PDA

View Full Version : FYI staring a new honda or other electronic ignition bike

v8power
06-21-2005, 09:49 PM
just incase you are stuck on a problom that screwed me over for a few days here is how you make a bike start with out the stock ignition. this one is specifically for a 2003 CBR954 engine but will work on many other models. You can pick up the diode from any electronics store.

amergin
06-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks for sharing, nice input. Welcome to the forum.

v8power
06-23-2005, 04:23 PM
No problem I am almost finished my st2 and just found this site site so I thought I would share some info.

headinclouds
07-12-2006, 12:56 PM
agreed, thank you very much. its great when there are people that more care about sharing that taking.

yoshi
07-23-2006, 08:51 AM
agreed, thank you very much. its great when there are people that more care about sharing that taking.glad you feel that way, can I borrow a few hundred bucks? :roll:

headinclouds
07-23-2006, 08:53 AM
sure, wanna take one of my girl friends for a few nights too?

yoshi
07-23-2006, 09:14 AM
sure, wanna take one of my girl friends for a few nights too? :roll:

Bugpac
07-23-2006, 09:37 AM
sure, wanna take one of my girl friends for a few nights too?

no, why would we want to take one??

id like to take both of them!!!! :shock:

driller
11-14-2006, 10:30 PM
thanks for the info i went to order the diode couldnt find it anywere finally found a place and they were 4 cents a piece 25 dollar min. order i talked real nice to the lady and she sent me 5 for free there on the way.

driller
11-14-2006, 10:32 PM
by the way i got a 929 2001 honda i *hope it works

Rorty
11-14-2006, 11:43 PM
by the way i got a 929 2001 honda i *hope it works

I know what you mean; 2001 was such a bad year! http://www.dumontduneriders.com/invision/style_images/1/pip.gif

driller
11-20-2006, 10:04 PM
well diode didnt work plus ign. already has one in it *I'm off to other things now

matchew
12-04-2006, 09:30 PM
In my suzuki 750 it was a resistor (difference???) I can't remember what size though. Got it from radio shack (an assortment cost 4.99)

SandNDI
01-24-2007, 03:47 PM
I did something similar to an '01 cbr 929. Used a 2.2 k ohm resistor. It reduced the voltage enough for the ECM to fuel enable the system. I guess Honda tried their hand at an anti-theft ignition switch.

plkracer
01-24-2007, 04:33 PM
A resistor puts resistance on the wire, only allowing so much to flow. A diode only lets electricity flow one direction. Where did the resistor go? I don't think mine needs on because it shows no problem, but I haven't hooked the fuel pump up yet, so??

plkracer
01-24-2007, 04:35 PM
Wait, are you not using an ignition switch? I'm using all stock electronics besides the lights.

Bugpac
01-24-2007, 04:51 PM
you will need a resitor, if you remove anti theft and roll over and kickstand switch....for the suzuki engine...

plkracer
01-24-2007, 07:34 PM
I have the roll over and ignition switch, but the kickstand calls for a diode. Is there anti-theft on the gsxr?

plkracer
01-24-2007, 07:36 PM
All that diode does, though, is keep the battery from draining when you have the stand up. It is inside the switch, so I believe that is all it does. I have the schematic from the manual.

matchew
01-24-2007, 08:52 PM
The side stand switch is simply a grounded lead in the wiring harness. The tip over sensor is easily bypassed...you just need to look on the bike forums for your bike, most guys just disable them, some take them out entirely. *Most times the TOS shuts off the fuel pump so it can't fly away from the rider. Most new bikes do have the security wire, I believe it is a resistor (same as a diode??) that is needed to bypass this problem. The resistor simply goes on the pink wire (mine was anyway) and the other end to a ground in the harness. This could all be b*llsh!t but thats worked for me on two engines so far.

plkracer
01-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, I just took my tip over sensor, and sealed it, so it won't contact either side. A resistor and a diode are different things. I think my TO senser has like 65 milliohms, or 65 ohms, or something. In my manual, you test the diode in the side stand. Electricity can only flow one way. What year is your engine? Mine is an 02, and the to senser wires are black and black with a brown tracer.

matchew
01-24-2007, 09:12 PM
In my 99 gsxr 750 engine I opened up the TOS and cut the ring that slides around in the box. That's what all the bike guys do, they don't have to cut any wires at all. This is the easiest way to disable a suzuki TOS.

plkracer
01-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah, when I opened mine up, the legs on the sides were broken, so I pulled them out. I think someone did this before, and when they went to sell the TO, they just stuck them back in... Where did you put the resistor then? Is it on the side stand?

matchew
01-24-2007, 09:25 PM
The side stand switch is normaly closed (I'm using electrical control terms if you don't know already), meanig that with the side stand down, it opens up and kills the engine. If you test the switch before cutting anywires you can find out exactly what it does. If it is closed when the stand would be down, just cap the leads. If it is open when the stand is down, tie the two wires together, and you're done. The TOS, if you just cut the ring, requires no more work. Just tuck it away in the harness somewhere. If you want to take it out, that's a different story. A resistor or diode (?) may be needed and the best way to find out what to do is check with the forums.

plkracer
01-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Ok, so you didn't need a resistor then? I know what everything does, but I was thinking that you said there was a wire somewhere that needed a resistor put in to make the motor run. My TO is still in the harness, and I have the side stand done. When I power up and chnage gears, the engine still acts like it should run since the check engine doesn't come on. (It does when there is no switch, or the kill switch is off.

plkracer
01-24-2007, 09:35 PM
If you take out the TOS, you would need a resistor that matched the same ohm rating. My wiring diagram shows a diode within the side stand, so when I took mine off, I put a diode in the wires.

matchew
01-24-2007, 09:51 PM
As long as it works, that's all that matters. I'm glad you got it to go! Congrats. I just realized your's is newer. I looked in my book - no diode. My apologies.

Bulldog
01-24-2007, 10:30 PM
ok guys I'm still looking for a way to by-pass my TOS for my 03 CBR 954? I did find one other prob. with the key switch on the bike, it was in a frontend crash and broke part of the key switch must have damaged the diode, I also cut apart the TOS to find that the merc. switch was also broke, so is there a way to by-pass or should I order a replacement?

plkracer
01-24-2007, 11:04 PM
If the mercury is totally out of it, test the resistance between the two wires. It shouldn't be open, nor fully closed(No resistance) Get that number, and bring it to radioshack and get a resistor, and solder it in. You can just wire the ignition up like the diagram, and put the diode in the two wires, and have a switch for them, or keep them connected at all times. I'm not sure which to do because I don't know what they go to.

matchew
01-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Again, once you find the wires that are the 'problem' and know what the switch does, just mimic that switch. If it's the security wire, (I'm prolly sounding like a scratched record here) look on the forums for bike riders.

*Take a look here:
* * * www.cbrforum.com (http://www.cbrforum.com)
* * * www.cbr-forum.org.uk (http://www.cbr-forum.org.uk)
* * * forums.cbrworld.net

* If there is a search, type in one or two words of what you want, and start looking! You might also try GOOGLE.