PDA

View Full Version : FOX Coil over vs FOX Air shocks for Barracuda

Superlite
08-30-2017, 12:52 AM
Hi Everyone

I was going to post a question via Forums after seeing JET's Barracuda build.

What should I consider when choosing between the FOX Coilover vs FOX Air / Nitrogen shocks ?

I am currently building a Barracuda and noticed JET used the FOX Air / Nitrogen units.

Would be great to get everyone's feedback and advice.

Many thanks in advance.

cheers
Chris

Mittagong N.S.W

Edge user…….Superlite

Mini Buggy.net (http://buggy.net/) user….…Superlite

bdkw1
08-30-2017, 01:13 AM
Coil-overs cost more to set up. But they will work much better though.

CARLRIDDLE
08-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Depends on what type of driving you intend on. Play or racing?
As BDKW1 says, money. Shock about same, but springs are extra, and most run dual springs so now ya at 8 springs. And ya need to get em right or ya got to change spring rates. Many will exchange 1st time so long as still new condition.

Deranged
08-30-2017, 10:46 AM
Coil-overs. One big advantage is the use of 2 different rate springs. You car can sit lower in the travel and not get as much body roll as you would with an air shock. I had air shocks on my rorty car and it did pretty good, but would have been even better with coilovers and bypasses, but that's a whole different story. My AR-51 I went with King coilovers with compression adjusters. So far, I am glad I spent the extra coin on the better shocks.

Justin

Superlite
08-31-2017, 03:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the input........This Cuda will be for play......so I need to make my purchases cost effective as possible. Any ideas of shock model numbers etc ? Looking at King & FOX... Air / Nitro for both.

cheers
Chris

bdkw1
08-31-2017, 10:16 PM
Probably the cheapest way to go for a good performing shock.

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/collections/shocks-accessories/products/ballistic-air-shock-with-piggy-back?variant=21326600327

Save yourself the headache, do not by airshocks without resivoirs.

plkracer
09-02-2017, 03:32 AM
Agreed with bdkw1, after the third whoop, the oil is so foamed they are basically worthless for dampening. I jacked the damping up past 90 and all it did was make it unbearable until the oil and nitrogen mixed to a frothy slurry.

Sure, they were ok just tootling around the farm, and would probably be fine for a groomed track with spaced out jumps, but the real world is pretty hard on stuff.

Deranged
09-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Probably the cheapest way to go for a good performing shock.

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/collections/shocks-accessories/products/ballistic-air-shock-with-piggy-back?variant=21326600327

Save yourself the headache, do not by airshocks without resivoirs.

Too bad there aren't bypass tubes on those! Perfect for little cars!

Justin

bdkw1
09-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Too bad there aren't bypass tubes on those! Perfect for little cars!

They make by-pass ones. King does also, I just ordered 4 from King as they are cheaper than ballistic with the tubes.

Deranged
09-02-2017, 09:24 PM
They make by-pass ones. King does also, I just ordered 4 from King as they are cheaper than ballistic with the tubes.

You are right. Kings are 2.5's I would be very interested how they do on the smaller cars like the single seat cars that don't have the room for the typical coilover and bypass set up. Seems like the way to go! Seems it's a 2.5" with a nitrogen charge holding the car up and dialing in the bypass would be WAAYY nice.

Justin

bdkw1
09-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Only problem with running just a by-pass is you give up low-speed control or bump zone. Unless you get creative with the spring rates for the comp by-pass valves.

Deranged
09-03-2017, 01:48 AM
Only problem with running just a by-pass is you give up low-speed control or bump zone. Unless you get creative with the spring rates for the comp by-pass valves.
With the low speed, you could get creative with a flutter stack maybe? Well, bump zone would be a bump stop at that point, IMO

Justin

bdkw1
09-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Flutter stack would make the lack of low speed control even worse. It would also really cut down on the effectiveness of the bump zone.

Deranged
09-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Flutter stack would make the lack of low speed control even worse. It would also really cut down on the effectiveness of the bump zone.

I just thought about how that would work. You are correct.

Justin

evawkcohS
10-03-2020, 07:19 AM
Hi,
I'm running 2" Fox Airshocks and they work very well for forests and free roam. I got it street legal a few weeks ago and also onroad im happy with it.
Through the nitrogen the pressure rate is progressive. When correct adjusted the shocks cant push to theire limiters.