PDA

View Full Version : Master Cylinder Size

PanDa_
11-14-2019, 07:03 PM
So, What size M/C would be good for a 600-700Lb Buggy? Im looking at WilWood's M/C's, will 1/2" Bore be enough for one disc? eventually I'll have front brakes, but I'll upgrade the Master along with the brakes, but for now, would a 1/2" bore be good, or should I go 5/8"?
Was interested in this Kart Master Cylinder, but didnt know if it would be enough https://www.wilwood.com/mastercylinders/MasterCylinderList?group=Kart%20Master%20Cylinder

Thx

K-fab
11-14-2019, 07:17 PM
For a single brake that (1/2”) should be sufficient. If you only add single piston calipers up front, it should still be good but it will have a slightly longer pedal throw with a softer feeling.

The 5/8” will be harder to push and have less throw with the single rear caliper. It’s all about surface area of the master cylinder’s piston versus surface area of caliper pucks. It’s a ratio.

PanDa_
11-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Alright, that's good, also keeps weight down, as it only weighs 8.8oz
So in the buggy, I would need to have floor mounted pedals, similar to race kart ones, or could this be made to use a hanging pedal?

Thx

K-fab
11-14-2019, 10:48 PM
Totally up to you. I prefer a hanging brake pedal but a floor mounted throttle pedal.

Brake pedal has enough pressure/force on the pedal while braking that rough stuff doesn’t tend to interfere with modulation. Throttle, on the other hand, needs to pivot with your ankle so you can use the pedal as a brace and still have control.

Ergonomics are really important.

PanDa_
11-15-2019, 01:51 AM
Alright, Floor mounted seems like an easier approach, but I'll give both a try

PanDa_
11-15-2019, 03:51 PM
So With the Racing Kart MC I could mount it something like this, that way I can still fill reservoir easily, and I have adjustment on the throw, and the bracket to hold the MC will be made with oblong bolt holes for adjustment for pedal throw / ratio. What do you think?

Thx