PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Builder

Cowboy
04-02-2018, 04:35 PM
Hello I am about to start building a ss1000 I was wondering if any one had any advice and pointers going into the build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rat4020
04-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Dam nice buggy your starting on. Welcome to MiniBuggy post lots of build Picts man

ProtoDie
04-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Welcome Cowboy,

first tip,,,,measure twice cut once
2nd tip , wear saftey glasses when grinding or machining

many of the build pics were lost in my build threads when the site was updated a few years back

Beruba did a nice job with pics and documenting his build of the SS1000

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/ss1000-two-seat-race-buggy/19985-protolite-ss-1000-a.html

read thru some of the SS1000 build threads and they may answer questions you may have?

when you start your build , post a lot of pics and any current questions you may have at that stage of your build and the answers will flow.

this is a super helpful forum

jimmyg
04-03-2018, 12:51 AM
Very exciting build.

Thanks for the link Protodie. :cool:

K-fab
04-03-2018, 01:20 AM
Welcome to MBN.

Tack everything then once done go back and weld. Just a spot or two, not full welding until you’re almost done.

Deranged
04-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Welcome!! And I echo all above who have posted. Take lots of pictures, measure a lot and don't fully weld until it's almost done. We got your back!!!

Now get a tackin'!

Justin

Beruba
04-05-2018, 01:38 AM
[smilie=sign_welcom:To Minibuggy.net, Please start a thread & post lots of pictures. I will follow your build answer any question you have and give you advise along the way. Look at my build thread I think it is well detailed. It would be good to see some action on this site its been quiet lately. What are you going to use for power plant?

Cowboy
04-05-2018, 02:01 AM
[smilie=sign_welcom:To Minibuggy.net, Please start a thread & post lots of pictures. I will follow your build answer any question you have and give you advise along the way. Look at my build thread I think it is well detailed. It would be good to see some action on this site its been quiet lately. What are you going to use for power plant?

I am going to be using a turbo busa engine

Beruba
04-05-2018, 02:26 AM
That will be interesting. I like it.

Cowboy
04-05-2018, 02:47 AM
That will be interesting. I like it.

Expecting to have it at 500hp with a medium size turbo on 18 psi

ProtoDie
04-05-2018, 07:32 PM
that will be cool.
a stock GSXR 1000 @ 185hp in an SS1000 has a ton of power and torque.
I hit 120 mph (GPS) on an asphalt road course

500hp,,,,,, [smilie=scared.gif]:cool:

plkracer
04-06-2018, 12:50 AM
Just a suggestion, but you may want to build it more toward the reliable side rather than brute hp. (Unless your bank account is bottomless, then you can do both!)

My stock busa is hard on the driveline, I can't imagine a 500hp motor being very gentle on the transmission and aluminum cases.

Kuma
04-06-2018, 07:10 PM
what are you doing to the motor? my understanding is a stock gen 1 will handle about 7 or 8 psi and put out about 275 hp, making 500 you'll have to do quite a bit, pistons, rods, injectors, studs far starters, unless sand drags are your thing you'll have way more than you need, I have stock gen 1, it gets pretty good, no one is loosing me in the dunes and they'll have a time keeping pace.
Only a suggestion but I would get it going with some low boost and see if you feel it really needs more, your trans gears are going to need to live too.

My plan was get it going, then FNR box then Turbo, possibly swap the turbo and FNR but I think first I need to dial in the suspension before more power, the car will just about lift the front tires now in a turn, once that happens you are no longer turning.

All that said, if you have the will, then I want to see it, pictures of the build, videos of it running :)

Cowboy
04-06-2018, 08:14 PM
I am going to fully tear apart the block and rebuild it from the ground up bigger everything same with the trans I am going to make it stout as possible this is going to be a purpose build street/ off-road build 500hp is a lot that is for sure but thatís just what it will be capable of with the power restriction on it most time it will run about 350hp

Kuma
04-09-2018, 07:12 PM
I'm looking forward to this, pictures and build thread please

Cowboy
06-09-2018, 08:28 PM
So guys I have thought about using a Honda b16 whatís your guys opinion think it would fit

Deranged
06-11-2018, 10:20 AM
IMO, the Proto car would be perfect for a Busa engine as originally stated.
If you d a B16 what would you use for a trans?
If you were to do a B16, I would look into one of the larger 2 seat cars. My old rorty is a perfect size for a B16 with a CVT and an RPM. Iv'e got a little ole GSXR 750 in my single seat and it RIPS.

Justin

K-fab
06-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Honda car engine is reverse rotation. If you go the CVT route you’ll have to get in touch with ATV Racing in Phoenix and talk to Neil about the needed parts.

that engine vibrates really badly in the 4K range.

Cowboy
06-11-2018, 03:36 PM
Itís just a idea I am kind looking at different options as the rear engine cradle is kinda pricey for me right now so looking at my options

boilermaker
06-12-2018, 12:29 AM
Is it more pricey than a built up 500 hp Bursa? Cradle makes it easy to mount and remove which is good.

Cowboy
06-12-2018, 12:33 AM
Well parts for the busa I can get a pretty good discount on being that my brother builds bikes for a living engine cradle I can not but I see your point