PDA

View Full Version : GSXR Gauge Panel

KWiKSand
01-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Do any of you run with the gauge panel out of the bike, or do you just get gauges from somewhere else? The guy I bought the GSXR from asked if I want to buy the gauges also.

What all displays in the panel? Obvously the Tach would be useful, and I suppose it probably displays water temp? What else?

thanks

hotwheels000
01-10-2006, 05:05 PM
You may find a tach hard to read at speed. Intellidash uses sequential lights to show RPM but it will cost you. I use a simple shift light and it lets me know real quick if I am not listening to my motor. I also rotate my gauges so that the neddle points straight up at proper operating position, it makes it easy to check at a glance.

Gene
01-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Kent,
My car came with the 'Busa gauge panel but I'm going to install new gauges.

You can have mine free if you want it after I get the new gauges and get them hooked up. You bought a smaller GSXR motor, right? If so, mine should work.

Mine displays oil, water, speed and rpm. Might have a clock too but I don't remember. I've looked at it a few times when driving but everything is coming at you so quick....
Gene

KWiKSand
01-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Wow, thanks. Yes I bought a 2005 750 motor.

I have a digital Tach/EGT gauge on my quad, and I don't look at it a lot, but every once in a while it is nice to be able to check the temp or watch the rpms.

I will gladly pay shipping if you think it will connect up to the 750 harness and sensors.

oneoddonetoo
01-10-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm using a stock 2003 GSXR 1000 panel. It a good price. It does what it was intended to do. RPM, water temp, oil idiot light, also it has a diagnosis code reader built in, if you have the dealer mode switch that hooks up to the wiring harness, speedo not needed GPS records all this, it also has a adjustable shift light, neutral light works good, I use the high beam light for reference when HID's are accidently turned on during the day, fuel warning light is still operational even though I gutted the stock fuel pump out of it. I hear the intellidash dashes isn't that accurate. The one in my brothers car is off on the oil pressure and water temp. Others that have them say the same thing. I built a carbongraphite dash to house the stock gauge and a autometer boost gauge. I'll take a pic of it and down load it.

Gene
01-10-2006, 07:18 PM
I've been wondering how to build a dash using carbongraphite. Where did you learn how to do that and is it essentially the same as working with fiberglass?

billium
01-10-2006, 08:03 PM
I am using a 2003 GSXR750. Where can I get a wire diagram, and what aftermarket gauges work with the stock harness?

Gene
01-10-2006, 09:23 PM
I bought a 'Busa service manual on CD ROM on EBay. It has a section on the electrical system describing how to trouble shoot gauge problems and replace components. That may have an adequate level of detail to hook up new gauges.

For new gauges Autometer makes a series used in motorcycle powered Dwarf cars. http://www.speedpartz.com/autominigauges.htm These are what I might use as the replacement for my gauge cluster. Other gauge manufacturers may have similar gauges, including a 14,000 RPM tach.

oneoddonetoo
01-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Here's a couple of pics of my carbongraphite dash. In my profession I do carbon graphite laminations everyday. I design, fabricate and fit people with prosthesis, i.e. legs and arms. I included a pic of one.

rowycoracing
01-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Nice work!

hotwheels000
01-11-2006, 08:09 PM
oneoddonetoo-------------Agreed, great work and thanks for the info on the intella dash I didn't know that they were not accurate.

Glamisman
02-03-2006, 02:10 AM
I am using a GSXR 1300 in my rail and I only use the stock instrument panel for its diagnostic capabilities. You dont need a tach, let the rev limiter do its job, if you ever get there. Oil pressure, run a big red light. Water temp, put a sending unit on the radiator, same thing for fan switch.

dirtguy
02-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Man, bouncing off the rev limter all the time is scary. Miss a shift and it will drift past the limit before it comes back down. Or when the rods go through the block.

Either one!!

DG :-D

Glamisman
02-06-2006, 01:21 AM
With the power and torque of the 1300 you rarely hit the rev limiter