order and given the outcome of Plastic Forks experience, I did not wait very long before contacting them. I talked with them to find out how to work with them. So, if you want to have a successful transaction, these are the steps that will work.

Steps to Success:
1) When you order each item, check the Qty in Stock. Assume the count is too high.
2) Place your order
3) If you have not received an email after 3 business days, call and ask for the status of your order. Be polite! Have your Credit Card handy in case some of the items are backordered and you want them to ship a partial order.
4) Your order should arrive in UPS ground time.

Why are these steps needed?
It seems that their business order system was designed before the internet age (or by an idiot) and the internet order system front end is a bit retarded. I found the people who handle the Internet orders are nice and will try to help, they didnít create the order system, they are doing the best with what they have.

What goes on behind the scenes?
The stock quantity is updated only every 2 weeks, so it is basically always wrong.
If any line item in your order canít be filled to the quantity you order, the entire order is held up.
They canít check stock until they actually try to fill your order.
The email system to inform you of a backorder is broken for some customers
They canít access the credit card number you put in the internet order, you have to give it to them over the phone to have them do a partial shipment.
The backorder times are often measured in months.

IMHO: The Company and their customers would be better off using an eBay store than what they have now.

Plastic Fork
04-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Kludge,
Thanks for the input! How did you like the product? Are they quality? Are they worth the "steps" necessary to get them?
Thanks,
Duke

tenaja
04-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I got some for fitting some parts together, and they are the cheapest quality you could imagine. The nylon injection molded race is loose in the body and ball isn't tight in the race, so there is play--don't waste your money on these.

The rest of them look like they have little tin sheets holding the ball in, and are very loose also.

I don't think I'd use any rod ends from this company on anything that needed to stay together. But they work for jigging so you don't get weld splatter on your good ones.

Kludge
04-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Kludge,
Thanks for the input! How did you like the product? Are they quality? Are they worth the "steps" necessary to get them?
Thanks,
Duke

Short answer: Currently: Only the tube adapters are worth the effort

Long Answer:

From a Quality perspective (best to worst):

The "Thread Bugs" (aka Tube Adapters or tube inserts ...) in chrome moly that I received are so far the best item. Much less expensive than any other full size threaded tube adapter (about Ĺ price). The problem is all of the popular sizes are backordered if you want more than a few of them. The finish appearance is not as smooth as the ends from chassis shop, but look fully functional to me.

The "MXM" rod ends (chrome moly with teflon liner) I received are OK for the price, they are made in China (I think Tenaja mention this). They are not as tight as FK brand lined rod ends, but none of mine were loose. For high stress areas like outside end of the front A-Arms and the steering tie rods, I will be using a better quality USA made Rod End. The interesting question is; are their chrome moly ends in ĺ inch stronger than the economy chrome moly ends in 5/8 inch (like QS Conmponents sells at the same price)?

The Misalignment Inserts (in steel) I received were not too good. They will not give the same misalignment angle as the good quality ones. Whoever is making these does not understand how to make them correctly! When used in place of a misalignment spacer they are lower cost (at least in size 10) than anything else Iíve found.

tenaja
04-16-2006, 08:44 AM
All of the rod ends I received are looser than what Dana Cote of Raw Motorsports said he replaces them at. The ones he uses (don't know the brand) are so tight that you can't move them by hand when new. When they get as sloppy as the Midwest rod ends were, he throws them away.

I agree bout the hi-mis spacers--they did not allow the ball to travel beyond the flat on it, because they cut a flat chamfer on the hi-mis, rather than a radius. The edge of the rod end hits that flat, rather than travelling over it.

Bugpac
04-16-2006, 05:12 PM
ive noticed that people make misalign spacers, and high misalign spacers, the misaligns are half the price as the good ones, and i believe its a way to catch people with there pants down if they dont do there homework and know what there buying.sounds like what you guys are talking about.

tenaja
04-16-2006, 07:47 PM
In their photo, they show them as high misalignment spacers, getting full deflection. The products I rececived are not capable of the misalignment that the photo shows.

Bugpac
04-16-2006, 08:35 PM
i havent seen there photos, i have ran across in other places, the 2 diff types.

K-fab
06-05-2006, 03:29 PM
For what it's worth, I make heim spacers - both regular stand off type and high misalignment.

I prefer custom orders in small amounts (like a car's worth).

I also like to have the heim joint that will be used on hand so I can make them fit correctly.

All spacers are 304 Stainless and I generally make them a tollerance fit of .000 to +.003 or so. Ideally they should press fit into the ball.

A pair (one heim's worth) runs, more or less, in the $13.00 range depending on size.

http://www.k-fab50s.com/heimspacers/application.jpg

KWiKSand
06-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Just a FYI Back when I was looking, I must have emailed you 10 times over a month or so and never got a response. Either the Email link on your site isn't right or ??